• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Hood

Banned
What's the GAF consensus regarding Apotheon? It's currently €3,49 on the Humble Store and the visual art looks absolutely gorgeous. Based on that alone, I'd think it's worth the money. But I'm hoping it actually plays as well as it looks.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I didn't really mean "suck" in terms of balance, ore in terms of being fun to play.
Magic in Demon's Souls is unbalanced. You can easily cheese your way through most of the goons. Tower Knight becomes really easy as well.
And that's...fine. I still prefer sword & shields, especially shields, but in a game this challenging a hidden way too make some things a bit easier can be welcome.

But your right, the main issue with magic in Demon's Souls is that it's boring. I don't know why, but it's just...uninteresting. Wonder why.
I didn't like it in the other Souls games either, but it was at it's worst in Demon's Souls.

I really enjoyed Miracles and in later games Pyromancy, though.
ain't that the truth

steam is now plain refusing to accept my screenshots

i have a really good one of glitched triss with her head caught on fire that i want to upload
I noticed. Your rather large deposit of screenshots is actually one of the main reasons why I started playing. And man, i'm glad I did.
I haven't seen any glitches yet, beside some dancing decipated legs. A shame, really.

I'm feeling stupid playing MGSV, I'm on mission 9-10 and I have developed only 1 new weapon, I don't have enough levels to research other stuff, I guess I'm doing something wrong

tumblr_n5l71xkypl1rm811vo1_500.gif

MGS4 is over ... finally ...i can drop the controller

I AM FREE FROM THIS MEME , I AM FREE SURPRISE BUTTON PROMPT
I AM FREE...TO SHUT DOWN MY PS3...ONE...LAST ...TIME

Old-Snake-Salute-300x168.jpg
Burning my MGS4 copy alive was a great liberating feeling

Chariot

I'm feeling stupid playing MGSV, I'm on mission 9-10 and I have developed only 1 new weapon, I don't have enough levels to research other stuff, I guess I'm doing something wrong
Fulton the shit out of everybody. You see a tought soldier? Fulton him. You see someone who holds a gun? You see someone who breaths? Fulton him! You see someone who walks on four legs and tries to bite you in the neck? Fulton him!

FloatOn

Magic in Demon's Souls is unbalanced. You can easily cheese your way through most of the goons. Tower Knight becomes really easy as well.
And that's...fine. I still prefer sword & shields, especially shields, but in a game this challenging a hidden way too make some things a bit easier can be welcome.

But your right, the main issue with magic in Demon's Souls is that it's boring. I don't know why, but it's just...uninteresting. Wonder why.
I didn't like it in the other Souls games either, but it was at it's worst in Demon's Souls.

There were some pretty interesting spells in Dark Souls 2 though. Soul Greatsword for example.

I did. Only for 30 hours or so, not the hundreds I put into the Dark SOuls games, but I did.

Frankly, magic sucked in Demon's compared to Dark 1/2.

It wasn't as balanced -- and I never used it for more than support -- but there was something pretty awesome about being able to drop King Allant using poison mist. :3

I remember a lot of what I used was the homeward miracle and other faith based buffs though... the straight up magic wasn't my jam in that game; but then again, I've never been a huge dedicated magic user in the Souls games.

i kind of feel like magic has always sucked in all the souls games (duno about bloodborne, haven't played that or know if it has magic)

like, some stuff is fine but you have like a billion versions of the same spell and lots of way to deal dmg without it feeling markedly different? like u have a nova attack, magic missile, homing thing, but nothing feels super distinct or special

some spells are really cool tho, i really like force and power within and iron flesh as things that change gameplay quite a bit

First, we've covered this, but Bloodborne is not a Souls game.
Secondly, since Bloodborne is not a Souls game, you should not find it surprising that there isn't really magic, just some "artifacts" that have special abilities if you make your "arcane" stat high enough to use them and want to spend the ammunition on them. (For example, there's a item that sort of acts like an ooze item from the Souls games and imbues your right hand weapon with "magic" damage.)

But there is no INT, there is no FTH, there's no ATN or spell slots or anything of that nature other than the arcane stat which lets you use relics with special properties.

I think, if you want to see my initial "messing around" with the arcane items, I do it here:
https://youtu.be/BMhNTd4pYBU?t=3781

I noticed. Your rather large deposit of screenshots is actually one of the main reasons why I started playing. And man, i'm glad I did.
I haven't seen any glitches yet, beside some dancing decipated legs. A shame, really.

"Boring" is subjective, you realize?
And yes, cheesing things was kind of awesome - as I said above, nothing quite as funny as taking out Old King Allant using clouds of poison mist.

Fulton the shit out of everybody. You see a tought soldier? Fulton him. You see someone who holds a gun? You see someone who breaths? Fulton him! You see someone who walks on four legs and tries to bite you in the neck? Fulton him!

After I upgraded the binoculars I was trying to fulton only C+ ranks, but I guess it's a good advice if I want to level up those teams

zkylon

zkylewd
Magic items. Do those count? :V
u tell me

I feel like combat in souls games sucks
Or well, it's not that it sucks, I just don't find it all that fun. I still respect the hell out of the games, and still play them because I love the world building, the architecture, the armour designs, etcetera.

I mean, I do find it fun every now and then, but it tends to kind of exhaust me after a little while.
i guess there's a bit to be said for that, but actually i'd put it more on the player than the game. like, if u only play with ur shield up and a ton of armor or just pew pew with magic it's probably not gonna be that interesting but start coming up with new stuff and changing weapons and builds and it's just super rewarding to try new stuff out and see it work somehow

it's one of the reasons i like dks2 as much as i do, soul vessels, bonfire ascetics and the abundance of upgrade items really lets u experiment a ton

and i'd say the core gameplay is pretty solid, weapons are satisfying to wield, enemies are simple but are always presented in a bit of a different scenario, so there's variety there, and a lot of boss fights are really good. and the controls are super snappy, i really like that

i've seen a ton of glitches, thankfully most of them funny

i love that shit

MUnited83

For you.
They have the gall to charge $5 for some cross promotional crap? Every other game that has added Chivalry stuff has done it for free just for owning Chivalry.

Well, in those cases it was just skins, no? If I understand correctly this includes an entirely new heist that is Chivalry-themed.

Jawmuncher

I was so stingy with making new weapons in MGSV I actually maxed out the GMP counter.
It's 5 million if anyone wanted to know.

Well, in those cases it was just skins, no? If I understand correctly this includes an entirely new heist that is Chivalry-themed.

It's like every other payday2 thing where it costs money to get the weapons/masks and be eligible for the achievements, but you can play the heists so long as the host has it. Sometimes these updates come with free content (I think there was 2 masks or so for the HM crossover).

As far as the other things go, yeah, it's mostly skins -- in the case of KF2, it's a weapon, but it's probably something they did because people wanted the claymore from KF back and doing a zwei as a crossover with a free "character" seemed logical, especially since it's currently in early access and I can't imagine any dev in early access doing paid DLC...

milena87

What's the GAF consensus regarding Apotheon? It's currently €3,49 on the Humble Store and the visual art looks absolutely gorgeous. Based on that alone, I'd think it's worth the money. But I'm hoping it actually plays as well as it looks.

It's a good game, but it certainly looks better than it plays. Not that it's unplayable of course, it's just that sometimes your character isn't exactly super responsive and it takes a while to get used to the way it moves and to the way the enemies attack you.
However, I played with kb+m, maybe it's much better with a controller.

The weapons also decay at an incredible rate, some (the best) don't even last 15 strikes. It's annoying of course, but the game throws a lot of weapons at you. So, yes, you might not be able to use your favourite weapons all the time, but you'll always have plenty of things to fight with.

All in all, I'd recommend it for 3,49€. The visuals are great and the game doesn't really get repetitive, as the boss fights and their respective areas are very different and unique.
I put 14 hours in it, playing at the highest difficulty available and getting all achievements. Main story and some side content should be below 10 hours.

Knurek

Played the demo for that Picross game - it's pretty great, working just fine with a controller.
Not sure how larger frame sizes are handled, but I'm sure as hell getting it day one.

The number of puzzles available, 150, seems a tad low. Workshop support or puzzle importer would be amazing. Imagine having all of Nintendo's puzzles on Steam.

Gods, I think I'll get in touch with the dev if he has plans on making a colorcross game as well. That would be simply amazing. Total sploosh.

chronomac

Played the demo for that Picross game - it's pretty great, working just fine with a controller.
Not sure how larger frame sizes are handled, but I'm sure as hell getting it day one.

The number of puzzles available, 150, seems a tad low. Workshop support or puzzle importer would be amazing. Imagine having all of Nintendo's puzzles on Steam.

Gods, I think I'll get in touch with the dev if he has plans on making a colorcross game as well. That would be simply amazing. Total sploosh.

Well it's a mobile port but at least it was ported well. Picross DS is among my favorite games so I'll look into this for sure.

szaromir

Banned
Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits just came up on the radio I'm listening to and I've felt the urge to play the first Brothers in Arms game but it turns out it's not available on any of the digital stores (nor is the second one). Any ideas why?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So much praise for Dragon's Dogma a few pages back. Looks like I'll have to get it eventually.

A Picross game on Steam? Where do I sign?

Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits just came up on the radio I'm listening to and I've felt the urge to play the first Brothers in Arms game but it turns out it's not available on any of the digital stores (nor is the second one). Any ideas why?
They are on Steam.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
"Boring" is subjective, you realize?
And yes, cheesing things was kind of awesome - as I said above, nothing quite as funny as taking out Old King Allant using clouds of poison mist.
Well, yeah. Ofcourse. "Fun", "boring" and other terms like that alway's are. But I don't have to make that clear in every post, do I?

That sounds a bit more mean then I want to, but I don't know how else to say it.
I didn't like it. However, I love using the Bow & Arrow against everything. Even through foggates. :p

Teggy

Does anyone have Gsync monitor? I just set mine up and I'm not seeing gsync as an option in the vertical sync menu. Did they change the way this works?

L.O.R.D

Did you like it?

somehow , yes
but it was not entertaining as MGS2
the very very long cut-scenes ruined it for me
the bosses is this game are also...not very original

playing this game , made me wish to replay MGS2 again
that game was awesome
i liked the story of raiden more then snake
the story of raiden was more believable

I should replay Demon's one day, still my favorite.
Went with magic for my first run and had 10 times more fun with a physical build on my subsequent runs. Also felt that overall it was easier that way. Same with Dark, actually.

I should replay Demon's one day, still my favorite.
Went with magic for my first run and had 10 times more fun with a physical build on my subsequent runs. Also felt that overall it was easier that way. Same with Dark, actually.

It could really use a nice bump to 1080/60 but unfortunately that'll only happen on the PS4.

I'll still double dip if it happens though. I really loved DS1 but your first is always your favorite

It could really use a nice bump to 1080/60 but unfortunately that'll only happen on the PS4.

I'll still double dip if it happens though. I really loved DS1 but your first is always your favorite

Now that's a remaster I could get behind.
God, just thinking about it...
Maybe Shu will answer our prayers, he's a Souls fanatic afterall.

Does anyone have Gsync monitor? I just set mine up and I'm not seeing gsync as an option in the vertical sync menu. Did they change the way this works?

go to the NVidia control panel and under display there should be a GSync option

click the Enable GSync box and it will work automatically no matter what game you're running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom