• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens

Banned
Apparently when they built their server back-end, they didn't do it very well it seems.

Ajax calls aren't themselves harmful (it's how Enhanced Steam gets it's API data as well) but they can be used maliciously to load software from other domains. Modern browsers implement what's called CORS (cross-origin resource sharing) but can bypass CORS for extensions as long as the domains specified match the extension's manifest files. So when it says "can see your browsing activity and load scripts from super-steam.net" or whatever, it literally means "you need to trust this because it could load something bad from the super-steam.net domain while you're browsing Steam". Again, not saying it does, just saying it could. I haven't looked at the code.

In this case, it just looks like they're doing Ajax requests to get your user's Steam keys so it's probably fine.

Found this on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/51j4xc/random_free_keys_when_visiting_workshop/d7cxldn

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait a minute... how did they come to this price? I "merely" own Borderlands 1 and three of its DLCs (which was 1$ tier in a Humble Bundle a few months ago), but apparently I can get Borderlands 2 and the Pre-Sequel (unfortunately no additional DLCs) for €6,78.... That's a pretty good price, considering they're currently much, much more for the two of them (7,50 and 14 respectively).

It's a bundle rather than a sub. You get 77% off the total cost of the products you don't already own as opposed to just 77% off the base price of the entire package.

Wait a minute... how did they come to this price? I "merely" own Borderlands 1 and three of its DLCs (which was 1$ tier in a Humble Bundle a few months ago), but apparently I can get Borderlands 2 and the Pre-Sequel (unfortunately no additional DLCs) for €6,78.... That's a pretty good price, considering they're currently much, much more for the two of them (7,50 and 14 respectively).
I had the same breakdown as you and bought it, it was a really good price for getting the rest of those games.

Wok

Mind blown! Modbot exposed?

fqr5Sjb.png

MUnited83

For you.
Mind blown! Modbot exposed?

fqr5Sjb.png

It's incorrect. Afaik, the only way you can use keys to retrieve your account is with cd keys of physical copies. Valve will ask you to provide a photo of the box with the original cd key inside. They don't do this for digital keys.

Nabs

If anyone isn't a 3+:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Coffin Dodgers -- MB-737926C8EE4A3558 - Taken by longlivegaming

JaseC

Jump Tanks was yanked earlier, seemingly because development ceased six months ago, just a few days after release. You can still buy a key for the game on Humble, and for the time being the DLC is still up on the Steam Store itself.

yoshizzle

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Coffin Dodgers -- MB-1FB0E788EA2CEEB4 - Taken by voodooray

Momentary

Banned
That's because the port is a piece of shit and has a ton of issues besides Dx10 (MS obviously is a piece of shit too for breaking their own api).

Was Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition not ported by QLOC? The situation makes me upset because the game has been busted since 2015 and there is no way for me to get a refund on this POS. Whoever did the porting job should hang their heads low man. It's even worse that there hasn't been a patch for this bullshit.

JaseC

RIP

CrxXxYSXYAAm5Dh.jpg:large

Tnx lashman.

So, just to nip the obvious in the bud: This is the result of EA's publishing contract expiring. EA owns the IP, however Spicy Horse owned the game itself. The removal isn't the beginning of some misguided attempt by EA to herd people to Origin.

Edit: The app store page is still up, so the sub removal is probably related to the key issues people have been experiencing, as Nab pointed out below.

dex3108

So, just to nip the obvious in the bud: This is the result of EA's publishing contract expiring. EA owns the IP, however Spicey Horse owned the game itself. This isn't the beginning of some misguided attempt by EA to herd people to Origin.

Bulletstorm was released same year. Could it be? Is there hope?

Xanathus

Sucks when you lose the rights to a free property.

Wait which rights did they lose? Alice in Wonderland is public domain, I assume it's EA losing some rights but I can't figure out which.

So, just to nip the obvious in the bud: This is the result of EA's publishing contract expiring. EA owns the IP, however Spicey Horse owned the game itself. The removal isn't the beginning of some misguided attempt by EA to herd people to Origin.

So couldn't Spicy Horse just relist the game themselves on Steam again?

Nabs

Could it be related to the log in issues Steam users were having? The workaround is to register the cdkey to your Origin/EA account first.

redlacs

I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (redlacs, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Jump Tanks Original Soundtrack + Artbook DLCs -- MB-BDD8D52E9EAF1D75 - Taken by BernardoOne. 1 entrants total.

t1473274470z1.png

something for you collectors out there. got these keys as thanks for "participating" in beta.
modbot will send you just soundtrack key, PM me for the other one

JaseC

Bulletstorm was released same year. Could it be? Is there hope?

Bulletstorm appears to be bound to a longer contract. Madness Returns turned five back in June; Bulletstorm turned five a few months earlier, in February, and is still being published by EA.

Spicy Horse is seemingly dead. The studio more or less shut down earlier in the year to focus on smaller indie titles, however spicyhorse.com just takes you to an "Under Construction" page these days.

Edit:
Could it be related to the log in issues Steam users were having? The workaround is to register the cdkey to your Origin/EA account first.

Actually, yeah, the store page is still up.

Jawmuncher

Wait which rights did they lose? Alice in Wonderland is public domain, I assume it's EA losing some rights but I can't figure out which.

Was a bad joke about pulling a game based on a public domain ip

Grief.exe

It's incorrect. Afaik, the only way you can use keys to retrieve your account is with cd keys of physical copies. Valve will ask you to provide a photo of the box with the original cd key inside. They don't do this for digital keys.

I believe using a retail key as a valid form of identification requires corresponding proof of ownership.

Edit: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2347-qdfn-4366#cd-keys

I always forget to hold onto my physical keys. Hopefully next time I can remember.

kagamin

For people who don't know this extension for GIF, it is a game changer. I almost had a jump scare at the GIF since it loaded so fast.

I randomly ended up on OT and I grabbed that, it was a nice distraction from the usual stuff I see there lol.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So a console is gonna do stuff that pcs been doing for a while now.

And the "enthusiasts" are going crazy for it

Call PC gamers over an obsession with graphics and frame rate, but celebrate a console that improves solely on those two things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom