• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

tSosaRZ.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-860203BD2B188438 - Taken by The Red Wizard - Taken by texhnolyze

It's Skyborn..
ModBot said:
Instructions for texhnolyze:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (texhnolyze, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Time Gentlemen, Please! & Ben There, Dan that! -- MB-5EF436EF4050BCD2 - Taken by MaxiLive
Skyborn -- MB-860203BD2B188438 - Taken by The Red Wizard

I know it's not a Steam game, but I saw that there was a sale on Diablo III on amazon. Do I have to buy the base game, then the reaper of souls one as well for the full content or is Reaper of Souls the only one I need?

I never actually played any of the Diablo games. I watched my friend play Diablo II when it came out, but I never got into it.

Sarcasm

I know it's not a Steam game, but I saw that there was a sale on Diablo III on amazon. Do I have to buy the base game, then the reaper of souls one as well for the full content or is Reaper of Souls the only one I need?

I never actually played any of the Diablo games. I watched my friend play Diablo II when it came out, but I never got into it.

You need both. If you don't have either it might be cheaper to buy both on the blizzard store, there is a hidden discount if you buy both. You can see it when you have both in your cart.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I should have picked up Reaper of Souls when a local store was selling physical copies for $28.

aw350

Banned
Hi, SteamGAF.

A very noob question about Steam trading cards - sorry, I am pretty new to this whole Steam thing. I know that you can use the cards to pimp up your appearances on the Steam profile page, etc. I am not much into such things, but I also heard that the cards have some monetary value. My understanding is that you can sell the cards that you get from playing games to those who look for them, and then use the proceeds to buy games. Is that correct? Is that all there is - I mean, those who are buying the cards are buying them basically to complete a collection, right? Or is there some other use that they get out of them?

Dr Dogg

I should have picked up Reaper of Souls when a local store was selling physical copies for $28.

US or AUD? Because a few places round here sell it for peanuts (unless you want the big box collectors ed with some extra nik nacks).

Speaking of Diablo, Mavel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 got relisted digitally for 360 a while back. I wonder if Activision would be bothered to put the PC version of 1 up on Steam? Doubtful but I remember having a blast with it many moons ago.

US or AUD? Because a few places round here sell it for peanuts (unless you want the big box collectors ed with some extra nik nacks).

Speaking of Diablo, Mavel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 got relisted digitally for 360 a while back. I wonder if Activision would be bothered to put the PC version of 1 up on Steam? Doubtful but I remember having a blast with it many moons ago.

Yeah, that first game is really good. My brother-in-law and I put so many hours into it. Shame the sequel wasn't as good.

Hi, SteamGAF.

A very noob question about Steam trading cards - sorry, I am pretty new to this whole Steam thing. I know that you can use the cards to pimp up your appearances on the Steam profile page, etc. I am not much into such things, but I also heard that the cards have some monetary value. My understanding is that you can sell the cards that you get from playing games to those who look for them, and then use the proceeds to buy games. Is that correct? Is that all there is - I mean, those who are buying the cards are buying them basically to complete a collection, right? Or is there some other use that they get out of them?

Nope that's it. The people buying cards basically have too much money and you're benefitting from that. Sell em all

JaseC

Hi, SteamGAF.

Yes, you can sell them for Steam Wallet credit. Completing a set allows you to craft a badge, which adds 100 XP to your profile and earns you a discount coupon for a random game as well as a background and emoticon related to the set you crafted; additionally, every time you "level up" your profile, you earn an addition five friend slots and every 10 levels you're granted an addition showcase slot for your main profile page, plus the higher your level, the more frequently you receive a random booster pack (a set of three cards). That's about the gist of it.

Yeah, that first game is really good. My brother-in-law and I put so many hours into it. Shame the sequel wasn't as good.

Seriously! The sequel was so much of a dissapointment. The story was no where near as good (Being split up between the civil war storyline and then the terrible black panther nanomachines) The first one had Dr. Doom almost destroy the whole universe, compared to the second one which... Oh no, nanomachines took over Shield and the president. Such a bad story compared to the first one.

i just got an email from my professor, he normally gives us a week to do hw but he gave new hw and its due thursday(next class meeting) that requires reading 60 pages in the text book and answering questions at the end, also a test next tuesday. :/

why does shitty stuff always happen on my birthday? I think my life hates me.
Happy birthday, dood!
I've seen a few people suggest this in regards to Zestiria, is there a reason why people wait until the last minute to preorder? If there's a game coming out that I'm interested in enough to preorder (which isn't that often) I generally preorder it as soon as I can afford it. For example I preordered Fallout 4 a day or two after the Bethesda E3 show. I'd really like to believe Symphonia is going to unlock, but I have a hard time believing that more than half of the required preorders will happen in the last couple of weeks.
I pre-order as soon as possible unless I have to pay for it, like Zestiria on Steam, in which case I'll wait as long as possible.

JustLynx

Adding to this

Yes, you can sell them for Steam Wallet credit. Completing a set allows you to craft a badge, which adds 100 XP to your profile and earns you a discount coupon for a random game as well as a background and emoticon related to the set you crafted; additionally, every time you "level up" your profile, you earn an addition five friend slots, plus the higher your level, the more frequently you receive a random booster pack (a set of three cards). That's about the gift of it.

If you craft badges on sales you get special sale cards rather than coupons, and they sell for good money
you can also turn cards and other community items into gems and with them you can craft booster packs for games you want

Arthea

Adding to this

If you craft badges on sales you get special sale cards rather than coupons, and they sell for good money
you can also turn cards and other community items into gems and with them you can craft booster packs for games you want

just adding to this, it's totally not worth it to gemify regular cards but most of cheap backgrounds and emotes are for gemifying and crafting expensive booster packs, yes.

JaseC

I've seen you bought a good chunk of my whishlist, did you use it as reference?

I just buy whatever is cheap when I get paid, but I've pretty much run out of cheap stuff to buy on a whim each week. If my hours at work remain steady over the next few weeks, I might just say "To hell with it" and purchase a bunch of not-so-cheap games to get me to 6K, but after that I'm going to have to rein things in a bit.

You should try to play some of those games, you know

Maybe after Mad Max... which, at this point, will probably lead me into AssCreed Syndicate... so, maybe after Syndicate. Mind you, Syndicate will probably lead me into Just Cause 3, so... maybe never.

Adding to this

Yeah, I was about to edit in a tidbit about mystery/sale cards. Gems, though, I'd completely forgotten about, haha.

Reading the Witcher 3 combat topic reminds me that I should add yet again a thing to my list "Witcher 3 is awesome despite..." list which is growing pretty long.

I didn't even remember to include the combat because outside of first few hours you really didn't even have to think about it (on Normal at least)

Reading the Witcher 3 combat topic reminds me that I should add yet again a thing to my list "Witcher 3 is awesome despite..." list which is growing pretty long.

I didn't even remember to include the combat because outside of first few hours you really didn't even have to think about it (on Normal at least)
Gaming side really is hyperbole town, tons of horrible and/or hilarious posts in there.

I woke up today in the mood for some basketball for some reason.

I go to Steamtrades and look for a copy of NBA 2k16. Realize the bug is fixed and people are selling it 4 times the price.

Oh well.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Witcher 3 (Going on hour 115) I have no complaints about the combat while playing on the second to hardest difficulty it's really fun getting the right oils and signs ready and making sure you have what you need when you encounter random battles while exploring the hugely vast countryside. It's not the best combat system, but no where near as bad as people make it out to be. In fact that thread was the first time it ever popped into my mind that it isn't one of the better combats out there.

Sober

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Witcher 3 (Going on hour 115) I have no complaints about the combat while playing on the second to hardest difficulty it's really fun getting the right oils and signs ready and making sure you have what you need when you encounter random battles while exploring the hugely vast countryside. It's not the best combat system, but no where near as bad as people make it out to be. In fact that thread was the first time it ever popped into my mind that it isn't one of the better combats out there.
It's because everyone expects if you have a combat system it has to be DMC/Bayonetta levels of depth and complexity otherwise it's shit. Exceptions made for Dark Souls-style combat. Make sure to take pot shots at baby Arkham combat in the same post.

Arthea

Maybe after Mad Max... which, at this point, will probably lead me into AssCreed Syndicate... so, maybe after Syndicate. Mind you, Syndicate will probably lead me into Just Cause 3, so... maybe never.

If I even have seen a happy gamer it's you. It's good to be Ubi fan these days, when even your save files are somewhat safe, not to mention yearly releases.

BTW, does it mean you like Mad Max?

dex3108

Yeah and quests are too long and repetitive, world is too big, monster are lame... I really can't see how people liked this game.
/s
:D

JaseC

If I even have seen a happy gamer it's you. It's good to be Ubi fan these days, when even your save files are somewhat safe, not to mention yearly releases.

BTW, does it mean you like Mad Max?

Of course. Open world + collectables = heaven. ;)

Hektor

The biggest issue i had with Witcha 3's combat (And the game in general) is how little variety there is. You dont learn any new skills, attacks, you dont get any new weapons and you dont get to see any new enemys. Its like they took Witcha 2 and just stretched it to have double the size.

4 hours into Mad Max, i think they forgot to add in the fun.
Welcome to the disappointment club.

The biggest issue i had with Witcha 3's combat (And the game in general) is how little variety there is. You dont learn any new skills, attacks, you dont get any new weapons and you dont get to see any new enemys. Its like they took Witcha 2 and just stretched it to have double the size.
Disagreed on enemies' part, there are quite a few different types of monsters that fought very differently. New skills and new weapons? Well, they are Witchers, swords and signs are part of their identity. I personally found the skill slots a lot of fun, swapping out skills depending on the situation you're in is great.

Welcome to the disappointment club.

Disagreed on enemies' part, there are quite a few different types of monsters that fought very differently. New skills and new weapons? Well, they are Witchers, swords and signs are part of their identity. I personally found the skill slots a lot of fun, swapping out skills depending on the situation you're in is great.

At least on normal most of the skills are totally unnecessary: Max out fast attack so you can just bash square to win every situation. There are few signs that actually do some interesting effects (like the one that makes the enemies attack each other) but the casting time is pretty long so mostly you are better off smashing [ ] anyway.

TW3's combat only shines in the difficult battles, when every action matters. It gets really intense. The problem with this is that the balance is all over the place, heavily leaning on the easier side due to how healing and items work in general, not to mention the sheer abundance of trash mobs. This means that for everything save crazy-high level enemies, advanced tactics are largely unnecessary--even on the hard difficulty.

If the lead combat designer does a combat rebalance again, I think TW3's combat would shine a lot brighter. He worked wonders to make TW1's combat into something fun. Making potions, bombs, oils, and advanced tactics in general more important would go a long way to bringing the most fun out of each battle.

At least on normal most of the skills are totally unnecessary: Max out fast attack so you can just bash square to win every situation. There are few signs that actually do some interesting effects (like the one that makes the enemies attack each other) but the casting time is pretty long so mostly you are better off smashing [ ] anyway.
Sure, one could always go for the highest DPS build and play-style, but then it's the player made it not fun.

Sorcerers in DS2 is easy mode against AI, I could spam cast all day every day then complain about it being too easy, but that's an unfair way to judge the game.

Corpekata

Banned
Playing on normal in a lot of games isn't exactly going to show you the real meat of the combat system, and it's especially true with TW3. Witcher 3 shines on the higher ones. Death March starts off a bit too stupidly hard but after a handful of levels is where most of the fun is, and the game lets you change whenever you want.

Yeah, the "heal only by resting or items" change in higher difficulties makes a big difference. It isn't as harsh as it sounds, and even then the difficulty drops off some hours into the game.

Sure, one could always go for the highest DPS build and play-style, but then it's the player made it not fun.

Sorcerers in DS2 is easy mode against AI, I could spam cast all day every day then complain about it being too easy, but that's an unfair way to judge the game.

I agree, but then again there are like 30 sorcery spells in DS2 which bring some variation.

Playing on normal in a lot of games isn't exactly going to show you the real meat of the combat system, and it's especially true with TW3. Witcher 3 shines on the higher ones. Death March starts off a bit too stupidly hard but after a handful of levels is where most of the fun is, and the game lets you change whenever you want.

I agree with this too sort of.

Arthea

OASE - Other Age Second Encounter is a quirky, bizarre game that incorporates several different types of gameplay into one - puzzle, adventure, dating sim, and visual novel.

releases in September, meaning today
has cards, no cheevos, tho, aww

one more game that looks interesting - Swords & Crossbones: An Epic Pirate Story

It has building, tactical combat and humour what's not to like?
also releases today

ArjanN

Or simply if you like games with a proper plot, since MGSV has no plot at all with no ending.
It's not that you NEED to adore MGS franchise in order to ask for a proper plot, a thing missing here, since the game is just a collection of episode and some of them won't be concluded because Konami had the amazing idea to cut off those sections in order to release the game.
Even excluding this, the game is very repetitive: you visit the same outpost 500 times, a lot of main missions are just glorified filler and they do not actually bring usefull info about the plot (exactly like extra ops in GZ).
Is the game funny? Yes it is. Stealth side, is the best product you can buy at the moment.
But the game has also several issues, and it suffers from being released too early while it's clear Kojima want to do something else with V, but Konami stopped the project because hey, they need to do money after all and MGSV sucked a lot of them for many years, so V is what remains now.

I can justify the repetition in a product like Peace Walker, with very short missions and aimed for a different audience (the one using portable devices, since it's clear PW was designed around this feature, short session but a lot of them). Still, Peace Walker was less repetitive than TPP because there was a good variation, even dispatch system was much, much better, since you can decide what vehicles send on battle, while on TPP even if you own 100 tanks, you can only send the amount the game decides for you, and the failure rate is way too high even with 95% of success.Those are just gimmicks in order to artificially increase the game's lenght.

While MGS5 definitely has it's issues, I feel being light on plot is still better than a plot that actively made me think less of the series like MGS4 did. MGS4 also had a similar issue as MGS2 in that half the game is just walking a couple of steps forward and triggering the next cutscene, and while I liked the gameplay in those games, they didn't utilize it enough.

So overall I'd still put 5 over 4 easily.

Jazz573

OASE - Other Age Second Encounter is a quirky, bizarre game that incorporates several different types of gameplay into one - puzzle, adventure, dating sim, and visual novel.

releases in September, meaning today
has cards, no cheevos, tho, aww

I should point out that it's technically been released for a while, if you check the VNDB page. So, this is just the Steam release.

Jazz573

I mostly play games on steam these days, so it's relevant to my interests and this thread way more than any other releases.

I know, I just wanted to point it out. :p And, since the Steam release wasn't on VNDB, I took the time to go ahead and add it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom