• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

It's okay for you to say MGSV chapter 2 sucks, it's also ok for people to talk about LiS without spoiling anything.

Save your sass for someone else.

except it's clearly not okay for me to voice my opinion because otherwise I wouldn't be yelled at for "spoilers"

you guys need to be a little bit more subtle with your double standards

except it's clearly not okay for me to voice my opinion because otherwise I wouldn't be yelled at for "spoilers"

you guys need to be a little bit more subtle with your double standards
like wow, because everyone that's not you is suddenly grouped together and viewed as a single entity, fuck off!

zkylon

zkylewd
i think there's something to be said for like inevitability and things being out of your hands and i feel like twd really did work to get that through, to convince you that you saved someone only to take them away soon after and get that doubt in your head that maybe if you saved the other person they could've survived longer. i think that's not something that's necessarily bad when played well, specially since zombie stories should kinda be about dread and hopelessness, the problem for me was that telltale played the killing off characters game way too fast and loose to the point that you just stopped caring

the main characters worked really well cos they got the full season to grow, but all the side characters really felt like fodder, and that's not cool

Dsyndrome

I still need to watch this, partially because of ariana

is she a delusional biotch too?
Yep, she's Chanel No. 2 and went for a colonic at the beginning of the show. This shoe's only getting better and it's only 45 minutes in. People keep dying (not her necessarily) and it's awesome each time.

Ozium

like wow, because everyone that's not you is suddenly grouped together and viewed as a single entity, fuck off!

when did I say everyone is included? speaking in general terms when more than a few were complaining and influencing the zeitgeist at the time does not mean 'everyone but me." I was addressing the people who complained about me stating my opinion, of which there were more than one.

if you mean because I said 'you guys" in my reply to you that I meant you were included then I apologize but that was not directed at you but more as a general statement that happened to be appended to a reply but I can see how it can be perceived as a direct point to you so that is an error in my communication

Deitus

when did I say everyone is included? speaking in general terms when more than a few were complaining and influencing the zeitgeist at the time does not mean 'everyone but me." I was addressing the people who complained about me stating my opinion, of which there were more than one.

if you mean because I said 'you guys" in my reply to you that I meant you were included then I apologize but that was not directed at you but more as a general statement that happened to be appended to a reply

But were any of the people who complained about spoilers for MGSV the same people who are downplaying LiS spoilers now? Because if not, your complaint about double standards rings hollow.

if you mean because I said 'you guys" in my reply to you that I meant you were included then I apologize but that was not directed at you but more as a general statement that happened to be appended to a reply
Yeah ok, talk to that person, or contact a mod if you still have a problem, posting like that looks awfully like you're taking it out on all of us.

Regarding TellTale's games, they actually do show some awareness to their weaknesses as storytellers in Tales From the Borderlands. They take your expectations and manage them in ways you won't expect. Honestly, their adventure game formula works so well there, enough that I'd expect it even holds true for repeat plays (unlike the other narrative adventures they've made).

The worst way to spoiler tag is spoilering tagging
one
key word. It's like hiding nothing at all.

Yup, Tales is one of the few Telltales games I want to replay and try the opposite decisions again at some point.

Yeah, the narrative adventures (TellTale's, Bioware's, whomever!) work best if you just sit down and enjoy the ride. If it's written well with great planning it will be a wonderous ride. But everything falls apart if the writer makes dissonance for the player, presupposing certain choices for the sake of the story being told; it's basically the writer admitting they were written into a corner that they haven't the funds to escape.

Sober

Spoilers for Life is Strange:
[MGS V spoilers go here]
So the Arkham Knight is
Quiet and Ocelot's baby right?

Ozium

Yeah, the narrative adventures (TellTale's, Bioware's, whomever!) work best if you just sit down and enjoy the ride. If it's written well with great planning it will be a wonderous ride. But everything falls apart if the writer makes dissonance for the player, presupposing certain choices for the sake of the story being told; it's basically the writer admitting they were written into a corner that they haven't the funds to escape.

I played Wolf Among Us episoe 1 and enjoyed it. I started 2 but had to stop because [ep 2 spoilers]
snow white is now alive? and I don't trust her..
but the game is just like "lol deal with it" and carries on like nothing ever happened and that does not work for my paranoid mind

so I turned it off :|

I played Wolf Among Us episoe 1 and enjoyed it. I started 2 but had to stop because [ep 2 spoilers]
but the game is just like "lol deal with it" and carries on like nothing ever happened and that does not work for my paranoid mind

But finding out
who really got murdered
is a huge part of the game!

Sch1sm

The way they played off that thing in episode 2,
them blackmarket glamours,
just made me lol. I actually liked it from that point on, that episode. Made me want to keep playing. Then again, I disliked episode 1, so we have different tastes entirely I think.

But finding out
who really got murdered

I mean, I was
pretty genocidal as Bigby.
Unless you're talking about
who murdered Faith and Lily
in which case... smh, that end though. I'll never look at
ribbons
the same way again. :")

Ozium

But finding out
who really got murdered

but like..
if someone who I thought was dead just showed up the next day I would be completely skeptical that it is really them.. they handwave it away by saying oh the severed head had a glimmer applied, but if that's the case how do I know NuWhite isn't someone with a glimmer applied

and the game just wants you accept it without question.

Yeah, for me TWAU is a great, personal, example of my player story and the writer's story diverging, killing the game for me. I dunno if it's due to the Fables backstory or what, but I never felt I had the choices available to make the game my own. It only got worse as the episodes went on and, by the end, I was completely disenchanted with it. TWAU is my least favourite TellTale narrative adventure by a mile.

That said, it has an OK ending and some fun moments, so you might as well finish it one day. You'll either love it or hate it.
2506301-wolf.gif

(This never actually happens, by the way.)

Dsyndrome

Yeah, for me TWAU is a great, personal, example of my player story and the writer's story diverging, killing the game for me. I dunno if it's due to the Fables backstory or what, but I never felt I had the choices available to make the game my own. It only got worse as the episodes went on and, by the end, I was completely disenchanted with it. TWAU is my least favourite TellTale narrative adventure by a mile.

That said, it has an OK ending and some fun moments, so you might as well finish it one day. You'll either love it or hate it.
2506301-wolf.gif

(This never actually happens, by the way.)
It being a prequel let's it get away with a lot of things. They're not focusing on the adversary and lots of folks that would otherwise be dead aren't. I enjoyed it more than some of the other Telltale Games even if it did end up at the same endpoint.

TWAU:
Who gave you head
?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
terrible!

ending spoilers:
ending only makes sense if you go the pacifist route, my sister killed and maimed as much as she could but the game ends the same, it was super weird in tone.

Knurek

New Atelier game announced.
Obviously only for PS3/Vita/PS4.
How can this be profitable for Gust, I have no idea. PC would outsell bloody Vita's LTD in a day.

zkylon

zkylewd
man project phoenix takes too damn long but damn if those character designs aren't adorable

wish i could link them from kickstarter page

man project phoenix takes too damn long but damn if those character designs aren't adorable

wish i could link them from kickstarter page

That demo gameplay video though.. :/
I really hope they can bounce back and deliver the complete game to us.

Tales of Zestiria is on GMG. If you buy it from there, will you still get Symphonia if it get unlocked?

55% more to go.
Let's go!

Thanks. I guess the price isn't that tempting after all..

:(

zkylon

zkylewd
That demo gameplay video though.. :/
I really hope they can bounce back and deliver the complete game to us.
well i mean

the official word from them is that they've had mostly assetwork and gameplay design done but very little actual implemented gameplay, at least not beyond prototypes, on account of their important programmer never being avaiable or something. they also mentioned most of the money is untouched, so it seems that if they find a replacement it should just be a long delay, but not necessarily a sign that the game quality is not gonna be great

we'll see, it's been a long while since there's been something kind to say about project phoenix, so i'm gonna be happy for a while that the awesome designs seem to have translated great into the game models

well i mean

the official word from them is that they've had mostly assetwork and gameplay design done but very little actual implemented gameplay, at least not beyond prototypes, on account of their important programmer never being avaiable or something.

Didnt he quit 2 years ago and worked on Ori?

From what I can see the main programmer quit, but somehow the representatives of the KS tried to put a blame on someone who didnt even work for them anymore.

zkylon

zkylewd
Didnt he quit 2 years ago and worked on Ori?

From what I can see the main programmer quit, but somehow the representatives of the KS tried to put a blame on someone who didnt even work for them anymore.
from the wording of the kickstarter updates they're of the kind of "we were really hoping to work with him and it just didn't work out", and that's it

sounded like neither the ori guy or the project phoenix people made the decision to say ok this is not gonna work out and that really delayed the project

but for sure from their updates they're not blaming anyone, they just wanted to work with the ori guy and he never could work with them

So I refunded Undertale. Liked the concept, but the fact that I have to work like crazy to get either a pacifist or sadist run kind of puts me off. It doesn't help that most of the characters I've seen in the game are too quirky for their own good.

Can't justify $11 for it. Maybe if it goes on sale, I'll reconsider.

Hektor

The worst way to spoiler tag is spoilering tagging
one
key word. It's like hiding nothing at all.

I was really shocked when LurkerPrime
died
in Episode 5. :(

from the wording of the kickstarter updates they're of the kind of "we were really hoping to work with him and it just didn't work out", and that's it

sounded like neither the ori guy or the project phoenix people made the decision to say ok this is not gonna work out and that really delayed the project

but for sure from their updates they're not blaming anyone, they just wanted to work with the ori guy and he never could work with them

That excuse only holds up for so long imho. We're talking about 2 years here. 2 Years they didnt think of a backup plan. 2 Years they've just waited for the situation to resolve it self without doing anything to search for a solution. Other games are completely done in that time.

Anteater

lol bombed a bunch of guards in dishonored and found a grenade in that same room, pretty sure the game wanted me to do that

Still in progress of tweaking the many settings and mods but I like how things are going in GTAIV:Episodes. The visual improvements are really nice on the eyes. Default was an ugly mess.

interesting thing is that the game on default doesn't run much better even though it looks like ass

zkylon

zkylewd
That excuse only holds up for so long imho. We're talking about 2 years here. 2 Years they didnt think of a backup plan. 2 Years they've just waited for the situation to resolve it self without doing anything to search for a solution. Other games are completely done in that time.
i mean, sure, but what's the point of thinking about it now

they're working on getting a replacement, they hope by the end of october, and the art they showed today looks great

they fucked up, but going at developers' throats for their mistakes is not my style, so not much to do for me but wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom