• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

Banned
If ya'll want cutscenes, watch a movie. Get those shitty ass crap pieces of shitty exposition outta muh games. You don't need cutscenes nor codecs to tell a good story, nor to tell one well. Hell, you'll tell one a lot better without.

Although MGSV is kind of terrible at story telling, but god damn the gameplay is good, so I don't give a shit.

Also where the fuck is my cat? She's been gone for 48 hours now. I miss my fucking cat. She's so tiny, cute and trusting too! Anyone could've nicked her ;_;

I MISS MY KITTY. It's terrible to sleep without muh kitty ;_;

Someone go to Denmark and find muh kitty!

Jawmuncher

If ya'll want cutscenes, watch a movie. Get those shitty ass crap pieces of shitty exposition outta muh games. You don't need cutscenes nor codecs to tell a good story, nor to tell one well. Hell, you'll tell one a lot better without.

Although MGSV is kind of terrible at story telling, but god damn the gameplay is good, so I don't give a shit.

Also where the fuck is my cat? She's been gone for 48 hours now. I miss my fucking cat. She's so tiny, cute and trusting too! Anyone could've nicked her ;_;

I MISS MY KITTY. It's terrible to sleep without muh kitty ;_;

Someone go to Denmark and find muh kitty!

Its a fair complaint when in the past that was what the games were all about. Its like the Resident Evil complaints about the new stuff not being scary, it still stands since that is where the series started.Telling people to just get over it is never a good thing, but rather they keep a open mind with new styles is better.

Parsnip

That feeling in MGS5 when you don't know how to get to approach an enemy base....and then a sandstorm comes. Based Sandstorms.

Also, does it matter what order you do the 'Story' missions in? Or can I jump around? I want to get Quiet.....D-Horse isn't getting it done.

The yellow side op that has you go make contact with
Emmerich spawns proper story missions for Quiet and Emmerich
, missions 11 and 12 I think the numbers were and when I went to do it, I had not done mission 10. Seems fine. I still actually haven't done mission 10.

its my birthday!

im 21!

lEwACD5.png

This time i'm not the one posting this, eh.

Happy birthday!

Of Montreal put on a crazy show, for the guy who was going next week you'll have a great time. Even on the small stage they managed to bring out tons of costumes. Surface To Air Missive was a pretty nice prog rock surprise as well, certainly the best opening act I've seen given 95% of my concert experience is terrible Alaskan heavy metal bands :p

Hopefully I can beat MGS V before Monday, don't want to rush the game but at the same time I don't want it to be distracting me when I actually have to do things, lol.

Lain

DerExperte, you fud spreading monster, you have some 'splaining to do!

----------

I'm surprised by some of the comments I've been reading about MGS5 in here. I mean, after MGS4, I didn't think I'd read that 5 didn't have enough cutscenes or seeing disappointment over a ratio that favors gameplay more, despite the gameplay being described as really good.
This gives me such a strange feeling, being an onlooker from the outside (because I don't have the game).

A spare Gauntlet code for your troubles.

ModBot said:
Instructions for crazyrabbits:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gauntlet -- MB-E79C4A963F6AD168 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 31 entrants total.

t1441477894z1.png

Deitus

I'm surprised by some of the comments I've been reading about MGS5 in here. I mean, after MGS4, I didn't think I'd read that 5 didn't have enough cutscenes or seeing disappointment over a ratio that favors gameplay more, despite the gameplay being described as really good.
This gives me such a strange feeling, being an onlooker from the outside (because I don't have the game).

I know recent discussions about MGS4 tend to focus on how terrible of a game it is, and how it destroyed the series, but it did win GAF GOTY (twice I hear), so certainly a lot of people liked it, cutscenes and all. There are a lot of people that like that about the MGS series. And there are a lot of people that hate that as well. The people upset at the lack of cutscenes, are probably not the same people who complained about them in 4.

That said, MGSV is somewhat different game from the previous games in the series, but we've known this since Ground Zeroes game out. So far I'm enjoying what it is, even if it's not exactly what I previously came to the MGS series for.

Well, all of that stuff is still there, it's just a lower percentage of the total playtime. It's much better than Ground Zeroes in that regard. Outside of having a guy named Skull Face in the opening cutscene, and a certain conspicuously placed
bomb
, Ground Zeroes was pretty grounded for a MGS game. Phantom Pain is back to the balance of serious war story, philosophical mumbo jumbo, and zany Kojima-ness. It's just that there is more playtime in between major story events, and you can't sit there for an hour calling every one of your support crew on the codec for an hour for every hour of gameplay.

But then I'm not super far in yet.

Cth

Are Gaf games often played ? It could be the selling point for the game to me.

There's a lot of us that like playing it.. so far I recall 3 or 4 games as of recent. That may be due to the tournament that's going on at the moment.

There's cross play too, so there's a lot of people to play with.

I'll be honest I got the beta and wasn't sold on it, but then it clicked one day and I'm hooked. Lots of unlockables, etc.. and you can do some interesting stuff as you become more advanced as a player.

B is my lowest, and this is my first MGS game.

I've completely fucked up missions and had to kill entire bases and still ended up with an A. I guess I don't set off alarms often and don't do too much two way fighting. Mostly sneak around and headshot.

Useful for MB : Tranq
Not Useful for MB : Dead

The yellow side op that has you go make contact with
Emmerich spawns proper story missions for Quiet and Emmerich
, missions 11 and 12 I think the numbers were and when I went to do it, I had not done mission 10. Seems fine. I still actually haven't done mission 10.

Ah yes, I just had a codec pop in mentioning here...I guess I was just impatient.

It's quite strange. The game itself, is really fantastic. To me, it just doesn't FEEL like a MGS game. The gameplay is spot on, although I really miss the weapon customization of MGS4 though. And not being able to bring multiple 'secondary weapons' (because of robo hand) is a bummer.

Loving the MB stuff, enjoying the side ops, enjoying the main missions. Story just seems lacking so far which isn't really typical of a Kojima game. All I've got so far is "make MB bigger because fuck Cipher". The 'story' has been kind of a let down after that epic prologue.

Maniac

Banned
Its a fair complaint when in the past that was what the games were all about. Its like the Resident Evil complaints about the new stuff not being scary, it still stands since that is where the series started.Telling people to just get over it is never a good thing, but rather they keep a open mind with new styles is better.

I'm not tellin' anyone that they can't complain about change in a franchise, I'm telling everyone that thinks cutscenes are good that they're factually wrong and should go watch movies if they like cutscenes, that's all.

Also if MGSV was as cutscene heavy as the past games I would've likely hated it. Cutscenes are a way of storytelling and exposition that's used by designers that can't overcome the obstacle of storytelling without taking the player out of the game, which I sodding hate. :p

And Kojima's cutscenes and his style just shows that the dude has always wanted to make movies, even if he doesn't know it. :p

Kiru

Yeah, don't get it in the client

Looks like it has to do with the litte wishlist note symbol in the middle. Probably Enhanced Steam. I get those super huge early access buttons overlaying everything when using Enhanced Steam in Firefox.

EDIT: you said you don't use Enhanced Steam, so I'm out of ideas lol

MGS V performance definitely decreased in the last patch right? At max settings I'm getting 50 FPS at 1440P at times with a 980Ti :/

Game looks worse than Ground Zeroes and runs worse.

Deitus

MGS V performance definitely decreased in the last patch right? At max settings I'm getting 50 FPS at 1440P at times with a 980Ti :/

The only thing that got worse with the last patch is that now that I can connect to connect to the servers, the game sometimes gets stuck loading the menus.

Dr Dogg

Between that thread and the Vita one currently on the front page, it seems like buying a Playstation comes with a free persecution complex.

You should see the Mad Max DF thread if you want a giggle/hold your head in despair. Everything I loath about Gaming side in 3 pages. How dare Avalanche not take advantage of my superior shiny plastic toy box! Any warranted discussion about said title, its rendering tech (which has some neat things going on mind) and how it performs are completely lost now.

Maybe my card is dying then, lol. Everything at max?

Although I'm later in the game so you might not be experiencing the larger areas within Africa with drops yet.

derExperte

You should see the Mad Max DF thread if you want a giggle/hold your head in despair. Everything I loath about Gaming side in 3 pages. How dare Avalanche not take advantage of my superior shiny plastic toy box! Any warranted discussion about said title, its rendering tech (which has some neat things going on mind) and how it performs are completely lost now.

Or the Forza 6 thread about the demo. Got completely butt-fucked by SonyGAF. Without lube.

DerExperte, you fud spreading monster, you have some 'splaining to do!

Regarding W!CKED's reputation you just need to read the post I linked to in that thread earlier. Regarding Alej.... love his regular salty rants about angst, persecution and oppression by a vocal minority of PCGAFers.

MUnited83

For you.
We don't know all the games yet. Those are just educated guesses based on a handful of hints so far.

Thanks to the new feature that checks whether you own the games on the bundle or not It's easy to confirm the ones guessed so far. We checked Verbis dev's profile, only has 3 games in his account, one being Verbis itself. Feature says he has one game included in the bundle.
Same with Belladonna dev, 30 something games in account, owns 1 of them.
I believe same has been done Terra Nova and Ankh.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I noticed a bit of stuttering the other day, and a lot of small half-second pauses when certain types of audio would play. I thought it was just me, but maybe something did bug up?

You should let me borrow that 980ti, so I can test! ;3

Groupees Be Mine 22 pre-order still up for another 5 hours. 5 steam games, 1 GL.

Thanks for the heads up Freggie. Put in a pre-order.

I picked up Dying Light from Nuuvem as well. As Salsa observed yesterday, this game has been something of an anomaly when it comes to discounts. That the best deal the game has gotten to date is $17 after the better part of a year says it all really.

Just when am I going to play it though? :\

Yup, I saw the beginnings of that thread too. Somehow the nasty Xbox pulled ahead in some metrics and fans of the other team came down on the devs like a ton of bricks.

It occurs to me that the only reason to read these threads is because once in a while Horse Armor/Mr. Orange manage to reel in a few posters.

Anteater

lazy devs

they should've made a different version of their game for each individual platform they're developing for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom