• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reposting before its over, good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Kraven Manor -- MB-6226526F182F0E77 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 2 entrants total.
It came from space, and ate our brains -- MB-0E10E08E5DA65311 - Taken by Belgarion. 5 entrants total.
GunWorld -- MB-5CE71E592EF27FA5 - Taken by gurm3n. 3 entrants total.

t1443198367z1.png

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Taxi -- MB-535FE8FCB10117B4 - Taken by dave is ok. 4 entrants total.
Skyflower -- MB-9BC5B7C5549DDD68 - Taken by Loptous. 6 entrants total.
Zoo Park -- MB-B1664518D2496832 - Taken by Couchaddict. 2 entrants total.
CUTE THINGS DYING VIOLENTLY -- MB-9CA1170581681095 - Taken by gurm3n. 4 entrants total.
After The End The Harvest -- MB-17B02253EE29DF71 - Taken by Ozium. 3 entrants total.
Roller Coaster Rampage -- MB-B5D8684714AF1125 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 4 entrants total.
Owys -- MB-F5EDD4DB944CFAAD - Taken by Madn. 1 entrants total.
Playing History 2 Slave Trade -- MB-0F4ECA8F01075A1C - Taken by Hektor. 5 entrants total.
Post Master -- MB-6FBAB23BDFDED2A0 - Taken by Maniac. 2 entrants total.
Hektor -- MB-3035ECB6614E47E1 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 4 entrants total.
Naninights -- MB-6C0C6A354CED4AAC - Taken by rainking187. 2 entrants total.
Oscura Lost Light -- MB-083E26BC261633C7 - Taken by ThirtyFour. 9 entrants total.
Pilot Crusader -- MB-7385091B01D9E0B6 - Taken by ExoSoul. 4 entrants total.

t1443208327z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I was going to post this in the G2A thread but fuck it because there's already way too many apologists in that thread as it is.

The bottom line is this - publishers and developers are ultimately responsible for this, and I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that this type of stuff won't even be possible (from a technical standpoint) in a few years time. We're already seeing region locking and such happening on a massive scale on Steam compared to how things used to operate. We're even seeing big publishers catching on and starting to issue region-specific keys that require not only IP geolocation for account activation but also IP geolocation for playing said game.

The creation of worldwide keys and issuing them to multiple markets and expecting the regional offices in those markets to distribute those keys responsibly
which isn't happening
is the type of behavior that allows G2A to thrive. Changing their policies and procedures such as issuing region locked keys to their regional offices would clamp down on this sort of behavior quite a bit. The average consumer knows that if they have to activate their product while connected to a server in Russia then what they're doing is likely shady.

In my opinion, Valve started down the right path when they allowed for the online redemption of keys using OAuth on sites like Humble and Indie Gala. It's a shame that other online retailers like GMG and Amazon weren't invited to take part - not only was it pretty handy for consumers but it also offered a certain level of protection to developers against sites like G2A.

However, until publishers and developers start using the tools at their disposal I guess things like G2A will continue to thrive.

dex3108

I was going to post this in the G2A thread but fuck it because there's already way too many apologists in that thread as it is.

The bottom line is this - publishers and developers are ultimately responsible for this, and I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that this type of stuff won't even be possible (from a technical standpoint) in a few years time. We're already seeing region locking and such happening on a massive scale on Steam compared to how things used to operate. We're even seeing big publishers catching on and starting to issue region-specific keys that require not only IP geolocation for account activation but also IP geolocation for playing said game.

The creation of worldwide keys and issuing them to multiple markets and expecting the regional offices in those markets to distribute those keys responsibly
which isn't happening
is the type of behavior that allows G2A to thrive. Changing their policies and procedures such as issuing region locked keys to their regional offices would clamp down on this sort of behavior quite a bit. The average consumer knows that if they have to activate their product while connected to a server in Russia then what they're doing is likely shady.

In my opinion, Valve started down the right path when they allowed for the online redemption of keys using OAuth on sites like Humble and Indie Gala. It's a shame that other online retailers like GMG and Amazon weren't invited to take part - not only was it pretty handy for consumers but it also offered a certain level of protection to developers against sites like G2A.

However, until publishers and developers start using the tools at their disposal I guess things like G2A will continue to thrive.

Well we are still talking about publishers/developers who are using different dates for release instead of WW release. They are years behind current trends but for some reason they don;t want to accept new things that easily.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I've talked to two producer-level people at two different major publishers who both told me stories about their regional distributors fucking them over for profit. I'll relay one example here: A major publisher was releasing a AAA, multi-million unit retail console/PC title. As always, they produced inventory for their Mexican regional distributor to sell. This inventory had Spanish language packaging but otherwise was multilingual. Later, when they were assessing sell-through, they noticed that the Miami metro region had unusually high sell-through. Through retail channel checks and followups, they discovered that their Mexican distributor had resold Mexican inventory into Spanish-speaking American markets at a price markup, basically committing arbitrage. Needless to say, the publisher was not happy to find out this was being done.

I don't think I'd have mentioned it if I hadn't heard a second unrelated publisher tell me the same story about one of their central European distributors doing the same thing (reselling inventory intended for central Europe to western Europe, at a profit).

One of the challenges of doing businesses in emerging markets is that you typically need a local partner, and for any number of reasons, the local partner is typically corrupt. Womp womp.

JustLynx

so this free weekend of Warhammer, you can get Dawn of War Goty free, just click cd-key and you'll get a key, activate it and it'll register the game

I've talked to two producer-level people at two different major publishers who both told me stories about their regional distributors fucking them over for profit. I'll relay one example here: A major publisher was releasing a AAA, multi-million unit retail console/PC title. As always, they produced inventory for their Mexican regional distributor to sell. This inventory had Spanish language packaging but otherwise was multilingual. Later, when they were assessing sell-through, they noticed that the Miami metro region had unusually high sell-through. Through retail channel checks and followups, they discovered that their Mexican distributor had resold Mexican inventory into Spanish-speaking American markets at a price markup, basically committing arbitrage. Needless to say, the publisher was not happy to find out this was being done.

I don't think I'd have mentioned it if I hadn't heard a second unrelated publisher tell me the same story about one of their central European distributors doing the same thing (reselling inventory intended for central Europe to western Europe, at a profit).

One of the challenges of doing businesses in emerging markets is that you typically need a local partner, and for any number of reasons, the local partner is typically corrupt. Womp womp.

You don't even need some insider knowledge to see this happening in Europe, a ton of online UK retailers, especially the ones which always have the lowest prices of course (TGC, simplygames), are selling UAE copies of PS4 games.

Jawmuncher

I was pretty excited about RE5 cards, but damn game is taking forever to idle. Someone decided to make the times really long. Just like with DMC4.

Uzzy

I was pretty excited about RE5 cards, but damn game is taking forever to idle. Someone decided to make the times really long. Just like with DMC4.

They'll should make it so the cards take forever to drop unless you beat the game on Professional difficulty solo.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Thanks for sharing. It's crazy hearing about this kinda stuff as well as the first-hand account on the other thread about the guy justifying his practice with "creative accounting" from their local branch office. It's naive to think that publishers won't eventually catch on and step in to correct this.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of MakeshiftChef, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MakeshiftChef, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Flame in the Flood -- MB-0E80AFFB6851D650 - Taken by SalsaShark. 49 entrants total.

t1443203943z1.png

Grief.exe

And it would cost too much to set up locally.

Is there really no baseball games for PC? Any recommendations if any exist?

I should have jumped on one of the 2K games when I had the chance. Roster updates likely kept current through mods.

This game does look cool.

Uzzy

Wait wait, I've got a better comment.

Looks like Capcom didn't want complete global saturation for their cards.

mjc

So with this huge 40k sale going on, which Dawn of War is better? I'm seeing that 2 is smaller scale and has a better story...I'm digging that.

Just looking for something to spark that nostalgia feeling. I played tabletop 40k for a few years back in high school.

derExperte

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (derExperte, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gauntlet -- MB-58BC06E8CD6743B6 - Taken by C4rter. 10 entrants total.

t1443201850z1.png

yo

Thanks for the baseball recommendations. Super Mega Baseball looks to be the only decent option. Kind of sad.

blame the MLB. They actually produced the recent RBI Baseball games yet those games haven't come to PC. Besides them, Sony makes The Show which is regarded as a terrific series but that's only ever going to be on Sony platforms.

also Ryse is $10 on steam. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mmmmmmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom