• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does it require much more horsepower to run at 1440p? I'm currently running 2x 780 SLI (which is unfortunately only 3GB).

I looked into 1600x1200 (since Guru3D doesn't do 1680x1050) versus 2560x1440 a while back and found that the hit to the reported framerates was generally ~35%. In the end, I decided that buying a second GPU now to help drive a 27" monitor wasn't worth it, so I sidelined the idea and will revisit it come Pascal. With any luck, VA/IPS G-Sync monitors will be a little cheaper by then.

Sober

Killing Floor 2 is not bad, I have to say.

The only thing that bothers me though is whenever a round is over, the game will just hang when it tries to switch to the next map. Happening every time. =\

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of thesaucetastic, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (thesaucetastic, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution -- MB-5E11BA1F19D65416 - Taken by gabbo. 6 entrants total.
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Game of the Year Edition -- MB-A4849904C42F351B - Taken by fertygo. 1 entrants total.
Company of Heroes Complete Edition -- MB-0E752D4A3D788C11 - Taken by Regginator. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Company of Heroes 2 -- MB-98D59E2A292C930E - Taken by Ruruja. 11 entrants total.
Warhammer 40K: Space Marine -- MB-86AC5A1E8767C759 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 7 entrants total.
Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Front Armies: US Forces -- MB-25B9F344FDD1A1D2 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 2 entrants total.
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II -- MB-D6E7AE7608F5B89F - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Front Armies: Oberkommando West -- MB-0E02D21EEA08E6B8 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 2 entrants total.

t1441484434z1.png

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I found a work around for the problem I had with Costume Quest: I just have to hold down w continuously, and use the arrow keys in conjunction with it. I guess the w cancels out the upward movement, so I can use the arrow keys to move properly. Whatever works, I guess!
Happy birthday to you as well saucy!
Happy Birthday! :)
Happy birthday!

lEwACD5.png
Thanks you guys!
Happy birthday sauce!

We birthday bros now
*fist bump* Happy birthday to you, too.

JaseC

Ok, so the correct procedure would be to log on nuuvem, activate vpn, put in the cart, click checkout and disable the VPN prior to logging in Paypal right?

Keep the VPN enabled when using PayPal. The transaction may not complete otherwise.

JaseC

Even if I do end up replacing my 22" Dell next year, I'm going to keep it around so I can take it to the pub when it turns 18 and still works.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
loading times for doing simple R&D stuff on Mother Base in MGS V are pretty HIDEOus

JaseC

but in that case I would send my paypal credentials via VPN

The likelihood of somebody privy to the traffic being able to crack the SSL encryption is practically zero. If you want to err on the side of caution, though, just change your password afterwards.

You take your pc to a pub?

It's my only friend. Like the toilet Gene finds in that episode of Bob's Burgers.

Dell have a good monitors.What will be replacement ?

Probably Acer's 27" Predator unless there's a comparable alternative that's cheaper. I want something with good colour reproduction (i.e. a VA or IPS panel) and G-Sync.

Knurek

Finally done with Metal Gear: Raiden does Denver.
God, that final boss fight. Took me 90 minutes to git gut enough to finish the fucker. Unforgettable experience.

Pachimari

I'm not tellin' anyone that they can't complain about change in a franchise, I'm telling everyone that thinks cutscenes are good that they're factually wrong and should go watch movies if they like cutscenes, that's all.

You should read your post again. It's not even funny.

Dr Dogg

loading times for doing simple R&D stuff on Mother Base in MGS V are pretty HIDEOus

The first couple suck you in as they complete instantly but then the further tiers are 18 mins, 30 mins, an hour and a bleeding half and so on. Still at least it's better than Peace Walker where you had to go do an Op to get R&D to complete sometimes.

Finally done with Metal Gear: Raiden does Denver.
God, that final boss fight. Took me 90 minutes to git gut enough to finish the fucker. Unforgettable experience.

All the bosses test you on you competency of the games mechanics right up to the final encounter where you need to have got everything down pat. The Monsoon fight is the test if you can counter in succession and multiple directions one after the other. Some of the enemy pair ups in Bayonetta would pound you into the ground if you hadn't learnt the right approach and W101 you needed to use the right Unite Form or combination of on certain enemies to knock them over quick.

Maniac

Banned
The likelihood of somebody privy to the traffic being able to crack the SSL encryption is practically zero. If you want to err on the side of caution, though, just change your password afterwards.

It's my only friend. Like the toilet Gene finds in that episode of Bob's Burgers.

Probably Acer's 27" Predator unless there's a comparable alternative that's cheaper. I want something with good colour reproduction (i.e. a VA or IPS panel) and G-Sync.

I'm in a predicament. I really want something bigger than 23", I want 1440p and 144hz refresh, and I want Gsync AND a panel with good colours but low ghosting and latency.

Such a panel barely exists, and sure as hell doesn't exist anywhere near my current budget. :/
You should read your post again. It's not even funny.

It totally is funny. And also true.

Heavy use of cutscenes are the best tool of a story-telling developer who can't figure out how to tell a story in an actual game.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Heavy use of cutscenes are the best tool of a story-telling developer who can't figure out how to tell a story in an actual game.

Not really, videogames can have more than one approach and do just fine telling their story. There are moments where a game's direction can go overboard, but I'd rather see things than just hear them. Metal Gear has always walked that line, but that's one of the hallmarks of the series. MGSV sees this toned way down and it suffers a lot as a result. There's no "one size fits all" solution, unfortunately.

On the subject of MGSV... I feel lost when it comes to using Quiet. She never has her bond raised even after S-ranking story missions, sometimes she'll never move from an outpost and I don't appear to have commands to issue orders to her, and in the most recent case, she disappeared from the battlefield completely, leaving me without a buddy for the mission. Ocelot did mention something about how useful she'd be assuming she follows orders, but I can't imagine this behavior is intentional.

Audio logs are a blight on video games. They only barely works in MGS5 because of the huge travelling/setup downtime you can have, but even then it's a clunky mess that would be better off gone. For every other game, especially action ones, it becomes a game of "how far away can I travel before it turns off," or "how much action can I have before I can't hear the logs anymore." Terrible in all cases.

Edit
On the subject of MGSV... I feel lost when it comes to using Quiet. She never has her bond raised even after S-ranking story missions, sometimes she'll never move from an outpost and I don't appear to have commands to issue orders to her, and in the most recent case, she disappeared from the battlefield completely, leaving me without a buddy for the mission. Ocelot did mention something about how useful she'd be assuming she follows orders, but I can't imagine this behavior is intentional.

Bond raises by issuing commands/using. Quiet's issue is that she needs time to get in position before she's active, and she'll need to travel to other spots to keep up with you, or to avoid heavy counterfire. Enter the buddy menu to order her to go to / attack from specific vantage points to help alleviate some of her problems, and always remember to order her to fire when you want her to (otherwise she'll only fire on enemies aware of you). And, yeah, she disappears which I think is a bug. Once you actually get her firing on things your bond level will raise very quickly.

Dr Dogg

You heathens haven't played Snatcher! Actually I saw a copy of Policenauts for £15 including postage the other week so may have to give that Kojima 'masterpiece' a spin.

I think you build you bond with your buddies just by having them present as under the upgrades menus you can see certain items require a certain bond level in a numeric value and that will slowly increase even mucking about doing Side Ops. Regards to Quiet you need to go into the iDroid and under Buddy Support issue you her to either Support or Attack and then select a location. So if she's disappeared just move her to a different location. She a bit different than the others and not as autonomous as say D Dog (who's my fav Buddy)

Hinomura

Speaking about monitors... since mine is on the verge of death (a prehistoric Dell) I'm looking forward to have more solid news about the Asus PG279Q... I hope it'll release soon.

Jawmuncher

Not really, videogames can have more than one approach and do just fine telling their story. There are moments where a game's direction can go overboard, but I'd rather see things than just hear them. Metal Gear has always walked that line, but that's one of the hallmarks of the series. MGSV sees this toned way down and it suffers a lot as a result. There's no "one size fits all" solution, unfortunately.

If you missed it you have to control her though buddy support. Press start and you'll see it in the missions tab. Then you can tell her to scout the area. Or position her in a attack area. Then using LB and telling her to kill will work. I was confused at first but now she's pretty good.

Messiah

To issue orders (rather a sniping point) to her look at the map and press down or up on the digipad.

I just used the talk to Quiet command regularly to raise the bond. At least that's what I think it does.

Jawmuncher

To issue orders (rather a sniping point) to her look at the map and press down or up on the digipad.

I just used the talk to Quiet command regularly to raise the bond. At least that's what I think it does.

Well shit didn't know that, saves time.

Oh yeah, and Quiet will target soldiers you're looking at if she can. It helps for precision snipes.

The 'Quiet' command stops her from counterattacking at enemies, FYI.

Dr Dogg

Well shit didn't know that, saves time.

Hahaha I know. until I realised that you can do more than just place markers on the map and that you actually have a quite comprehensive quick select menu for everything you need the map for (helicopter evacs, supply drops even removing all markers) I was bumbling through menus. No idea why the game does outright tell you as it really speeds things up.

Knurek

All the bosses test you on you competency of the games mechanics right up to the final encounter where you need to have got everything down pat.

Yeah, of course.
Still, not something one should try to beat at 1 am, after a hard week at work to boot.

Volimar

Do you keep all your old avatars Jase?

Killing Floor 2 is not bad, I have to say.

The only thing that bothers me though is whenever a round is over, the game will just hang when it tries to switch to the next map. Happening every time. =\

I like it, though I'm not so great at it. Gives L4D flashbacks.

KPJZKC

Has anybody else received any Steam Account CD Query e-mails? I've never seen any before, and now I've gotten two in the last month.

(have not stolen any keys nor purchased any from disreputable vendors. Would be nice if the e-mail included which Key/Product was being queried!)

dex3108

Today i took this screenshot in Mad Max and it looked familiar.

Then i remembered

And then it hit me. Max Payne lost his
family (wife and daughter)
, Mad Max lost his
. Max Payne wandered around to fix his issues, Mad Max wandered around to fix his issues. Max Payne 3 ending scene is
in tropical place near ocean/see
, Mad Max is set on former
sea bed
. Could it be? Mad Max is Max Payne in alternate universe? Mad Max is Max Payne? XD

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Has anybody else received any Steam Account CD Query e-mails? I've never seen any before, and now I've gotten two in the last month.

(have not stolen any keys nor purchased any from disreputable vendors. Would be nice if the e-mail included which Key/Product was being queried!)

Did you get the free Lucius key? I got some too, and the first key I tried was a dupe, but reloading the page got me a working one.

Hektor

, Mad Max lost his
. Max Payne wandered around to fix his issues, Mad Max wandered around to fix his issues. Max Payne 3 ending scene is
sea bed
. Could it be? Mad Max is Max Payne in alternate universe? Mad Max is Max Payne? XD

I think you're onto something.

Thinking of that, that girl in LiS is called max too. Is it maybe Max Payne in his teenage years, before he had a genderchange operation?

Momentary

Banned
Today i took this screenshot in Mad Max and it looked familiar.

Then i remembered

, Mad Max lost his
sea bed

Mad Max was around long before anyone ever thought of Max Payne. It's weird that they changed him from having a son, named Sprog, to having a daughter. Don't know what the deal was with that. Was it something they changed in the new movie/game or was it before that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom