• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
Bloodborne is a locked 30fps isn't it? The framepacing is just screwed up and good hardware won't fix that.

Also I already played Bloodborne and liked Souls 3 more so meh.

Ah, poop... Is it? Yeah, actually, you're right, aren't you. I remember reading about the frame-pacing stuff.

Bugger.

Guess I'll go for a second-hand standard PS4, then. Unless From patch BB, which is...Not likely. If they were going to, they would've done it by now.

kagamin

I'd want a PS4 for Idolmaster Platinum Stars and Project Diva Future Tone, because I know those games aren't coming to PC at all.

Kudo

If they don't upgrade Bloodborne for Pro, the Slim is 299$ and you can probably get one even cheaper I'd say Bloodborne is easily worth all that, game of all-time.

Guess I'll go for a second-hand standard PS4, then. Unless From patch BB, which is...Not likely. If they were going to, they would've done it by now.

Yep, that's still my plan.

With PS4 Pro and Slim announcement, OG PS4 price will only go lower from now on.

I won't pay for more than $200 for a PS4, maybe $150 if I can find a good secondhand one.

So I bought the GameMaker bundle earlier and the purchase shows up in my PayPal history but I haven't gotten an email from PayPal or Humble about it, and it doesn't show up in my Humble account. Anyone else having any issues with Humble or PayPal?

I still dont understand how the update processes of some games work.

Like I had 30gb free space on my game HDD, wanted to update ARK and after 3GB it tells me no free space and there really is no space on my HDD left.
The same thing happened before with Payday 2. Thats why I uninstalled it because during the update process it somehow reserved 40gb for a 1,2gb update.

Corpekata

Banned
I still dont understand how the update processes of some games work.

Like I had 30gb free space on my game HDD, wanted to update ARK and after 3GB it tells me no free space and there really is no space on my HDD left.
The same thing happened before with Payday 2. Thats why I uninstalled it because during the update process it somehow reserved 40gb for a 1,2gb update.

Total Warhammer is notorious for this. So is Hitman. Not sure why.

Kinda wonder if it's leftover of some preload thing because it seems to be exclusively games I preloaded IIRC.

Kinda wonder if it's leftover of some preload thing because it seems to be exclusively games I preloaded IIRC.

To me its just some random games. Ark, before Payday2 and also 2 or 3 other games I uninstalled because of that (also didnt play).

I just uninstalled ARK completely and alas, 50GB free again and can download the game itself again which doesnt reserve that much free space. Just the updates it seems needs more space than the whole game.

oipic

Didn't preload Hitman, have the same issue. Unable to download latest update despite having more than 20 GB free - 'not enough disk space'. It appears to practically make a copy of its entire folder, which is patched/updated, then copied over the top (with the 'copy' then removed and the space handed back) - something like that. Jase will know. :)

Deques

Good morning Steam thread!

Wait a minute, did I come to the wrong place? Is this the Steam thread? I don't know >.<

So I bought the GameMaker bundle earlier and the purchase shows up in my PayPal history but I haven't gotten an email from PayPal or Humble about it, and it doesn't show up in my Humble account. Anyone else having any issues with Humble or PayPal?

Maybe some temporary hiccup
Send a support ticket to Humble if you still haven't gotten anything yet

Corpekata

Banned
Didn't preload Hitman, have the same issue. Unable to download latest update despite having more than 20 GB free - 'not enough disk space'. It appears to practically make a copy of its entire folder, which is patched/updated, then copied over the top (with the 'copy' then removed and the space handed back) - something like that. Jase will know. :)

This is typically what preloaded games USED to do so I think that's why I associated it with that.

It can't possibly be that Hitman, an episodic game, was designed with that weird ass download process in mind.

It's happening to so many games now I feel like it's gotta be something on Steam's end.

Uzzy

Hmm a PS4 Pro or a 1070, decisions decisions.

Lol jk why would I want a neo when I have a PC.

Bloodborne, Until Dawn and Persona 5 are the only worthwhile games on PS4, but none of those are taking advantage of the PS4 Pro.

So, once again, the PC is the better choice.

Anteater

As long as you don't take super resolution pictures with it.
Super resolution breaks a lot of the post processing.

oh they didn't fix it? That screenshot I took was using super res, it seems like AO is still in, but not sure about other post processing effects

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, when patching a game, all of the files being modified are saved to the downloading folder then moved once they're updated. E.g. If you install Garry's Mod and switch to the dev branch, the "patch" is only a 90MB download, but in actuality the dummy data takes up 755MB.

oipic

This is typically what preloaded games USED to do so I think that's why I associated it with that.

It can't possibly be that Hitman, an episodic game, was designed with that weird ass download process in mind.

It's happening to so many games now I feel like it's gotta be something on Steam's end.

Yeah, you're right, for sure - it fits with how preloaded titles behave (or used to behave). Haven't had a dig into the Hitman folders to suss out its structure, but perhaps there are particularly large files that don't play nicely or efficiently with delta updates.

It's annoying, though - even with sufficient space, Hitman updates make my (non-SSD) disk thrash madly.

Anteater

where's the key for this stupid ass chest :(

bioshockinfinite_2016cnpji.jpg

ooh found it, needed to back track

Yeah, when patching a game, all of the files being modified are saved to the downloading folder then moved once they're updated. E.g. If you install Garry's Mod and switch to the dev branch, the "patch" is only a 90MB download, but in actuality the dummy data takes up 755MB.

I still wonder though, how come a 2GB patch will take up 40GB... :(

Edit: Just saw after I uninstalled ARK, that its 80GB....

To be honest worst thing about PS4 Pro will be comments how multiplatform games can do 4K on PS4 Pro and not on PC.

"Hey. We can play Farcry 5 in 4k! It might have the lowest settings, but we can. What will PC boys do?"
The whole thing is a farce as it was before the Xbox One and Ps4 were released. Everyone was so sure since PCs have 60fps/1080p for years that it will be standard on those consoles but yeah...

Now "everyone" will be: Damn. That PS4 is so great. Look at Uncharted 4 now. All those added effects. Great! Graphic powerhorse.

Then when the Scorpio comes out and will be even better (just theoretically) and offers far better graphics, all of a sudden graphics wont be that important anymore.

dex3108

"Hey. We can play Farcry 5 in 4k! It might have the lowest settings, but we can. What will PC boys do?"
The whole thing is a farce as it was before the Xbox One and Ps4 were released. Everyone was so sure since PCs have 60fps/1080p for years that it will be standard on those consoles but yeah...

Now "everyone" will be: Damn. That PS4 is so great. Look at Uncharted 4 now. All those added effects. Great! Graphic powerhorse.

Then when the Scorpio comes out and will be even better (just theoretically) and offers far better graphics, all of a sudden graphics wont be that important anymore.

We already have people that claim how Uncharted 4 wouldn't be possible on PC. Now it will be even worse. I mean it is great that Sony found a way to do kinda 4K but they are still pushing resolution over framerate and nobody cares.

Vuze

It's kinda ridiculous that Valve hasn't added a "Use Controller Home Button to launch BigPictureMode" checkbox but instead compromises the home button functionality for all users.
I know there is a modded xinput DLL that works around this but that disables other features in BPM that rely on the Home Button like screenshots or community access. Dafuq.

wazoo

Any clue about the download folder in the steamapps folder ?

Mine is several tens of GB. IS that some glitch in the way Valve is handling install ? Can I remove it completely ?

derFeef

Mine is several tens of GB. IS that some glitch in the way Valve is handling install ? Can I remove it completely ?

It's usually the folder your downloads go until they are finished. I assume it's safe to clear if you do not download anything?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Home -- MB-1F8D5B0DD90AA4A7 - Taken by fuzzy123
Cook, Serve, Delicious! -- MB-B2865A89CB5196DB - Taken by Hakkelus

Mivey

How old is the stuff? If you not currently downloading something, or have some game currently preloaded, you should be safe to delete it.

Tizoc

You think this bad wait until the nx gets revealed

For that matter super mario run needs more hype
It may just be one of my goty contenders at this point
Good job on ninty for finally getting to releasing a mario game for ios/android

http://store.steampowered.com/app/526600

these guys are begging to hear from Nintendos lawyers

W20XKDY.jpg

watch the videos and listen to the sounds and music... and just everything

and thanks to lash ;)

That reminds me, the people behind that Kimulator nonsense are at it again and are now in a few days releasing a new game not even remotely like the game that got greenlight, circumventing GL and making it even more pointless that it already is. Might not last long if it even makes release collector type people.

Still salty for missing out on Alice even though I have it on ps3.

mp1990

Banned
You think this bad wait until the nx gets revealed

For that matter super mario run needs more hype
It may just be one of my goty contenders at this point
Good job on ninty for finally getting to releasing a mario game for ios/android
NX reveal gonna be fine compared to this, we don't have as many rabid fans and I don't think either Sony or MS see Nintendo as a full on competitor. At worst, people here will be taking potshots at Nintendo for an entire day and then they'll get over it, because SteamGAF hates anything related to that company :p

I really wish Persona 5 would receive a worldwide release in September, because right now would be a great time to sell my PS4. I don't see much use for it after P5, and maybe Horizon.

Phinor

"If you encounter problems with DirectX 12, we recommend turning it off again. There are no visual or gameplay differences between the two DirectX versions."

I have a feeling DX12 is again going to be performance loss for at least some cards. I've yet to benchmark a DX11/12 game that runs better on DX12. Luckily it doesn't matter with DXMD, DX12 offers no other benefits besides possible performance improvements.

Knurek

"If you encounter problems with DirectX 12, we recommend turning it off again. There are no visual or gameplay differences between the two DirectX versions."

I have a feeling DX12 is again going to be performance loss for at least some cards. I've yet to benchmark a DX11/12 game that runs better on DX12. Luckily it doesn't matter with DXMD, DX12 offers no other benefits besides possible performance improvements.

How long till everyone and their dog switches to Vulcan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom