• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I'm always up for a point-and-click, I decided to load up Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy. Even though I've put in less than an hour, here are some quick impressions:

It's a 3-D rendered game with no graphical options. We're off to a flying start.

You play Madeline, the daughter of some alchemist/astrologer guy (it wasn't made clear if this was Nostradamus or not yet,) and you're about to disguise yourself as your brother Cesar to help Catherine de Medici (or, as your father says, "de Medisi") with some prophecy shit that's about to go down...because, you know, it's the 16th century and chicks shouldn't be doing shit yet.

After that expository cutscene, you start off in your bedroom. First-person 3D, despite the lack of graphical options, is mostly okay. Look around with the mouse...okay, neat. This could be fun. Press W...nothing happens. Huh. Is this a game where you have to use the arrow keys? Press up arrow...nothing. Notice a cursor change by the doorway. Oh fuck me, it's a first-person free-view but only certain points where you're locked in place? Suddenly I don't feel so good. I don't normally get motion sick, but this is seriously disconcerting.

As for the interface...how long have point and click adventures been around? Just shy of 30 years, perhaps? Since then, the inventory systems have been mostly standardized with only a few janky missteps (As good as Grim Fandango is, cycling through junk in your suit isn't that fun. I think Jack Orlando pulled some similar shit.) But this interface is so janky it's almost awe-inspiring. Whereas normally, when you pick something up, it gets put into a neat little box in your inventory. In THIS game, everything you pick up gets smashed one on top of the other in the SAME box (called the "auto" box,) and you have to move them manually. If you use an item and it's not totally consumed, back into that "auto" box it goes. How does this even happen? Do the developers even play video games?

The puzzles so far seem okay, but I can't really judge as it's early days.

But just saying, if you get motion sick easily, avoid this like the plague. If it takes some doing for you to get motion sick, but you do...yeah probably don't want to try this either. I'm gonna set it aside for now and play it in small chunks. I...really wasn't expecting mild nausea tonight.

Nzyme32

Whoa. This is out of the blue.

Yeah, completely out of the blue, but very very welcome. Stanley Parable was amazing considering it's design is so narrative heavy and required replaying some areas over and over.

This seems equally as eccentric and unique, but gives little away - as it should be for this kind of game. With Stanley, the mod was out way before the game and people already spread what was going on, leaving little to be discovered. This is completely new and giving little away, so I look forward to just diving in blind!

bigzgod

Getting hit by $105 of overdraft fees for 3measly purchases under $5 that have been pending for a week.

Fuck. I was planning on buying mgsv.

Like others have recommended, talk to your bank. They will almost always wipe out all the fees if you ask politely and note that this usually doesn't happen. It doesn't really hurt to try regardless, all you waste is a few minutes on the phone.

yeah I mean release date, its already announced?

aw yiss, maybe I can expect some raffle or low ball price from KS backer too.

Wait. If you already have D:OS then it'll be automatically be updated to D:OS EE

And in the current KS, there is a $50 backer category to get both, D:OS EE and D:OS 2 for $50

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!!

aVWd6K4.jpg

Haunted

Jotun is Minish Cap x Titan Souls. The boss designs aren't (mechanically) quite as tight, but they're still fine with standard patterns.

The real kicker is that they're about 10x the scale of anything else I've seen since that 2D SotC clone or Axiom Verge's final fight and the hand-drawn animation makes everything look pretty fluid and cool. I'm liking it so far!

fertygo

Jotun is Minish Cap x Titan Souls. The boss designs aren't (mechanically) quite as tight, but they're still fine with standard patterns.

The real kicker is that they're about 10x the scale of anything else I've seen since that 2D SotC clone or Axiom Verge's final fight and the hand-drawn animation makes everything look pretty fluid and cool. I'm liking it so far!

Is its play like loot game? mouse as main control scheme?

i just got an email from my professor, he normally gives us a week to do hw but he gave new hw and its due thursday(next class meeting) that requires reading 60 pages in the text book and answering questions at the end, also a test next tuesday. :/

why does shitty stuff always happen on my birthday? I think my life hates me.

I haven't bought the game. Perhaps my wording was a bit off on my previous post.
About your problem, I don't have a gaming laptop, but it seems that it's the dual gpu problem. The game doesn't detect/use the mobile gpu, it uses the integrated intel gpu instead.

For me main problem isn't graphics, but controls. Game simply doesn't respond to most of inputs (xbox360 controller), making it unplayable. (LT/RT for camera, left stick for movement is all that works) and most of controller options are locked, so nothing you can do.

Wow, so it's kinda similar to the previous One Piece game?
Well, that's KEOI, they never learn.

Dsyndrome

i just got an email from my professor, he normally gives us a week to do hw but he gave new hw and its due thursday(next class meeting) that requires reading 60 pages in the text book and answering questions at the end, also a test next tuesday. :/

tumblr_ma676jBAad1ry46hlo1_400.gif

The answer's four to all the questions btw.

The animation in Jotun is nice but the art is disappointingly los res. On a 1440 monitor there's a lot of very obvious compression :/

Also, no achievements which isn't a big deal but I like progress markers to remind me of my poor completion rates :3

tumblr_ma676jBAad1ry46hlo1_400.gif

The answer's four to all the questions btw.

its computer science homework, there are no multiple choices, he always picks all the questions that require writing an entire program which is annoying but isn't so bad since normally i can do 1-2 question a day. I'm still doing hw 3 which is due thurs, now he throws another one on top of it >_> salty as fuck. i was hoping to relax and enjoy my bday and possibly beat mgs5 today, now its being spent reading

Khilandros

3 weeks until ToZ and its 47%....so sad, really want to get this, but that last unlock is brutal and I don't know if I should buy it or wait for a sale if it doesn't make it.

I don't see any chance of it not making it. A lot of people don't pre-order until right before release, certainly the case with me and I buy most big games.

Eila

3 weeks until ToZ and its 47%....so sad, really want to get this, but that last unlock is brutal and I don't know if I should buy it or wait for a sale if it doesn't make it.

You can just refund on release if Symphonia is not unlocked. I'm still hopeful there will be a final push in the last week before release.

Haunted

Is its play like loot game? mouse as main control scheme?
Not at all, direct control with full controller support.

A to roll, X to attack, Y to heavy attack etc.

The animation in Jotun is nice but the art is disappointingly los res. On a 1440 monitor there's a lot of very obvious compression :/

Also, no achievements which isn't a big deal but I like progress markers to remind me of my poor completion rates :3
Ah, that sucks. I've been putting it on the 50" Plasma in the living room (1080p + a good viewing distance), so I didn't notice that as much.

It's your birthday today? Happy birthday then Prinny!
Enjoy your "school" life as long as it lasts. You'll miss it dearly once it's over.

Tweet to the developer, might even get an update.

Dsyndrome

They're coming sometime this fall, apparently.
its computer science homework, there are no multiple choices, he always picks all the questions that require writing an entire program which is annoying but isn't so bad since normally i can do 1-2 question a day. I'm still doing hw 3 which is due thurs, now he throws another one on top of it >_> salty as fuck. i was hoping to relax and enjoy my bday and possibly beat mgs5 today, now its being spent reading
I used to code in C and C++ back when I was a computer engineering undergrad, now it's all Matlab stuff used to solve ODE's and electrical engineering problems for my grad degree; I don't envy you at all.

Dsyndrome

Why do people say that? Did everyone have good school experiences? I am so fucking glad to be done with school, and have ignored every single reunion. I don't miss it in the least.

I miss going to every Notre Dame football game, not giving a shit about classes, and having no real responsibility. I don't miss being poor as sin.

I don't see any chance of it not making it. A lot of people don't pre-order until right before release, certainly the case with me and I buy most big games.

I've seen a few people suggest this in regards to Zestiria, is there a reason why people wait until the last minute to preorder? If there's a game coming out that I'm interested in enough to preorder (which isn't that often) I generally preorder it as soon as I can afford it. For example I preordered Fallout 4 a day or two after the Bethesda E3 show. I'd really like to believe Symphonia is going to unlock, but I have a hard time believing that more than half of the required preorders will happen in the last couple of weeks.

MUnited83

For you.
I've seen a few people suggest this in regards to Zestiria, is there a reason why people wait until the last minute to preorder? If there's a game coming out that I'm interested in enough to preorder (which isn't that often) I generally preorder it as soon as I can afford it. For example I preordered Fallout 4 a day or two after the Bethesda E3 show. I'd really like to believe Symphonia is going to unlock, but I have a hard time believing that more than half of the required preorders will happen in the last couple of weeks.

It's as simple as this: games have more attention and visibility in two ocasions: when the preorder goes up (first wave of purchases) and when they are about to release (second wave). Things are more quiet in-between.

Why do people say that? Did everyone have good school experiences? I am so fucking glad to be done with school, and have ignored every single reunion. I don't miss it in the least.
School is not a rainbow place where you love everyone but for many it was a time where you felt much less responsibility.

They're coming sometime this fall, apparently.

I used to code in C and C++ back when I was a computer engineering undergrad, now it's all Matlab stuff used to solve ODE's and electrical engineering problems for my grad degree; I don't envy you at all.

word, sometimes i just sit here and go "is it worth it...?" barely passing as it is. also on a lighter note, i saw the first ep of scream queen (and scream), scream queen is hilarious, didn't know it just aired tho, only 2 eps out so far :( im used to watching a show when the season is complete so i can just marathon it.

It's your birthday today? Happy birthday then Prinny!
Enjoy your "school" life as long as it lasts. You'll miss it dearly once it's over.
:| i hate school. to many guys, to much work, teachers suck(i've had 4 computer science teachers, only 1 out of the 4 was any good, he actually taught, the other 3 just tell you to read from a text book. what the fuck am i paying more than 1k for this class for? I could've done that shit myself) and lastly, its expensive as fuck.

:| i hate school. to many guys, to much work, teachers suck(i've had 4 computer science teachers, only 1 out of the 4 was any good, he actually taught, the other 3 just tell you to read from a text book. what the fuck am i paying more than 1k for this class for? I could've done that shit myself) and lastly, its expensive as fuck.
:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom