• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Been playing The Witcher III: Blood & Wine for about 15h now, and still not decided if it's actually that good, or if it just contains so much that you don't have time to stop and think about it. To say that the expansion is packed with stuff to do is an understatement.

It's starting to show some of Ubisoft design philosophy.
Standard quests are as great as in the main game, but the side activities feel a bit underwhelming/rushed.

Pixieking

Banned
Thinking of buying Recore next week, but when I go to Windows store it's not there for me, apparently because i'm not on the anniversary update yet. I've heard horror stories about issues with this, am I safe to install it yet, or will I have to be recore-less for a while?

Depends - it's very much a "Your Mileage May Vary" situation. The Anniversary Update has broken metered connection for mine and my wife's laptop. If I set a connection to metered, it no longer automatically finds or gives me the option to search for Windows Updates, which requires a restart of multiple WU services. It also BSODs if you plug a Kindle in (workaround is plug the Kindle in, then start your PC). Beyond that, it seems fine, but those are two pretty big issues for us, so... I haven't rolled-back to pre-AU, but I do wish I'd left it a bit before updating, and I don't think either of these issues are solved.

Edit: Anywhere selling Steam keys for Steins;Gate? Or is Steam the only place to get that version?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I'm in dire need of a computer desk. I'm so torn. I've been eyeballing this one:

product_11029.jpg

I'm looking for something that compliments my office/game room. I have wine barrel furniture in there. So I'm looking for something that gives an industrial/rustic/modern vibe. I don't want to make a thread for this because it seems menial and ones like it deal with ikea and/or have pricks who are condescending because a desk costs over a 100 bucks.

Where is the legroom?
I'd be constantly kicking those beams.

Or, do you serve the Beam?

Any games that let you celebrate your birthday in a funny way like MGS games? I mean when you put your birthday date and when it's the day, you get a funny event or special cake like in MGS2 or MGSV funny birthday party. I want to celebrate this day in such games. :p

Knurek

Why the fuck is CompatTelRunner constantly scanning all of my games.
Why the fuck is it running even despite me actively disabling bloody telemetry shit Microsoft is trying to pull in Win10.
Honestly, constant magnetic drive usage is never a good thing in consumer class drives, is Microsoft being paid by the HDD manufacturer lobby to destroy Windows users drives to ramp up sales?

Xanathus

Played a bit of Homefront, it's not offensively bad as some people try to make it out to be but it's rather similar to the Ubisoft Far Cry games where you go around capturing outposts and climbing towers and filling progress bars. Seems like a game I'd play during a gaming drought.

I'm playing it right now and I'm really liking it. Sure a bunch of things seem budget and shallow but I think it looks good so that makes up for it. The combat is little weird at first but it's growing on me. The story thus far has been meh but I just came out of the tutorial area so I'm hoping for interesting sidequests..

Just finished my first session, I'm liking it as well.

The map is pretty huge and we can actually go anywhere without restriction. However you'll find monsters higher level than us if we're careless. Loot is also numerous and satisfying, I keep getting gear upgrades every now and then. Skill system is somewhat unique, we get active skills from the equipment. Combat is the usual RTwP, but unfortunately we can only control the main character. Party member is controlled by AI and we can only use their skills manually. RPG aspect is also good, there's always a peaceful or lethal way of dealing with people, whether it's quest giver or bandits. I hope I can find a village or town soon, but according to the world map it's still a long way to go. Pretty excited to play more later tonight.

Some screens.

I've been playing the new Hitman over the last few days. To be precise, I've been playing just the first episode of Hitman and I've put in over 12 hours into it. To be more precise, I've spent over 12 hours playing just the main mission that comes with the first episode. There are so many ways to assassinate your targets in that mission that I haven't run out of new things to discover on the map. I haven't even touched the dozen or so escalation missions which require you to kill 5 separate targets on the map in specific ways, nor have I gotten a chance to try out any of the player created contracts and of course I've missed a bunch of elusive targets because I started the game so late. In short, the game is filled with a metric ton of content and it's all really fun to play. If you're on the fence you should definitely consider getting it. If you're a fan of Hitman then it's a no brainer.

I'm starting Sapienza today and I'm told that it's the single best map of any game to come out in 2016.

There was a video by Kotaku a few days ago that sounds quite true. Hitman Has Become One Of 2016's Best Games. The video shows a couple of assassinations as well.

Played a bit of Homefront, it's not offensively bad as some people try to make it out to be but it's rather similar to the Ubisoft Far Cry games where you go around capturing outposts and climbing towers and filling progress bars. Seems like a game I'd play during a gaming drought.

I hated the first game but I am kind of curious about this one. Sadly the 40GB download size meant someone like me with a slow connection would not be able to try it out. The sale price is pretty cheap in my region but I hesitate after seeing the mostly negative reviews and generally poor word of mouth.

Hektor

Not really related to my feelings, but it'll be interesting to see the writer/director's next game. I hope he goes for a more standalone experience next time. Which is one of the main reasons I still consider 999 one of the best games out there. Dark and singular really helped that out. When you start getting into
time travel
stuff. You can only do so much before it just messes with everyone. So hopefully he stays away from that and just makes some stories that have the player think in otherways.

I hope that too. I really liked ZTD overall, but it felt like the game always fell apart whenever it started connecting to VLR in some form.

It always had this jarring shift from the SAW-like kidnapping games they were playing to
the wonderous world of Spacetime shifting and C O M P L E X M O T I V E S
that didn't really fit together.

I think it would've been a lot better if ZTD would have been it's own standalone game.

I also enjoyed 999 the most of all three, since it was the most grounded in reality outside
the Morphogenetic fields son!

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Unforgiving Trials: The Darkest Crusade -- MB-D8972218FB5414CD - Taken by rainking187

jonno394

Just started Tales of Zestiria using the 60fps fix. Game runs great with a lock at 60, and cutscenes locked at 30fps (i've read people have issues if this isnt chosen), but when exploring and the characters starting talking while you're still in control (ie story related stuff), the game drops noticeably, is this because the game is treating it similarly to a cutscene?

Xanathus

Just started Tales of Zestiria using the 60fps fix. Game runs great with a lock at 60, and cutscenes locked at 30fps (i've read people have issues if this isnt chosen), but when exploring and the characters starting talking while you're still in control (ie story related stuff), the game drops noticeably, is this because the game is treating it similarly to a cutscene?

Never had that problem using the fix, 60fps whole game except during movies.

jonno394

Never had that problem using the fix, 60fps whole game except during movies.

I just went in to the tool and removed the "30fps during cutscenes" and my issue has disappeared. Will see what happens going forward

edit - an example about 90 minutes in to the game to show what type of scene I was talking about
when you're chasing the dog through the town after the "fox" assassin guy, when Sorey and Mikelo are talking as you chase the dog (and all other buttons do nothing), the game was at 30fps, as soon as they stopped talking it went back to 60fps
Removed the setting and all runs fine as mentioned now.

Ludens

Banned
So, regarding The Girl and The Robot, I completed it, but be aware: the game doesn't provide an end. When you in fact complete it, you receive the message "End of Act 1".
I asked a clarification about this, because on the store page there's no mention about the game being uncomplete or episodic. I don't know if Act 2 will come as a free update, if it will be a new game or whatever, but I think the fact the game is uncomplete/episodic should be stated on the store page.

Regarding the game itself, I really enjoyed it. If you like Ico, it's very similar, but there are some issues:
-way too often you have no idea where you need to send the robot and where the girl: this translate in a trial and error gameplay, in which you can only learn after dying. Not a fan of this.
-some puzzles can be skipped if you let one of the character die: in example I was stuck with the robot in a room. After I triggered a checkpoint with the girl, I died, and the game spawned the robot in the right location, skipping that puzzle.
-some bugs in and here, expecially in a mid-game boss fight (a tip: start the fight impersonating the girl, with the robot the game always glitches.
-you can't skip cutscenes. For some of the you can fast-forward, but others are unskippable.

Ban Puncher

I'm in dire need of a computer desk. I'm so torn. I've been eyeballing this one:

I'm looking for something that compliments my office/game room. I have wine barrel furniture in there. So I'm looking for something that gives an industrial/rustic/modern vibe. I don't want to make a thread for this because it seems menial and ones like it deal with ikea and/or have pricks who are condescending because a desk costs over a 100 bucks.

Get two wine barrels or a bunch of cinder blocks on either side and buy an uncut wooden door from your local hardware store. Or steal a door.

Boom. Desk.

Uzzy

Now that Jose's ruined my weekend, time to finish the Witcher 3. Maybe. Provided I don't get dragged off into any more multihour side quests.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Get two wine barrels or a bunch of cinder blocks on either side and buy an uncut wooden door from your local hardware store. Or steal a door.

Boom. Desk.

Take a razor blade or sharp knife and run it across the drywall a few times in the room you're setting up. Peel the drywall back towards yourself until it's at the right height.

Murphy bed computer desk.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Turnover -- MB-30EE1089211FB514 - Taken by dimmer. 20 entrants total.

t1473519973z1.png

Grief.exe

Has there been a gaming drought at any time this year? I feel like I've been constantly inundated with releases, and I've even skipped some high profile ones like Stardew Valley, Hyper light Drifter, Deus Ex, Rimworld, and more.

fantomena

Has there been a gaming drought at any time this year? I feel like I've been constantly inundated with releases, and I've even skipped some high profile ones like Stardew Valley, Hyper light Drifter, Deus Ex, Rimworld, and more.

For me at least, there hasn't been much good releases lately.

Homefront is a good podcast/Netflix game, it's more enjoyable the less think about it. It's like a really shallow Far Cry game with 100% more Freedom and Patriotism.

Arthea

no, there wasn't
2016 is shaping to be the hell of a year
and it isn't getting any less packed with must have games too
we still have 4 months of this insanity to survive

hopefully 2017 will be a tad less intense

AHA-Lambda

Yup, 2016 has been amazing so far. And it's still months to 2017.

Brilliant year.
But strangely, much like last year, I'd say the first half has been better than 2nd half (well going by what's coming out soon).

Q1 2017 looks great though:

Resident Evil 7
Sniper Elite 4
The Fall 2
Bleed 2
To the Moon 2
Hand of Fate 2
Mass Effect 4
Yooka-Laylee
Torment: Tides of Numenera

I'm convinced Q1 is the new Q4 for great titles frankly.

Kinda "sad" to see what happened to GamingOT.

I still remember the reactions when I bought my 4K TV at the beginning of the year.
"4k is still a long way to go."
"No one needs 4k yet."
"4k is useless right now. It will take 4-5 years till it becomes standard."
"1080p is enough!"

And now you have like thousands of replies in threads about 4k and HDR where it seems that because of the PS4Pro 4k is the best thing ever...

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Kinda "sad" to see what happened to GamingOT.

I still remember the reactions when I bought my 4K TV at the beginning of the year.
"4k is still a long way to go."
"No one needs 4k yet."
"4k is useless right now. It will take 4-5 years till it becomes standard."
"1080p is enough!"

And now you have like thousands of replies in threads about 4k and HDR where it seems that because of the PS4Pro 4k is the best thing ever...

Well it seems like fanboy logic. Its not relevant until my favorite system does it. Personally Im still fine with 1080p and dont see the need to move to 4k just yet.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Hiiro -- MB-88B4FB398C8F3BC3 - Taken by Kifimbo
Plazma Being -- MB-93AA6D61E41BE298 - Taken by Costa1774

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom