• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Humble has been the only place outside of Steam selling Steam keys for Telltale games for a while now. Not sure how they pulled it off, but I suspect there is some verbiage in their existing contract.

Ubi, too, was required to provide Steam keys to begin with. I would imagine Telltale tried to wriggle out of providing Steam keys after it noticed Ubi receiving what appears to be special treatment but was denied.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Telltale key, not Steam. Redeem it here

ModBot said:
Instructions for Flips360:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Flips360, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Walking Dead: Michonne (Telltale Key) -- MB-76D2BDA5E3E56A2E - Taken by jonno394. 3 entrants total.

t1473366584z1.png

Wok

Regarding The Uncertain, sold for 12 € on the Humble store, I get a weird feeling that the game will be 2 hour long like a TellTale episode.

What do you think about that answer?

Knurek

Regarding The Uncertain, sold for 12 € on the Humble store, I get a weird feeling that the game will be 2 hour long like a TellTale episode.

2 hours and 15 minutes for the whole season just so you can't refund.

Ludens

Banned

Well, if the game is good, where's the problem? Abzu was the same, 2 hours long for 20€ but good. If you don't like the price (because 12€ for 2 hours is a lot, in my opinion), wishlist it, forget about it and buy it when 75% off or bundled.
It's ok doing 2 hours game, but since you can choose to buy them later I don't see the problem with the price/lenght.
The only problem I have with this game is Humble scammed me with its demo.

Wok

Well, if the game is good, where's the problem? Abzu was the same, 2 hours long for 20€ but good. If you don't like the price (because 12€ for 2 hours is a lot, in my opinion), wishlist it, forget about it and buy it when 75% off or bundled.
It's ok doing 2 hours game, but since you can choose to buy them later I don't see the problem with the price/lenght.
The only problem I have with this game is Humble scammed me with its demo.

Apart from the misleading monthly bundle, the problem is I am interested in 3 games to be released on Sep 21 (Pankapu) and Sep 22 (The Uncertain, Virginia), so I am not preordering one of the three without any clue about the game length. It is a matter of purchase priority.

Pankapu : unknown price, 3 - 4 hours.
The Uncertain : 12 € (including current discount for preordering), unknown duration.
Virginia : 10 €, movie-like duration.

Well it's a matter of expectations, I guess. They certainly talk a lot about the main principles that lay behind Torment's greatness, which is good to see and would be encouraging any other time. But when they name it Torment's spiritual successor, then I expect something that lives up to that classic, and the only thing that would have made me hopeful it could would be Avallone being the lead writer/creative director/whatever.

Had it not had the Torment name, my reaction would be 'this sounds really good'. But it does, so I keep comparing it to Planescape: Torment, so my reactions are 'this won't be anything close to PS:T'

I think a key thing here is that the Numenera setting is *perfect* for a PS:T followup. It's one of the coolest RPG settings to come along in a while (even if you ignore the pretty neat changes to normal tabletop RPG rules that reward storytelling over min-maxing); it really emphasizes the weird/fantastical/strange that'll be an awesome fit. The whole "there were eight era/civilizations that came before you, and artifacts / relics / structures / bioengineering / technology from those eras might still be around even if nobody knows exactly how they work or why, or if they're even using it right, or maybe they've already screwed up and it's gone horribly, horribly wrong" is a neat fit, and certain areas having access to different stuff based on what they've uncovered echoes the different Planes of Planescape pretty well. It really allows for the crazy variety and non-linear thinking that a follow-up to PS:T needs more so than a more traditional RPG setting, or having them have to roll-their-own from scratch.

That's all kinds of silly.
The information will be out there within days (if not hours) of the game release, and it is something that does matter, depending on your preferences and / or schedule (personally, I tend to jump more on shorter games these days). And it's as much a spoiler as knowing how many pages that are in a book, or knowing how many minutes a movie runs.

Wok

Ucchedavāda;216321787 said:
That's all kinds of silly.
The information will be out there within days (if not hours) of the game release, and it is something that does matter, depending on your preferences and / or schedule (personally, I tend to jump more on shorter games these days). And it's as much a spoiler as knowing how many pages that are in a book, or knowing how many minutes a movie runs.

It is super suspicious. I have been curious, so I have checked all their trailers (IGF competition, trailers from 2015, screenshots from their website, etc.), and I have come to the conclusion that they will most certainly be hit super hard by people abusing refunds under 2 hours of playtime. Indeed, I have played the demo twice (because Humble Monthly originally uploaded an older demo, so i wanted to play the newer demo after I noticed) and there are only 2 locations that appear in any of their released art that are not in the demo: the street and the ambulance robots (before and after catastrophic events).

Ambulance before
7_2.png
2tjCAxr.png
1szSRL2.jpg

Ambulance after
YHZgpxr.png
8_1.png

There is no other released art that I could find that was not in the sneak peek of Humble Monthly. So I the devs managed to hide most of the episode, they are super good, otherwise, the game would be like twice or three times as long as the demo, so 1 hour, and 2 hours at best (if we say 30 min demo, 30 min street, 30 min ambulance before, 30 min ambulance after, which is being generous). Anyway, I don't want to put a blame on them for something that I have no proof of, but I will wait for reviews since my experience of video games says there is something unusual there.

Ozium

So I the devs managed to hide most of the episode, they are super good, otherwise, the game would be like twice or three times as long as the demo, so 1 hour, and 1h30 at best.

Is this a surprise? They gave away a demo as a full game :)

Wok

Is this a surprise? They gave away a demo as a full game :)

But maybe the demo is actually 50% of the episode! This is what I am most worried about.

If this is so, they need to be open about that, like Virginia devs:

Otherwise, the refunds will hit them so hard... I feel bad about that.

Edit: Alright, I have found a jazz place and a robot factory. Maybe they have enough content to have a 2-hour game. The demo would be 20% - 25% of the game.

Robot factory
12698197_913210598795208_1535239737562734757_o.jpg
3_6.jpg

Jazz place
9.gif
6.gif

Tizoc

Redeem this on Steam quick!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tropico 4 -- MB-1D52848E291AA060 - Taken by QFNS. 1 entrants total.

t1473371727z1.png

oh shit homefront is free to play this weekend? well shit, looks like its time to see if i can pull off beating a whole game yet again before the free trail ends. last time i did this was with saint rows 4. wish me luck folks, downloading now

yuraya

The windows 10 updates and security settings are such shit. Just trash of the highest order.

I needed update 1607 (or wtvr) so I can download Forge. So I go into the settings to scan for update and it finds it. Then for like 30 minutes its stuck a 0% downloading. So I go on the web to search for reasons why it does that and of course find nothing. So I just manually download the update from MS site catalog and it downloads/installs in like 2 minutes. Fucking MS man. They got like 100k employees but they release this flimsy ass OS. Never again am I bothering with that shit settings app.

Now for the 35gb wait on Forge :D

Zaphod

I'm thinking of doing the Dishonored 2 preorder to get the definitive edition of Dishonored 1. Does anyone know if my saves from the regular Dishonored 1 will carry over without much trouble?

The windows 10 updates and security settings are such shit. Just trash of the highest order.

I needed update 1607 (or wtvr) so I can download Forge. So I go into the settings to scan for update and it finds it. Then for like 30 minutes its stuck a 0% downloading. So I go on the web to search for reasons why it does that and of course find nothing. So I just manually download the update from MS site catalog and it downloads/installs in like 2 minutes. Fucking MS man. They got like 100k employees but they release this flimsy ass OS. Never again am I bothering with that shit settings app.

Now for the 35gb wait on Forge :D

Windows Update has always been slow as all hell, but you'd think they'd have worked on improving that by Windows 10 .. running it is typically the most time consuming part of (re)installing windows, in my experience.

It is especially atrocious when you compare it to any number of OSS package managers, such as Apt, Portage, or Pacman, all if which can be run in mere minutes even for large upgrades.

On the bright side, Apt is on Windows 10 now ;)

Werd

Is Super Mega Baseball: Extra Innings playable for someone who has no idea about how baseball works?

Sure. The basic way the difficulty works is how much assistance the game gives in the controls, on the lowest pretty much all you have to do is time the pitch and throw to bases. The core baseball rules (3 strikes = out, 3 outs = inning, etc.) are pretty simple.

I bought it in the summer sale and played about 30 hours of it, fun game that has depth to the simple mechanics. Granted I like Baseball so was predisposed to enjoy it.

Nabs

Rocket League is now officially SteamPlay (PC/Mac/Linux). Everything is 25% until Tuesday. The Rumble update (1.3gb) has also been pushed out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
People here might be interested in an Obduction stream with Rand Miller as a guest on GOG Twitch channel.

http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom

Can someone with a Twitch account post in chat to ask if there are plans for any Obduction or Myst merchandise? I know Cyan is a tight ship but in the era of print-on-demand merchandise and FanGamer, there are lots of options for small teams to make stuff available. I bet FanGamer would do great posters and/or t-shirts for Myst, Riven, and Obduction.

Edit: yikes, the framerate on that video is awful and the player isn't even running, they're just walking slowly.

Homefront: The Revolution Free Weekend
Nby3eO2.png

Was never expecting it to light the world on fire but I have to admit I wasn't expecting such a mediocre reception either.
An open-world game like this, I won't be trying the weekend deal. Seems to be a perfect fit for a BTA Bundle grab.
That OP is all kinds of facepalm-worthy. Sheesh, what was he thinking?
Tomorrow is the day, guys
Been hearing lots of good things about this. Refrained of watching the anime to not spoil myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom