• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

I finally 100%ed AdVenture Capitalist yesterday. Say what you will about this kind of game, but starting it up for 5 minutes had become such a part of my morning routine, I think I already felt withdrawal symptoms this morning, lol

I'm such a filthy casual.

how did you do that? I play it since the beginning (well, play is too high of a word for this process), more than a year, I'm nowhere close to 100%.
Actually checked and I'm at 61% only

I used to run with a PS Move controller and mouse. It worked well if you could get it working but a lot of games would wig out.

I play most non-FPS games with a controller now so there is not much point.

venomenon

Yeah, looking forward to its non-EA release, I'll start once achievements are implemented.

I might have to look into this for scientific reasons. The game mechanics might be appealing *cough*

how did you do that? I play it since the beginning (well, play is too high of a word for this process), more than a year, I'm nowhere close to 100%.
Actually checked and I'm at 61% only
Just resetting at appropriate times (there are guides for this in the Steam community) and taking part in the events to get gold bars which can be invested in time warps. There were times when I didn't touch it for 2 weeks or so because resetting would not have been useful. In the end, it's just a matter of time.
I'm not sure how long I've been playing, I think I started before they introduced the additional planets, whenever that was. Never used glitches or invested real money.

Doom is great, despite the frantic pace it becomes second nature after a few encounters, making it a lot of fun to play. Hope it doesn't get repetitive with all the balls to the wall action, I've only played an hour so far.
I really needed something with this pure arcade simplicity for a change.

Knurek

Arthea, just wanted to let you know that Echoes of Aetheria is legit.
Not Skyborn good, but legit nevertheless. First time I'm seeing Bioware 'talk with your party at camp' style of character building in an RPG Maker game.
Somewhat longer than Skyborn, especially if you go for 100% achievements.

Arthea

Just resetting at appropiate times (there are guides for this in the Steam community) and taking part in the events to get gold bars which can be invested in time warps. There were times when I didn't touch it for 2 weeks or so because resetting would not have been useful. In the end, it's just a matter of time.
I'm not sure how long I've been playing, I think I started before they introduced the additional planets, whenever that was. Never used glitches or invested real money.

Apparently I'm not paying enough attention, I haven't noticed they did add mars cheevos, so now I'm at 68% in a second.
I don't even know what appropriate time is, I reset when I reset. I'll get to 100% in another two years maybe

Arthea, just wanted to let you know that Echoes of Aetheria is legit.
Not Skyborn good, but legit nevertheless. First time I'm seeing Bioware 'talk with your party at camp' style of character building in an RPG Maker game.
Somewhat longer than Skyborn, especially if you go for 100% achievements.

entirely too many games atm
but I'll keep in mind, thanks

Knurek

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

This part of the Tinybuild story never made any sense to me. Why shouldn't they be able to generate a list of keys that were purchased with fraudulent credit card transactions? They should have a database entry for every transaction ID and the corresponding key. If the transaction is charged back you know exactly which key was given out in that order. Now they're not obligated to share that information with G2A, but they could easily send those keys to Valve to get them disabled. In either case I don't see any reason to start a witch hunt against G2A unless there was some specific information that it was the actual G2A people carrying out the fraudulent transactions.

I have zero expectations that this will come to pass.

Oh, I don't doubt it'll come to pass he'll be hired guns. What does get me is why they keep insisting on hard iterative narratives in their sequels while doing that.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Hey, don't be mean.

Videogames are a weird nexus point for the technology obsessed and the entertainment consumer. You can be interested in and have a deep understanding of either to varying degrees or not at all.

dex3108

Mafia 3 System Requirements are here

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

• OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 64-bit
  • INTEL CPU: I5-2500K
  • AMD CPU: AMD FX-8120
  • RAM: 6GB
  • AMD GPU: Radeon HD7870
  • NVIDIA GPU: GeForce GTX 660
  • VIDEO MEMORY: 2GB
  • HD: 50GB (free space)

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

• OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 64-bit
  • INTEL CPU: I7-3770
  • AMD CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.0 Ghz
  • RAM: 8 GB AMD
  • AMD GPU: Radeon R9 290X
  • NVIDIA GPU: GeForce GTX 780 or GeForce GTX 1060
  • VIDEO MEMORY: 4GB
  • HD: 50GB (free space)

https://mafiagame.com/en/news/view/en-mafia-3-pc-system-requirements-revealed

Doom is great, despite the frantic pace it becomes second nature after a few encounters, making it a lot of fun to play. Hope it doesn't get repetitive with all the balls to the wall action, I've only played an hour so far.
I really needed something with this pure arcade simplicity for a change.

Keep an eye on the weapon challenges. Almost every weapon has two firing modes, and you'll be unlocking new weapons all the way up to the last couple of levels. It never gets boring if you keep switching your weapons and combat style.

Wok

Mafia 3 System Requirements are here

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

https://mafiagame.com/en/news/view/en-mafia-3-pc-system-requirements-revealed

Now that I think about it, is there a proper definition of minimal requirements? Or is it, as I suspect, to the discretion of the development studio?

Let us say I have exactly the min requirements for Mafia III, so I launch the game in 1080p but with every other graphical setting set to its lowest possible, will I be able to play with at least 30 fps?

MUnited83

For you.
He was banned for posting Hillary related conspiracy.

Hillary Clinton shipped with Pneunomia Playback capability back in 1947.We can see this in DNC agreements of the SNS agreements of 36, which were built to be RFTA compliable. Almost 69 years later, she finally got the update to enable it. This was thanks to the Streptococcus 3.0 update which finally brings it up to FNLS standards.

#ThanksSony

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hilary Clinton was the first lady during most of the 90s.

When did Nintendo's utter betrayal of Sony happen?

Just think about it for yourself for once.

Hillary Clinton shipped with Pneunomia Playback capability back in 1947.We can see this in DNC agreements of the SNS agreements of 36, which were built to be RFTA compliable. Almost 69 years later, she finally got the update to enable it. This was thanks to the Streptococcus 3.0 update which finally brings it up to FNLS standards.

#ThanksSony
No, no, he was saying pneumonia was the update to activate Parkinson's functionality.

Now that I think about it, is there a proper definition of minimal requirements? Or is it, as I suspect, to the discretion of the development studio?

Let us say I have exactly the min requirements for Mafia III, so I launch the game in 1080p but with every other graphical setting set to its lowest possible, will I be able to play with at least 30 fps?
It's up to the studio. Nixxes, for example, explained that Deus Ex minimum was for low settings, 720p and 30fps iirc.

Uraizen

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Uraizen, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Batman: Arkham Knight -- MB-130328058BC94575 - Taken by Benedict. 89 entrants total.

t1473783564z1.png

Parsnip

Boop. Two in a row, ha.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Parsnip, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Batman: Arkham Knight -- MB-505EC4A0560281C6 - Taken by TheLetdown. 59 entrants total.

t1473708056z1.png

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Twice the Batmans. I really enjoyed the previous games but haven't played AK. I guess I have a couple of chances to do so now!

Shadow of Mordor is really scratching that Batman itch right now though, at least in terms of combat. I'm not sure whether the world is as interesting but that might be because I keep forgoing the storyline quests in favour of beating up orcs.

Xanathus

Hmm, just noticed that the base price for the Arkham Knight season pass on Steam dropped by $10 2 months ago. Might consider just getting that there since I'm making my way through the game a 2nd time.

Grimalkin

How does he know how much $I is? Does he really think the overwhelming amount of keys are stolen?

As a PC game dev that just got out of the industry I can say "Fuck yes" to that one. The vast majority of keys on these key reselling sites are stolen or otherwise not legitimate. And yes, we know the keys are stolen for reasons I will explain below. Fraud is a huge issue that costs developers of all sizes a lot of money and these key reselling sites are currently the #1 place the fraudulent charges come from.

How does a developer know a key is stolen? Because the credit card companies will let us know with both an invoice and when a credit card chargeback happens not only does the developer lose the money from the sale but the devs are also charged a penalty from the credit card company for "allowing" the fraud to occur in the first place.

I worked on a AAA online PC game and our fraud penalties just from credit card companies was in the millions of dollars per month. Brainstorming solutions to try and stop these thieves was a big concern and yes, time and money was diverted from developing improvements to the actual game because the fraud was costing us so much money.

I'm not telling you that you shouldn't buy from G2A and similar places but know it does have a very real cost to developers and in turn how fast you, the consumer, get updates/improvements/new stuff. Maybe you say, "Fuck 'em, fraud's their problem" but it's also your problem when they have to address this gaping fraud hole that's bleeding out at an alarming rate.

That's just covering straight-up stolen keys. There are other issues where these sites can get a hold of keys in such a way that the developer isn't paid for them. We once had an issue with Green Man Gaming keys. They were getting keys that we (the devs) weren't being paid for, which we thought was odd since we had given them a bunch. It turns out that our game was so popular that they rapidly ran out of the keys we generated for them and one of the foreign branches of our publisher was generating thousands of "promo keys" of our game and selling them to GMG. When we figured out what was going on and reported it to the main branch, the publisher put a stop to it but we were never compensated for the "promo keys". This wasn't GMG's fault, and I'm not blaming GMG as how were they to know, but the devs still got fucked in the end.

What it comes down to is if you want to support a developer, buy from Steam or GOG, even on a 90% off sale. If you just want the cheapest price, period, keep buying from G2A and the like but know that the developer is very likely not seeing a single cent of your money.

This part of the Tinybuild story never made any sense to me. Why shouldn't they be able to generate a list of keys that were purchased with fraudulent credit card transactions? They should have a database entry for every transaction ID and the corresponding key. If the transaction is charged back you know exactly which key was given out in that order. Now they're not obligated to share that information with G2A, but they could easily send those keys to Valve to get them disabled. In either case I don't see any reason to start a witch hunt against G2A unless there was some specific information that it was the actual G2A people carrying out the fraudulent transactions.

That's not how keys are generated. They aren't generated on-demand on a per-purchase basis, there's no infrastructure in place to do that. They are typically generated in giant batches and we hand them off to legit storefronts, then when the storefront gets low on keys they notify the devs and the devs generate more and send another batch. Also they typically only come in 2 flavors, retail keys and promo keys. So no, there's no way to "track" the source of the key. If your key purchased from G2A gets deactivated on steam, that's all steam's doing once they are notified of the fraudulent charge.

Also, when you get the invoice from the CC company it doesn't give you any identifying information for the victim. It doesn't say "Bob Smith's Card # 14593251423 had a fraudulent charge". It tells you the date and source of the fraud. So you know it's say, a stolen Steam key. What I'm saying is devs can't know that a specific key was specifically sold on G2A but it's not hard to figure out in a general sense where the theft is coming from.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
AK is the only Arkham game I don't have on PC, yet

Pleased to see I meet the rec for Mafia 3 - Their GPU recommended is confusing though

Benedict

As a PC game dev that just got out of the industry I can say "Fuck yes" to that one. The vast majority of keys on these key reselling sites are stolen or otherwise not legitimate. And yes, we know the keys are stolen for reasons I will explain below. Fraud is a huge issue that costs developers of all sizes a lot of money and these key reselling sites are currently the #1 place the fraudulent charges come from.

How does a developer know a key is stolen? Because the credit card companies will let us know with both an invoice and when a credit card chargeback happens not only does the developer lose the money from the sale but the devs are also charged a penalty from the credit card company for "allowing" the fraud to occur in the first place.

I worked on a AAA online PC game and our fraud penalties just from credit card companies was in the millions of dollars per month. Brainstorming solutions to try and stop these thieves was a big concern and yes, time and money was diverted from developing improvements to the actual game because the fraud was costing us so much money.

I'm not telling you that you shouldn't buy from G2A and similar places but know it does have a very real cost to developers and in turn how fast you, the consumer, get updates/improvements/new stuff. Maybe you say, "Fuck 'em, fraud's their problem" but it's also your problem when they have to address this gaping fraud hole that's bleeding out at an alarming rate.

That's just covering straight-up stolen keys. There are other issues where these sites can get a hold of keys in such a way that the developer isn't paid for them. We once had an issue with Green Man Gaming keys. They were getting keys that we (the devs) weren't being paid for, which we thought was odd since we had given them a bunch. It turns out that our game was so popular that they rapidly ran out of the keys we generated for them and one of the foreign branches of our publisher was generating thousands of "promo keys" of our game and selling them to GMG. When we figured out what was going on and reported it to the main branch, the publisher put a stop to it but we were never compensated for the "promo keys". This wasn't GMG's fault, and I'm not blaming GMG as how were they to know, but the devs still got fucked in the end.

What it comes down to is if you want to support a developer, buy from Steam or GOG, even on a 90% off sale. If you just want the cheapest price, period, keep buying from G2A and the like but know that the developer is very likely not seeing a single cent of your money.

That's not how keys are generated. They aren't generated on-demand on a per-purchase basis. They are typically generated in giant batches and we hand them off to legit storefronts, then when the storefront gets low on keys they notify the devs and the devs generate more and send another batch. Also they typically only come in 2 flavors, retail keys and promo keys. So no, there's no way to "track" the source of the key.

Also, when you get the invoice from the CC company it doesn't give you any identifying information for the victim. It doesn't say "Bob Smith's Card # 14593251423 had a fraudulent charge". It tells you the date and source of the fraud. So you know it's say, a stolen Steam key. What I'm saying is we can't know that a specific key was specifically sold on G2A but it's not hard to figure out in a general sense where the theft is coming from.

Wow, thanks for the insight. Is it OK if I post your answer on a Swedish game-forum?

Parsnip

That's not how keys are generated. They aren't generated on-demand on a per-purchase basis, there's no infrastructure in place to do that. They are typically generated in giant batches and we hand them off to legit storefronts, then when the storefront gets low on keys they notify the devs and the devs generate more and send another batch. Also they typically only come in 2 flavors, retail keys and promo keys. So no, there's no way to "track" the source of the key. If your key purchased from G2A gets deactivated on steam, that's all steam's doing once they are notified of the fraudulent charge.

Also, when you get the invoice from the CC company it doesn't give you any identifying information for the victim. It doesn't say "Bob Smith's Card # 14593251423 had a fraudulent charge". It tells you the date and source of the fraud. So you know it's say, a stolen Steam key. What I'm saying is devs can't know that a specific key was specifically sold on G2A but it's not hard to figure out in a general sense where the theft is coming from.
This is a good post.

Is there a deal anywhere or is it just a coincidence ?
I just grabbed the Arkham Knight + Season pass bundle from bundle stars as some guessed and took the season pass for myself. Coincidentally they emailed me a -10% coupon too, every bit of saving counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom