• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyougar

Yeah, the beta update was the issue.

I was weak and bought the TW Humble bundle, And I have most of the games already. Bought it just for Rome II which isnt even good :(

I will check if my buddy wants some of them, Modbot gets the rest. (be on the lookout for Shogun II in the next 3 to 4 hours ;) )

I bought the Oddbox. I have been wanting to play Stranger's Wrath for a while.

I have the Vita version but I think I prefer to play it on PC.

i did the same thing. Even though i finished it on the Vita i wanted to get Munch's to prepare for the upcoming redo of it on PC and i figured what the hell i'll have a better version of SW too while im at it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hook is OK, true
went through 50 levels yesterday, simple, but not bad.
i tend to dislike it a lot when puzzle games just bombard you with samey levels over and over again

i get it that puzzle games sometimes are meant to be relaxing timekiller things, but i wish those kind of games respected my time more

hexcells is perfect in that sense, just enough levels for you to become a master at it without having to "grind" levels in between.

while something like lyne i liked quite a bit but i also found it had way too much filler that probably wasn't needed and just got in the way of me pushing forward to more advanced levels of the game.

cos like, even if it's a "different" level, if it doesn't expand the main puzzle mechanic or present it in a different way then it's kind of a waste of time imo

FloatOn

cities skylines looks beautiful and the after dark dlc looks great but I'm a huge dummy when it comes to city builders.

now, if it's more along the lines of rollercoaster tycoon I could handle it but sim city and such is a no go.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
cities skylines looks beautiful and the after dark dlc looks great but I'm a huge dummy when it comes to city builders.

now, if it's more along the lines of rollercoaster tycoon I could handle it but sim city and such is a no go.

I'm really not that good myself when it comes to these kind of games, but I had no problem building massive working cities in Skylines.

I would say it's noob and beginner friendly :p

I really need to go back to skylines. Played about a hour and was like
xVyoSl.jpg

Maniac

Banned
I'm really sorry, I never posted but as a cat lover I was really hoping you'd get a happy ending.

As was I, which I guess is obvious. It's gonna be really hard to go on... I keep thinking I'll see her in the window sill, looking as dumb as always. Or that I'll wake up and she'll be lying asleep next to me with a tiny bit of drool dripping off the side of her daft little head...

It's... Hard.
Thats really terrible. :(
It really is. This has been one awful year for me thus far. :|

Copons

It is indeed totally noob friendly.

I've been playing city builders for more than 20 years (I can't even remember if I started with SimCity 1 or SimCity SNES) so I may be a little biased, but compared to other games, this was indeed the easiest to get in and do whatever I wanted.

Just remember that if you start off by building hundreds of miles of roads and dozens of coal power plants you'll be broke in no time, and you'll be totally fine.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll say SOMA is quite a bit different than Frictional's previous horror game attempts. Much more narratively focused, the monsters feel more like back-drop, BUT ALSO I personally feel the monsters are the best monsters Frictional has provided, they have some inspirations on their sleeve showing (though I would argue Penumbra and Amnesia had this too), but they have their own fun twists and encounter scenarios. The monsters are very inconsistent, but I feel they're designed well. Also unlike Amnesia and Penumbra where encounters felt very same-y, these do feel quite a bit different, both due to design of the locations but also the four monsters I've encountered so far all behaving quite a bit differently. The last couple of monsters I've encountered I will admit gave me a bit of a scare, though the second to last one was obviously at least somewhat inspired by
Slenderman, due to how it will teleport to you if you look at it and you have to not look at it to get away.

Arthea

i tend to dislike it a lot when puzzle games just bombard you with samey levels over and over again

i get it that puzzle games sometimes are meant to be relaxing timekiller things, but i wish those kind of games respected my time more

hexcells is perfect in that sense, just enough levels for you to become a master at it without having to "grind" levels in between.

while something like lyne i liked quite a bit but i also found it had way too much filler that probably wasn't needed and just got in the way of me pushing forward to more advanced levels of the game.

cos like, even if it's a "different" level, if it doesn't expand the main puzzle mechanic or present it in a different way then it's kind of a waste of time imo

not really, it's not that simple. In its core every game makes you repeat the same thing over and over without expanding much on gameplay mechanics if at all, people play roguelitelikeish games every day and don't have problem even with that.
It's like you are saying that only the very first game of chess is fun because later it's the same game, rules and mechanics don't change.
Puzzle gaming often is about addictiveness (not unlike arcade games), for example let's take Letter Quest, according to your definition it is a filler the game, because you just make words of letters all game long and there are no any other mechanics present (there are upgrades, but that's an RPG part, not puzzle part) and it is a long game. So why do we play it? Because we like the process. If you don't like the process, no additional rules or mechanics will change that in any significant way. It's true for most puzzle games. That's why I like LYNE so much, because I like process and calming, zen effect, not because it is OMG awesome puzzle game. Even Hexcells you name as example how puzzle games should be made have a lot of filler and introduces only couple of new things during all those levels.

I enjoyed the Mad Max movie but it's seriously overrated.

I agree. It was a good movie but people are seriously hyperbolic about how good. "Embarrasses all action movies from the last two decades"? Please

But man, who wouldn't want to pay $32 for 1 year worth of premium access to Random MOBA #35? That's like the deal of the century.

At this point I'd be concerned whether it will even come out of early access and/or have servers running a year from now.

Anyway I was checking out the Total War humble bumble and it's still missing a bunch of things from the Grandmaster Collection. Okay, it makes sense that they perhaps wouldn't want to give away the whole kaboodle in a bundle. But then you have things like the Shogun 2 collection which is in the bundle but it doesn't actually include half the DLC released for the game. What kind of collection is that? Instead they do include all these random spin off F2P(?) games which no one has ever heard of. Still a good deal but the amount of content available for the series is a bit of a clusterfuck now.

madjoki

Wasn't there leaked Just Cause 3 build with micro-transactions?

So most likely it & Hitman will have too.
Hopefully I'm wrong.

Deques

This garbage needs to stop, really. We already pay 70€ for a game (or 60€ in case of AAA PC titles), why we need to take out money for in-game stuff.
I can understand DLCs, but microtransations are a crappy thing that shoould be related to F2P only titles.

Just don't buy those in-app stuff. I hope they won't add "reload faster 60 times" and make reloading takes 10 real minutes

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Van Helsing Complete is worth a write up. Probably the biggest loot game ever in terms of content.

You should write something up and send me a PM. ;)

Oh I'll try do a write up on TF:D if I get the time and PM you.

Awesome, thanks!

I really want to write something for Sword Coast Legends, but my grammar is pretty shit I'll make the game sounds worse than it is instead. Someone please make one. :D
Oh, and don't forget about D:OS definitive edition as well.

Don't let bad grammar get in the way of a recommendation
just look at Prinny's Mad Max rec in the OP lol
. I'm actually more than happy to proofread anything that gets sent my way if you'd like.

Ludens

Banned
Just don't buy those in-app stuff. I hope they won't add "reload faster 60 times" and make reloading takes 10 real minutes

Of course I won't buy them, but they have no place in a 70€ AAA title and that's it. The "no buy" thing is a no-no, since there are people actually spending money on this so they will put them in their next title. I wouldn't be surprised if Deus Ex will have microtrans too.

I agree. It was a good movie but people are seriously hyperbolic about how good. "Embarrasses all action movies from the last two decades"? Please

youre gonna have to make a list now of blockbuster films with better action in them from the last 20 years

I normally despise lists but if youre gonna call me out i gotta check that

know in advance that your list is going to be terrible and wrong for so many reasons, though

zkylon

zkylewd
not really, it's not that simple. In its core every game makes you repeat the same thing over and over without expanding much on gameplay mechanics if at all, people play roguelitelikeish games every day and don't have problem even with that.
It's like you are saying that only the very first game of chess is fun because later it's the same game, rules and mechanics don't change.
Puzzle gaming often is about addictiveness (not unlike arcade games), for example let's take Letter Quest, according to your definition it is a filler the game, because you just make words of letters all game long and there are no any other mechanics present (there are upgrades, but that's an RPG part, not puzzle part) and it is a long game. So why do we play it? Because we like the process. If you don't like the process, no additional rules or mechanics will change that in any significant way. It's true for most puzzle games. That's why I like LYNE so much, because I like process and calming, zen effect, not because it is OMG awesome puzzle game. Even Hexcells you name as example how puzzle games should be made have a lot of filler and introduces only couple of new things during all those levels.
you misunderstand me

like i said, it doesn't have to have a new mechanic or rule to be considered "not filler", but it has to have either a forward (new mechanics) or lateral (new use of those mechanics) shift that reveals new sides of itself for it not to be a timewaster. it doesn't have to be fundamentally different, but it has to be different enough , it can't be a slightly different version of the same puzzle, it needs to make you appreciate the mechanics from a different angle for it to be really "meaningful".

it's kind of hard to understand and i prolly do a bad job of explaining it, but i'll give u an example with hexcells infinite. if u played it u know the game has that randomized mode that just makes a random level for you. now i dunno if you played many of those, but i've done like the 40 you need for the achievement, and playing every single of those levels, even if they used different mechanics from the game and different layouts it was kind of always the same process in my head to solve them. there were no eureka moments or things that make you go wow or have a better understanding of the game, they were all the same puzzle with a different hat.

now the real game levels, there's just a few of them and like u say they mostly just use the same mechanics as the levels before them, but because they're hand crafted and designed around you figuring them out in a certain way they're much more enjoyable and rewarding to go through. i think there's somethign to be said about hexcells 2 and 3 being kind of filler since i don't think i got as much from them as i did from hexcells 1, but just the main levels from any of those games on their own all feel like you're learning more about the game and getting better at it, not just grinding out the same thing over and over

using your example of chess, the thing about chess is that the board and pieces is the same every time but the players are different and the depth of its mechanics is so insane that no two games are the same. and while the pieces behave the same every game, the players use them in ways that reveals new things about the game mechanics and that's why the game is so insanely well designed. same with go, or even tetris, which does something similar with randomization and just how much mastery you can achieve in that game. the rules might be the same but the experience is different every time because you learn a little bit more about playing the game

and randomization or multiplayer isn't just the be all of that, the game needs to have enough depth to feed off those. something like tic tac toe is multiplayer but you try it a few times and that's it, there's a solution to that game that ends there and that's it. and there are games that use randomization in ways that don't necessarily show off anything new, you can play a billion games of solitaire but every game is kind of the same

so like, it's fine to like games that repeat themselves over and over, but i think there are better uses for ur time than that. just like crossing off markers off witcher 3, i feel like insane level counts on puzzle games are pretty much turning our brains off and just going through the motions, and it's really easy to fall into that trap and i kind of really dislike that.

edit: "adictiveness" as you put it is not something i want out of videogames and i really hate it when i fall into that with open world games like saints row and witcha. personally i don't find anything valuable in that and just feel like videogames are just really good at working your brain towards just playing a little more for very little reward and that's not something im comfortable with

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Going to have to opt out of the beta, as attempting to redeem a CD key completely crashes Steam. Anyone else experience this?

EDIT: Opted out of beta, now working fine. So weird.

jshackles

Happy Final Fantasy V day everyone!

derExperte

I mentioned yesterday that the client became very unstable after the latest beta update. Opted out and haven't had any crashed since.

youre gonna have to make a list now of blockbuster films with better action in them from the last 20 years

I normally despise lists but if youre gonna call me out i gotta check that

know in advance that your list is going to be terrible and wrong for so many reasons, though

The Raid. One and done. (edit - although I suppose it's not a blockbuster)

Seriously though, I don't want to take an adversarial position on this because I liked Mad Max as much as anyone else. It was a really good movie. I just feel that the praise it gets is overblown, that's all.

Seriously though, I don't want to take an adversarial position on this because I liked Mad Max as much as anyone else. It was a really good movie. I just feel that the praise it gets is overblown, that's all.

You would really like Fury Road if it was an anime wouldn't you

we're all friends here, you can open up to us spindoctor. The truth will set you free

Phawx

The funny thing to me is it seems like the praise for it is completely misplaced. It doesn't seem like anyone actually understood that the "people" were the objects (vehicles) and the "objects" were the cast.

Between the visual uniqueness of each vehicle and also the audio of an Engine revving replacing a scream and the truck "inhaling", there were so many indicators that this was the case. It was about how the world made objects more human than humans and the small group of humans trying to get their humanity back.

zkylon

zkylewd
The funny thing to me is it seems like the praise for it is completely misplaced. It doesn't seem like anyone actually understood that the "people" were the objects (vehicles) and the "objects" were the cast.

Between the visual uniqueness of each vehicle and also the audio of an Engine revving replacing a scream and the truck "inhaling", there were so many indicators that this was the case. It was about how the world made objects more human than humans and the small group of humans trying to get their humanity back.
i missed all of this, i just think it was a hell of a fun movie.

whoa now, stop the presses, zkylon using full paragraphs

so easy to read

much words

very lowercase

( ◜◡^)
-____-

The Raid is definitely not a better action movie and neither is its sequel. It's just cool, bloody action for the sake of cool, bloody action. Bad pacing, lame CGI blood, lacks a compelling narrative or characterization. It has some cool choreography, but that's it. I always got tired by the end of both movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom