• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've finished Fairy Fencer F today, or rather decided to abandon my futile quest to 100% it, that's why

I gave up as well.

Even with the DLC, the grind is abominable.

By comparison the Neptunia games take +/- 30 hours to 100%.
IFI was smoking crack when they came up with the money & monster trophies/achievements.

rtcn63

I have a request: What are games I can buy on PS3 that are available on PC, but are better choices because of lack of GFW/DRM/near unplayability etc.?

Humble Play and Create with Gamemaker bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • YoYo RPG
  • Another Perspective
  • WizardWizard
  • Spoiler Alert
  • Death Ray Manta
TIER 2: 6$
  • Gamemaker Studio Pro
  • Stealth Bastard Deluxe
  • Savant Ascent
  • Detective Case and Clown Bot in Murder in The Hotel Lisbon
  • 10 Second Ninja
  • Super Crate Box
  • source code to some tier 1 games
TIER 3: 12$
  • Game Maker Studio Android Export Module
  • More source code
  • Wasteland Kings

giphy.gif

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I have a request: What are games I can buy on PS3 that are available on PC, but are better choices because of lack of GFW/DRM/near unplayability etc.?

Deadly Premonition, maybe? I heard the PC port was garbage and had crash issues.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Between PS3 versions of games and PC versions: depending on your PC hardware not being more than 7ish years old, you're almost always better off buying on PC regardless of the DRM situation. You're going to have better looking graphics and the games themselves will almost always play at a smoother framerate.

That being said - I personally played quite a few Ubisoft games on the PS3 (such as Far Cry 3 / Blood Dragon) because I'm not a fan of Uplay in the least. But I also did so knowing full well that the PC would provide better overall performance - I just didn't care because fuck Ubisoft and their bullshit PC antics.

EDIT: As Turfster said, GTA4 is by far the worst offender and is probably the answer you're looking for.

derExperte

GTA4 isn't a good experience on oldgen consoles, runs really poorly. Also mods. And Bulletstorm looks/runs great if you can get past the GFWL hurdle. Maybe Saints Row 2 but that's terrible on PS3 too, probably more stable though.

Maybe the FFXIII ports, maybe anything ubisoft because their PC optimization policy is a middle finger.

I can't think of an Ubisoft game that doesn't perform much, much better on PC. Especially the lastgen ones, AC2 war a slowdown/tear-fest on PS3, AC3 even worse.

Caerith

Maybe the FFXIII ports, maybe anything ubisoft because their PC optimization policy is a middle finger.

Turfster

GTA4 isn't a good experience on oldgen consoles, runs really poorly. Also mods. And Bulletstorm looks/runs great if you can get past the GFWL hurdle. Maybe Saints Row 2 but that's terrible on PS3 too, probably more stable though.

Trufax: I haven't been able to run GTA4 and Bulletstorm on PC precisely because of Microsoft's gonorrhea-dripping "addition" to the PC ecosystem.

And fuck the companies that still haven't removed that puss-filled boil on their games.
Fuck them hard.
Get secondhand PS3 copies.

Nabs

Care to share your config?
Just post screenshots of relevant DS4Windows if possible.

I forgot you rocked DS4Windows as well. Here are the basic steps to the cast signs:

Unbind R2 entirely in DS4W, then set it as the shift modifier. I use the 4 face buttons and L2 as my 5 sign triggers. Setting that up is pretty simple: double click the button, click on macro, enable both record delays and scancode, then record and press one of the numbers (3-7), then Q quickly.

That's it. Just do that 5 times, and you're gold. I'd post my swipes, but I think I'm going to change a few things around. Just remember to use scan code with the W3.

Arthea

my review is the last post on the page? I thought someone will post before me for sure! Now nobody will read it, aww

Very similar to me - gave up with same 3 achievements missing and 105 hours in.

I can only conclude that the 100m gold achievement is a cruel joke by the devs.

I gave up as well.

IFI was smoking crack when they came up with the money & monster trophies/achievements.

There is one good thing that came out of all this debacle with horrible achievements, now we have even better idea how skewed statistics is and how many people cheat. Of course, there are those that did even those atrocious achievements fairly, but their number is so small that it can be negligible. So about 3,5% of people cheated to get that 100 mln achievement, that throws all global achievement statistics out of the window unfortunately.

ArjanN

There is one good thing that came out of all this debacle with horrible achievements, now we have even better idea how skewed statistics is and how many people cheat. Of course, there are those that did even those atrocious achievements fairly, but their number is so small that it can be negligible. So about 3,5% of people cheated to get that 100 mln achievement, that throws all global achievement statistics out of the window unfortunately.

I just checked an console achievement guide and it says that if you're grinding optimally (with the DLC) that money achievement takes about 10 hours, which, while still mindnumbing is not impossible.

There's probably some cheaters there though (because honestly I'd expect an achievement like that to be <1%) but you can't really apply that to achievement statistics in general.

derExperte

Trufax: I haven't been able to run GTA4 and Bulletstorm on PC precisely because of Microsoft's gonorrhea-dripping "addition" to the PC ecosystem.

And fuck the companies that still haven't removed that puss-filled boil on their games.
Fuck them hard.
Get secondhand PS3 copies.

I'd rather deal with GFWL than the Dualshock 3. Come at me.

I'd rather deal with GFWL than the Dualshock 3. Come at me.

you can use a DS4 on a PS3 though. I know i did when i played through The Darkness about a year ago.

It was one of those games that use the shitty mushy convex L2 and R2 on the DS3 for shooting so being able to use the DS4's triggers instead was a godsend

Arthea

I just checked an console achievement guide and it says that if you're grinding optimally (with the DLC) that money achievement takes about 10 hours, which, while still mindnumbing is not impossible.

That's simply not true, I bought dlc because that was my idea as well, that dlc dungeons should make it faster/easier, but it's not 10 hours, I'm way past 10 hours of grinding and with all possible bonuses also, here is screenshot of first dlc dungeon, I'm not even at 30 mln yet.

Also I know from steam boards that people cheated it and I know why, I thought maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not, there is no way to make fast money in this game, without dlc it probably takes literally ages to do.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
you can use a DS4 on a PS3 though. I know i did when i played through The Darkness about a year ago.

It was one of those games that use the shitty mushy convex L2 and R2 on the DS3 for shooting so being able to use the DS4's triggers instead was a godsend

I wish Sony would "officially" support it though. The PS button not kicking back to the XMB menu made it a bit of a pain. But I agree, still infinitely better than DS3.

rtcn63

I use the DS3 with my PC, so. It's not perfect, but I don't play games competitively, and it's decent enough.

How's Haze? It's a $1 used from Gamestop. Dark Sector too for that matter.

That's simply not true, I bought dlc because that was my idea as well, that dlc dungeons should make it faster/easier, but it's not 10 hours, I'm way past 10 hours of grinding and with all possible bonuses also, here is screenshot of first dlc dungeon, I'm not even at 30 mln yet.

Also I know from steam boards that people cheated it and I know why, I thought maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not, there is no way to make fast money in this game, without dlc it probably takes literally ages to do.

The last DLC dungeon has better money gains.
But yeah it's still ridiculous.

Any achievement that requires 10+ hours of straight grinding is nuts.

Dark Sector too for that matter.
I had fun with that game when I played through it on the 360. Decapitating soldiers with an oversized shuriken in slow-motion is quite entertaining.
Couldn't get into the PC version though (probably because the port job is ASSSSSS).

Annubis

I gave up as well.

Personally, I'd just cheat the number of battle fought and money with CheatEngine =/

I wish Sony would "officially" support it though. The PS button not kicking back to the XMB menu made it a bit of a pain. But I agree, still infinitely better than DS3.

i know there's a way now to play wirelessly with the DS4 but i've been too lazy to bother so i just run a long USB cable and call it a day lol

And i was already used to that issue from using my Sega Saturn USB pads on the PS3 so when i noticed that it didn't work i wasnt even bothered by it

Phawx

So is Gamemaker Studio Pro good for a complete beginner who has absolutely zero coding knowledge?

I think the bigger bonus is that you'll get the source code to a few games. Also the classic splunky source code is available.

Sometimes that's a very good way to learn.

Arthea

The last DLC dungeon has better money gains.
But yeah it's still ridiculous.

Any achievement that requires 10+ hours of straight grinding is nuts.

I had fun with that game when I played through it on the 360. Decapitating soldiers with an oversized shuriken in slow-motion is quite entertaining.
Couldn't get into the PC version though (probably because the port job is ASSSSSS).

but it's not 10 hours! it's much more than 10 hours, you don't start magically with levels high enough to enter the last dungeon and grind there, I finished game with 30-60 level characters, I had to grind even to go to the first dungeon, I dropped being 500-ish levels in the second dungeon when I noticed that money ratio got even worse! than in the first dungeon, I got so pissed off that I could not continue and having only 20 mln helped of course.

Personally, I'd just cheat the number of battle fought and money with CheatEngine =/

but what's the point? The only person that cares about your achievements is you, why would you care for something you know you cheated. I wouldn't do such a thing, it ruins achievements in general. I would stop caring at all, I mean.

Kyougar

But, I probably won't. Not because I'm lazy, just because I don't really have the time to invest in something like that right now.

That sounds so casual from you ^^

like when you see an awesome stunt in a video and be like: "Eh, I also could do that, but I don't.

rtcn63

I'm also thinking about finally picking up a PS4, since second-hand Bloodborne and Infamous Second Son have been going for $20 or less. But Black Friday is around the corner...

MUnited83

For you.
Regarding the appeal of source code: if you're looking into making a game, looking at the source code of various games is pretty helpful. It helps you understand how certain things were achieved and how games work benhind the scenes. It also lets you experiment with the code, possible even iterating of it.

Annubis

but what's the point? The only person that cares about your achievements is you, why would you care for something you know you cheated. I wouldn't do such a thing, it ruins achievements in general. I would stop caring at all, I mean.

Being a completionist is a bitch.

LORD had those acheevos on 9/01 so meh

I'm also thinking about finally picking up a PS4, since second-hand Bloodborne and Infamous Second Son have been going for $20 or less. But Black Friday is around the corner...

infamous is a great 4 hour game that happens to be 7-8 hours long.

But yeah BB seems to be well regarded so sure

jshackles

That sounds so casual from you ^^

like when you see an awesome stunt in a video and be like: "Eh, I also could do that, but I don't.

Haha true.

It's honestly something I've always wanted to do - and with my background in programming and my love of gaming I'm actually a bit surprised it hasn't happened already. With Steam being a pretty open platform these days, the barrier for entry is even lower.

My problem is legitimately that making a game takes time. And while I'm sure I could squeeze in a few hours here and there, it would take me quite a while to finish at that pace. There's also the issue of monetization: if I'm charging money for the game I make I feel like I should be able to support it better than what my few spare hours a week would be able to accommodate for. On the flip side, I don't think I'd ever make enough sales to be able to comfortably leave my day job because let's face it: shit's expensive.

Maybe some day when my kids are both grown and move out of the house and/or in 25 years when I retire. Or if the US ever gets universal and affordable health care.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Haha true.

It's honestly something I've always wanted to do - and with my background in programming and my love of gaming I'm actually a bit surprised it hasn't happened already. With Steam being a pretty open platform these days, the barrier for entry is even lower.

My problem is legitimately that making a game takes time. And while I'm sure I could squeeze in a few hours here and there, it would take me quite a while to finish at that pace. There's also the issue of monetization: if I'm charging money for the game I make I feel like I should be able to support it better than what my few spare hours a week would be able to accommodate for. On the flip side, I don't think I'd ever make enough sales to be able to comfortably leave my day job because let's face it: shit's expensive.

Maybe some day when my kids are both grown and move out of the house and/or in 25 years when I retire. Or if the US ever gets universal and affordable health care.

I had a dream where I made an event driven electronic board/card adventure game inspired by King of Dragon Pass where you play as a Pickle, Tomato, or other members of the vegetable kingdom and run for elected office. Alas, a dream it will forever be.

jshackles

I had a dream where I made an event driven electronic board/card adventure game inspired by King of Dragon Pass where you play as a Pickle, Tomato, or other members of the vegetable kingdom and run for elected office. Alas, a dream it will forever be.

Don't let your dreams be dreams Stump

Arthea

I never wanted to make a game, I always wanted for more wonderful games being made for me to play.
yup, I'm lazy like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom