• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
let just hope its not as broke as Dark Souls port

Here we go again...
Remind me of how the Dark Souls port broke into your home, killed your pets, slapped your children, etc.

please giff 60 fps, vsync toggle and arbitrary resolution capcops ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

If it's like the DMC4 ports that use MT Framework, I think you're probably in luck.

It's a MT Framework game, so it will not have a framerate lock or resolution lock, and it will run smooth as hell even on a toaster.

Yeah, most likely.

I wanna know how good Keyboard and mouse is though.

EDIT: Then again it's Capcom PC ports, and if RE5 is to go by the Mouse and Keyboard controls will probably be great.

As good as a game designed for consoles can be on a keyboard, I'd assume?

Well MT Framework is a weird beast and only recognises very specific resolutions (I've never got 3200x1800 show up in a MTF game ever) and is caped at 120fps which might be a 'blow' for those with odd resolution or 144hz displays but hey mustn't grumble.

And here we go again... ;)

Never played Dragon's Dogma, but it looks nice on screenshots. Is it as good as it looks?

By all accounts, it was one of the best games of the last generation; it was just rife with technical issues because it pushed the consoles too hard. The only thing I know for sure is that Dragon's Dogma is what DMC4 team did after DMC4 (and thus partly why DMC franchise went in the direction it did).

And wasn't that technically a Ubisoft port?

Ubi used to do ports for other large publishers? Weird.

Sarcasm

I own DD on PS3 but haven't played it more than 20m.

Something put me off. Think something about having to be careful about not missing some areas and so on.

MUnited83

For you.
it was one of those late-gen games that looked great but ran like shit and looked soft, along with black bars and everything

it was the poster child of PLEASE PUT THIS ON PC FOR FUCKS SAKE so i'm super happy to give it a real go when it comes to PC

Yeeep. I loved the game, and I do have some tolerance for low framerates, but Dragon's Dogma was a bit of a mess with the very irregular framerate, black bars and sub-HD resolution (not even fucking 720p). Looked horribly blurry on my TV.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Here's my read on Capcom: Regardless of their cash situation, they clearly cannot compete in the full budget next-gen arena. So far they've announced three major projects for next generation: 1) Dead Rising 3: Needed to be saved by Microsoft to launch. 2) Street Fighter V: Needed to be helped by Sony to launch. 3) Deep Down: In apparent development hell, proving that their next-gen engine (which incidentally hasn't been used for anything else) is junk. Was F2P. Also needed Sony's help to launch. Conspicuously absent at this point is their other marquee franchise, Resident Evil. Monster Hunter healthy but unclear what ongoing platform strategy will be. Almost no new titles launched in last two years. Smaller IP like Mega Man are totally dead. Ace Attorney only being sporadically released in the west, AA5 was digital only.

On the other hand, you have quite the legacy portfolio and every remake, remaster, upscale, and collection you launch is profitable.

You see other publishers. Since last gen, Majesco, THQ, Atari, and Midway are dead. Koei and Tecmo merged. Namco and Bandai merged. Atlus bought out. Konami showing clear signs of leaving the market. But wait, here's Sega, a publisher of roughly comparable status to you. What are they doing? Oh, that's neat, they've basically left the packaged retail market and they're focusing on low-cost high-margin remakes, remasters, upscales, and collections.

What are the advantages? Well, for one, you create a passive income stream. Even if your company fires everyone and stops making games, your core management and shareholders are still making money just as an IP clearinghouse. For two, they're low risk. For three, you mostly outsource these ports so your payroll burn rate on them is pretty low. And which platform is the absolute best for long-tail sales and passive income? PC, of course, because of backwards compatibility, ease of dev, and lots of sales/promotion opportunities.

You see other Japanese publishers entering the PC space, and all of them report that they make tons of profit again on low-cost high-margin ports. And if you're working behind the scenes and have contact with other publishers, you know there's a ton of stuff in the pipeline along those lines too.

In this particular case, it also raises brand awareness in case they want to try to localize the Dragon's Dogma MMO. I wouldn't if I were them, but it's an option.

Salsa

Here's my read on Capcom: Regardless of their cash situation, they clearly cannot compete in the full budget next-gen arena. So far they've announced three major projects for next generation: 1) Dead Rising 3: Needed to be saved by Microsoft to launch. 2) Street Fighter V: Needed to be helped by Sony to launch. 3) Deep Down: In apparent development hell, proving that their next-gen engine (which incidentally hasn't been used for anything else) is junk. Was F2P. Also needed Sony's help to launch. Conspicuously absent at this point is their other marquee franchise, Resident Evil. Monster Hunter healthy but unclear what ongoing platform strategy will be. Almost no new titles launched in last two years. Smaller IP like Mega Man are totally dead. Ace Attorney only being sporadically released in the west, AA5 was digital only.

On the other hand, you have quite the legacy portfolio and every remake, remaster, upscale, and collection you launch is profitable.

You see other publishers. Since last gen, Majesco, THQ, Atari, and Midway are dead. Koei and Tecmo merged. Namco and Bandai merged. Atlus bought out. Konami showing clear signs of leaving the market. But wait, here's Sega, a publisher of roughly comparable status to you. What are they doing? Oh, that's neat, they've basically left the packaged retail market and they're focusing on low-cost high-margin remakes, remasters, upscales, and collections.

What are the advantages? Well, for one, you create a passive income stream. Even if your company fires everyone and stops making games, your core management and shareholders are still making money just as an IP clearinghouse. For two, they're low risk. For three, you mostly outsource these ports so your payroll burn rate on them is pretty low. And which platform is the absolute best for long-tail sales and passive income? PC, of course, because of backwards compatibility, ease of dev, and lots of sales/promotion opportunities.

You see other Japanese publishers entering the PC space, and all of them report that they make tons of profit again on low-cost high-margin ports. And if you're working behind the scenes and have contact with other publishers, you know there's a ton of stuff in the pipeline along those lines too.

In this particular case, it also raises brand awareness in case they want to try to localize the Dragon's Dogma MMO. I wouldn't if I were them, but it's an option.

I once predicted Sega merging with Capcom by around this time on a GAF thread

without looking that much into it im weirdly surprised something like that hasnt happened

I've heard bad things about the DMC3 port.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/6550/discussions/0/864973577797647959/

I've never actually messed with it, but based on what I'm reading it sounds like the standard bullshit people complain about.
This is a case where the resolution complaints seem valid, but unless Capcom brings over the HD collection, it sounds like it's perfectly serviceable with some community fixes.

For the record, I reserve "bad port" for games that have tons of technical issues (CTD, BSoD, game breaking bugs that were introduced somewhere in the porting process, unstable framerate with slowdown due to poor programming, etc.).

MattyG

Banned
Quick questions; I have a 970 and I'm going to downsample Mad Max to get rid of the shimmering aliasing (it's bad even with x8 MSAA). How exactly do I downsample from 1440p to my 1080 monitor through the Nvidia control panel, and do I turn all other forms of AA off when I do that?

Dr Dogg

The thought of Dragon's Dogma at a high frame rate has me foaming at the mouth. Christ having it at a consistent 30, not constantly tearing and full display hight it a fucking plus.

Also I'm completely cool with Capcom being this middle of the road dev/pub theses days at they have one hell of a back catalogue. They fill a really nice gap in the middle of the market that hopefully enough projects like these help them fund the newer titles like Revelations 2 and Remake 2. Seems a lot more sustainable than what most publisher gamble with these days.

And here we go again... ;)

Hey who has a 3200x1800 display? Hmmmm.

Salsa

I feel strangely compelled to buy RE:velations 2 for $15 on nuuvem now but that's on base price and I feel sale coming

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Great write-up, I appreciate the insight into the topic :D

Knurek

I just hope... in all the hype that Capcom tweet generated... that Dragon's Dogma is a better game than Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was.
Not by much, KoA:R is great by itself, but if DD:DA is better... Damn...

Truth be told. I only ever got to play a little of the demo of the original Dragon's Dogma.

I had PS+ at one point when Dark Arisen was on there and I started the download but didn't finish it so I stopped, thinking it would be in my download lists later.

Guess what? It wasn't.

So yeah this is a port Ill probably get because I was still curious to play it.
bought a new mouse

i have such trouble adapting for these things, my hand feels all weird

You will get used to it Zky.

But you can only go so long milking your franchises before you've gone to the well one too many times.

It's interesting, they're definitely going for lower-risk projects these days like releasing RER2 as an episodic game and greenlighting the RE2make, which i imagine is going to be building a lot off of the same tech and project planning used with REmake and RE0.

I guess when Sony/MS comes out as co-producers on the next numbered RE game we can put it to rest that Capcom doesn't want to play in the big leagues unless they have a ringer with them

derExperte

Truth be told. I only ever got to play a little of the demo of the original Dragon's Dogma.

I had PS+ at one point when Dark Arisen was on there and I started the download but didn't finish it so I stopped, thinking it would be in my download lists later.

Guess what? It wasn't.

You could've restarted the download from the shop or something. It's in there somewhere, navigating old stuff on PSN is a bitch. But in the end it was good that you skipped it, framerate (plus black bars) was horrendous.

The thought of Dragon's Dogma at a high frame rate has me foaming at the mouth. Christ having it at a consistent 30, not constantly tearing and full display hight it a fucking plus.

Also I'm completely cool with Capcom being this middle of the road dev/pub theses days at they have one hell of a back catalogue. They fill a really nice gap in the middle of the market that hopefully enough projects like these help them fund the newer titles like Revelations 2 and Remake 2. Seems a lot more sustainable than what most publisher gamble with these days.

Hey who has a 3200x1800 display? Hmmmm.

I'm with you on the Capcom praise...
I think the only thing in recent years they did that provoked my wrath was the handling of UMvC3.

And no, I don't have that display resolution. My display -- from what I can tell -- is 2880x1800 and that's not where I do my gaming. :p

You could've restarted the download from the shop or something. It's in there somewhere, navigating old stuff on PSN is a bitch. Not that you missed anything, framerate was horrendous.

PSDLE and your web browser. It's amazeballs.
Not sure if it works in FF though.

You could've restarted the download from the shop or something. It's in there somewhere, navigating old stuff on PSN is a bitch. Not that you missed anything, framerate was horrendous.

That's the thing. I tried looking for the page and couldn't find it for some odd reason back then, don't know why. Yeah I heard the framerate didn't get much better in Dark Arisen so yeah.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Also in Capcom news, here's their Tokyo Game Show lineup:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/tgs/index.html#booth

Monster Hunter Spirits is a low end arcade game, and the last thing is apparently a promotion with an Airsoft gun range in Japan.

In terms of ports/remakes/remasters/updates:
Monster Hunter X: This is an update to Monster Hunter 4G
Biohazard 0: HD port/remaster/whatever
Pokapoka Airou Mura: duckroll tells me this is an enhanced port or update to a PSP spinoff of Monster Hunter

So in terms of original titles...
Street Fighter V: Only launching with Sony's help
Monster Hunter Stories: duckroll describes this as a pokemon clone directed by the Director of Lost Planet 1/2, so I think that tells you about how much faith Capcom has in Lost Planet's continual survival as an IP.
Ace Attorney 6: Ace Attorney 5 didn't even get a retail release in the west, and the last Ace Attorney game didn't get localized at all. AA6 is going to be localized, but probably DD only.

Capcom: They're like Sega, only without a successful mobile division!

Vanquish is higher than DD for me

just below RDR

Vanquish and Bayonetta would be higher than DD:DA for me... but baby steps. Hopefully SEGA will decide it's worthwhile to port them both.
Taking out all those scrapheads in BD made me pine for Vanquish on PC (and hope that I could shake off all the rust and finally take out tactical challenge 6).

L.O.R.D

just saw that Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Comes to PC
yesss

also

SegataSanshiroSaturn.jpg

Segata is going to be playable in project x zone 2 for 3DS

200_s.gif

Backlogger

Just got back from a 4 day trip/vacation with limited access to GAF and gaming. I haven't been able to play Mad Max in about 5 days and barely had time to check out the Arkham Knight patch (which somehow seemed worse, but when the 60 FPS was stable it looked amazing!)

Thinking about building a Daedalic bundle over at Humble to grab Memoria and Chains of Satinov and a couple other things but I feel like I have blown way too much money on video games the last 6 weeks or so.

I also realized on this trip that I need to think about getting a new gaming laptop. Not a super expensive one, but my current laptop was having trouble with Rocket League which was surprising to me. Had to turn the graphics way down to get a stable frame rate of 30-45.

Dragon's Dogma looks awesome, I have always been interested in that series but never actually played any of them. More games on PC is never a bad thing!

Jawmuncher

I'm pretty sure we're going to see RE7 this year at TGS, though it might honestly be a console exclusive (with a PC port) considering all the stuff you have said stump. Then again that is their biggest franchise in the west, so I really wonder if they would divide it.

Dsyndrome

But you can only go so long milking your franchises before you've gone to the well one too many times.
They've got a few more tricks they can pull and still get a profit. DMC HD Collection, Mega Man Legends 1, 2, and Tron Bonne, Dead Rising 1, Breath of Fire Remake... that could keep them going for a bit.

zkylon

zkylewd
You will get used to it Zky.
yeah, with time

maybe

i wish it had buttons on the side for league but i dunno

i wonder how expensive the second expansion is gonna be

like if the season pass is $25 and first dlc is $9 then second dlc should be like 20 at the least?

i feel like i'd rather just pay 5 dollars more and pay it like in a bunch of months then

really weird

Vanquish and Bayonetta would be higher than DD:DA for me... but baby steps. Hopefully SEGA will decide it's worthwhile to port them both.
Taking out all those scrapheads in BD made me pine for Vanquish on PC (and hope that I could shake off all the rust and finally take out tactical challenge 6).
i think most of all bayonetta i want to see ported over

cos like, i like vanquish, but it's already fantastic on console, while bayonetta is kind of unplayable on ps3

tho just do both

and dragon's dogma

and nier!

everythingggggggggg

Dr Dogg

I'm with you on the Capcom praise...
I think the only thing in recent years they did that provoked my wrath was the handling of UMvC3.

And no, I don't have that display resolution. My display -- from what I can tell -- is 2880x1800 and that's not where I do my gaming. :p

Actually I don't think you can do this on new Mac/Macbooks but on the 2007-2011 iMacs you could set them in target display mode and use them as a monitor with anything. I think now it's only Apple products.

RPGs over action games, corrosivefrost. One day you'll learn.

When I was young, sure.
These days? Not a chance.
I'm having a hard time remembering the last RPG I actually put any time into at this point; at least the last turn based (J)RPG. I guess FFXIII, if that counts, since the battles there are menu driven (but certainly not in the traditional sense).

They've got a few more tricks they can pull and still get a profit. DMC HD Collection, Mega Man Legends 1, 2, and Tron Bonne, Dead Rising 1, Breath of Fire Remake... that could keep them going for a bit.

Anything in the MM franchise outside of the original games or the X series (and Powered Up, by extension), I don't really care about... but yes, give us the original DR on PC, the Megaman X collection, MM9/10, and bring over those glorious fighting game remasters from the last gen: 3S, Darkstalkers, MvC Collection, MvC2, SFIITHDR.

i think most of all bayonetta i want to see ported over

cos like, i like vanquish, but it's already fantastic on console, while bayonetta is kind of unplayable on ps3

tho just do both

Having spent a lot of time with both versions of Bayonetta (and gotten the platinum trophy on PS3), both versions have a bunch of slowdown and tearing issues -- the worst of the PS3 version stuff (after all the patches) was evident on the infinite climax difficulty... about halfway through, I couldn't not feel the sluggishness caused by the unstable framerate, so I finished up the platinum and sold it rather than keeping it for future playthroughs... (though I think I did cave and support it again when it went on sale for PS3 digitally).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom