• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

If it's not this, then I don't want it.

megamanvd.jpg

FF-0 DIDO bundle is tanking hard. Panic. Blood in the streets. Dogs and cats living together.
Still higher than what I sold mine for.

No, you'll get what you bought, the censored versions are different subs.

Fuck yeees. Thanks, I have to be careful buying games here though.

What if obsidian became to RPGs what telltale is for adventure games, where they take popular licenses and make decent RPGs out of them

I would be about that.

Sch1sm

i would be against anyone becoming something similar to anything telltale ever

Can't tell if you just misunderstood, or dislike Telltale games. I think Freedom is just saying that Telltale made those things good, and if Obsidian did that with RPGs it'd be based. I think.

Killing Floor 2 is making my computer stop working and artifacts fly about everywhere just by starting it up. I'd think my video card was dying but I just started Mad Max and it still runs beautifully :/

Can't tell if you just misunderstood, or dislike Telltale games. I think Freedom is just saying that Telltale made those things good, and if Obsidian did that with RPGs it'd be based. I think.

I think you'll find this is where you and zkylon (and I) will disagree.

You all seriously against telltale games like as if life is strange didn't crib from them

You gotta respect what TT has done with licensed games. I mean the only outright dud was Jurassic park and even that game has its fans

TellTale's stuff is formulaic, but I can't deny that they've got something good going. If they just put some attention into the engine I'd have zero complaints. The choices aren't always the best, but the stories are always, at the very least, interesting to play through.

For instance, I'm dying to play through GoT Ep 6 right now. Gotta see how it ends!

Should I get it?

I thought it had some sort of horrible DRM but now I don't see that info on the store page.

Avoid, in any case.

Caerith

What if obsidian became to RPGs what telltale is for adventure games, where they take popular licenses and make decent RPGs out of them

I would be about that.

Isn't that kinda what Obsidian already does? Take popular licenses-- like say Star Wars or Fallout-- and make decent RPGs out of them? True they aren't as prolific as Telltale but different types of game and all.

Should I get it?

I heard it starts off crummy, but it picks up right about the end, where the main boss fight would be.

N.I.T.R.O., on the other hand, is solid for the first two acts, then the ending is really disappointing and makes little to no sense, with all these adds that come out of nowhere.

Lain

Should I get it?

Having played some of it, I'm gonna say that 2.99 is more or less how much I feel this is worth.
Should you get it? Depends what you expect out of it. It's not a downright bad game, but I didn't feel it was anything good either. More like the definition of average and a bit repetitive.

Isn't that kinda what Obsidian already does? Take popular licenses-- like say Star Wars or Fallout-- and make decent RPGs out of them? True they aren't as prolific as Telltale but different types of game and all.
Eh, South Park is the only one they worked on from inception. The rest were jobs where they were working off of another company's efforts. Fallout isn't really a licensed game and kotor 2 was coming off of the work bioware put into kotor 1.

Like the idea of a 007 or Archer protocol would be freaking amazing to me.

Eh, South Park is the only one they worked on from inception. The rest were jobs where they were working off of another company's efforts. Fallout isn't really a licensed game and kotor 2 was coming off of the work bioware put into kotor 1.

Like the idea of a 007 or Archer protocol would be freaking amazing to me.

Like South Park, it would be a complete waste of Obsidian's time and talents; any studio can make licensed cash-ins. Obsidian is one of the few large-scale RPG developers left and it would be a shame to lose that.

zkylon

zkylewd
i dunno why but reading your post and realizing that like obsidian "licensed" fallout just broke my heart

So the LiS backlash has finally begun.
i've said lis wasn't so great from the first ep tho

like, i really enjoy the game cos i love sad american teenager drama, but you know, bottle collecting and hipstersville and all those shitty side characters with really bad voiceacting and max's weird "ewww booze"ing and the very awkward-to-control rewinding just brings the game down

it's an alright game, it's gonna be on my list cos i haven't played much and it did enough to keep me intrigued but way too many small issues

Like South Park, it would be a complete waste of Obsidian's time and talents; any studio can make licensed cash-ins. Obsidian is one of the few large-scale RPG developers left and it would be a shame to lose that.
i mean, i dunno. i don't particularly like archer so that's why i'd rather they didn't work on that, but obs is pretty beast at licensed stuff. like kotor 2 was great up until lucas decided to sabotage it, so i wouldn't be against more licensed work. a bloodlines sequel would be awesome, and i'd make me the happiest to see them do fallout again

but i'd always rather they just created something original. jesawyer and tim cain are like two of the most wonderful ppl ever and i hope chris avellone is like driving distance so they can stretch goal the fuck out of him. just imagine those three sitting in a room with infinite unadulterated creative freedom

so yea why would anyone even want to tie them to an existing series

Caerith

Cash-ins are where the money is. I mean, if you're not dealing with a scummy publisher.

And they still produce those games. pillars is happening right now.

But South Park kept that studio afloat for a while there so let's not act like they shouldn't work on licenses. That's not beneath them and, really, if the difference between keeping a studio alive and them hanging on a thread is that they sometimes have to make some decent licensed games then wouldn't you rather have that? Platinum would've shut their doors if they suddenly did something as silly as turn away licensed games.

Some of you folks, cmon now. If they got the rights to do kotor 3 you would be perfectly okay with it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Has there been any word on No Man's Sky release date?

Obsidian on what's next

As the panel wound to a close, Sawyer had some thoughts that made it evident that, for Obsidian, Pillars of Eternity was more than just a crowdfunding success story but a realization that the studio was no longer chained to the whims of the licensed properties that they traditionally developed for.

"I think it's changed people's ideas inside the studio about what types of games we can make," Sawyer said. "Prior to doing Pillars [of Eternity], every time we worked on a game it was always something that belonged to someone else because publishers do not want you to retain the rights to those things, so it's also changed our internal thought processes about the sorts of games that we can work on."

zkylon

zkylewd
this is how i'd put it

i bought every obs game ever, even multiple times etc. etc.

i didn't buy south park rpg

licensed games ask u to like the license, and i like obs, not the license. i like star wars but not enough to desperately chase every game and series and whatever, but if obs makes kotor 3 i'd play it. but like i'm not gonna play like a fucking family guy obsidian rpg no matter how much i love then lol

TellTale's stuff is formulaic, but I can't deny that they've got something good going. If they just put some attention into the engine I'd have zero complaints. The choices aren't always the best, but the stories are always, at the very least, interesting to play through.

For instance, I'm dying to play through GoT Ep 6 right now. Gotta see how it ends!

I thought it had some sort of horrible DRM but now I don't see that info on the store page.

Avoid, in any case.

Doesn't look very fun.

I heard it starts off crummy, but it picks up right about the end, where the main boss fight would be.

N.I.T.R.O., on the other hand, is solid for the first two acts, then the ending is really disappointing and makes little to no sense, with all these adds that come out of nowhere.

Having played some of it, I'm gonna say that 2.99 is more or less how much I feel this is worth.
Should you get it? Depends what you expect out of it. It's not a downright bad game, but I didn't feel it was anything good either. More like the definition of average and a bit repetitive.

I enjoyed Dungeon Siege 3 local co-op immensely and this looks similar enough. Looks like it's quite short and has good loot mechanics at the same time, so I guess I'll just bite then.
Thanks for the impressions guys.

I'm keeping my eyes on Gauntlet next.

this is how i'd put it

i bought every obs game ever, even multiple times etc. etc.

i didn't buy south park rpg

licensed games ask u to like the license, and i like obs, not the licensed. i like star wars but not enough to desperately chase every game and series and whatever, but if obs makes kotor 3 i'd play it. but like i'm not gonna play like a fucking family guy obsidian rpg no matter how much i love then lol

This is pretty much where I am. Obsidian's great and all, but South Park RPG or those MMOs they're aiding development on? No thanks.

Killing Floor 2 keeps crashing my computer completely, as I said on the other page I'd think it was the graphics card dying but I tried 4 other 3D intensive games and they all play without issues whereas KF2 won't even launch without doing this :/ Any tips?

i hope they make a game with a different combat system. PoE looks boring. It might not be, but watching it is whack.
PoE is the only game of theirs that plays like that so one imagines whatever comes next wouldn't share the systems outside of a sequel. Pillars of Eternity's combat is fun though :p

zkylon

zkylewd
unsurprisingly publishers are idiots and won't give obs money unless it's a licensed thing, so i'm still not opposed to licensed stuff since i've seen obs do great stuff when they have the money for it (and seen their great stuff crash hard when pubs screwed them over)

so like, something like a bloodlines 2, that would be awesome and licensed and you can't do that stuff with crowdfunding, unfortunately

just like, license cool stuff with cool lore, not random tv comedies pls

edit: also, ubisoft just went and made south park 2 without obs which tells you what kind of shitty deals these are if you put in all the work, you design a gameplay, you develop an engine, and then they take that and farm it out to another developer

like why go back to this if you're obsidian

Hah, so we're arguing over nothing.

well it is a forum :p

PoE is the only game of theirs that plays like that so one imagines whatever comes next wouldn't share the systems outside of a sequel. Pillars of Eternity's combat is fun though :p
i think jesawyer said he would've preferred to do the combat turn based for eternity so maybe it'll go in that direction for their next game

Killing Floor 2 keeps crashing my computer completely, as I said on the other page I'd think it was the graphics card dying but I tried 4 other 3D intensive games and they all play without issues whereas KF2 won't even launch without doing this :/ Any tips?

What is the screenshot? The crash? That's all kinds of messed up.

Whatever you think of South Park, surely y'all will agree that an Obsidian game not written by Obsidian is really missing the studio's greatest strength.
It's a photo taken by my phone of what my computer is doing. No idea what is happening. Re-installed the game and the same issue is present :/ No graphical corruption or crashes in other games.

That's bizarre. I'd reach out to the developer for that one. It's still in Early Access last I checked so there's probably some bizarre hardware/driver/software interaction. Some games have stuff like that, though it's exceedingly rare. (I recall a long thread about bizarre driver-level crashes for Left 4 Dead in the Steam forums some years ago. The devs never responded.)

MUnited83

For you.
What I don't get is complaining that they shouldn't do a Archer Protocol, when Alpha Protocol is already basically Archer Protocol if you go the asshole path.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Whatever you think of South Park, surely y'all will agree that an Obsidian game not written by Obsidian is really missing the studio's greatest strength.

It remains to be seen how strong their writing will remain without Chris Avellone on board, but writing was always their strongest suit and it showed in both dialog and scenario writing. I'd agree that without the core of Obsidian writing, it just isn't the same end product it could be.

What I don't get is complaining that they shouldn't do a Archer Protocol, when Alpha Protocol is already basically Archer Protocol if you go the asshole path.

It absolutely should happen! There's only a few studios I would trust to get it right.

MUnited83

For you.
It remains to be seen how strong their writing will remain without Chris Avellone on board, but writing was always their strongest suit and it showed in both dialog and scenario writing. I'd agree that without the core of Obsidian writing, it just isn't the same end product it could be.

It absolutely should happen! There's only a few studios I would trust to get it right.

Yep! Shame that it probably won't ever happen :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom