• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

Seems like Valve is telling developers about new updates coming to the Steam Store, here are the details

* Home Page Visual Refresh: Mixing up how the front page appears, removing some visual clutter.

* Additional Left Column Navigation: The left navigational column will be getting new direct links to main features of the Steam Store, such as New Releases, Top Sellers, Upcoming Titles, etc.

* Friends Activity: A new section to the right of the front page will be dedicated to showing what your friends have been playing lately.

* Top Selling New Releases: A brand new section will be added for when a new release becomes a top selling game.

* Global Customer Preferences: A new feature that will allow customers to customize their Steam Store experience. Allowing them to opt to exclude certain products from being displayed, such as Videos, Early Access titles, Software, VR, etc.

* Targeted Visibility For New Releases: New changes will be made to how new releases will be targeted to the appropriate customers. The goal is to show the specific customer new releases that will most likely appeal to them.

* Targeted Visibility For Game Updates: Changes to how Update rounds will be made to be more direct to the customers who would want to see them. Customers who own the game or have it on their wishlist will be prioritized in showing the update.

* New Steam Curator Options: Noticing that people are using Steam Curator to give information on a title, without necessarily recommending it, there will be new tools that will allow a curator to make a distinction about whether or not they are recommending, not recommending or just giving information about a title. This will also allow Valve to better understand what curated posts should be highlighted on the front page.

* Curators In Main Capsule: The Main Capsule banner will be updated to include curators that the customer personally follows.

* Improved Steam Curator Presence: There will be a new section on the Steam Home Page that is dedicated to recommendations from curators. This space will be for recommending more anything from popular releases to more “niche” titles. Additionally, there will be a new landing page to display many recommended titles from a curator.

Source: https://techraptor.net/content/valve-announces-updates-to-steam-store

Made a thread on the gaming side with the full post. Long time coming. Was hoping for stuff like this close to Steam Dev Days. A client refresh wouldn't go a miss as well as support and everything else, but Valve gonna Valve. I'm just glad the refund system lives.

These are nice. Maybe now they'll stop trying to get me to buy VNs.

And yes, this is a top priority. The only other option is to unfriend everyone playing them so Steam won't recommend them because "your friends play this"

* New Steam Curator Options: Noticing that people are using Steam Curator to give information on a title, without necessarily recommending it, there will be new tools that will allow a curator to make a distinction about whether or not they are recommending, not recommending or just giving information about a title. This will also allow Valve to better understand what curated posts should be highlighted on the front page.

* Curators In Main Capsule: The Main Capsule banner will be updated to include curators that the customer personally follows.

* Improved Steam Curator Presence: There will be a new section on the Steam Home Page that is dedicated to recommendations from curators. This space will be for recommending more anything from popular releases to more “niche” titles. Additionally, there will be a new landing page to display many recommended titles from a curator.

Do they have an option to turn curators off entirely?

Plesiades

* Global Customer Preferences: A new feature that will allow customers to customize their Steam Store experience. Allowing them to opt to exclude certain products from being displayed, such as Videos, Early Access titles, Software, VR, etc.

"Hide all the games that went through Greenlight".

I wish.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Nzyme32

Can't wait to see what new features they nicked from Enhanced Steam this time

And also can't wait to spend hundreds of
hours fixing code to make the features they didn't take work again

Start your own trademark. Maybe put ᴶˢ next to everything you did first

zkylon

zkylewd
Can't wait to see what new features they nicked from Enhanced Steam this time

And also can't wait to spend hundreds of
hours fixing code to make the features they didn't take work again
it's ur punishment for giving a shit

that's not allowed at valve :p

Virginia was really cool, a lot different than what I expected but in a good way, gonna have buy the soundtrack too. It's got that Twin Peaks vibe to it that really appeals to me.

yuraya

Lets just all cross our fingers and hope the updated steam store doesn't resemble the abomination known as the new Origin.

Accoun

I'm only a few levels in, but I'm pretty enjoying CoJ: Gunslinger. Except maybe for the duels. And the QTE bullet avoidance was annoying during the boss fight, but bearable during normal levels, on longer range shots.
Still, they've made the dual revolvers pretty damn fun, if kinda easy except for the longer distances.

kagamin

I'm only a few levels in, but I'm pretty enjoying CoJ: Gunslinger. Except maybe for the duels. And the QTE bullet avoidance was annoying during the boss fight, but bearable during normal levels, on longer range shots.
Still, they've made the dual revolvers pretty damn fun, if kinda easy except for the longer distances.

The duels get more fun as you go on really, I liked the last few, also trying to shoot a chicken and then your opponent in the arcade duel mode is really challenging to do.

TsuXna

It's been so long since i participated in one of these threads.

Will receive my new PC by next week. Missed a lot, excited to play new games.

Plesiades

A few glimpses of the Store visual refresh... thanks to SteamDB.

6febb77e95c98cbb173ed3a38c80b993c9e77b86.jpg

d716def96f75bf4fb8ad6ff82e8f37d4ffa23772.jpg

kagamin

I wonder if the new updates will break my old Miku steam skin that hasn't been updated in a like a year or two, if it's just a store update not likely.

If you try to activate a key for a game that you already own, this does not invalidate the key in question, right? I occasionally miss the fact that I already own some game in a bundle, but I wouldn't want to then try to give-away an unusable key.

Ucchedavāda;218025545 said:
If you try to activate a key for a game that you already own, this does not invalidate the key in question, right? I occasionally miss the fact that I already own some game in a bundle, but I wouldn't want to then try to give-away an unusable key.
not unless the key is a slightly different package that includes something you don't own like the game OST or some DLC.

When is the next Steam sale coming up, really hoping for some good deals on Assassin Creed Syndicate Gold and Far Cry Primal.

Most likely October 29th to the 1st or so, then Nov. 25th to 27th or so.

Halloween and Thanksgiving Sales are both really quick. Although, last year, the Thanksgiving Sale did end only two weeks before the Winter Sale. It was weird.

Anyone else seeing two types of reviews on some games and others only have one?

Some are now showing:
OVERALL - which is ALL reviews
RECENT

And others just show:
OVERALL - which is just Steam reviews

So with the Van Helsing games, should I play the trilogy or go with the Final Cut?

Final Cut.

The first game is very different, only three classes and basic base mechanics. Second game expands to 6 classes and adds a whole heap of stuff to do like base management and even the tower defence game that spawned Deathtrap. The 3rd is half-arsed, it's short and most of the additional content doesn't work.

The final cut integrates all the games as a continuous experience without the quality and playability jumps.

Anyone else seeing two types of reviews on some games and others only have one?

Some are now showing:
OVERALL - which is ALL reviews
RECENT

And others just show:
OVERALL - which is just Steam reviews

Yes. Virginia, for example, only has the 'overall'.
My uninformed guess is that it only shows the 'recent' reviews for games out more than 30 days.

EDIT: Obduction also lacks the 'recent', so if I am correctly that should show up today.

KingBroly

Banned
So I just downloaded the Metro for Steam Skin. Where the hell have I been to miss this?

I just wish I could download the customization option for local use instead of having to go to their site every time I want to change things

Monooboe

Final Cut.

The first game is very different, only three classes and basic base mechanics. Second game expands to 6 classes and adds a whole heap of stuff to do like base management and even the tower defence game that spawned Deathtrap. The 3rd is half-arsed, it's short and most of the additional content doesn't work.

The final cut integrates all the games as a continuous experience without the quality and playability jumps.

Aaah sounds good, glad that the final cut was free. They even say it can be run on an Intel HD card so hopefully I can play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom