• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Sorcery Part 4 is delayed by a week, so next week is even more packed now.

Sep 20
  • Batman TellTale: Episode 2
  • Cossacks 3
  • The Bunker
  • Wheels of Aurelia
Sep 21
  • Pankapu: Episode 1
Sep 22
  • Klang
  • Pavilion: Episode 1
  • Sorcery: Part 4
  • The Uncertain: Episode 1
  • Virginia

There are? Such as? While I don't know if I'll ever finish SpaceChem, I loved all of Infinifactory, and would love to see the... Sandbox Puzzler?... become more of a thing.

I am thinking of:
  • Great Permutator
  • Factorio
  • Big Pharma
  • Sokobond (maybe)

DR1 Frank's model is so weird

like, he's supposed to look fat but he doesn't have a gut and has those giant hulking shoulders

in DR2 he just lets it all go and that's why he's the best Frank

Ucchedavāda;216815704 said:
But pigeons can be sexy:

Wrong pigeon.
latest

Still wrong:

derExperte

Origin still has no simple list view for the library, just pictures. Worst client confirmed yet again.

FIFA 17 demo out.

ME:Catalyst base price reduced to 29,99€.

donny2112

I think Chop Till You Drop would be great with not mud resolution and not mud framerates. Add mouse and keyboard and you've got an alright time going.

Wiimote aiming ala RE4 was nice to finally see again in a game. Yeah, would've been better with more power behind it for clearer pictures, though.

Ozium

?

They will patch it, i mean

Well aside from that we got pretty much every single feature of don't starve on PC

i mean

who really cares about achievements? between that and split-screen it's pretty obvious what actually matters right

I'm sure some people want achievements but don't give a shit about split screen

I like Spacechem and Infinifactory, but TIS-100 was just too much for me and this looks like more of that unfortunately.

TIS is basically pseudocode and benefitted greatly from a mild interest or toe dipped into code to really show itself, I think.

Not to say that you don't have either, just how it felt to me.

Fanto, start with Titan Quest unless you've played an ARPG recently. It really has its feet under itself, if at times it may feel dated due to quality of life advancements in the genre.

Arthea

just bought Doom as my 5000th game (not on steam, so won't bother with review)

and here is little something to celebrate this event, in hopes that now I'll stop buying games at last

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Arthea, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky -- MB-F79E40964ED28338 - Taken by septicore. 22 entrants total.

t1473820663z1.png

Jawmuncher

The developer said that achievements don't gel with their vision of the game, which Klei has stuck to. Sony mandates Achievements for their releases, and Klei was forced to oblige.

I personally don't care, BUT I will say that excuse is pretty lame.
"I have a high artisitc integrity, but for some extra money I will look past that".

If they felt so strongly about it, they wouldn't have put the game on PS4. That's the way I see it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
great? for reals?
You are aware that most people buy games outside steam, I'm sure, so why?
it's basically RIP steam rating system and it worked surprisingly good, for me at least.

or are you sarcastic, doesn't look like it if you are.

It is discrimination of poor folks, and we shouldn't be OK with this, but as usual nobody will care.

Errr, you can still write reviews and people can still read your reviews. This prevents developers from using key giveaways to rig reviews, which is an actual problem. I buy tons of keys outside Steam--a lot more than I buy on Steam. I'm not for "discrimination against poor folks" (this is kinda baffling, because there's no connection between buying games outside of Steam and your total game expenditure--mostly it's not people trying to save money, it's people trying to buy more games on the same budget). I'm for making it harder to rig the review system, which this does. Now if you're a developer and you want to rig the review system, it costs a lot of money.

Arthea

Errr, you can still write reviews and people can still read your reviews. This prevents developers from using key giveaways to rig reviews, which is an actual problem. I buy tons of keys outside Steam--a lot more than I buy on Steam. I'm not for "discrimination against poor folks" (this is kinda baffling, because there's no connection between buying games outside of Steam and your total game expenditure--mostly it's not people trying to save money, it's people trying to buy more games on the same budget). I'm for making it harder to rig the review system, which this does. Now if you're a developer and you want to rig the review system, it costs a lot of money.

I'm for not preventing people buying games outside steam from affecting game ratings in any way, and no amount of words can make it right even if a problem is real, there has to be a better solution, so let's agree to disagree.

MUnited83

For you.

There were other ways to do that than what they did, though.

I personally don't care, BUT I will say that excuse is pretty lame.
"I have a high artisitc integrity, but for some extra money I will look past that".

If they felt so strongly about it, they wouldn't have put the game on PS4. That's the way I see it.

Maybe they didn't feel that strongly about it?
I mean, it sounds entirely reasonable to me to that they'd compromise on some small aspect of their game (or whatever) in order to reach a wider audience, while still keeping the game how they prefer it where they have the option to do so. There is probably no reason to be dogmatic about it.

Jawmuncher

Ucchedavāda;216833398 said:
Maybe they didn't feel that strongly about it?
I mean, it sounds entirely reasonable to me to that they'd compromise on some small aspect of their game (or whatever) in order to reach a wider audience, while still keeping the game how they prefer it where they have the option to do so. There is probably no reason to be dogmatic about it.

Maybe, but it's odd to compromise on one platform and not another.

Vlad

I am thinking of:
  • Great Permutator
  • Factorio
  • Big Pharma
  • Sokobond (maybe)

I haven't played beyond the first few levels of Great Permutator, but the levels I did play were all the usual "finish the level using three of this, two of this, and five of this" kind of thing. There didn't seem to be any room for the same level of creativity that you can see in a Zachtronics title.

Factorio is more of a 2d survival game with a focus on production, kind of like what FortressCraft does. Not only that, but you're still just progressing a tech tree. Sure, nobody's going to have the same factory, by its more down to conveyor belt layout. I've seen Infinifactory and SpaceChem solutions that were entirely different from how I approached the level, from start to finish.

I haven't played Big Pharma yet, so I've got no idea on that one.

Sokobond looks more like a block-pushing puzzler than anything like SpaceChem. Sure, it's chemistry themed, but that's about it.

It's probably going to be too much for me, but I'm happy it's a thing.

What I love about the Zachtronics games is that they often give you enough room to be really sloppy. Over the first half of Infinifactory had levels that were way larger than I needed for the solution, but if someone had a clunkier solution, they had the space to implement it. This is really the key thing about these games that really makes them shine. As this video talks about, it's more about inventing A solution as opposed to finding THE solution.

diaspora

It's not often I encounter software as straight up garbage as New Vegas. Christ, I can't even start a new goddamn vanilla game.

Jawmuncher

Ucchedavāda;216833752 said:
It's not so odd when that requirement only exists on one platform.

It will forever be odd to me. The only case where it isn't, would be like the Shovel Knight Third Party stuff. I can get why Kratos and Battletoads aren't in the PC version. As I said it doesn't really matter to me. Like i'm not on a Klei boycott or anything. But this subject i'm always going to give them some shit for.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There were other ways to do that than what they did, though.

If the complaint is "I Am Very Worried Valve Will Close Off Third Party Keys In The Future", then I think the way they did it actually involves less oversight of third party keys (since they are not policing the source of the keys or creating a two-tier system of third party keys or requiring devs to jump through hoops to authenticate where the keys are going. Instead, they just treat third party keys as suspect for review manipulation, which is by definition not true of Steam keys. If instead they had just, for instance, devalued keys that the devs directly give out but allowed third-party purchased keys, they would have to keep track of keys that the devs directly give out, which is more oversight for Valve and a tighter leash.

If the complaint is "I Write Reviews And I'm Mad That I Won't Be A Part Of The Score", I guess I get it but a) you barely counted in the aggregate score to begin with, and b) this creates a bizarre situate where it would have been better for Valve to make this change and lie about making it than to tell the truth (because you'd never notice your review wasn't being counted in the score if you weren't told, so being mad that you were told strikes me as misguided and lashing out).

If the complaint is "I Write Reviews And Now By Default People Won't See My Reviews", I guess I get it. Several of my reviews are the most helpful reviews on their respective games: State of Decay, Lococycle, Walking Dead Survival Instinct, top 5 for Woodle Tree Adventures, top 5 for Submerged, a few others in the top 10 for their respective games. So obviously I like contributing, I write detailed reviews, and I like that they help out people. Now if I write a review from a key I bought somewhere else, fewer people will see it, because reviews default to showing people who bought on Steam. Of course, reviews also started defaulting to recent reviews a while ago, so it's already been the case that my stuff gets lost in the shuffle. I guess it's dispiriting to have your audience shrink, but I think it's more important to have reviews people can trust in aggregate than promote any one reviewer. I guess I am sympathetic to people that use Steam Reviews to generate traffic for their website to make money or something like that, although I'm not sure anyone is entitled to that kind of cross-promotion nor do I think it's probably good in the aggregate to let people do that.

I agree that there are probably other anti-fraud techniques they could have used in place of (or in addition to, hopefully) this one, but I just honestly don't see the problem with the one they chose. They were very transparent in their communication, the magnitude of the problem is enormous--as they disclose very transparently--and this will solve the problem dead in its tracks. So that's a win for me.

As someone who buys a lot of games on and off Steam and has a huge wishlist and spends a lot of time tracking releases, a commitment from Valve to stop shitware developers from gaming the system is very refreshing.

Edit: for transparency, looks like I've purchased 33 games on Steam and 167 third-party keys this year.

Grief.exe

It will forever be odd to me. The only case where it isn't, would be like the Shovel Knight Third Party stuff. I can get why Kratos and Battletoads aren't in the PC version. As I said it doesn't really matter to me. Like i'm not on a Klei boycott or anything. But this subject i'm always going to give them some shit for.

Hundreds of free updates over the years including free expansions, but they were forced into achievements on one platform.

It's just difficult to justify your position beyond an emotional level.

I would love achievements for Don't Starve, but I just shrug my shoulders since I can easily see their justification for their inclusion on console.

Jawmuncher

Hundreds of free updates over the years including free expansions, but they were forced into achievements on one platform.

It's just difficult to justify your position beyond an emotional level.

I would love achievements for Don't Starve, but I just shrug my shoulders since I can easily see their justification for their inclusion on console.

As I said it doesn't affect me, I wouldn't even bother with the achievements.
Just seems like an odd hill for them to refuse to get off of.

AHA-Lambda

Just noticed last episode for Minecraft is now out

Haven't seen anyone report this on gaf or on many other of the big games news sites; what a mess this thing has been

The silence of interest is deafening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom