• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux, took me about 4 hours, got all the achievements too, wish I liked it more than I did, it looks fantastic and has an okay story, it just felt really bland and uninspired, the premise is cool with some interesting story telling bits but overall I just didn't find myself enjoying it a whole lot.

Anastasia

Those days are long gone.. :(

More often than not, yeah. :/

yeah, that's true

i also think the fact that delays haven't exactly translated into better games, at least not regularly enough, is another big factor

i don't think most ppl here would agree, but i actually really enjoy getting hyped for games and all the excitement around crazy e3 reveals and crap. i like it when they do lots of teasers and args and all that crap i don't have time to bother studying but i really like the expectation from these things, so i kind of don't mind the earlier announcements, but i think it would probably be a lot healthier for the industry if the marketing ppl chilled the fuck off lol

I get excited for stuff around E3 and other events too, but I think that studios/publishers/whatever just need to be more careful when it comes to announcing release dates and talking about how development is coming along. You have to be careful about when and how you build up expectations for a product. But there's too much carelessness going on, and that leads to people having the wrong idea. Don't announce shit when you don't need to, and don't make people aware of details they don't need to be aware of yet.

Just finished the 'Voices' chapter in MGS.

That was fucked up.

Language is serious business yo

Just submitted my first refund request. Should I wait a bit before submitting another one?
2379004-jeff_headshake.gif

The problem is, devs publishers tend to announce release dates too early nowadays. Fallout 4 announcement is the perfect spot for me, only several months until release.
Things can go wrong in developments.

Fixed that for you.

What it boils down to is publisher confidence in the developer and the product. Zenimax has confidence in Bethesda and their products, multi-million sellers with long tail sales. Fallout and Elderscrolls are established, evergreen products. Zenimax knows they're not going to have much of an issue convincing retailers to stock millions of copies of their game.

Salsa

I truly cannot bring myself to finish the stuff I have left in MGSV for some reason (basically Quiet's ending)

downloading Wolfenstein The New Order rather than finishing Axiom Verge and Ori too

fuck it

Anastasia

I truly cannot bring myself to finish the stuff I have left in MGSV for some reason (basically Quiet's ending)

downloading Wolfenstein The New Order rather than finishing Axiom Verge and Ori too

fuck it

I thought the ending for Quiet was pretty good, even if I would have preferred them to not do what they did with her character in the game itself.

WB deals this weekend.
Is this LOTR game worth it? I've never heard of this game, but reviews seem positive.

I'm going to pick up Gauntlet as well, it's finally on sale.

Teggy

I don't have to finish Persona 3 and 4 this year and have all of next year to play the Kingdom Hearts series. Today was good for my sanity.

Dsyndrome

Star Fox delayed to 2016. Where is Nintendo's God now?

Final final done tomorrow, looking to finish Stasis; made a valiant effort last night, but got to be 1:00AM, and I had to study all day and function.

zkylon

zkylewd
A lot of gamers/Gaffers are naive about gaming development. I mean I can see it with Pokemon Go, I saw it with the Wii. So many ideas that can not be realized, but people believe in it.
People believe in bullshot-trailer and even defend the devs saying "its still 1 year till then. I am sure it will look like that" (Division before the inevitable downgrade).
People thinking when a dev says "You can do everything", you really will be able to do everything.

Its not just marketing people. Its also the gamers who are at fault (concerning defending delays, bugs, bad games etc.).
yeah this is true, tho i guess u can blame regular people a lot less than like the average gaffer that should just know better at this point to play along and later get outraged

This is a weird statement since, well, i can guarantee that 100% of the time those delays led to better games.
ok replace better with good

delays didn't make good games out of ass unity or watch dogs or whatever

can't think of many other examples atm, was just watching rocky horror picture show again and all my head can do is sing along to those awesome ass songs

it can be good, like in witcha or whatever, but things like watch dogs burn ppl's trust

I get excited for stuff around E3 and other events too, but I think that studios/publishers/whatever just need to be more careful when it comes to announcing release dates and talking about how development is coming along. You have to be careful about when and how you build up expectations for a product. But there's too much carelessness going on, and that leads to people having the wrong idea. Don't announce shit when you don't need to, and don't make people aware of details they don't need to be aware of yet.
i guess

i don't really get too hung up over delays cos i see them as a natural thing that happens in games development since it's not always an easy thing to predict

same with visual downgrades or cut content or whatever thing riles ppl up

So like yes or no question, no need to get into details: is it ever revealed who Ishmael or whoever the bandaged guy was in the prologue? I dont think hes dead since in the prologue his body disappears. I just beat
the metal gear with that compliced ass name. Watching the credits atm

So like yes or no question, no need to get into details: is it ever revealed who Ishmael or whoever the bandaged guy was in the prologue? I dont think hes dead since in the prologue his body disappears. I just beat
the metal gear with that compliced ass name. Watching the credits atm

Yes.

You'll hate Kojima when you find out.

Anteater

this game runs and looks pretty damn bad

what is happening

try turning off screen space reflection, it's pretty costy in wolfenstein.

it doesn't have AA on by default and it has a grain filter so it looks pretty ass

it uses a lot of vram if you don't turn on compression if i remember correctly

Yes.

You'll hate Kojima when you find out.
Ok cool. Also wtf, (chapter 2 intro cutscene spoiler)
wasmy boy miller blind this entire time and i didnt notice? Also my boy is getting more salty every time he talks, i bet the twist is that miller becomes a bad guy or something, this man is far too salty to not turn bad(dont tell me if he actually turns bad pls)

zkylon

zkylewd
In the age of CryEngine and Unreal 4 being free/cheap, do these smaller tools/engines even matter?

No, seriously. I don't know. I'm asking.
i haven't tried much of ue or cryengine but the barrier of entry to things like unity3d and gm is really small so yea, they matter

there's no reason to use a fancy 3d engine if you all you want to do is a simple 2d game

Salsa

yeah for real

I never got the idtech 5 complaints cause other stuff was fine

but im at a loss here. I turned off what's been recommended (screen reflections), have shadow res on medium etc

managed vsync by forcing it through nvidia driver for now and dealing with mouse crappiness

=

game runs like ass. sub-par awful framerate, not a looker by any chance (some of this geometry barf) and my card is not straining at all, so Idk what the fuck is bottlenecking or whatever. I have that texture streaming saving option enabled

what is this ass garbage

edit: framerate is bad even with everything on Low

something's up.

It ran okay for me on a i5-2500k and 7850 but it was by no means ideal, the engine just has a lot of weird quirks to it that are hard to pinpoint the cause.

EDIT: Some of the problems I had were AMD specific if I remember right, saw that you have Nvidia so I'm not sure how much help I can be.

MUnited83

For you.
In the age of CryEngine and Unreal 4 being free/cheap, do these smaller tools/engines even matter?

No, seriously. I don't know. I'm asking.

It's a pretty good engine for 2D games, which while can be done in CryEngine and Unreal 4 it's not really what those engines excel at. It's also easier to learn and make things with little programming knowledge.

That and:

6$ to have a good engine and don't pay a single cent more no matter how much sucessful your game is

vs

Having to pay royalties if you make more than a certain amount of money.

Dsyndrome

Guess not. I might've just inferred it from it being 1080P 60FPS on both consoles. Ran fine for me, but my laptop's not typical.

Salsa

after the intro its even weirder cause it ocassionally gets super smooth and then it gets shot to shit, but there's no telling on what causes it, no effect no more anything on screen..

idk what's up but im bummed.

sprinkles

WB deals this weekend.
Is this LOTR game worth it? I've never heard of this game, but reviews seem positive.

I'm going to pick up Gauntlet as well, it's finally on sale.
It's a fun little game, great to play coop too. I love that specific part of the world in the Tolkien lore though, so that probably boosted my enjoyment a bit.

Got my partial refund from dischan for the failed Dysfunctional Systems kickstarter. Didn't think they would actually come though. Still a shame the project didn't work out.
Oh I gotta check my CC balance. Yeah, that failed developement of the sequel was a real shame. The first episode is one of my favorite Visual Novels, such a great story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom