• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

So I go away for a few months and return to find out Dead Rising is coming to PC. Happy fucking days! Why hasn't anyone wrote a recommendation for the OP? Slackers! Then again I'm off to Spain for 2 weeks soon so fingers crossed more goodies come our way. Oh and howdey SteamGAF, been a while.

So I go away for a few months and return to find out Dead Rising is coming to PC. Happy fucking days! Why hasn't anyone wrote a recommendation for the OP? Slackers! Then again I'm off to Spain for 2 weeks soon so fingers crossed more goodies come our way. Oh and howdey SteamGAF, been a while.
Welcome back. Your write-ups and screens have been missed. But maybe change your destination to Mexico so that we get a RDR PC port ;)

I like when I get lumped into a "fanbase" despite owning every console of this gen, and playing on everything.

Everything has an advantage or disadvantage over the other. Though something will always have more advantages than others. Nothing is ever going to be 100% equal.

I think the PS4 pro isn't that worthy of an upgrade, it's also one hell of an ugly design.
The scorpio seems interesting, but with MS push on PC it's not really needed if you have a decent PC.
WiiU didn't have much to play on it for my tastes, and nintendo want's to take their sweet time showing what the NX is.
I'm more than a bit annoyed with Steam having such a monopoly and still taking ages on fixing basic stuff.

Despite all that i'll play games where ever I want. But I call shit out on every single one of them.

I agree with all of this except for the Wii U part. For me, there were a few really incredible titles, like Splatoon and Mario Maker, with some stellar unique games, like Wonderful 101.

For that reason, and Nintendo's propensity for exclusivity, the NX is on my list of wants, while the rest of them aren't.

Ozium

GMG emailed out a voucher code for 22% off Civilization VI, Mafia III, and NBA 2K17...expires on the 12th

I don't know if the codes are account bound so I won't post it here...just check your email and see if you got one

I got one too, but I thought GMG wasn't doing vouchers anymore?

also, not surprisingly, the games don't have their VIP discounts anymore but are at full price

so odd

Uzzy

You're still alive? That's cool. I was beginning to fear that this atrocity had claimed another British person.

Cr0Wpx6W8AAk2r0.jpg

inm8num2

PC gaming is getting cheaper and more accessible ($200 graphics cards available now are almost as powerful as next year's Xbox console) while console gaming is getting more expensive and less "stable" (mid-generation console iterations, multiplayer subscription services, etc). It makes sense that at some point, probably soon, we'll reach the tipping point - as the article mentions, gaming on PCs has become a lot easier in recent years and provides a much better upgrade path.

I'm still rocking the same AMD CPU I bought in 2011 (FX-8150) which is a 3.6 GHz 8-core that probably still has a few years of life left in it and it was $179. Keep in mind that it's been in use since before the original Binding of Isaac was released, and has yet to be a major performance bottleneck for gaming. The same is true of my 32GB of DDR3-1866 RAM I purchased back when I put this box together.
(Thankfully, all this stuff still works after my recent fire)

There are extra "addon purchases" you can make with PC gaming, but the same can be said of console gaming as well. I bought a nice 27-inch 1440p monitor a while back for $279. I didn't really need it, but 1440p is nice, especially for the games that support it. With the PS4Pro / Scorpio announcements, people are rushing out like mad to spend thousands of dollars on 4K / HDR TVs - same thing. I also bought a Steam Controller (with card monies) and earlier this year I upgraded my Radeon HD7850 from 2012 with a Radeon R390X, meaning I got about 4 years out of my old card and I feel I got a good value from it. Meanwhile, I bought a PS4 almost 2 years ago, and I'm already faced with the choice on whether or not to completely scrap it in favor of an upgraded model.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also firmly in the "buy and enjoy whatever you'd like" camp - I own a gaming PC, Xbox One, PS4, Vita, 3DS, etc (back to the Atari 2600) - but I would say that PC gaming easily offers one of the best value propositions for entertainment I've ever taken part in.

Agreed. That's what's interesting to me about the XBox/PS4 "upgrades" - it's seemingly a huge shift from the traditional model in which a console lasts a whole generation and has a life of up to 6-7 years. If someone has to buy a console every 3 years to stay current, then those old cost-of-entry advantages go out the window. Consoles will certainly still be preferable for many people for different reasons, but the current value in PC gaming is fantastic.

I got one too, but I thought GMG wasn't doing vouchers anymore?

also, not surprisingly, the games don't have their VIP discounts anymore but are at full price

so odd

They stopped doing the sitewide vouchers...this one is just for those games only

Mafia III never had a VIP discount that I saw...no idea about the other 2 games

Jawmuncher

I agree with all of this except for the Wii U part. For me, there were a few really incredible titles, like Splatoon and Mario Maker, with some stellar unique games, like Wonderful 101.

For that reason, and Nintendo's propensity for exclusivity, the NX is on my list of wants, while the rest of them aren't.

I know i'm the odd dog out when it comes to nintendo. Though I blame most of it just due to the lack of success for the wiiu. Had it been more succesful, I think there would have been more on the console that appeals to me. Regardless i'm still interested in the NX, but won't be so quick to jump in like I was with the WiiU.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What did they expect? Discussions about consoles in a PC thread is generally about comparison, pros and cons, and PS4 Pro didn't measure up.

They expected to be mollycoddled with newborn mittens that stop babies from scratching themselves.

The problem most of us will have trying to understand this is a matter of psychology. A regular person looks at a product and determines if the features appeal to them at a price they find acceptable. A console warrior works backwards from a predetermined conclusion.

These people were getting a PS4Pro nearly regardless of what it does over a PS4. They have concluded "I'm owning this" and work backwards to find the features that support them buying the thing.

To the average person, we needed the console sold to us. To the rabid fan who gets upset over a Microsoft checklist, they needed to sell the console to themselves.

You're still alive? That's cool. I was beginning to fear that this atrocity had claimed another British person.

Wait, hold up, what the FUCK.

Bon voyage!

Jawmuncher

Enjoy spain.

Dr Dogg

Welcome back. Your write-ups and screens have been missed. But maybe change your destination to Mexico so that we get a RDR PC port ;)

Considering I work 70+ hour weeks now I've hardly time for work related things let alone extracurricular musings.

I'll be honest I've recently had a thing for Costa's Chai Latte's. Sweetest thing known to man and that's before caking it in cinnamon.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I'm looking forward to Dead Rising, but I'm putting off my PC playthrough until my Extra Life livestream on November 5th.

Good to see you, and safe travels!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You guys have no idea how mad I am right now.

All your attempts to rile me up over Serious Sam or Borderlands or some shit roll off my fucking back like it's made of Scotchgarded Teflon.

But this instant tea shit has got shirtless and screaming in my front yard right now.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You guys have no idea how mad I am right now.

All your attempts to rile me up over Serious Sam or Borderlands or some shit roll off my fucking back like it's made of Scotchgarded Teflon.

But this instant tea shit has got shirtless and screaming in my front yard right now.

I would expect nothing less from the fabled OP of the Tea OT

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Last week I was interviewed about the process of porting JRPGs to Steam, how we acquire games to port and quite a bit more, and I thought it might be of interest to some of you.

The interview itself went up on Youtube earlier this week and you can check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vNh9rCJ7Zw

This was actually a pretty good listen and it added clarifications on some things that I had a few doubts. Great interview man.

Parsnip

Hi.
Barbarism.

all this talk of ps4p vs pc...and i just bought a backup ps3 from walmart. too paranoid of my ps3 bricking and losing all my games.

I know i'm the odd dog out when it comes to nintendo. Though I blame most of it just due to the lack of success for the wiiu. Had it been more succesful, I think there would have been more on the console that appeals to me. Regardless i'm still interested in the NX, but won't be so quick to jump in like I was with the WiiU.

Ahh, see, I jumped into the Wii U later in its life cycle, so I had my pick of the litter, basically. Splatoon was still fresh and Mario Maker wasn't quite out, yet.

I can see feeling burned because of the really slow trickle of games. Slow trickle slower than a kettle and non-instant tea.

bigzgod

I thought Zero and Ao have a PC version anyway, so it's only a matter of localizing it.

They do but it's always iffy whether or not they'll expend the resources to localize it. I'd prefer a localized Zero and Ao over Cold Steel on PC, especially since the CS series will likely be available on PSNow anyway.

I'd double dip on Cold Steel if it comes to PC regardless.

Uzzy

Considering I work 70+ hour weeks now I've hardly time for work related things let alone extracurricular musings.

I'll be honest I've recently had a thing for Costa's Chai Latte's. Sweetest thing known to man and that's before caking it in cinnamon.

A fine choice. I've had a few recently and quite enjoyed it.

How does that even work? You spray that into hot water?

NSFL:
It's an aerosol that you spray into a mug and pour hot water over.

KingKong

I'm convinced the better way of making tea is pouring hot water on the bag, pressing it down with a spoon a few times and throwing it out. Granted I buy decent quality bags (yorkshire, london cuppa, etc) but it always tastes so much better to me than the standard brewing method

Tizoc

Been a while mate

Those pesky tea bags are gone, you're just left with a larger metal and plastic canister! Funny!

I could see it being a good consolation prize for a game tourney.

What's good in those Gala and Bundlestars bundles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom