• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

Is your PC a potato or am I incorrectly remembering Dishonored's graphics?

i think it's just that particular area/screenshot, game looks pretty amazing overall

7C5E92093BD0B963CBEAF802709490C3CFBA7B0E
2AC6B4EC5B3CEE5710B5F495D779097C323743C5

There's something terribly wrong with that man. Send him to a better place before he decides to punch you.

Also,
SH67.

Dishonored looks fine to me, but the artstyle is offputting. It's like a worse version of Bioshock Infinite.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm no longer a member of Club 1680x1050 as I bought a Samsung S24E390HL earlier for $239. Coming from a relatively ancient TN panel (Dell's E228WFP released in 2007), the massive difference in colour reproduction was immediately obvious.

I'll keep ye olde Dell around, though, just in a case I need to temporarily use it.

Anteater

There's something terribly wrong with that man. Send him to a better place before he decides to punch you.

Also,
SH67.

Dishonored looks fine to me, but the artstyle is offputting. It's like a worse version of Bioshock Infinite.

steveshrug82s6v2hpykv.gif

I'm no longer a member of Club 1680x1050 as I bought a Samsung S24E390HL earlier for $239. Coming from a relatively ancient TN panel (Dell's E228WFP released in 2007), the massive difference in colour reproduction was immediately obvious.

I'll keep ye olde Dell around, though, just in a case I need to temporarily use it.

why not use both for non gaming use, you could play ass creed on one monitor and gaf on another!

Hektor

SoggyFinishedAfghanhound.gif

i mean, sure, but what's the point of thinking about it now

they're working on getting a replacement, they hope by the end of october, and the art they showed today looks great

they fucked up, but going at developers' throats for their mistakes is not my style, so not much to do for me but wait

I consider the situation a test of competence in regards to business and organization, and they've failed the test hard. That just doesnt give me much hope that the rest of the project.

Anteater

i just noticed Tesseract is banned too

is half of steamgaf banned

i bet manpuncher is banned too, or maybe he's probably dead, i haven't seen him posted in a while

AHA-Lambda

Ugh... I was looking forward to that one

You're kidding.

Are you?

Sur-fucking-prise. Hope you had a good 'con if you will. Did you get to try out the Vive?

Also am jelly, I would love to meet Chet. He's a nice dude, and if I was in the UK I'd have gotten my ass to EGX just to meet him.

Ofcourse there was a ton of other great people there, too. :p

Well, I'm not kidding.

I only played a 13 minute demo, of which consisted unskippable cutscenes and what seemed to be the very start of the game. After about 5 minutes we were let loose in the open world.

Movement and traversal is largely the same and familiar, no bad thing, that's what we want from ME after so long! There was a new mechanic shown off called a Mag Rope, if I remember correctly. It's basically a context sensitive grapple hook to allow Faith to pass very large gaps between buildings she can't jump.
There was only one of these points in the demo, and it was a fairly small area, so i can't say how prevalent that sort of thing would be in the final game.

What I can guess as being prevalent is the Ubisoftification of the game. With ME going open world and Dragon Age playing from Ubi's playbook I shouldn't be surprised.
The remainder of the demo had us explore this small area, and you could bring up the map and select waypoints, which the paths to show where shown on screen as the red runner vision, so it dynamically changes depending on your waypoints, very cool I thought.

In the area there was 1 time trial (I attempted it multiple times and couldn't get 3 stars, didn't see anyone get 3 stars), a billboard to "hack" (which is just climb up to this billboard (not difficult it's just sitting there) and hold A (why do we need to hold buttons all the time now??), and an item drop off (go from A to B while enemies are present).

This is where the game showed off the melee, which is really sliding/jumping at people and pressing the X button. Do that enough times and Faith will do a takedown knocking them out. No guns are usable.

And last, once you've completed those you get a pop up message saying "congratulations. Go and pick up collectibles to fill out the rest of your time". There are these little orange glowing balls of light to pick up called Gridlinks, and an indicator in the corner counted up to 66 for that area (don't know if there was genuinely 66 in the demo, doubt it).

With that, I think you can very clearly see the framework for a Ubisoft style map filled with collectibles and "stuff" to do.

Arthea

New Atelier game announced.
Obviously only for PS3/Vita/PS4.
How can this be profitable for Gust, I have no idea. PC would outsell bloody Vita's LTD in a day.

You are about two months late, but yeah, Kecmo should release series on PC, just to reward me being so loyal and putting up with all their shit lately.

McPixel is ridiculous. It has some interesting references though.

it is a silly fun game, I dunno what's about it, I enjoyed it much more than could have been expected

My desk doesn't really have the space for two monitors, plus that's what Steam's in-game overlay is for. ;)

how do you even live with one monitor? It's like having only one eye by choice or something

dex3108

Well, I'm not kidding.

I only played a 13 minute demo, of which consisted unskippable cutscenes and what seemed to be the very start of the game. After about 5 minutes we were let loose in the open world.

Movement and traversal is largely the same and familiar, no bad thing, that's what we want from ME after so long! There was a new mechanic shown off called a Mag Rope, if I remember correctly. It's basically a context sensitive grapple hook to allow Faith to pass very large gaps between buildings she can't jump.
There was only one of these points in the demo, and it was a fairly small area, so i can't say how prevalent that sort of thing would be in the final game.

What I can guess as being prevalent is the Ubisoftification of the game. With ME going open world and Dragon Age playing from Ubi's playbook I shouldn't be surprised.
The remainder of the demo had us explore this small area, and you could bring up the map and select waypoints, which the paths to show where shown on screen as the red runner vision, so it dynamically changes depending on your waypoints, very cool I thought.

In the area there was 1 time trial (I attempted it multiple times and couldn't get 3 stars, didn't see anyone get 3 stars), a billboard to "hack" (which is just climb up to this billboard (not difficult it's just sitting there) and hold A (why do we need to hold buttons all the time now??), and an item drop off (go from A to B while enemies are present).

This is where the game showed off the melee, which is really sliding/jumping at people and pressing the X button. Do that enough times and Faith will do a takedown knocking them out. No guns are usable.

And last, once you've completed those you get a pop up message saying "congratulations. Go and pick up collectibles to fill out the rest of your time". There are these little orange glowing balls of light to pick up called Gridlinks, and an indicator in the corner counted up to 66 for that area (don't know if there was genuinely 66 in the demo, doubt it).

With that, I think you can very clearly see the framework for a Ubisoft style map filled with collectibles and "stuff" to do.

Glowing Orbs is more Crackdown style than Ubisoft style. But billboard hacking sounds boring and pointless. Time Trial is nice and it would be really cool if there is course maker integrated in game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egxjuLkhXUw

AHA-Lambda

Other games impressions for you if you're interested, cross posted from the EGX thread

Homefront 2: wasn't impressed, seems fairly standard open world FPS with Ubisoft design

Just Cause 3: More Just Cause really, not a bad thing.

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate: Liked this more than I thought, but I still recognise this as just Unity 2. I liked the different options given for assassination and infiltration that Unity introduced, but I never played that game.
Game seemed to run ok for me, but man I've not played AC in so long, I forgot how awkward these controls are!

The Division: Weird, it seems like a solid cover based shooter and I had fun playing it, but it was difficult to tell why we were doing what we were doing. I thought extraction was to get our team out safely and win the match but it was just for getting loot out? By the time the demo was over I couldn't honestly tell you how our team did compared to others, did we win?
Also no indication for the game's grander MMO elements.

Star Wars: Battlefront: I did not get to try the 20v20 mode as it was far too busy, I did play the co-op horde mode. Really liked it, weird to see a big game like this in 2015 using pick ups found on the map. You're given an assault rifle that has to cooldown if you overheat it, no ammo clips. Also some extra equipment on a cooldown (jetpack, lock-on rocket launcher and a shield on a timer to give you some respite from the battle) and by the 3rd wave I was just given a thermal grenade that was just a 1 limited use.
Felt a little easy, most enemies died quick enough and they didn't seem very smart, and I think I would have finished it, but my mate kept dying and I accidentally jumped off the cliff miscontrolling my jetpack =/

Rise of the Tomb Raider: Didn't like this, but I wasn't a fan of the 2013 title either. Story was already stupid from the small snippet (No, Lara, don't hide in the place the enemies are definitely going to look!), and I found the pathfinding a little difficult. I don't think this was just me as the guy next to me had trouble also.

Glowing Orbs is more Crackdown style than Ubisoft style. But billboard hacking sounds boring and pointless. Time Trial is nice and it would be really cool if there is course maker integrated in game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egxjuLkhXUw

Fair enough, i never played Crackdown, so it seemed Ubisoft to me.

Also, just to be clear, I don't know what collecting the orbs did from the demo. Will probably not be clear until the game is out.

Idiot question about Dishonored.

If I buy the thing on Humble Store and redeem it on a Polish account, do I get the "(RU)" version, or the regular one?

AHA-Lambda

Did you like any game you played there? :D

heh, I do admit I am a cynical bastard :p

But almost all of the AAA there were for this fall, and I'm only interested in Falout 4 for this fall, and it wasn't there.
The game I probably had the most fun with was Star Wars, but I also got the chance to play with PSVR and I really liked the talks I went to.

Besides, if you check the EGX thread out, I go in depth about the expo this year and it was a shitshow compared to years past, piss poor organisation and less interesting games.

Arthea

Idiot question about Dishonored.

If I buy the thing on Humble Store and redeem it on a Polish account, do I get the "(RU)" version, or the regular one?

why would you get RU version in any case? I am missing something here

edited: anyway, if you wanna a game to be other region app, you only can get it by using VPN of that region (while activating a key), Jasec will correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope the weekly deals aren't shit

you have nothing to play? poor thing

edited: you as well can wait for the Halloween sale, only a month left or Autumn sale, only two months left or Xmas sale only three months left. At least one of those will have some not shit sales.

why would you get RU version in any case? I am missing something here

It is not literally Russian version, it has something to do with local publisher. It started as "Dishonored RHCP" (Russia, Hungary, Czech R, Poland, maybe?) as still visible in SteamDB DLC entries but one day they changed the name to "Dishonored (RU)". SteamDB suggests it would have to be the HB doing the region recognition since this one has different keys, but maybe that's wrong.

Ozium

It is not literally Russian version, it has something to do with local publisher. It started as "Dishonored RHCP" (Russia, Hungary, Czech R, Poland, maybe?) as still visible in SteamDB DLC entries but one day they changed the name to "Dishonored (RU)". SteamDB suggests it would have to be the HB doing the region recognition since this one has different keys, but maybe that's wrong.

They changed it from Dishonored RHCP because Anthony Kiedis threatened to sue

Arthea

Hero of the Kingdom devs - Lonely Troops have a city builder on greenlight - Megapolis.

it looks a lot like Concrete Jungle for some reason

oh, it's one of those situations.
I remember somebody (probably not so fresh veggie), buying a key on HB and it still activated on his account as a german app, that's why I said you need to use VPN, it's a pity Jasec is not here, because I'm not entirely sure as I don't use VPN and he's very much into buying regional stuff.

Arthea

I just get a database error, unlike you I don't try to DDOS gaf

BTW, when Zombie Zoed got removed from a store? I just noticed today
edite: it's not removed, just search wasn't working, gw volvo

I don't get it: I have played like 1000 hours of Steamworks games online and I haven't been dropped once.

The other point is the usual suspect when revamping a software product: features often go missing when there's a huge change (like changing the whole goddamn engine). It happens with every software product that continuously develops, but it's understandably frustrating to end user. But as how software development works, you can't continue building on same base forever, unless you don't want your product to become bloated, stale mess full of hacks and other shenanigans. But not sure how that is somehow Valve specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom