• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Maybe there will be price adjustments after GTX1080Ti, but Taiwanese retailers are very stingy.

Well, that'll still give you some extra weeks to save, anyway, as the Gears 4 promotion seemingly confirms that it won't be launching before November.

Tizoc

Eh call me an NVidia fanboy, but personally I'd always go for an NVidia GFX card over an AMD one mainly as I've become accustomed to NVidia. Plus in my experience I've found NVidia video cards to be more well supported than AMD.

derExperte

I thought we're boycotting Nintendo because they fired someone. Now we're boycotting Oculus because they didn't. It's getting harder and harder to keep up with this stuff, need a flowchart soon.

Yeah, don't pay some swindler 10 dolla for a checkout attempt.

Read about the glitch being fixed and panicked. Someone gotta direct me to a place where those shady dealings are talked about a tad earlier than on GAF.

Eh call me an NVidia fanboy, but personally I'd always go for an NVidia GFX card over an AMD one mainly as I've become accustomed to NVidia. Plus in my experience I've found NVidia video cards to be more well supported than AMD.

Nvidia's driver have had so many issues lately. And their older cards are quickly forgotten.

Kaleinc

Banned
I thought we're boycotting Nintendo because they fired someone. Now we're boycotting Oculus because they didn't. It's getting harder and harder to keep up with this stuff, need a flowchart soon.
8uuyFq0.jpg

yuraya

WTH is this Paladins game and why are like 30k people playing it right now? >_>

Those are some really good #s for an early access game.

Did they really? Don't see people doing much boycotting for Nintendo lately. Thought that fizzled out real fast.

Jadax

WTH is this Paladins game and why are like 30k people playing it right now? >_>

Those are some really good #s for an early access game.

It's basically overwatch - without the $60 purchase needed. By the guys who made Smite (which seems to have a decent mid-sized following).

Virginia is basically a 2-3 hour long cutscene where you have control of your character, but no real agency (though there are a few optional and actually tricky puzzles to do in the achievements that involve you sort of reading the achievement descriptions and trying to figure them out, many span over multiple chapters even). There is no choices, the story is linear, and you in the end have to do what the game wants you to do to progress.

So like every Telltale episode since the Walking Dead but at twice the price and lower production values?

Ohio is for lov---.

I can't finish that. Fuck Ohio.

So Ohio is for fuckers?

Well, Oculus can fuck off.

So....
un0t7s3.jpg

Yeah that's fraud. I'll stay far away from that Thank You Very Much.

Well they didn't revoke 1$ RotTR keys from New Egg.

That was a pricing error (just like Ashes, Far Cry Primal, and The Division from Newegg). That's on the retailer. What people are doing for Gears is fraud. Depending on what state you live in, you could see jail time.

This isn't taking advantage of a genuine pricing error this is verging on credit card fraud.

No because you aren't trying to screw over a bank. The retailer priced a $50 for $1, you paid them that buck. As far as the banks are concern, that's a legal purchase. Might be morally vague but it isn't illegal. It isn't like the retail asked for $50 and you only gave them $1. Buying a $500 item with a fake credit card number, even if you aren't intending to get the item, just the bonus offer is fraud.

I'm entertaining the idea of upgrading my home PC. Which is better? GTX1060 or RX480?

It isn't an easy choice. I'm like right there. Disagreeing with others, I think going for a 1070 or 1080 is kinda unwise. This generation is a half step. While amazing power jump, when DX12 really starts to jump, both companies will have much more advance chipsets by late 2017/18. Nvidia has Volta and AMD has Vega. The 1070 and 1080, while amazing DX11 cards really aren't future proofing anything. Come fall 2017, they won't be able to keep up any better than the GTX 1060 / RX 480.

If you are upgrading to play the games released over the next 12 months and the back catalog of DX 11 games, then the GTX 1060 is your best bet. Low power draw, as fast as a 980 in most games. If you want to be able to take full advantage of the few DX12 games already released and those released until next fall and still play DX11 games reasonably, the RX480 might be your best bet.

No mater what you pick, you will be wanting to replace it within the next 24 months. Spending extra and holding on to a card for 4-5 years isn't going to work out this time. now if you regularly spend $500 or more on a video card every two years, ignore what I said and get a 1070.

Personally I'm leaning towards the 1060. I'm even thinking about the 3gb version. Yeah I know my current card, Radeon 7950, has 3gb and the lack of memory in a few titles is making me want to upgrade. its just I don't see many titles being that disadvantage over the next 12 months and at $200 and less, its not that big of an investment that it will hurt to replace it sooner than later. Also the 1060 3gb is cut down in power from the 1060 6gb, its still more than twice the speed of my current card in all games.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So like every Telltale episode since the Walking Dead but at twice the price and lower production values?

Actually, not at all. TellTale in this case is actually a bad comparison, as Virginia has absolutely no dialogue for one thing, while TellTale games are dialogue heavy. In TellTale games, 'interactive cutscenes' mean QTEs and dialogue choice options most of the time, but Virginia has neither of those. Virginia is also in first-person, not third-person.

Also Virginia has a lot more environments than a TellTale game, a typical TellTale episode will have two locations that everything else is centered around, to lower budget and keep a story focused around that location. Virginia has over 60 locations, though none you spend more than a few minutes in. You also are focused on exploration in Virginia, and that's more akin to a walking simulator than a TellTale game.

Also Virginia might actually have better production values than a TellTale game, ran into zero glitches for one thing, but the whole game also has a gorgeous orchestrated score, they make use a lot of a lot of interesting techniques also often found in film but used in the format of games, though I won't try to say much more than that.

Just that if you're thinking it's a low budget TellTale game, you're far off the mark of what Virginia actually is.

Jawmuncher

Actually, not at all. TellTale in this case is actually a bad comparison, as Virginia has absolutely no dialogue for one thing, while TellTale games are dialogue heavy. In TellTale games, 'interactive cutscenes' mean QTEs and dialogue choice options most of the time, but Virginia has neither of those. Virginia is also in first-person, not third-person.

Also Virginia has a lot more environments than a TellTale game, a typical TellTale episode will have two locations that everything else is centered around, to lower budget and keep a story focused around that location. Virginia has over 60 locations, though none you spend more than a few minutes in. You also are focused on exploration in Virginia, and that's more akin to a walking simulator than a TellTale game.

Also Virginia might actually have better production values than a TellTale game, ran into zero glitches for one thing, but the whole game also has a gorgeous orchestrated score, they make use a lot of a lot of interesting techniques also often found in film but used in the format of games, though I won't try to say much more than that.

Just that if you're thinking it's a low budget TellTale game, you're far off the mark of what Virginia actually is.

Does it have an FPS section where I fight monsters?

def sim

Virginia is nauseating at 30, 60, or Unlimited setting. Their motion blur isn't helping.

edit: Looking at some videos of the console version, it looks like it isn't any better there. Well, I'll just power through the nausea. 😰

edit 2: slow panning is what kills me. Increasing mouse sensitivity to 100 helps a ton.

No because you aren't trying to screw over a bank. The retailer priced a $50 for $1, you paid them that buck. As far as the banks are concern, that's a legal purchase. Might be morally vague but it isn't illegal. It isn't like the retail asked for $50 and you only gave them $1. Buying a $500 item with a fake credit card number, even if you aren't intending to get the item, just the bonus offer is fraud.

That's what I said.

Tizoc

Tried out Talewind, a new 2D platformer that's out on Steam and designed in UE4 apparently
header.jpg

At max settings the game runs fine. It's not that difficult atm but it has its charm. Apparently it has 25 levels each split into 5 worlds.
There are 3 'goals' in a stage aside from completing it:
1- Complete a level as fast as possible to get a Gem piece
2- Complete a level without dieing and collecting a certain number of feathers
3- Find a hidden gem piece in the stage

Tried out Talewind, a new 2D platformer that's out on Steam and designed in UE4 apparently
header.jpg

At max settings the game runs fine. It's not that difficult atm but it has its charm. Apparently it has 25 levels each split into 5 worlds.
There are 3 'goals' in a stage aside from completing it:
1- Complete a level as fast as possible to get a Gem piece
2- Complete a level without dieing and collecting a certain number of feathers
3- Find a hidden gem piece in the stage

The artstyle looks great. Somehow I guess though that this game wont be noticed by many. I have to say there are too many great games now on Steam and more and more come out.

me0wish

I'm entertaining the idea of upgrading my home PC. Which is better? GTX1060 or RX480?

Went with 480, my first AMD card, pretty happy with it. One of the main reasons I went with AMD is the cheap but really good ultwa-wide free-sync monitors.

I am also not a big fan of the 1070, I'd rather keep my money and invest in another GPU in the future.

GAF is a great community. Checked out the GoW4 "free" code thread and saw people not to tell other people how the glitch works, because if too many people know about it, Nvidia might revoke the codes.

Perfect example of Fuck you, got mine.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Thanks for the warning.

Of course, as I've said Virginia is basically a 2-3 hour interactive cutscene, but there's no dialogue (nor do the characters make any sort of noise, neither grunts, breaths, etc., but they are emotive and end up packing a lot of personality and have more depth than most game characters due to subtle storytelling). But even the Walking Simulator comparison is a bad one, just more accurate than the TellTale one. The thing is that while it's not a very complex game, there's actually nothing else like it out there on the market. There's a few 'kind of' similar things, the closest things to compare it too would be some kind of hybrid of an FMV game and a Walking Simulator, but you're given far more control than any FMV game, but you do far less walking than any walking sim game. So basically just imagine a video game cutscene where you can move. You interact and do things along a story path, but it's not on-rails but you do go from point A to B with the agency to explore and do some additional things before that next point.

It's also worth noting the game uses something rarely used in games, which is jump-cutting. You'll be walking down a hallway, and then suddenly jumpcut, you're in another room. Or you're drinking in a bar watching a dancer, and suddenly your on top of a water tower with a beer in your hand and a drunk partner overlooking the lights and the town. It jumpcuts a LOT, but it's an important part of the game. What makes it work is that the various scenes in the game are incredibly stylish, the visual look of the game, the music, and the dialogue-less story combine to make a very interesting experience. It by nature won't be for everyone. Hell, the game pulls some things out of the book of Twin Peaks & X-Files without saying too much, which is already a required taste by itself.

But it's being reviewed well since those who find the appeal will find a lot to like here. I haven't played it, but many people have said the demo you can download from the Steam Store page is a good indicative to see if one would like it or not, know a lot of people have been sold on it from the demo. For me I was loosely following it since it was announced, and here I am still thinking about it two days after beating it.

Jadax

GAF is a great community. Checked out the GoW4 "free" code thread and saw people not to tell other people how the glitch works, because if too many people know about it, Nvidia might revoke the codes.

Yep it sucks. but it's sort of to be expected. The good news is that you can just google the glitch and see numerous reddit threads telling us how to do it - so not a big deal.

Tizoc

Would you kindly
Hook a brutha up
With a Gears of War 4 code?

Hektor

Oh, this gitch is still up? Thought it'd be already fixed by now.

If anybody can tell me how to make use of that i'd appreciate it.

madjoki

Well, considering some shitheads have stolen hundreds of codes, they might anyway.

Would you kindly
Hook a brutha up
With a Gears of War 4 code?
Oh, this gitch is still up? Thought it'd be already fixed by now.

If anybody can tell me how to make use of that i'd appreciate it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=217933601&postcount=701

(I don't encourage stealing.)

Corpekata

Banned
I'm not sure if the "Fuck you got mine" part is the only grody part of that thread.

Like, it's clearly abusing a company in the first place in a way that anyone taking advantage of it has to know they're exploiting something. So nobody that's dealing with the glitch is coming out of that conversation smelling like roses in the first place.

I'm not sure if the "Fuck you got mine" part is the only grody part of that thread.

Like, it's clearly abusing a company in the first place in a way that anyone taking advantage of it has to know they're exploiting something. So nobody that's dealing with the glitch is coming out of that conversation smelling like roses in the first place.

The thing is that a lot of console-fans always say "Shit. You buy games so cheap during steam sales", but then you could get a free AC3 if you change your xbox to chinese, and "everyone" did it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

ePLQmjL.gif

They will be revoked. Most keys for Dirt Rally did, although that mainly was for the ones that bought max amount.

I am not sure about that. The newegg 1 cent codes never got revoked.

What is sad to see though is that people feel entitled to a game they got through a bug/glitch. In the thread there are a lot of people already saying how shitty it would be if the keys get revoked....

MUnited83

For you.
They will be revoked. Most keys for Dirt Rally did, although that mainly was for the ones that bought max amount.
Dirt Rally codes werent revoked. The codes for redemption on the AMD site? Yes. But any people that managed to activate the game got to keep it.

What is sad to see though is that people feel entitled to a game they got through a bug/glitch. In the thread there are a lot of people already saying how shitty it would be if the keys get revoked....

I thought some of those codes did get revoked or something? I can swear I remember they had let people keep some but voided others. This was for Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I could be remembering the whole thing wrong though.

edit: yeah...it was the NVIDIA codes that got revoked/voided...haven't seen anyone that actually got them redeemed have any issues

Kiru

The sad thing is some people probably sold those glitched/exploited codes here on gaf or elsewhere and didn't feel bad about it. Sucks for the buyers if they get revoked. :/

I thought some of those codes did get revoked or something? I can swear I remember they had let people keep some but voided others. This was for Rise of the Tomb Raider.

The newegg codes, as long as you activated them on Geforce (or AMD dont really remember where) before they noticed werent revoked.

rtcn63

Not sure about RoTR, but The Division codes that weren't already redeemed on Uplay were made null. If you redeemed, you were good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom