• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

Whatever that is, suddenly had two keys at Groupees.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (derExperte, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Pester -- MB-22E2D24876367CA2 - Taken by ramoisdead. 3 entrants total.

t1441361251z1.png

Salsa

I'm enjoying MGSV quite a bit, but there's also a lot to be conflicted by. What better time to stop and reflect!

Approaching almost 35 hours in (subtract 5 or so for times where I had to leave the game AFK, this tends to bloat my playtimes some), I have around 12% completion. I do not know exactly what that percentage entails specifically, but that's rather daunting to consider when you realize just how little I currently have in my stable. For weapons and technology research trees, I'm still within the first 2 tiers of 5-8 tier long development chains. Mother base is considerably built up, but every addition requires ~2 hours of construction time and a dozen hours of idling for materials to process to be able to begin the next upgrade. It should be noted that I have been taking side-ops as soon as they show up and have spent considerable time wandering Mother Base, so if I decided to not do either of those, I could probably be farther along in the story by now.

I have no other partners except D-Horse, the starting partner, and no sign of getting to use either of the two which currently reside at Mother Base. My chosen playstyle, mostly nonlethal, has been cockblocked by a complete lack of development in weapons that allow me to play that way. I have a single tranq pistol that I started with, and two STUN weapons which are, quite frankly, completely useless without the tranq pistol to extend the duration of their knockout. My next nonlethal weapon won't happen for ~10 or so levels in various MB Teams, and it isn't even silenced which makes it about as useful as a deadly weapon. For comparison, I have 20-30 lethal weapons at my disposal. I've broken down and begun murdering anyone who isn't at least a B-rank in something, but I feel like I'm being penalized for wanting to play a certain way, which goes against the entire idea of MGSV letting you adapt to your playstyle.

Storywise, we're lacking in the Kojima Whack-factor, which is either a positive or a negative depending on what side of that camp you reside in. Cutscenes are slow, infrequent, and Big Boss almost never speaks during them. What makes this unusual is that Big Boss himself speaks plenty in the tapes, and Sutherland does such a fantastic job that it pains me when he never opens his mouth when he's on screen. One of the more baffling parts about the whole game, honestly.

That's not to say it's all bad. This is probably the easiest Metal Gear game to play, the various systems were polished to a high shine over years of development. The little things about traversing a map make the sandbox worth messing around in. Mother Base starts off as a quaint pitstop between story missions, and soon balloons into a metropolis. I find myself using the chopper to get around base just so I can admire the way it's growing, walking around the base and finding the little hidden things they place around for curious players to discover. Kojima's quirky humor is spinkled throughout, from plot points and incidental moments on the field to the little signs tucked around mother base. The game looks pretty fantastic considering it's cross-gen, my eyes being fooled by obvious little tricks here and there.

It's really just a joy to play. Most of the time, I've found that the game had a positive response whenever I asked it "Can I do this?". If the game wasn't as fun to experiment in, it'd probably unravel a lot faster. I enjoy swapping tales with pals about how we managed to approach certain fights, or little silly things that happened which made us feel pretty great. If I were to describe MGSV in as short of a manner as possible, I'd say it's a Metal Gear game for people who hated the other Metal Gear games. And as someone who has loved them since Solid first hit the PS1, that leaves me disappointed in a many ways. But there is a lot to love here, which keeps me going despite some very obvious and grating flaws. The worst flaw of all is how bloated the game has become, especially with the awful F2P style wait systems in place. Those honestly have no place in a title one pays full price for.

Bear in mind that I'm still incredibly early in, so things could very well be subject to change! Also, fun tidbit: In the time it's taken me to get this far in MGSV, I could have completed Saints Row 3 two times in a row.

bottom line;

dont play side ops too much and focus on missions

you oughta have better stuff at that playtime

The last really good one was so long ago that I won't even preorder the Be Mines anymore.

Judging by the chat bot, very few people had any of the games, even the famous Zoe only had one and one other guy had 2/6. No guarantee of quality but it's probably a guarantee of few repeats. Although the games could be so bad that no one bought them.

AsfaeksBR

After almost 2 years being a console-only player, I'm now back to PC Gaming. Just bought the parts, waiting for them to arrive!

Question: How's MGS TPP on Keyboard+Mouse? Does is work, or should I play it with a controller?

After almost 2 years being a console-only player, I'm now back to PC Gaming. Just bought the parts, waiting for them to arrive!

Question: How's MGS TPP on Keyboard+Mouse? Does is work, or should I play it with a controller?
KB+M is perfect, occasionally the button prompt would show controller buttons, but I think it would get patched soon.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Only bad thing is that there is no mouse-controlled menus.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Messed around a little bit in the pre-order DLC/batmobile challenge rooms in Arkham Knight and they held a perfect 60 with the new patch, all settings maxed + Nvidia rain/lights on my 970 at 1080p. Not bad at all. Bring on the season pass content pleaseeeeee.

The only thing Alpha Protocol did well was the branching story based on the conversations and your choices. Which just happens to be the core of the game and it was the best I've ever seen. Everything outside that one aspect of the game was total garbage. It looked like shit, it ran like shit, the levels were horrible, the gameplay was horrible and unbalanced, the stealth was broken and everyone just loved that famous minigame. So while I do recommend that everyone should play the game just to see the choices and consequences in the story, the guy is absolutely right in saying that the game would have been trashed left and right if it didn't have the Obsidian writing to back it up.

Pillars of Eternity White March Complete and part 1 editions are now available from Nuuvem without a vpn for $12.30 and $7.22 respectively.
Edit: Not true, they just removed the hiding of region locked games. My apologies!

bottom line;

Side Ops are where you get a lot of the better items. I'm at around 20 hours(less than that because I idled for a bit while studying) and have 22% completion, every companion(Quiet at 95% loyalty) and up to mission 20 in the main story. There are stun and smoke grenades which help a lot and the sneaking suit you get from Ground Zeroes is good in the early game before you can afford the R&D versions. Certain story missions actually lead to world state changes which make everything in the game harder so if you're struggling it's actually better to put them off. At a certain point you have to be able to get close to enemies as traditional weapons become ineffective.

Phinor

Pillars of Eternity White March Complete and part 1 editions are now available from Nuuvem without a vpn for $12.30 and $7.22 respectively.

This item is unavailable in your country. Says the same thing about most games. Seems like they just removed the hiding of games, but region locks remain when you actually go to checkout.

derExperte

[notPC] Driveclub + Season Pass is currently on sale for 19,99€ at the PSN store. Ignoring SonyGAF's hyperbole it's a damn fine racer and the season pass will give you tons of content.

Judging by the chat bot, very few people had any of the games, even the famous Zoe only had one and one other guy had 2/6. No guarantee of quality but it's probably a guarantee of few repeats. Although the games could be so bad that no one bought them.

Lots of games on my wishlist are owned by almost no one so it could go either way. Afair the last Be Mine did sell noticeably less than the ones before so if I were an optimist I'd say that they'll go all out to pull people back in. But I'm no optimist.

FloatOn

Man the more I play of Scholar of the First Sin the more I am eating my words on when I critiqued DKS2...

Turns out I missed so much content the first time I played this game and doing co op with a friend is much better than the solo experience. The changes they made for Scholar are fucking rad too. In the slim chance you haven't played DKS2 yet, don't bother, Scholar is absolutely the way to go.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I've really got to go back and finish Aquaria one of these days. I really liked it at the start, but the game just got more annoying the more I went along. Having to constantly switch between forms got really old, especially when there was at least one boss battle (don't remember which one, though) that required really frequent switching. Having to sing the songs back and forth was just way too clunky.
I just used the number hot keys instead of singing. Like 1 is for normal, 2 is for energy, etc. And then 9 is for the shield and 0 is for the binding power.

But yeah, the game was annoying as hell, but it's really satisfying when you get over the hump, so to speak.

edit: of course I've been beaten to this by Servizio hours ago. I should really read the rest of the thread before I post.

AHA-Lambda

33% complete on MGS 5 and about to do last level
for the first ending
, after 30 hours. This game is gigantic, dare I say too big ._.

bottom line;

Agreed with this, the side ops were driving me insane. Progress on main missions and do side ops in down time.

[notPC] Driveclub + Season Pass is currently on sale for 19,99€ at the PSN store. Ignoring SonyGAF's hyperbole it's a damn fine racer and the season pass will give you tons of content.

Lots of games on my wishlist are owned by almost no one so it could go either way. Afair the last Be Mine did sell noticeably less than the ones before so if I were an optimist I'd say that they'll go all out to pull people back in. But I'm no optimist.

One is Terra Nova and only JaseC has it.

Hard to tell if it's general bundle fatigue or just crap bundles. Bundles sales seem to be down everywhere. Groupees are gettin pretty average, Indiegala apart from maybe Mondays are complete crap, Humble are scrapping the bottom of the barrel or trying all sorts of sneaky tricks to push up the averages leaving Bundlestars and their occasional star bundles.

derExperte

One is Terra Nova and only JaseC has it.

Hard to tell if it's general bundle fatigue or just crap bundles. Bundles sales seem to be down everywhere. Groupees are gettin pretty average, Indiegala apart from maybe Mondays are complete crap, Humble are scrapping the bottom of the barrel or trying all sorts of sneaky tricks to push up the averages leaving Bundlestars and their occasional star bundles.

Terra Nova, one my favorite underrated gems of all time. Also a game I'd rather remember fondly, talk about how it was ahead of its time and blame dumb gamers for not recognizing its genius than play again.

And it's crappy bundles, I still get excited about good ones but most just aren't.

Phinor

Forza 6 is damn good. Wish it was on PC though, too lazy to check FPS and resolution.

I tried streaming it to my PC. Even at very high quality (ie. maximum) the quality is pretty bad, and the latency noticeable. So the streaming dream remains dead at least.

k guys about to update to windows 10 my one worr is if i uninstall my nvidia drivers I'll have no picture (as my cpu doesnt have a gpu), so do i keep my drivers installed before the installation or what?

Pachimari

Great write-up, one of the better ones!
I'm also very conflicted about the game. I haven't touched it the past two days and have only played around 8 hours. The things you listed, I don't like either, with the muted Big Boss, few cutscenes and no focus on story. But the gameplay is just so smooth.

So should i wait to continue my game, to get the more fleshed out romance story? I'm only a few hours in anyway.

Parsnip

I've just found out one could play music from the chopper in MGSV.

Everything has changed!

Aha - Take On Me as the chopper music is endlessly amusing.

There's also a new beta patch out for MGS5.

Beta 1.004 release / ベータ 1.004 リリース
Beta 1.004 has been released.

Changelist:

- Emblem Customization performance issues fixed
Fixed problem where game would drastically slow down when creating custom emblems.

- Tentative fix to address crash bugs during Chapter 1.
Tentatively fixed crashes that would occur on systems that had certain video codecs installed.

k guys about to update to windows 10 my one worr is if i uninstall my nvidia drivers I'll have no picture (as my cpu doesnt have a gpu), so do i keep my drivers installed before the installation or what?

You'll be fine. It might default to some terrible resolution like 1024x768 if you completely remove them but you'll be able to install new drivers no probs.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know how to get rid of that locked input thing? It's that thing like at a menu screen, it keeps scrolling up through the options because you were messing with the analog stick as the game was loading, for example, and your character gets stuck moving in a direction.

Whenever I load Costume Quest it's doing that to me, and I can't play the game unless I manage to get rid of it somehow.

edit: This guy has my problem, too: http://steamcommunity.com/app/115100/discussions/0/598198356176800463/
edit2: So does the last guy in this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/115100/discussions/0/617328329156170138/

I guess it's not just me, but I kind of want to play the game, so this sucks.

Maniac

Banned
Does snake start singing to it like they do in Saints Row 2?

Oh I wish. It's been my heli music since the first hour of the game. So glorious.

Also I'm back to having random crashes after the patch, despite the beta version of the very same patch fixed it. Dafuq. -_-

Dsyndrome

Will jump on it when/if it hits NA PSN, only heard good things about the game recently.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Im at 34% with a playtime of 30 hours. What are you doing with your time lol?

Doing absolutely everything except story missions. As Dr. Dogg mentioned, it's pretty important to fulton as much as you can, so I often take scenic routes to locations just so I can hit more bases to fulton more soldiers. I followed a bit of a pattern with progression - 2-4 side ops, a story mission, return to mother base. Every other MB return I'd walk around, check out newly constructed additions, pick up diamonds, do target practice for piss easy GMP, etc.

I'd just gotten so locked into that mode of operation that it didn't hit me until last night that I might have to break out of that haha.

bottom line;

Yeah, it hit as I was typing that post that I've ended up in a bit of a "Get the fuck out of the Hinterlands!" moment with Phantom Pain. By trying to do as much as I could, I've bloated up my own playtime considerably, putting me behind on my toolset/skillset progression. Changing my approach today and sticking to more story missions than side ops to see how much it'll improve my situation.

I am having such a hard time playing stealthy in these dark desertic settings. Do not tell me the game is easy. Or you mean the most polished MG game, and I could agree.

Having a wide-open desert playpen gives me so many ways to approach an area, which feels a lot less restrictive than the corridors of old. Small encampments are easily bypassed, or taken over with a few magazines, a smoke grenade and some good ol' fashioned haymakers to the face. I've extracted who I need and left long before anyone wakes up. I'm just a little limited on gear for longer range engagements.

It is a bit harder thanks to the AI being much sharper and persistent in checking out things they think they see. Their field of view cones are much longer to compensate for the map size, which can lead to one getting caught and the whole base alerted much faster than in previous MGS games. There's tradeoffs here and there, but I feel like overall it's easier to get in, get what I need, and get out. Then again, I used to torture myself by playing on European Extreme difficulty in the old games~

But yeah, with that statement I meant it is the easiest to get into. The mechanics are highly polished and account for almost everything a player would want to do. Someone who had difficulty adjusting to previous games' rules of
nature
engagement will have no problems getting themselves used to the way everything works in MGSV. Overall, that's a huge win for both players and KojiPro.

Nice, something to look forward to when I do a second playthrough.

Anyway, the Fox Engine really is a fantastic engine, I'm impressed.
Haven't played much but I'm loving the game. I'm getting tired of the scenery pretty fast though, it's so unappealing visually and very repetitive.

Confessions of a Steam trading card addict:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/XalavierNelson/20150831/252577/Endless_SteamHow_I_Found_Valves_Greatest_Game.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

I couldn’t concentrate or sleep (which probably explains the lack of articles in December). Even when I was physically spending time with family or friends, my mind was back at the Trading Guild, strategizing. I’ve seen more sunrises through hooded, bleary eyes than I care to mention. The more I promised I’d change and failed to do so, the more I hated myself for what I was doing to my body, and seemingly couldn’t stop.

Dozens of hours down the drain to save $2.99–only to start again immediately after.

redlacs

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Moonrise -- MB-8FA055101FBCC466 - Taken by corrosivefrost. 22 entrants total.

t1441385311z1.png

Sch1sm

Finished episode 2 of The Wolf Among Us last night, and I think that episode made me not so bored with it all like the 1st did. Sure, it was slow paced to start, but it led to interesting, and some real scandalous things.
That Snow death, that ended up being a troll (Lily) in a glamour? THE HOTEL ROOM IN THE OPEN ARMS? M8, WHAT.
I like it. I hope I continue to do, so buying the Telltale bundle doesn't ultimately end with regrets so early into playing them.

Helps that I know absolutely nothing about what The Wolf Among Us is based on and cannot discern what's canon. I've made some choices that probably aren't the greatest, or most popular, or completely go against the comic.

Is this game turn based? looks really interesting

The game was apparently just cancelled. Servers go down at the end of the year.

Helps that I know absolutely nothing about what The Wolf Among Us is based on and cannot discern what's canon. I've made some choices that probably aren't the greatest, or most popular, or completely go against the comic.

The game is canon to the comic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom