• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Speaking of cards, why are the majority of badges/cards so lazy? Every so often I'll be vaguely interested in crafting cards to make a badge, and then I'll see what they look like and forget about it. Very rarely do I see badges I'd actually like to have on my profile come along, so I only end up crafting them during summer/winter sales events. Super Time Force Ultra let me down recently, after all the awesome gifs and so on associated with the game the cards and badges are fairly simple.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
How utterly disappointing to see that Mordor only gets 4 Playfire rewards. I guess that's the end of the program.

Yeah, I was really sad to see that. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.
Got 26€ out of it so I can hardly complain

So Nuuvem is still an option for Mordor? Have people gotten keys from them yet? I hear they take their sweet time getting keys out.

It is. I bought it, got the key immediately and registered it on Steam without any problems. Just finished downloading. Will play later today.

Despite being labeled as a new engine called Disrupt it appears to be a Frankenstein job of combining Far Cry's Dunia Engine with parts of Assassin's Creed's Anvil Next as well as stuff from Splinter Cell's Unreal Engine 2.5 base but heavily modified. Black Flag had cheats you could unlock and set the time of day to various settings, I wish that was in Watch_Dogs :(
Weird for a huge company like Ubi to not have one unified engine which is used across its studios. Instead tweaking and merging and whatnot. Doesn't sound very efficient. They do have over thousand people working on one title, they should make a special task-force developing an engine. Just like EA did with DICE and Frostbite. Seems like UBI would save time and money in the long run this way.
---
DA:O is consistently recommended for those new to the genre.
No, I'd actually say DA:O is a pretty good game to get into the genre. It's not as complex as the old D&D games way less punishing while still offering some depth.
Huh, that's a nice thing to know. Thanks guys.
---
Just want to clarify something, and lactose_intolerant brought up a good point. This game uses ~4.8GB of VRAM (Shadow of Mordor), the closest card that have those cabilities are custom video cards or GTX Titans. I see why they recommended a 6GB card. Will it cause you to lose major frames or experience chugging because of a 800MB VRam usage (if you have a GTX 970/980), no. You will be fine. But I see why they recommended it.
But those with anything less than a 4GB VRAM card (if you want to play with Ultra textures), will experience chugging, so be forewarned.
Hm, I didn't expect VRAM hitting the ceiling so shortly tbh. Figured 2GB VRAM would be enough paired with 8GB RAM to give very good results. Seems I was wrong :(
Devs really orientate around the console faster than I imagined. That's a new bullet point on the checklist for my PC then; 4GB VRAM. Just hope 960 will have that much :/
---
well I'm getting 80fps on average with everything maxed out ... not bad :p I wonder how much lower it'll get when they add those ultra textures
Dayum! Is there any game at all which your rig struggles?
So jelly
---
so much hype for shadows of mordor.. the hype and interest in the game will crash within a week or two...
civ beyond earth will deliver hundreds of hours of enjoyment and be played for years to come--no hype.
neogaf.gif
No matter what hype. I never buy at release.<10 or no deal.
I couldn't even if I wanted, hah.
Something interesting I realized. Games with no (more) hype, already forgotten and old titles; if these still make you really excited when seeing or reading about them, then chances of you actually liking the game are higher then just getting (caught up in) hype with new releases.
---
If you like RPGs at all, you will love DA:O.
So many recommendations. But I will keep strong... 2-3 bucks. It will come. It must.
---
Younger sister, parents.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/ef9de4bdb001d0aa3d5e1be6c6214758/tumblr_mw4m6yBWH71smxplyo1_1280.gif
That what she looks like while watching :p
---
I'll be playing
Forza Horizon 2
tomorrow
Wish I was into racers. So many great games already and coming out soon. Plus these games usually look the most impressive visually.

BruteUA

I would have followed you to Mordor........ but I couldn't get the spare cash together before the lock.

Save me some orcs, I'll get there someday.

Phinor

Wait for new Nvidia drivers.

This shouldn't still be a thing in 2014. If you sell products and advertise SLI as being a feature on your graphic cards, you better damn make sure it actually works on games at the moment of release. Having to wait for days or weeks for a driver update to get SLI support to a specific game just shouldn't be acceptable. The people who buy multiple graphic cards are very likely active gamers and want to play their games when they are released, not random number of days later. If you don't want to release new drivers every week to add SLI support to games that need fixing, you better have a game specific system ie. users can download a small file from your (Nvidia) site and have those files up and ready the day of release, at the latest. Same goes for Crossfire.

P.S. Never used SLI/Crossfire, probably never will.

Shadow of Mordor is a general big release cards always go down even if its a full price title.

FF4 sold less and is also "anime" which keeps it higher. For example Pyrite Heart last I checked cards are still above a dollar. A 5 dollar game with 1 dollar cards.

Haha, Pyrite Heart sounds like a solid investment.

Also, there's a difference between how the market should behave for a full retail release and something that's just been bundled. Mordor's card prices are pretty much nearing bundle fodder lows at the moment.

If you look at the sale history, even at 2am, they were selling for $0.20+. What people need to learn is where to draw the line. If enough people start saying, I "I won't take less than $0.20" for this, it sets the price there -- so if people want to craft that new badge, they'll pay it. I personally have limits that fluxuate depending on the game and what the market is doing -- sometimes I just dump my cards (as I just did with mordor) but with higher priced items, if there's at least a few sitting at the same price, I'll list at the lowest available instead of undercutting so as not to tank the value of the card. But then you still have the one moron who comes along and is like "I'll take $0.10 for it cause I don't want to wait". Once that happens? Good fucking luck.

Tizoc

WOW so it really is like Ass Creed!

WB Play following the steps of Uplay I see.

Well put in like an hour and managed to reach where I stopped last :V
Lesson learned: Wait for the game to synch with cloud then load the game.

So I guess this might be a game Jasec is into

Some collectables and side missions involving collectables too :V

Gonna set the game to 30 FPS max and at high settings as I can.

I dont know why but lately I have the feeling GMG isnt doing that well.
:(
Maybe because Playfire doesn't work?
For me it stopped working. It tracked my games, but relative rewards stay locked, even if Playfire itself shows them as unlocked in the history. Since support is totally useless (every mail I send them, they say me "We started a refresh of your account, wait 48 hours and we will add your rewards it this don't help." So I wait, I send them another mail and they start another refresh :l Usually in the end I manage to obtain rewards, afther three or four mails, waiting a lot of time in the middle. Sometime I just give up).
I just unlinked my Steam account from Playfire and that's all.

Conversely, the only issue I ever had with the service was some of the rewards themselves being grindy or hard to get. But then you can't expect all of them handed over.

I ended up making about $46 from the program but I guess that's all in the past now.

Is mordor really that good? I might bite (maybe in the future), but I don't know how well it'll perform on my config. I have an i5-2500 3.30Ghz and an HD6950 2 GB

Jawmuncher

Is mordor really that good? I might bite (maybe in the future), but I don't know how well it'll perform on my config. I have an i5-2500 3.30Ghz and an HD6950 2 GB

You're looking at medium and low settings with 30fps pretty much locked though at 1080p.

Unless there is a option I am missing or could turn off to improve it. I know if I drop the resolution I might see better performance.

Li Kao

Sorry for the late reply. It depends really as it's not a straight up answer as 'using a second card will make things worse' or 'a dedicated PhysX card always gives a better result'. There's variables which I found are the type of PhysX effect it is, the intensity of said effect, how well the PhysX implementation runs for that game (some are more costly than others for the same effect), the GPU being used to render the game and the GPU being used to do PhysX calculations. Some games like Mirrors Edge and Arkham Asylum and Arkham Origins get a nice boost from a separate card to perform the PhysX jobs (though I'd think any modern day enthusiast card is strong enough on it's own to doe the first two). Borderlands 2 also apparently gets a nice boost for those on older Fermi cards by using a dedicated GPU for PhysX. Mafia II for my setup at the time which had a GTX 480 rendering the game and a 9800GT performing PhysX would grind the game to a halt when PhysX was present as the dedicated card couldn't do the calculation as quick as the other card would render the game. In fact I only get a small boost by using one 780 to render and one to do PhysX. But then there's my messing around with Arkham Origins which gave me better performance disabling SLI and using one card to render the game and the other to take care of PhysX. Metro Last Light perfeormed with about next to no difference and 2033 only made a big difference with the explosion effects (which aren't really predictable).

Regards to using power it will but no where near as much as a GPU at full load. It's hard to tell without running a few tests to know what but it all depends of each card being used. During a game where it's not being used at all there will be the same sort of draw as a idle card at the desktop. Again it's not something I can pluck figures out of the air for as it would need to be tested on an individuals set up but it's not going to be on full blast ever let alone all the time. A 580 is about as power hungry than a 480 and I ran two of them for years and never went above 700 watts for my entire system. A 970 looks to use about half as much power so even with a 580 at full power consumption I'd say less than 700 watts easy (though as a disclaimer do look it up from some tests on power draw of both cards you'd use and don't just take my word for it)

But like anything else with PC's these days if you have the capabilities to run it as an option, like two cards, enough PCIe slots in the right place on your motherboard and a PSU that could power both, try it out and see how you get on. A 580 is a very handy card when it comes to compute so would be at least worth a try on Rhaknar's part and if it doesn't then no biggie but really only he can find that out by testing. There are some user tests on OC.net that might give some insight but all cards are fairly close together in terms of performance where as a 970 is getting on for 33% better at compute and about twice as powerful on the rendering side over a 580.

Ok, so for the record I have a problem with message boards. Well, I also have a problem with social interactions in general but that's another story. What I mean (and yes it will make sense, bear with me) is that I often ask myself if it is worth it to thank someone for a reply when all you actually have to say is 'thank you'. It's not like my post will be of any value to the discussion at large and there is already a lot of OT. I'm not a heartless fucker, just uncomfortable when I have really nothing to say except thanks.
That being said, your answer was top notch, I couldn't allow myself to hesitate here. So : Thank You !

And personally I'm not sold on the idea of using my 560ti as a physx card. Seems too much on a per case basis for the lazy bum that I am. Again, thank you for the clarifications.

Jawmuncher

Haha, Pyrite Heart sounds like a solid investment.

Also, there's a difference between how the market should behave for a full retail release and something that's just been bundled. Mordor's card prices are pretty much nearing bundle fodder lows at the moment.

If you look at the sale history, even at 2am, they were selling for $0.20+. What people need to learn is where to draw the line. If enough people start saying, I "I won't take less than $0.20" for this, it sets the price there -- so if people want to craft that new badge, they'll pay it. I personally have limits that fluxuate depending on the game and what the market is doing -- sometimes I just dump my cards (as I just did with mordor) but with higher priced items, if there's at least a few sitting at the same price, I'll list at the lowest available instead of undercutting so as not to tank the value of the card. But then you still have the one moron who comes along and is like "I'll take $0.10 for it cause I don't want to wait". Once that happens? Good fucking luck.

When the masses can set the price were all in for trouble when it's more of them. Honestly think anime stuff stays high only because perhaps even on steam it's still just a niche.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

It's all still a basic function of supply and demand. There are a lot of people playing Mordor at the moment earning cards, and significantly less so with games like Pyrite Heart and Final Fantasy IV.

Also, the way that trading cards are set up almost everyone has learned not to buy cards when they're expensive (like when a game first releases) and to wait for the price to come down as more people place their cards on the market. It's almost inevitable given the abundant supply of these cards and the small reward they give that the price of the cards almost immediately tanks to nothing. When they're close to worthless, the people who want it will craft the badge. Most people have figured out that a badge, profile background, emoticon, 100xp, and a coupon just aren't worth paying $5 for. The cards that have retained their value are the ones that are offering some balance here: backgrounds that are worth a lot of money, :weed: emoticons, waifu badges, etc.

It's sad, but the trading card market has always been a race to the bottom. How fast it gets there is directly proportionate to the number of people who own the game.

rtcn63

From reviews, it looks like a poor man's AssCreed/Batman but with LoTR lore. So, if you're a big fan of the latter, probably worth it unless you absolutely hate the gameplay systems of the former.

ArjanN

From reviews, it looks like a poor man's AssCreed/Batman but with LoTR lore. So, if you're a big fan of the latter, probably worth it unless you absolutely hate the gameplay systems of the former.

It seems a lot better than any of the latest AssCreed games IMO.

Turfster

When the masses can set the price were all in for trouble when it's more of them. Honestly think anime stuff stays high only because perhaps even on steam it's still just a niche.

Especially stuff like Pyrite heart, which is like, for guuuurlz and gives you teh hoemoe, bro.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It seems a lot better than any of the latest AssCreed games IMO.

From what I've read it seems to be like AC would be without any fat. Which is exactly what I'm looking for. AC is bogged down by so much uninteresting sidestuff, boring missions and an endless tutorial so trimming that down and setting it in the LotR universe sounds good to me.

Phawx

A poor man's batman would just be batman as those games are pretty cheap often now.

Parsnip

Started watching the GB quicklook for Mordor, and it looks neat.
Though it kind of grinds me the wrong way when Brad and Dan immediately start shitting on Assassin's Creed. Opinions and all that but I've never had problems like Dan is describing with AC, and I've seen Brad play AC in some GB show and he's kind of terrible at it too.

Quick looks like these is when I miss the Ryan & Vinny combo the most.

The_Monk

I loved it, finished it on PS3, never got old for me.

Same for me, had my fun with the game and really liked the city at night while it was raining, still have to see how better the PC version is but right now I have others in the backlog to play.

I also got the physical soundtrack of the game (and the art book) which is pretty decent. They did a show during E3 in the past with their orchestra.

Salsa

so this is cool

if you have Pushbullet you can now subscribe to the Steam pushbullet channel "Steam Deals" and get a push notification on your phone instantly (if its android) whenever a game goes on sale.

I don't know if I'd say poor man's Ass Creed and Batman. So far, personally, it seems more enjoyable than Origins at least. I've always disliked Ass Creed so I won't even compare it to that.

Li Kao

Just noticed that there is a pretty huge sale on Origin at the moment. YMMV on the service but I thought it should be mentioned anyway (Crysis 3 for 4.99€, Mass Effect 3 and Warfighter for 2.99€ among others).

jblank83

I don't know if I'd say poor man's Ass Creed and Batman. So far, personally, it seems more enjoyable than Origins at least. I've always disliked Ass Creed so I won't even compare it to that.

Yeah, I loathe AssCreed. I've tried it twice, with both of the supposedly best games in the series (2 and 4). It's so tedious and clunky, not just the reliance on trashy sidequest collectaothon junk, but in mechanics too. Everything is trashy, from running to climbing to AI to combat, and especially story, dialog, and voice acting, IMO.

So when people keep saying Mordor is like AssCreed, that doesn't do anything for me.

The GB QuickLook looks alright so far, though, and explicitly saying it's "like AssCreed but it does everything better" is exactly what I need to hear before I even think about buying/playing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's all still a basic function of supply and demand. There are a lot of people playing Mordor at the moment earning cards, and significantly less so with games like Pyrite Heart and Final Fantasy IV.

Also, the way that trading cards are set up almost everyone has learned not to buy cards when they're expensive (like when a game first releases) and to wait for the price to come down as more people place their cards on the market. It's almost inevitable given the abundant supply of these cards and the small reward they give that the price of the cards almost immediately tanks to nothing. When they're close to worthless, the people who want it will craft the badge. Most people have figured out that a badge, profile background, emoticon, 100xp, and a coupon just aren't worth paying $5 for. The cards that have retained their value are the ones that are offering some balance here: backgrounds that are worth a lot of money, :weed: emoticons, waifu badges, etc.

It's sad, but the trading card market has always been a race to the bottom. How fast it gets there is directly proportionate to the number of people who own the game.

That being said, IdleMaster introduces more supply into the market all things considered. It's because by default, players choose between three states: don't bother; get cards and sell them; get cards and keep them. Don't bother is likely to be the majority choice, especially with games not actively being played. Idle Master lowers the time-cost of the latter two options, making don't bother a less attractive choice for its users. If we assume that forcing a binary choice between selling or keeping, most people sell, then IM introduces more supply than demand, and thus works to lower card pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom