• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp1990

Banned
Very cool. Will give it a try later. The real thing I'm waiting for a is a solid modern singleplayer game set in the Star Wars universe.
Given Amy Hennig already said she's taking inspiration from Uncharted for the SW game she's working together with Visceral, I wouldn't hold my breath. It's kinda unbelievable we haven't got a single good SW game in the last two generations, they usually range from mediocre to straight awful. The franchise has been explored in all manner of ways, one would expect that the developers to get the hang of it by now, especially given the hardware we have today.

Arthea

Does Steins;Gate use the 1080p PS3 assets or is it the same as the existing 720p PC release?

we don't know that. Only negative review on steam, says that it looks better than Jast version, being 1080p, but it is upscaled not native 1080p. The same review links to Jast to buy the game instead, so I'm very skeptical about that review.
Some positive reviews say otherwise, that picture is sharp and looks great. So take that as you will.
I will keep my judgment after I play it, I also don't see reason why wouldn't they use 1080p assets that are available, but then again stranger things had happened before.

It's not. He's probably not looking in the Top Sellers tab. ;)

in the global sellers Steins Gate is only 5th, aww

Guys, you know which other game will be released in September?

Pavilion. Sep 22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMwoOcjWyJc

Please stop releasing all the cool indie games of the year during the same time window.

I was awaiting for it, but we were so heavily bombarded with great games this year, I won't be buying Pavilion any time soon, unfortunatelly

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
we don't know that. Only negative review on steam, says that it looks better than Jast version, being 1080p, but it is upscaled not native 1080p. The same review links to Jast to buy the game instead, so I'm very skeptical about that review.
Some positive reviews say otherwise, that picture is sharp and looks great. So take that as you will.
I will keep my judgment after I play it, I also don't see reason why wouldn't they use 1080p assets that are available, but then again stranger things had happened before.

They're 720p which is better than the initial PC releases version of around 576p.

In comparison the negatives of the new Steam port are:
  • UI translation is bad in comparison (Grammar+Translation) Some of it blatantly doesn't make sense.
    Example:
    Cr5Nc9xUEAAOnmo.jpg

Cr5DZbwUsAAXzr6.jpg
  • Uses improper font in comparison to non-Steam release
  • Word wrapping on texts is not fixed like in the initial PC release
  • Features none of the engine tweaks made to the initial English PC version to make it more stable.
It's not a bad port but it feels really lazy and sloppy compared to the original English PC release. If it gets fixed though it could be the definitive version to buy.

Tizoc

Anyone got that scene or GIF from the Simpsons where Bart gets rid of his old Atari/game console by tossing it in the fire, because a new updated model got released?

They're 720p which is better than the initial PC releases version of around 576p.

• UI translation is bad in comparison (Grammar+Translation) Some of it blatantly doesn't make sense.
    Example:
  • Features none of the engine tweaks made to the initial English PC version to make it more stable.
It's not a bad port but it feels really lazy and sloppy compared to the original English PC release. If it gets fixed though it could be the definitive version to buy.

I await the mods then :p

Ozium

The idle-skip clitch seem to work in steam general, I tried to play a game and I closed it shortly after and got a card, and I only have 70mins played on it.o_O

yeah I dont get how it works I thought I had a 2 hour limit but after playing project highrise for 50 minutes I ran idlemaster which idled everything up to 2 hours but hit quit after a minute because I had to restart my computer, but still got a card for project highrise

wtf

Half off at Humble currently. Seems like a good candidate for a weeklong or Midweek next week I'd think.

Great, I'll definitely pick it up this time.

I think was 75% off in the last summer sale. I almost bought it, actually. The game was on my cart until the sale ends.

Arthea

Example:

I prefer steam version, font size and all, and I mean not only prefer, it's much much better
As I said many times before, VN devs should embrace larger font size, most have them way too small.
what is improper font anyway? lol

what tweaks are those?

word wrapping can be fixed, if it's indeed a problem, then again there are steam reviews that says there are no problems with a steam version, so as I said, I'll keep my judgment until I play it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I prefer steam version, font size and all, and I mean not only prefer, it's much much better
As I said many times before, VN devs should embrace larger font size, most have them way too small.
I said nothing about it's size theres nothing wrong with the font being larger.
what is improper font anyway? lol
It doesn't follow proper standards with kerning being a bit off and the letters themselves being too thin.
This does not look right:
7ae3IuC.png

It looks like someone improperly set up the Cleartype option in Windows.

what tweaks are those?
The tweaks that made crashing almost non-existent and made possible the use of properly formatted fonts for English + word wrapping.
There were also features added through this such as subtitling + their timing for songs in the jukebox.

word wrapping can be fixed, if it's indeed a problem, then again there are steam reviews that says there are no problems with a steam version, so as I said, I'll keep my judgment until I play it.
It can be fixed but as it is this is a lazy showing for such a beloved title and I'd hope it would be fixed soon.

Pixieking

Banned
I said nothing about it's size theres nothing wrong with the font being larger.

It doesn't follow proper standards with kerning being a bit off and the letters themselves being too thin.
This does not look right:
7ae3IuC.png

It looks like someone improperly set up the Cleartype option in Windows.

Writing looks a bit "off", yeah, but the Steam version is far easier to read to my eyes. I kind-of hope they don't make it the same as the JAST version, to be honest.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Writing looks a bit "off", yeah, but the Steam version is far easier to read to my eyes. I kind-of hope they don't make it the same as the JAST version, to be honest.

That's mostly the size you can minimally change that font and have it more readable to the eyes without replacing it + fix it's kerning issues. Like I said it's like someone improperly set up Windows Cleartype on their machine.
All this is likely them not implementing proper half-width font characters into the engine like the original English PC release.

People seem weirdly defensive over what is ultimately pretty mild issues with the version.

Yeah, they're not super bad but people being weirdly defensive about it's shortcomings is odd. Like this wasn't enough to deter me from buying it but they are issues with this version that need to be worked out.

That's mostly the size you can minimally change that font and have it more readable to the eyes without replacing it + fix it's kerning issues. Like I said it's like someone improperly set up Windows Cleartype on their machine.
All this is likely them not implementing proper half-width font characters into the engine like the original English PC release.

Yeah, they're not super bad but people being weirdly defensive about it's shortcomings is odd. Like this wasn't enough to deter me from buying it but they are issues with this version that need to be worked out.

The port clearly has some issues, but there are some complaints that I'm not sure are legitimate or not. Is the upscale of the art done well?

I really just wanted a port that was better than the PS3 version of the game, hopefully MAGES actually makes some fixes here.

The only issue that would impact me would be word wrapping. I don't care much about the different font.
If that's the same issue as the PS3 version it's a minor thing that only affects a few emails.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The port clearly has some issues, but there are some complaints that I'm not sure are legitimate or not. Is the upscale of the art done well?

Well you can take a look here edges of lines look a bit odd on Mayuri and the bg people.
Here is a CG example:
Close up with regular sprite looks a bit odd can't recall if this was a problem with the PS3/4 or not atm. Again edges of bg people look odd.

These are in 1080p mode so judge accordingly. 720p mode probably looks the same as the PS3 minus the slightly blurry scaling to 1080p.
Edit: Actually just checked and it honestly looks worst at both 720p and 576p modes. I think they're just the 1080 scale being squished down.

Well you can take a look here edges of lines look a bit odd on Mayuri and the bg people.

Here is a CG example:

Close up with regular sprite looks a bit odd can't recall if this was a problem with the PS3/4 or not atm. Again edges of bg people look odd.
Yeah, the upscaling is evident if you look for it.

These are in 1080p mode so judge accordingly. 720p mode probably looks the same as the PS3 minus the slightly blurry scaling to 1080p.
Oh, I wasn't aware it worked this way. But I think I'll still wait to see if they have any intent on fixing some of the other issues.

Edit:
Edit: Actually just checked and it honestly looks worst at both 720p and 576p modes. I think they're just the 1080 scale being squished down.
Oh, that's not good.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah, the upscaling is evident if you look for it.

Oh, I wasn't aware it worked this way. But I think I'll still wait to see if they have any intent on fixing some of the other issues.

Yeah like my edit said it looks worst at 576p and 720p mode if you're planning to play at 1080 it's fine. Also I think the CG is native res it looks perfect compared to the scaling.
Looking at it initially without too much scrutiny it looked fine to me only noticed the weird edges after focusing.

Also what it looks like at 720+576:
aDM8I7y.png

aWUXXG9.png

So if you plan on playing at those resolutions I'd suggest not to get this version and stick with the Jast one. If you're playing at 1080p I'd suggest to get it if this doesn't bother you and you're not too chuffed at the other downsides.
Honestly it's bad scaling or there is an in engine sharpening filter going on that needs to be turned down.

Kudo

Heh, didn't want to diss your new purchase when you mentioned getting a MX the other day but yeah, not a good gamer mouse at all. Laser sensor, heavy and wireless that's not tuned for gaming. Depending on how much you're willing to spend there's the G900 and the G403 will have a wireless version too for slightly over 100€$ but they're not out yet as far as I can tell. About the wheelclick, the G Pro seems to use the same wheel, check some videos/reviews like this one (great channel btw), sounds good and he'd complain if it were too mushy.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. I checked some reviews from this channel and he really seems to know his stuff, those Quake clips he pulls off are insane.
Got my money back from MX Master now I don't think my new one needs to have wireless, all wireless mouses have really bad battery life and are so heavy I'd rather just get decent wired one, you really notice the difference between 145g and 90g mouse when gaming, my Xai feels like a feather in hand after MX Master.
Currently trying to decide between G403 Prodigy, G Pro, Rival 300 and Sensei RAW Rubberized.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
BundleStars THE ODYSSEY BUNDLE

Tier 1 - Pay only $1.99 to get:

The Last Door - Collector's Edition
Quest for Infamy
​​Face Noir
Lost Civilization
Morningstar: Descent to Deadrock
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller
Moebius: Empire Rising
Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar
Supreme League of Patriots Season Pass

Tier 2 - Pay $4.99 to add:

Tick's Tales
Cornerstone: The Song of Tyrim​

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/odyssey-bundle

derExperte

Currently trying to decide between G403 Prodigy, G Pro, Rival 300 and Sensei RAW Rubberized.

The RAW is old and has an inferior sensor compared the one in the new Logitechs. Rival weighs 130g, imo too much. Maybe take a look at the Zowies but if I had to buy a mouse in the near future I'd go with the G403 (though it might have some drawback we don't know about yet).

Kudo

The RAW is old and has an inferior sensor compared the one in the new Logitechs. Rival weighs 130g, imo too much. Maybe take a look at the Zowies but if I had to buy a mouse in the near future I'd go with the G403 (though it might have some drawback we don't know about yet).

Yeah, I think the G403 Prodigy looks the most interesting of the bunch, I really want that right-handed design and you're right 130g is too much. Going to wait for some reviews before getting it, but unless some bad issues with the mouse I think I have my new mouse in sight.
Thanks again for the help.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Turnover -- MB-30EE1089211FB514 - Taken by dimmer. 20 entrants total.

t1473519973z1.png

Ludens

Banned
-Boot Homefront The Revolution
-The game forces me to find radio, stop generators and saving random people in order to fill a 100% bar and progress.
-I do it for a while dying like a dog because stealth sucks and it's impossible being undetected even on easy.
-The bar stops filling on 91% no matter what.

derExperte

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ink -- MB-155DC3C572EF9F89 - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.

t1473434795z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom