• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Why I can't even purchase it? Plus a 3€ discount for a 50€ pack of which you own two games already is kinda bad.

What 50€? It's not 50€ because I already own everything else. This uses the new bundle system. The rest of the games don't count in the pricing.

KR_remix

I don't take it that any of the Quake games are worth playing single-player?

Quake 1 is great, if you are looking for source ports I would suggest using Quakespasm as it is the most faithful. Unfortunately the steam release doesn't have the amazing soundtrack, but if you can track it down you can add it back in. I think the GoG version has it, but it isn't enabled or something.

It also has a great mod scene for single player maps. I get most of my mods from here: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/ as they seem to have cataloged the most releases going pretty far back. Check out Arcane Dimensions if you want to try out a highly regarded recent mod release.

As for Quake 2, and 4. I personally don't care for them at all, maybe worth a single playthrough of 2 if you have nothing better to do. :/

Wok

Oh God, I have finally figured out something that was bugging me on my Steam activity feed:
  • People never "like" my purchases (if that makes any sense)
  • I am not able to like or comment Knurek's purchases (what an odd bug)
hVMnOp8.png
Well, it turns out this is controlled by a privacy setting on the Steam profile. It just happens that, among my contacts, only Knurek and I had set it to "no comment". I thought it only controlled the Steam profile page.

Jawmuncher

*Beat this on vita, so I can't comment on PC port quality.

Just got done beating this. Took me about 20 hours maybe a little less. But I used a guide when I got absolutely stumped in the puzzle rooms. So if you are hell bent on doing the puzzle rooms with no help might take a littler longer. All in all, I have to say that it was a good close for the series. It especially made up for VLR, which I felt was a very weak entry. Without spoiling much, it does make me appreciate VLR a bit more (Though that is still my least favorite) Due to the setup that game provides for this game. It was nice going back to a more darker tone like the first game, and the story didn't have as much head scratching going and huge leaps of logic like VLR. It was for the most part clear cut, and had a lot of nice twists all the way through.
As it has probably come across, playing VLR for this would be pretty necessary. Even though it seems like i'm tearing that game to shreds. It's not a terrible game, but it just isn't anywhere near as good as 999. Speaking of which 999 isn't needed as much to be played, but with a new port coming soon of that. I would just wait to play this until you play the other two. Since it really does tie into everything else, despite the marketing making it seem otherwise. That's not to say you can't enjoy without having played those. But a good bit of the experience will be lost.
So talking of the game itself, I really liked the switch in style here. Instead of a Visual Novel like the first two. The game is more reminiscent of a Telltale style game. You have a few puzzle rooms, You make some decisions, and you watch cutscenes. You don't walk around or anything. But it really lets the story sink in more seeing events in motion. As compared to a still frame or reaction sprite. That's not to say there is anything wrong with that, but the presentation here really works and adds a lot to the experience. So wrapping up this block of text where I just wrote down my feelings. I would say that if you haven't played 999 and VLR, skip this until those are out on steam. If you have played 999 and VLR, and haven't played this yet. Get to it soon. It's a nice close to the series.

----

Not really related to my feelings, but it'll be interesting to see the writer/director's next game. I hope he goes for a more standalone experience next time. Which is one of the main reasons I still consider 999 one of the best games out there. Dark and singular really helped that out. When you start getting into
time travel
stuff. You can only do so much before it just messes with everyone. So hopefully he stays away from that and just makes some stories that have the player think in otherways.

Nzyme32

Oh God, I have finally figured out something that was bugging me on my Steam activity feed:

Well, it turns out this is controlled by a privacy setting on the Steam profile. It just happens that, among my contacts, only Knurek and I had set it to "no comment". I thought it only controlled the Steam profile page.

I spent a good 5 mins trying to work out why I couldn't like or comment on Knurek's activity till it finally clicked. Thought it was Steam being wonky for a while

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I can detect another annoyance: not enough Styx purchases. ;)

Alternative post: No comment.

Wok

I spent a good 5 mins trying to work out why I couldn't like or comment on Knurek's activity till it finally clicked. Thought it was Steam being wonky for a while

I thought there was a bug with Finnish Steam. Maybe something with the language.

Unrelated, but, there is one particularly heavy week coming soon.

Sep 20
  • Batman TellTale: Episode 2
  • Cossacks 3
  • The Bunker
  • Wheels of Aurelia
Sep 21
  • Pankapu: Episode 1
Sep 22
  • Klang
  • Pavilion: Episode 1
  • The Uncertain: Episode 1
  • Virginia

Lots of indie stuff are released this month.

MUnited83

For you.

There's one thing that is even more annoying. Steam creates a unique publication based on the Time Zone of the person doing the activating.

So JaseC might have activated like 70 games in his page, but you will see a publication of like 43. If you comment on it, JaseC wouldn't be able to see it in his activity feed; he would have to go to notifications so he gets sent to the publication you happened to see. That publication won't share any of the comments or likes.

Annubis

I'm really digging DD:DA but I feel like it will take me an eternity to finish that game.
I'm at 95 hours and just got to chapter 3...

I'm just having too much fun walking somewhere random and exploring.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Intheflorsh, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rock n' Roll Defense -- MB-89DC656C053F3EEA - Taken by fuzzy123
FootLOL -- MB-BEA6D4208171CB97 - Taken by bloke

Got these in a GMG mystery bundle. I don't think I can stomach seeing "FootLOL" every time I scroll through my library, but maybe a braver soul out there can.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Half-Life had its time. I loved them both. HL1 was my favorite FPS campaign for a long time. Yet, I don't need another entry. Let it rest I say. Make something else. A spiritual successor without the burden of the lore/story/franchise or simply nothing.

So, you are saying Prey is HL3?

Anno

These Endless Space 2 videos that came out the last couple of days look great. Amplitudes UI designers are just on a whole other level, at least for my sensibilities.

JaseC

So JaseC might have activated like 70 games in his page, but you will see a publication of like 43. If you comment on it, JaseC wouldn't be able to see it in his activity feed; he would have to go to notifications so he gets sent to the publication you happened to see. That publication won't share any of the comments or likes.

Valve may have since fixed this, but the annoying thing about the time difference is that the notification broke if I tried to click through to the comment more than 24 hours after it was posted. My notifications would suddenly be tie to "deleted" posts because Steam fumbled the clock.

Always wondered why I could never "like" anything from you in the activity feed. Glad you found out why!

Nzyme32

2K are doing PC remasters of Bioshock games right.. This should be thread worthy

Not only are they giving owners of Bioshock 1, 2 and Minerva's den the Remasters for free - if you have a PC retail copy / GFWL copy from years back that doesn't come with the key, you can contact 2k support and get the Steam versions

Very nice

I own BioShock on PC. How do I get the remastered version?

BIOSHOCK ON STEAM: If you already own BioShock, BioShock 2, or Minerva’s Den on Steam, the remastered version for the corresponding title will automatically show up in your Steam library as a separate game. You can expect to see the remastered titles begin rolling out in Steam libraries starting at 3pm PT on September 15, 2016 (find out what time that is in your timezone[www.thetimezoneconverter.com]). Once it shows up, you can choose to install the original version or the remastered version.

BIOSHOCK NOT ON STEAM: If you have a physical copy of BioShock or BioShock 2 on PC, or a Games for Windows Live digital copy, it may take some additional steps to get the remastered version.

The original BioShock is 9 years old. NINE. That is ancient in computer years. This also means most physical copies didn’t come with a CD key. To get BioShock remastered on Steam, you must provide your Steam profile information AND proof of purchase of the original PC game to 2K Support[support.2k.com]. Find out what else you need to submit a ticket here[support.2k.com].

For BioShock 2, find the Games for Windows Live key that was with your digital or physical copy. Activate this key through Steam. Information and step-by-step instructions can be found at this link[support.2k.com].

Once you have BioShock or BioShock 2 on Steam, you are all set for the upgrade starting at 3pm PT on 9/15/16. Want to know if your PC can handle the new remasters? Below are the minimum and recommended system specs for the remastered versions included in BioShock: The Collection.

Minimum Specs:
OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64-bit. Platform Update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
Processor: Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz / AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHZ
Memory: 4 GB
Hard Drive: BioShock 25GB; BioShock 2 25GB; BioShock Infinite 20GB; Total for all three games 70GB
Video Card: DirectX11 Compatible, AMD Radeon HD 7770 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Device
Other Requirements: Software installations required including DirectX and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 & 2012 Redistributable Package.

Recommended Specs:
OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64-bit. Platform Update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
Processor: 3GHz Quad-Core
Memory: 8 GB
Hard Drive: BioShock 25GB; BioShock 2 25GB; BioShock Infinite 30GB; Total for all three games 80GB
Video Card: 2GB ATI Radeon HD 7970, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 or better
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Device

JaseC

2K are doing PC remasters of Bioshock games right.. This should be thread worthy

Not only are they giving owners of Bioshock 1, 2 and Minerva's den the Remasters for free - if you have a PC retail copy / GFWL copy from years back that doesn't come with the key, you can contact 2k support and get the Steam versions

Very nice

Er, upon closer inspection this announcement doesn't clarify whether or not you need to own Minerva's Den in order to receive Minerva's Den Redux -- the confusion stems from the fact, in the original announcement, Minerva's Den Redux is listed as a feature of BioShock Redux, and the fact that Minvera's Den is DLC for BioShock 2 as opposed to its own standalone expansion.

The matter of Minvera's Den is something I've attempted to clarify across several parties is as many weeks, from Take-Two to even Irrational, as it's been advertising the bundle. I officially give up. Blind Squirrel, when I most recently got in touch just a few weeks ago, couldn't even tell me if 21:9 resolutions would be supported, which, to be perfectly frank, is patently ridiculous.

Corpekata

Banned
Er, upon closer inspection this announcement doesn't clarify whether or not you need to own Minerva's Den in order to receive Minerva's Den Redux -- the confusion stems from the fact, in the original announcement, Minerva's Den Redux is listed as a feature of BioShock Redux, and the fact that Minvera's Den is DLC for BioShock 2 as opposed to its own standalone expansion.

The matter of Minvera's Den is something I've attempted to clarify across several parties is as many weeks, from Take-Two to even Irrational, as it's been advertising the bundle. I officially give up.

If you click the article I think it clearly states it. You need to own it.

They wouldn't keep separating it if it wasn't needed, like how the Infinite DLC isn't mentioned separately.

JaseC

The original Bioshock IIRC was not a great port, stability-wise.

The game and AMD GPUs didn't play nicely together when it came to texture LOD transitions, but a hotfix was quickly issued (I distinctly remember this as I had a 2900XT at the time), Beyond that, the only serious problem was the 30fps physics, which went unchecked by 2K itself and uncorrected by frustrated modders.

Finally got my new keyboard and mouse, which rounds out my current PC upgrades, the keyboard is a Corsair K65 LUX RGB with Cherry Red switches, and the mouse is a Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum wireless/wired gaming mouse. Also got a new Xbox One S controller and a new desk, as well as a 27 inch IPS HP Monitor. Couple all that with my GTX 1070 and 2 SSD's, I think I'm set for a while. Super proud of my setup now.

If you click the article I think it clearly states it. You need to own it.

They wouldn't keep separating it if it wasn't needed, like how the Infinite DLC isn't mentioned separately.

Infinite isn't mentioned on PC because it's not getting a redone version...the PC version was already good enough

PC gets the redone versions of the first 2 games...consoles get all 3

edit: I probably misunderstood what you meant...so disregard this if so

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
The original Bioshock is definitely from that early 360 era of ports. More trouble than it's worth to do all the ini tweaks for larger FOV and to turn off mouse smoothing. Be interesting to see if it's actually enjoyable to play on a mouse and keyboard now.

Grief.exe

Infinite isn't mentioned on PC because it's not getting a redone version...the PC version was already good enough

PC gets the redone versions of the first 2 games...consoles get all 3

Well they are just straight porting the PC version, so there is nothing to put up on Steam for Infinite.

You guys don't want to play Infinite anyways.

rtcn63

Infinite is a worse shooter than Bioshock 2 (blander weapons, underutilized abilities, two-gun carry limit, no NG+, gluttony) but a decent game overall.

And the ghost fight is a Dark Souls joint. It's only difficult your first time, but once you know how to approach it (I personally use sniper + shotgun + upgraded Charge Vigor), it's no harder than anything else.

Also you can game which gears you get (sorta). When you encounter a Gear pickup and its not what you need, reload the last checkpoint and it'll change.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well they are just straight porting the PC version, so there is nothing to put up on Steam for Infinite.

You guys don't want to play Infinite anyways.

oUK8VvL.png

Corpekata

Banned
Infinite is a worse shooter than Bioshock 2 (blander weapons, underutilized abilities, two-gun carry limit, no NG+, gluttony) but a decent game overall.

And the ghost fight is a Dark Souls joint. It's only difficult your first time, but once you know how to approach it (I personally use sniper + shotgun + upgraded Charge Vigor), it's no harder than anything else.

Also you can game which gears you get (sorta). When you encounter a Gear pickup and its not what you need, reload the last checkpoint and it'll change.

The issue with the fight isn't the difficulty as much as it goes on too long and is a real pacing killer.

WhiteWolf

Is Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition worth it at that price? Never played any of the Divinity games before, but the combat in this game looks sweet.

Pillars of Eternity is also on sale at Humble Bundle; as someone who is really interested in trying out CRPGs, which one should I get? I usually gravitate towards RPGs with fun combat (Bloodborne and Dragon's Dogma are 2 of my all time favorites).

Finally got my new keyboard and mouse, which rounds out my current PC upgrades, the keyboard is a Corsair K65 LUX RGB with Cherry Red switches, and the mouse is a Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum wireless/wired gaming mouse. Also got a new Xbox One S controller and a new desk, as well as a 27 inch IPS HP Monitor. Couple all that with my GTX 1070 and 2 SSD's, I think I'm set for a while. Super proud of my setup now.
The keys themselves look comfortable. Not a fan personally of lighting and lack of Numpad. Congrats, looks nice.

sadblob

Is Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition worth it at that price? Never played any of the Divinity games before, but the combat in this game looks sweet.

Pillars of Eternity is also on sale at Humble Bundle; as someone who is really interested in trying out CRPGs, which one should I get? I usually gravitate towards RPGs with fun combat (Bloodborne and Dragon's Dogma are 2 of my all time favorites).

Haven't played Pillars, but if you know someone you can co-op with, Divinity is the way to go.

Nzyme32

Quite looking forward to the remasters since I still haven't finished 1 or played 2 and infinite - yet of course I own them all.

My intention was to do System Shock and System Shock 2 first, but the first is getting a remaster, so that then made me question the whole thing. I should really just get started somewhere rather than wondering about what order to go through them.

Ah, you're right.

Pay no attention the old man yelling at the clouds.

Oh my bad, I cut the key bit of text out that you needed. Yeah, you own Minerva's den, you get Minerva's den remastered as a separate library entry. Have to own the DLC to get it free.

Nzyme32

So my understanding is that Divinity OS is the easier one to get into but both that and Pillars are incredible in their own right. However, from my experience I started with Pillars, and I absolutely adore that game.

Pillars is so so great from the start but what I love (and some dislike) is that there is a lot of lore and story going on right at the start that can be a bit overwhelming if you are not prepared for that. To me, it makes sense as this feels like a pre-existing world with lots of history between everything, and as someone new, you will not learn everything in some linear simple fashion and so you build knowledge gradually. Everything is well explained and easy to keep track though. Once you've got the first few hours done, then you really settle in and it's awesome!

If you would like to have a little look before you buy to see the intro / understand how it plays in a very casual way, this let's play with Pyrion Flax is brilliant - "Pillocks of Eternity"

Corpekata

Banned

Divinity is probably a better option for you. The mechanics are the draw and some of the best in the turn based business.

You don't need to have played the previous games. Stories are largely unconnected and for what little there are, OS is a prequel so nothing dependent on other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom