• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm enjoying MGSV quite a bit, but there's also a lot to be conflicted by. What better time to stop and reflect!

Approaching almost 35 hours in (subtract 5 or so for times where I had to leave the game AFK, this tends to bloat my playtimes some), I have around 12% completion. I do not know exactly what that percentage entails specifically, but that's rather daunting to consider when you realize just how little I currently have in my stable. For weapons and technology research trees, I'm still within the first 2 tiers of 5-8 tier long development chains. Mother base is considerably built up, but every addition requires ~2 hours of construction time and a dozen hours of idling for materials to process to be able to begin the next upgrade. It should be noted that I have been taking side-ops as soon as they show up and have spent considerable time wandering Mother Base, so if I decided to not do either of those, I could probably be farther along in the story by now.

I have no other partners except D-Horse, the starting partner, and no sign of getting to use either of the two which currently reside at Mother Base. My chosen playstyle, mostly nonlethal, has been cockblocked by a complete lack of development in weapons that allow me to play that way. I have a single tranq pistol that I started with, and two STUN weapons which are, quite frankly, completely useless without the tranq pistol to extend the duration of their knockout. My next nonlethal weapon won't happen for ~10 or so levels in various MB Teams, and it isn't even silenced which makes it about as useful as a deadly weapon. For comparison, I have 20-30 lethal weapons at my disposal. I've broken down and begun murdering anyone who isn't at least a B-rank in something, but I feel like I'm being penalized for wanting to play a certain way, which goes against the entire idea of MGSV letting you adapt to your playstyle.

Storywise, we're lacking in the Kojima Whack-factor, which is either a positive or a negative depending on what side of that camp you reside in. Cutscenes are slow, infrequent, and Big Boss almost never speaks during them. What makes this unusual is that Big Boss himself speaks plenty in the tapes, and Sutherland does such a fantastic job that it pains me when he never opens his mouth when he's on screen. One of the more baffling parts about the whole game, honestly.

That's not to say it's all bad. This is probably the easiest Metal Gear game to play, the various systems were polished to a high shine over years of development. The little things about traversing a map make the sandbox worth messing around in. Mother Base starts off as a quaint pitstop between story missions, and soon balloons into a metropolis. I find myself using the chopper to get around base just so I can admire the way it's growing, walking around the base and finding the little hidden things they place around for curious players to discover. Kojima's quirky humor is spinkled throughout, from plot points and incidental moments on the field to the little signs tucked around mother base. The game looks pretty fantastic considering it's cross-gen, my eyes being fooled by obvious little tricks here and there.

It's really just a joy to play. Most of the time, I've found that the game had a positive response whenever I asked it "Can I do this?". If the game wasn't as fun to experiment in, it'd probably unravel a lot faster. I enjoy swapping tales with pals about how we managed to approach certain fights, or little silly things that happened which made us feel pretty great. If I were to describe MGSV in as short of a manner as possible, I'd say it's a Metal Gear game for people who hated the other Metal Gear games. And as someone who has loved them since Solid first hit the PS1, that leaves me disappointed in a many ways. But there is a lot to love here, which keeps me going despite some very obvious and grating flaws. The worst flaw of all is how bloated the game has become, especially with the awful F2P style wait systems in place. Those honestly have no place in a title one pays full price for.

Bear in mind that I'm still incredibly early in, so things could very well be subject to change! Also, fun tidbit: In the time it's taken me to get this far in MGSV, I could have completed Saints Row 3 two times in a row.

Uzzy

what if obs made a hard core old school turn based wrpg based on naruto

Obsidian should make a wrpg using the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex license.

I'd never need to buy a game again, as perfection would have been reached.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

12% completion, only completed 8 of a projected
story missions, the amount of stuff to do is dizzying. There's also confirmation from Konami that in order to see the true ending, you need to do everything, or almost everything. Side ops (of which there appear to be ~
of) and base management eat up a big chunk of time. Biggest sin that MGSV makes is getting in my way too much with resource grinding, network management and locking playstyles behind huge walls built from both of those previously mentioned aspects.

But then I have "Electric Eye" blasting from my chopper's speakers as I circle my base, soaking in the vast empire I have built with the blood on my hands, and everything's okay for a while.

12% completion, only completed 8 of a projected
story missions, the amount of stuff to do is dizzying. There's also confirmation from Konami that in order to see the true ending, you need to do everything, or almost everything. Side ops (of which there appear to be ~
of) and base management eat up a big chunk of time. Biggest sin that MGSV makes is getting in my way too much with resource grinding, network management and locking playstyles behind huge walls built from both of those previously mentioned aspects.

But then I have "Electric Eye" blasting from my chopper's speakers as I circle my base, soaking in the vast empire I have built with the blood on my hands, and everything's okay for a while.

But what about Killing Floor 2? ;_;

Wok

That's not to say it's all bad. This is probably the easiest Metal Gear game to play, the various systems were polished to a high shine over years of development. The little things about traversing a map make the sandbox worth messing around in. Mother Base starts off as a quaint pitstop between story missions, and soon balloons into a metropolis.

I am having such a hard time playing stealthy in these dark desertic settings. Do not tell me the game is easy. Or you mean the most polished MG game, and I could agree.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm at 13% with 18 hours racked up according to Steam after having finished Episode 12 before I stopped for today. I feel like I did quite a bit already since I only have 2-3 side-ops to tackle there.

Chariot

Also at 13% and going to tackle chapter 8 next with 19 hours. I did some side content and re-ran some episodes to get ready with ressources. Heard there is some grind lategame, so I decided I could just start grinding a bit in advance. Plus, those fucking secondary objectives >:O

Dr Dogg

Couple of tips for MGS5. Don't just auto assign your units at Mother Base, shuffle them around to increase levels to get access to developments quicker than just letting Miller dump them wherever. If you're a level or 2 short in R&D personnel then take some out of the other units, same if you need a couple of levels in another department you're short on. If you're playing non lethal you really need to Fulton everyone in sight (although some missions/guard posts play best just sneaking past everyone). Get a handle on the area you're infiltrating, how many guards, their patrol routes and where's a safe spot to Fulton from that you can bring them to without the balloon being spotted. I've found taking out a couple at a time and Fultoning them back to create holes in the guards patrol route so I can get in and out more easily very effective. Also sandstorms can be very effective for getting in behind a large group, knock them out and them Fulton them where it clears. You need to use a combination of tranqs and chokeouts interrogating to find prisoners, blueprints, resources etc more easily (with CQC slams and throws as a last resort due to the noise they make) as you need to manage your resources sparingly on large bases. When you're out of Fultons, tranq darts and/or your suppressor has died order in a supply drop to restock. For upgrades to focus on go for the Decoy, Smoke Grenades, Fultons and Wu Pistol upgrades to make all of the above a lot easier to do. The Decoy is like an upgraded magazine as you can lure enemies with the sound of it when just throwing it to lure them away, hold their attention when you pop it up and if they are stood over it when you pop it you'll knock them out too. You'll be needing to upgrade Mother Base to house all the guys and gals you're Fultoning back so getting that upgraded to take the storage containers of unprocessed materials back asap will help with that.

Anteater

Someone on the Mad Max thread says that the cheapest deal is $18.99 through SlickDeals.

I googled it and i think it points me to cdkeys or something, not sure if that's the deal they are talking about, never looked at slickdeals before.

With as cheap as it is already, it might not be a stretch to see it under 20 by the end of the year.

yeah, but so tempting to play it now

with a chance of me shoving it into backlog after the weekend lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fibre connection update #489592: The area's Ready for Service date was moved forward from the 23rd to today. So long, ADSL, you awful son of a bitch.

Momentary

Banned
I said that you were justified in being upset about the launch state of One Piece Pirate Warriors 3... but you apparently missed that part and just felt like raging because you thought I said you were unreasonable for being upset.

I thought it was pretty clear, but apparently not based on this response.

Yep, that's what happened. I apologize.

Momentary

Banned
Sorry this has already been mentioned, but I remember someone saying yesterday that MGS V and Mad Max sales data wasn't showing up on SteamSpy or something like it. Well, they show up just fine for me right now (so publishers weren't requesting to hide it, I guess).

Metal Gear Solid V has sold 324,468 ± 14,431. Not bad, I guess?

Mad Max is at 90,517 ± 9,240.

Edit. So MGS V data was already there, ahh well, just move along lol.

MGSV showed up fine yesterday(and before yesterday as well). Mad Max data is not accurate at the moment, since the data has been collected for like only a day.

"Not populated yet" is what I will say next time.

I did end up buying Mad Max but just ended up playing Civ Beyond Earth, WoW and HotS instead. I'll probably boot it up this weekend, eager to see what I think of it. In some ways Mad Max looks like it's kind of what I wanted out of Rage's overworld but didn't quite get. Interested to see if the campaign's structure and gating is as problematic as it's made out to be. Or if the Arkham/Mordor styled hand-to-hand combat feels derivative and out of place.

Momentary

Banned
Raiden IV is no joke. I didn't want to do it, but looks like I'm going to have to bump down the difficulty to easy. It's impossible for me on normal right now.

CheesecakeRecipe perfectly described how I feel about MGSV at the moment, couldn't have said it better.

I also broke my no kill rule, it feels good being a demon. Plus a lot of these lethal weapons are fun to play with.

Dr Dogg

Right real talk, is anyone here playing Dragon's Dogma Online? What'd you think? Some decent impressions in the Import OT so might get on it when I've cleared some stuff (and hope my 'tinterweb connection holds up).

Anteater

Right real talk, is anyone here playing Dragon's Dogma Online? What'd you think? Some decent impressions in the Import OT so might get on it when I've cleared some stuff (and hope my 'tinterweb connection holds up).

you need to set up a vpn to play it right?

I googled it and i think it points me to cdkeys or something, not sure if that's the deal they are talking about, never looked at slickdeals before.

I'm not really sure.
I think you can ask directly on the thread.

Get VPN Gate, it's free.
You'll only need VPN connection up until the login screen, otherwise you can disconnect and play the game directly from your connection. I'm gonna jump in later after I'm finished with MGS V.

For some reason, I got episode 11 and 12 before I could do 10, so when I did 10, I wanted to wrap things up fast so I could progress further in the story.

I chose the drop point directly on enemy base. While the helicopter's giant speakers were playing "Ride of the Valkyries", I rained down bullets with the mounted minigun, decimating the base soldiers. After the onslaught ended, I jumped off the chopper and took out two survivors with my sniper rifle, then carried four prisoners to the chopper, and got my second S rank in the game (first being
dropping supplies on Quiet's head
(ep11) ).

Stealth

For some reason, I got episode 11 and 12 before I could do 10, so when I did 10, I wanted to wrap things up fast so I could progress further in the story.

I chose the drop point directly on enemy base. While the helicopter's giant speakers were playing "Ride of the Valkyries", I rained down bullets with the mounted minigun, decimating the base soldiers. After the onslaught ended, I jumped off the chopper and took out two survivors with my sniper rifle, then carried four prisoners to the chopper, and got my second S rank in the game (first being
dropping supplies on Quiet's head
(ep11) ).

Stealth

Friend of mine got the S-rank for that the same way. It was hilarious XD

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
GvUlcy1.jpg

Stairs

Dr Dogg

As texhnolyze says you just need a VPN to dowload the installer and when you open up the launcher. Game size at the mo (Ver 1000006) is 13 and a half gigglybites. Honestly hardest part is registering a Capcom Online Games account.

Get VPN Gate, it's free.
You'll only need VPN connection up until the login screen, otherwise you can disconnect and play the game directly from your connection. I'm gonna jump in later after I'm finished with MGS V.

Well I thought I'll get the bulk of it downloaded while I can and poke my nose in. FlyVPN works fine as well and I know is not infested with malware or leaves stuff on your system.

Hektor

Isn't that kinda what Obsidian already does? Take popular licenses-- like say Star Wars or Fallout-- and make decent RPGs out of them? True they aren't as prolific as Telltale but different types of game and all.

what if obs made a hard core old school turn based wrpg based on naruto

Would it have as much filler as the anime?

So I bought "Shower your Dad Simulator"... yeah... ok, I'll do it to myself

simp sons_nelson_haha.gif

Its got a couple of cute jokes but after that, its a waste of time and money. I should know better.

giphy.gif

Surprising, thats really not what i expected.

Approaching almost 35 hours in (subtract 5 or so for times where I had to leave the game AFK, this tends to bloat my playtimes some), I have around 12% completion.

Im at 34% with a playtime of 30 hours. What are you doing with your time lol?

Maniac

Banned
this game was trash. only "well received" well after it released because it's an Obsidian game.

People have this weird mentality where their favorite developer can't have a bad game.

Did I mention you have terrible opinions? Because you do.

And factually wrong ones, too.

I never really gave a shit about Obsidian until about a year or two ago. But I loved the shit out of Alpha Protocol long before that.

Now kindly ask those near you for assistance with pulling yer' head outta your bunghole.
was this posted already? a new VN from mangagamer in September - A Kiss for the Petals - Remembering How We Met

much yuri

ARTHEA

I THOUGHT WE HAD BEEN OVER DIS

FUUUUUCK ANIMOOO.
</3

Dr Dogg

That recent "Lesbian Ghost VN hits Steam" thread had a bit of correlation between content of post and posters said avatar. Not that I'm avatarist.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm 12 hours into MGSV and have 7% completed, also just decided to stop with my silly no kills rule.

I'm already a demon and goddamn the lethal weapons are fun.

Yeap Batman AK is awesome it uses 4GB of VRAM and 8GB of RAM for smooth 60FPS.

Yeah if you want to play this game wait until you get really good graphic card and shit ton of RAM.
The patch released today was the features patch. They still have an optimization patch coming. So give it a bit more time. Or do what I do and pretend the game doesn't exist till the next patch is out. It's not like there aren't a thousand things to play besides AK right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom