• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

C4rter

Homefront is a good podcast/Netflix game, it's more enjoyable the less think about it. It's like a really shallow Far Cry game with 100% more Freedom and Patriotism.

That's pretty accurate.
I really want to finish it for free but I don't think that will happen time wise. I won't pay 24€ for it, because it's not worth it. It's not bad, it's fast and it doesn't hurt, but it's a bit too far away from being good to be worth 24€
So it will probably be added to the "started but never finished" pile.

Kinda "sad" to see what happened to GamingOT.

I still remember the reactions when I bought my 4K TV at the beginning of the year.
"4k is still a long way to go."
"No one needs 4k yet."
"4k is useless right now. It will take 4-5 years till it becomes standard."
"1080p is enough!"

And now you have like thousands of replies in threads about 4k and HDR where it seems that because of the PS4Pro 4k is the best thing ever...
Sadly it's the same way with how some phone companies will introduce some new feature and people don't care about it or feel it is necessary and a year later apple puts it in their iPhone and people will sing those features from the rooftop and say it is revolutionary. Something only matters when your favorite company or the company you are with does it.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
That's not a new thing for gaming OT or gaf in general.

It makes my defense of Monsanto seem weak. I need more shill bucks.

Grief.exe

Kinda "sad" to see what happened to GamingOT.

I still remember the reactions when I bought my 4K TV at the beginning of the year.
"4k is still a long way to go."
"No one needs 4k yet."
"4k is useless right now. It will take 4-5 years till it becomes standard."
"1080p is enough!"

And now you have like thousands of replies in threads about 4k and HDR where it seems that because of the PS4Pro 4k is the best thing ever...

2005-2013
1080p is garbage, the eye can't even see that many pixels.
2013-present
1080p is the future. Mark Cerney the god.

The PS4 has been out since 2013 and still has a mediocre library with few compelling exclusives. This has been the worst generation, I've never waited this long to buy a console.

AHA-Lambda

but how do i actually pull those off? cos the game ain't bloody showing me stuff like that

christ, i had to google how to take cover
and actual weaponry combat with many enemies is just plain unsatisfying, especially with bigger/armoured enemies

2005-2013
2013-present

The PS4 has been out since 2013 and still has a mediocre library with few compelling exclusives. This has been the worst generation, I've never waited this long to buy a console.

actually I'd argue this gen has been great so far, better than the first years of 360/ps3 for sure

it's just that there is no convincing argument to own more than one system anymore (apart from a nintendo system on the side maybe)

kagamin

My 900p monitor will continue to serve me well, I can just downsample anyways, that's what I did with Valkyria Chronicles and that game looks great at 4k.

ku-medium.gif

insane clown posse?

Grief.exe

My 900p monitor will continue to serve me well, I can just downsample anyways, that's what I did with Valkyria Chronicles and that game looks great at 4k.

The upgrade to a 4K OLED monitor when they become more viable is going to be a revelation.

actually I'd argue this gen has been great so far, better than the first years of 360/ps3 for sure

it's just that there is no convincing argument to own more than one system anymore (apart from a nintendo system on the side maybe)

You're probably not remembering how good the 360 was in the early years. It had an impressive lineup of exclusive titles.

Jawmuncher

I've done 4 chapters of Resi 6 now.

Yeah... I don't understand why some like this or ardently defend it ._.

THIS IS THE BEST RESPONSE I HAVE EVER SEEN.
If you can't get into RE6 with it's lows, you don't deserve at it's best.
Everytime I see some GIFs, I get in the mood to play some Mercenaries.

-------------

Since we're talking about this generation of games. I gotta say I am still hugely unimpressed.
Most of my favorite games thus far, could have been on the last gen consoles. Hell one of them is (MGSV)
If I had just a PC, even with a lowly GTX 660 I wouldnt even need the other consoles.

kagamin

The upgrade to a 4K OLED monitor when they become more viable is going to be a revelation.

Spending less money on a monitor works when you're trying to keep costs down, I mean hell before I used this monitor I got for cheap I was using an old 4:3 monitor with a DVI to VGA adapter.

AHA-Lambda

You're probably not remembering how good the 360 was in the early years. It had an impressive lineup of exclusive titles.

First 3 years of 360? yeah I can't remember much now tbh =/
I can't think of anything else aside from Halo 3 exclusives wise from 2005-2008

And indie output then was pretty much null aside from Braid by then

Jawmuncher

but how do i actually pull those off? cos the game ain't bloody showing me stuff like that

and actual weaponry combat with many enemies is just plain unsatisfying, especially with bigger/armoured enemies

The game is really bad at explaining its mechanics.

The TL;DR is Quickshot, then melee attack.

A lenghtier guide is here http://www.neoseeker.com/resident-evil-6/walkthrough/Melee_Basics

The melee is indeed a huge part of the game. But I agree the tutorial mechnics suck. I also have some tips in the OT I made for the PS4/XB1 release.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1201510&highlight=resident+evil+6

But some quick help
Laying on the ground, or in cover restores stamina quicker.
Enemies still stagger from headshots or other body shots. It's just not as exaggerated like in RE4/5.
When enemies are staggered you can do those sweet moves.
If you're having trouble with ammo buy skill points that drop more ammo. You can also buy skill points that increase either melee or weapon damage.

First 3 years of 360? yeah I can't remember much now tbh =/
I can't think of anything else aside from Halo 3 exclusives wise from 2005-2008

And indie output then was pretty much null aside from Braid by then

Gears 1, Mass Effect , Ass Creed, Dead Rising, Dead Space, are the first that come to mind.

Jawmuncher

No, I don't think people love RE6 because of wrestling move melee attacks.

But that's why I love it though.
The character, plus the melee gameplay is delicious.
If it helps make any more sense, i'm the guy that gets a kick out of just using the chainsaw in gears or disemboweling in Dead Rising. That raw power is always so satisfying to see.

This is partly why I think MGR kinda sucks unless you're using the Upgraded Fox Blade.
Raiden getting punked by regular cops and cyborg gorillas? lol WOW what a great cyborg ninja.
Grey Fox wouldn't have put up with that shit.

fantomena

I will still go with 1080p60fps as long as my monitor doesn't tell me goodnight.

My Strix 1080 is overkill for 1080p60fps. But I take that as a very good thing since it only means it will last me longer.

Nillansan

I will still go with 1080p60fps as long as the my monitor doesn't tell me goodnight.

My Strix 1080 is overkill for 1080p60fps. But I take that as a very good thing since it only means it will last me longer.

Well, you might as well do some down-sampling with that setup.

Xanathus

Has there been a gaming drought at any time this year? I feel like I've been constantly inundated with releases, and I've even skipped some high profile ones like Stardew Valley, Hyper light Drifter, Deus Ex, Rimworld, and more.

Eh it's not so much a real "drought" as much as a "I'm too cheap to buy games new so I play old games while waiting for a sale".

MUnited83

For you.

It has been a good gen in terms of third party multiplatform games.

It has been absolutely terrible in terms of exclusives.

yuraya

2005-2013
2013-present

I find it funny Sony jumped from 1080p to 1440p checkbboard stuff when the only open world 60fps game on consoles this gen has been MGSV. It really just shows how little these companies care about framerate. The nerve of Sony to say that they have maxed out 1080p displays during that meeting. Even bigger nerve to say they are trying to compete with PC now.

gelf

I struggle to feel impressed by a bunch of short gifs showcasing animations like that in a game as there is no context to how they actually work in practice. It's like watching a bunch of QTE sequences.

I mean I love the majority of Platinum's games but its a good thing I know there's more to playing them then just the QTE finishing moves that make up the majority of gifs people tend to post from thier games.

Jawmuncher

I struggle to feel impressed by a bunch of short gifs showcasing animations like that in a game as there is no context to how they actually work in practice. It's like watching a bunch of QTE sequences.

I mean I love the majority of Platinum's games but its a good thing I know there's more to playing them then just the QTE finishing moves that make up the majority of gifs people tend to post from thier games.

They're not QTEs though. They're context prompts. You stun an enemy and then press the melee button. With different moves depending on location and timing. There's also more gameplay as a whole. I can get maybe not understanding the bigger picture from just these GIFs. But at the end of the day the finisher moves are the reward for doing good with the gameplay mechanics. Which are more varied than people give them credit for.

Not really getting on you, but your comment here is the extent of me going
bayonetta-climax-pt-2-o.gif

Is this all you do in Bayonetta? Do a QTE move?

Most of the time when people post GIFs, it's so people can get a quick understanding of maybe why they should take a look at the game. Rather than just try to solely judge it.

Tizoc

2005-2013
2013-present

That 1080p thing is a joke right? My hdtv could putput 1080p long before instarted pc gaming

Jawmuncher

Thanks. Mercenaries was so good in Resident Evil 6, I didn't enjoy the campaign all that much though.

The campaign has some highs but definitely more lows throughout. I don't think it's abysmally bad like some do. But it's definitely the weakest out of the 3 action games. Mercenaries really lets the game shine though.

Kaleinc

Banned

The best part of re6 is counters where pressing a button right before enemy attack connects rewards the player with kewl animation high damage move. Unlike Platinum's hold forward and mash light attack in mgr and worst case scenario you just block in re6 you have to time inputs.

mp1990

Banned
They're not QTEs though. They're context prompts. You stun an enemy and then press the melee button. With different moves depending on location and timing. There's also more gameplay as a whole. I can get maybe not understanding the bigger picture from just these GIFs. But at the end of the day the finisher moves are the reward for doing good with the gameplay mechanics. Which are more varied than people give them credit for.

Not really getting on you, but your comment here is the extent of me going
bayonetta-climax-pt-2-o.gif

Is this all you do in Bayonetta? Do a QTE move?

Most of the time when people post GIFs, it's so people can get a quick understanding of maybe why they should take a look at the game. Rather than just try to solely judge it.
You're missing his point. He's not saying that those prompts are QTEs, or that the gameplay boils down to that, but that those flashy moves gifs don't give us the real picture of the gameplay itself, so it's hard to see why would that convince anyone of playing the game. Would be the same thing of, using your own example, using a Bayonetta execution gif as an argument to convince someone to give it a try, it doesn't tell anything about how complex the game's mechanics are, or even how the game plays.

Jawmuncher

You're missing his point. He's not saying that those prompts are QTEs, or that the gameplay boils down to that, but that those flashy moves gifs don't give us the real picture of the gameplay itself, so it's hard to see why would that convince anyone of playing the game. Would be the same thing of, using your own example, using a Bayonetta execution gif as an argument to convince someone to give it a try, it doesn't tell anything about how complex the game's mechanics are, or even how the game plays.

Can you really have GIFs that go to that extent?
I feel I covered myself pretty well with the added bit. The GIFs to me should make someone go "Hmmm, maybe i'll check a gameplay video". Thus why they all focus on the executions or payoffs for learning the gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom