• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezard

Destiny 2 beta definitely got me interested, the graphics are out of this world and speaking of the world it's very Halo-esque. Kind of makes me want Bungie back doing Halo again. The first mission didn't impress me but the co-op one was great. In the end the combat still feels very MMO:y in that there doesn't appear to be much skill or variety involved, and the world is aesthetically great but feels empty. Not sure I could play the game for 20+ hours without getting bored of the combat. Might still pick it up though if my friends do cause the story and setting appeals to me.

bbd23

oh yea the trails version on GOG got the turbo patch. that should keep me busy until original sin 2. Kinda getting bored of PUBG and DOTA

kagamin

Watching my friends play XCOM 2 like:
hQuVaFC.gif

MUnited83

For you.

I actually bought this during the summer sale but the new Humble Bundle made remember to play it. Really really greatly enjoying the game so far. It might be one of the few games nailing the physics based movement puzzler/platformer.

You guys really should buy that bundle, such great value in the 1$ tier.

Giving away my extra copy

ModBot said:
Instructions for BernardoOne:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BernardoOne, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Human Fall Flat -- MB-4AF998CED5278E25 - Taken by TheGreenArrow. 5 entrants total.

t1504223767z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
He's alright for the most part, but I find his stand on curation one that's actively dangerous and would be highly detrimental to the PC market if it was ever implemented.
how so

i don't like people who make money getting theatrically angry about shit that doesn't matter while standing surrounded by walls of nerd garbage. that's kind a non-negotiable moral value i have and i apply it universally.
if he didn't make money doing it you'd be ok then?

Apparently I missed the Destiny 2 beta.
it's already over lol?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
if he didn't make money doing it you'd be ok then?

i have a separate moral principle that i don't like people not being paid while getting theatrically angry about shit that doesn't matter while standing surrounded by walls of nerd garbage so he'd unfortunately still fall afoul of that one.

zkylon

zkylewd
i have a separate moral principle that i don't like people not being paid while getting theatrically angry about shit that doesn't matter while standing surrounded by walls of nerd garbage so he'd unfortunately still fall afoul of that one.

sounds like a classic case of moral bankruptcy

Mivey

Isn't Jim Sterling shtick that he is always morally corrupt? He rarely has new insights in his show, be he summarizes things well, and I kinda like listening to his non-descript british accent.
Is there a love story somewhere in Trails in the Sky? Pls say yes, pls say yes, pls say yes.
Yes.
Not in the first game though.
Actually, even in the first game, once you meet Olivier. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Watching my friends play XCOM 2 like:
hQuVaFC.gif

It is weird playing war of the chosen and Mario + Rabbids at the same time. I go from not knowing if a 98% chance of hitting a target will happen or not to knowing I will hit a target 100% of the time as long as they are not in cover.

DasFool

Played a bit of the Raid: World War II beta (added to my library for no real reason). Aside from the aesthetic, it is practically a carbon copy of Payday 2. Here's a list:

- The upgrade and progression system is very similar
- The usage of an action key to perform ALL actions
- Baffling stealth system lifted wholesale from Payday 2 (enemies have a vision "meter", you aren't technically seen if the meter doesn't fill)
- The asinine amount of health that the enemies have. At least it made sense in Payday 2, where heavily armored officers are attacking you. Here, it is bare-faced soldiers taking a grenade and 2 pistol headshots and still managing to fight you off.
- Uses the exact same engine and comes with the exact same problems. Namely, aiming is off, your viewpoint is lower than it should be, movement is floaty, weapon switching is clunky
- AI partners that only exist to shoot enemies and not actually assist in the mission objectives

Don't waste your money on this.

FoneBone

Creative Assembly sale on Steam? Nice. After last week's Humble Bundle, I was waiting for the DLC to go on sale again.

(I only got the Nostromo levels. I know they're super short, but for $1 apiece I'm fairly sure I can get enough out of them to justify the purchase.)

Sarcasm

Played a bit of the Raid: World War II beta (added to my library for no real reason). Aside from the aesthetic, it is practically a carbon copy of Payday 2. Here's a list:

- The upgrade and progression system is very similar
- The usage of an action key to perform ALL actions
- Baffling stealth system lifted wholesale from Payday 2 (enemies have a vision "meter", you aren't technically seen if the meter doesn't fill)
- The asinine amount of health that the enemies have. At least it made sense in Payday 2, where heavily armored officers are attacking you. Here, it is bare-faced soldiers taking a grenade and 2 pistol headshots and still managing to fight you off.
- Uses the exact same engine and comes with the exact same problems. Namely, aiming is off, your viewpoint is lower than it should be, movement is floaty, weapon switching is clunky
- AI partners that only exist to shoot enemies and not actually assist in the mission objectives

Don't waste your money on this.

You got it because you own Payday 2 >.>

MUnited83

For you.
Interesting, groupees has a crapload of bundles with Udemy style lessons. I think I might actually pick them up to finally use the expensive coins I have still

low-G

i don't like people who make money getting theatrically angry about shit that doesn't matter while standing surrounded by walls of nerd garbage. that's kind a non-negotiable moral value i have and i apply it universally.

Amazing how many AVGN copycats there have been.

It's not like it's the first game he's been in. He was the voice of the bomb in Starship Titanic, and he was the voice of the musket-wielding Sir Roderick Ponce von Fontlebottom the Magnificent Bastard in Jade Empire. And that's just off the top of my head. He's also pushing 80, so it's not like he's going to start being choosy about scripts and/or caring about his comedic legacy.

Aaron D.

But...you posted support repeatedly in that thread suggesting everyone should Review Bomb any devs who have Denuvo DRM attached to their games.

MUnited83

For you.
But...you posted support repeatedly in that thread suggesting everyone should Review Bomb any devs who have Denuvo DRM attached to their games.

I'm not sure how your comparison works. People aren't being paid for those reviews, and something having a malicious DRM does matter, so...

Aaron D.

"people not being paid while getting theatrically angry about shit that doesn't matter" is the entire crux of that Scorched Earth approach to Denuvo DRM thread on Gaming side.

MUnited83

For you.
"people not being paid while getting theatrically angry about shit that doesn't matter" is the entire crux of that Scorched Earth approach to Denuvo DRM thread on Gaming side.

I mean, if you don't know what "theatrically means" and you have some fucked up definition of what "doesn't matter", that might make some sense.

Then again you're the one calling people "entitled" for not wanting some motherfucking DRM that makes your purchases tied to activation servers.

Aaron D.

I'm not a fan of DRM but I understand why it's in place.

"Entitled" has more to do with a Review-Bombing culture that has no interest in a game's actual quality but rather petulant expectations and demands.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm not a fan of DRM but I understand why it's in place.

"Entitled" has more to do with the Review Bombing culture that has less to do with a game's actual quality and more to do with petulant expectations and demands.

DRM is part of the product being sold. It should absolutely affect reviews. Not wanting shitty DRM on your games isn't "petulant expectation" either.

Aaron D.

Agree to disagree.

We're both anti-DRM.

But the fact remains that Steam's User Review system is broken by disingenuous crusaders.

I get the sentiment, but surgery with an axe instead of a scalpel does a disservice to hard-working & talented developers.

MUnited83

For you.
Agree to disagree.

We're both anti-DRM.

But the fact remains that Steam's User Review system is broken by disingenuous crusaders.

I get the sentiment, but surgery with an axe instead of a scalpel does a disservice to hard-working & talented developers.

People reviewing a product by including part of the product on the review isn't really broken in any way.
Not to mention it seems to be one of the few ways publishers actually listen.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Steam reviews are in a weird place because some people feel like they should be reviews for the games themselves while others believe they should be reviews for the product being sold. Steam itself is a bit wishy-washy by just saying:

Please describe what you liked or disliked about this game and whether you recommend it to others.

So yes, enter what you liked or disliked about the game. But also, enter whether you would recommend this game to others. Many people, myself included, feel like companies adding additional DRM to games is a reason I wouldn't recommend it to my friends.

I guess it just comes down to your personal opinion on whether these reviews should be considered product reviews or game reviews, since Steam is a bit ambiguous on it's intended purpose.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm really surprised at the animosity towards jim sterling here

like calling him like a angry nintendo nerd copycat is the funniest thing lol, what the f

Have you missed everything done in Payday 2? They frequently do videos and crossover promos with basically everyone :p
yeah there was that gus guy from breaking bad now that i remember

still, this feels bad, i like john cleese

It's not like it's the first game he's been in. He was the voice of the bomb in Starship Titanic, and he was the voice of the musket-wielding Sir Roderick Ponce von Fontlebottom the Magnificent Bastard in Jade Empire. And that's just off the top of my head. He's also pushing 80, so it's not like he's going to start being choosy about scripts and/or caring about his comedic legacy.
idk i kind of want him as a companion in an obsidian game or something

Pixieking

Banned
I guess it just comes down to your personal opinion on whether these reviews should be considered product reviews or game reviews, since Steam is a bit ambiguous on it's intended purpose.

Honestly, why not both? A couple of paragraphs about the game, and a disclaimer-style sentence saying there's DRM, and that negatively affected enjoyment. Or reverse it, and have the DRM warning as the first thing someone sees.

So many reviews are just four lines - three about the DRM, and one simple "Game is good" about the game. I get that the game has DRM, but is it otherwise a good game? If so, why did you like it? If you bought it just to leave a review about the DRM, say that. The publishers are going to know anyways.

It's just so infuriating. I literally don't bother reading reviews for games I know have DRM, because there's just no value to them, for me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Steam reviews are in a weird place because some people feel like they should be reviews for the games themselves while others believe they should be reviews for the product being sold. Steam itself is a bit wishy-washy by just saying:

So yes, enter what you liked or disliked about the game. But also, enter whether you would recommend this game to others. Many people, myself included, feel like companies adding additional DRM to games is a reason I wouldn't recommend it to my friends.

so you dont recomend games to your friends, you recomend products.

or do you say "great game, but be warned, it has X drm"?

Let's keep in mind Steam requires purchase (or installation if a free-to-play game) before one is allowed to write a review. Thus, you can't chime in without purchasing and say "I played this game on my PS4 and it's good." You're reviewing the Steam version only. That requirement lends credence to the "product review" idea.

MUnited83

For you.
i'm really surprised at the animosity towards jim sterling here

like calling him like a angry nintendo nerd copycat is the funniest thing lol, what the f

yeah there was that gus guy from breaking bad now that i remember

still, this feels bad, i like john cleese

idk i kind of want him as a companion in an obsidian game or something

It's not exactly disliking him, but there is very little he does that is relevant or informative o anything really.

Jimquisition is just a compilation of hot takes i've already seen posted on GAF the week before
Every thing to do with Steam's crappy games or anything regarding curation is the dumbest, most pointless shit. Trying to paint himself as a "defender of the consumers" despite no one with a brain is getting fooled into buying those games to begin with. It's just endless rambling with no actual point.

Pakkidis

so you dont recomend games to your friends, you recomend products.

or do you say "great game, but be warned, it has X drm"?

I give an overall impression of the game and list if the DRM has affected me negatively.

I know for one game I gave it a thumbs down because securom prevented me from even playing the game which was a common problem with the game, in those instances I have no problem with giving a game a negative review despite how good the game is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom