• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annubis

Geez, you're not kidding. 6 hours of idling for 45 cents worth of cards. What purpose is there for making it take so long to drop cards? What's in it for the developers?

Dev: « Please tell us again how much we are inconveniencing you. »

tumblr_n0liwzmn8t1rlo1q2o1_500.gif

kevin1025

Banned
Keep in mind Recommend and Minimum settings are almost entirely bullshit, I generally put no stock in them.

This is coming from a guy running current-gen games on a midrange card that is nearly 5 years old.

Really? I put a ton of stock in it, I guess that's the problem. I'm still relatively new to PC's, outside of iffy laptops and more recently Apple products, my computer growing up was a very finicky Pentium 2 that couldn't run Diablo II to save its life. I couldn't even run Age of Empires II because of the resolution requirement. So now that I have a fully capable PC, I'm learning as I go that things aren't always as they appear, sometimes in good ways, sometimes in bad ways. Mostly good, though.

Lomax

Geez, you're not kidding. 6 hours of idling for 45 cents worth of cards. What purpose is there for making it take so long to drop cards? What's in it for the developers?

While there's nothing in it for developers, it wouldn't surprise me if Steam didn't recommend Devs set the drop time to be a certain percentage of normal play time, and I'm sure anyone who plays that game for real would easily put in that much time. What's odd is none of their other games are like that, so it could have just been a mistake.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Just finished Dragon Age Origins. Some impressions under spoiler:

The story was ok... It's basically Mass Effect 2 back in time. :lol
Maybe I didn't immerse myself in the lore too much.
I was expecting an epilogue for every character, instead I only got one for Morrigan. Speaking of companions, I never managed to meet Leliana. I don't know if you're supposed to have the option not to meet her or the game glitched, her encounter never started.
The gameplay it's ok, although I regretted choosing a rogue, mage is way funnier to use, luckily Morrigan was there to cover me. Stealth is totally useless IMHO, not much you can do with it. You may get a critical at the start of the fight, but that's hardly an advantage. Also, you can't use it to sneak past everything. I mean, for example, in a quest where you're supposed to steal something from a guarded person, I though "Cool, I'll become invisible, sneak past the guards, pickpocket the guy and go without killing anyone!". Nope. You enter the room and the cover goes away and a dialogue/fight starts (I had maxed stealth too...). Not many other uses of skill beside cunning and persuasion during dialogues. And some skills like survival or poison and trap making were completely useless. That may be the way I played, but I never used a balm, trap or a poison in this game.
The final boss was really underwhelming. It's just there, it has no character at all. I thought they would have given the Archdemon some depth but nope. It was also really easy, I had already fought the two optional high dragons and this one was the same.
It was fun. Not a masterpiece but worth 50 hours for a playthrough.
Onto Awakening now.

And... I know it's shit... But I kind of want to play Dragon Age 2 for completion's sake...

Yakkue

While I did finish Brothers - A tale of two songs long time ago I decided to write my little impressions. You can also rate up or down by going to the review in the Steam page if you want.

Thanks a lot for your impressions, I always like reading your write-ups :)

Boot uplay, downloads 2 uplay updates.
What have I done?

Edit: Also, you better add all those -, or it'll tell you the code is invalid. What?

Edit 2: it's downloading 19 gigs to a drive that has 1 gig free without complaining.
What²?
Haha, that's amazing. Maybe they have a revolutionary new harddrive enlargement service ;) Did it work?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
CPU's are really damn good nowadays. My laptop barely reaches max CPU usage. It's everything else that's holding me down.

Volimar

Just finished Dragon Age Origins. Some impressions under spoiler:

The story was ok... It's basically Mass Effect 2 back in time. :lol
Maybe I didn't immerse myself in the lore too much.
I was expecting an epilogue for every character, instead I only got one for Morrigan. Speaking of companions, I never managed to meet Leliana. I don't know if you're supposed to have the option not to meet her or the game glitched, her encounter never started.
The gameplay it's ok, although I regretted choosing a rogue, mage is way funnier to use, luckily Morrigan was there to cover me. Stealth is totally useless IMHO, not much you can do with it. You may get a critical at the start of the fight, but that's hardly an advantage. Also, you can't use it to sneak past everything. I mean, for example, in a quest where you're supposed to steal something from a guarded person, I though "Cool, I'll become invisible, sneak past the guards, pickpocket the guy and go without killing anyone!". Nope. You enter the room and the cover goes away and a dialogue/fight starts (I had maxed stealth too...). Not many other uses of skill beside cunning and persuasion during dialogues. And some skills like survival or poison and trap making were completely useless. That may be the way I played, but I never used a balm, trap or a poison in this game.
The final boss was really underwhelming. It's just there, it has no character at all. I thought they would have given the Archdemon some depth but nope. It was also really easy, I had already fought the two optional high dragons and this one was the same.
It was fun. Not a masterpiece but worth 50 hours for a playthrough.
Onto Awakening now.

And... I know it's shit... But I kind of want to play Dragon Age 2 for completion's sake...

DA:O was basically filler until Skyrim came out, for me at least. Never played DA 2, but I am really looking forward to Inquisition. Even if it turns out to just be filler until the next Fallout/Elder Scrolls.

All you know is some people SAID it is shit.

I'll say it. I enjoyed DA2 more than DAO.

I'll say it all day.

DA2 apparently committed the sin of reusing dungeon environments. Yeah, its lame, but the amount of shit people give the game for that is completely unwarranted.

The story and characters in 2 were more entertaining, and I liked the different approach to the combat.

You hear that, all you DA2 haters out there ?!?! I liked DA2 more and I ain't afraid to say it!!!

Ahhhhhhahahaahahahaha!!!!!!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Speaking of companions, I never managed to meet Leliana. I don't know if you're supposed to have the option not to meet her or the game glitched, her encounter never started.
Did you not go into the inn/tavern in Lothering? It's kind of hard to miss.

Keep in mind Recommend and Minimum settings are almost entirely bullshit, I generally put no stock in them.

This is coming from a guy running current-gen games on a midrange card that is nearly 5 years old.

I second/confirm this. Running a 2500k and just one of those midrange cards (560ti) and I can squeeze out some great settings.

That 970 is hitting the cylinders I want (performance with price in mind), so I'm likely upgrading to it next.

Question on Wasteland 2: is it region-locked or tagged weirdly, and if not, what's our comrade Putin asking for it in USDs? For the people who were playing the beta, is the full game holding up well?

Turfster

Haha, that's amazing. Maybe they have a revolutionary new harddrive enlargement service ;) Did it work?

I kicked WolfTNO off the drive freeing up space before it ran out.
It's downloading at full bandwidth at the moment.
Some kind of speed throttle would be nice, but... I don't see it.

TronLight

Did you not go into the inn/tavern in Lothering? It's kind of hard to miss.

I don't know. It's the same place where you free Sten, right? I freed him, done the side quests on the board and then I left. Then I couldn't go back.

Deitus

I just hope Kojima doesn't tone down the ludicrous and very OT-heavy cutscenes in length.
I loved them.

I'm with you on that. I think the ending of MGS4 did run a bit long even for Kojima, and like a lot of things in that game probably could have used a bit of editing. But other than that, I am perfectly fine with 30+ minute cutscenes full of Kojima's brand of pseudo-philosophical, near-future politics in my MGS games. I wouldn't have it any other way.

It was actually one of the major disappointments with Ground Zeroes, that there was barely any dialogue at all. Hopefully MGS V won't have that problem (and from what I've seen of the demos, that shouldn't be the case).

TronLight

I'd say do it, if only to be able to craft Inquisition the way you want.
Otherwise, you won't know what is what when making your DA:I world.

Yes, that's also why. Can I load my save into DA2 and keep the decisions I made?
I kind of hope EA will give it away on Origin somewhere in the future. I'll have to buy it through amazon otherwise.

All you know is some people SAID it is shit.

I'll say it. I enjoyed DA2 more than DAO.

I'll say it all day.

DA2 apparently committed the sin of reusing dungeon environments. Yeah, its lame, but the amount of shit people give the game for that is completely unwarranted.

The story and characters in 2 were more entertaining, and I liked the different approach to the combat.

You hear that, all you DA2 haters out there ?!?! I liked DA2 more and I ain't afraid to say it!!!

Ahhhhhhahahaahahahaha!!!!!!

> I agree, tell me more
> I think you're full of shit
> You're really passionate about this, eh?
x (Slowly walk away) Ok there, buddy...
> (Attack) You're crazy!

The_Monk

Just like my previous impression, I also decided to write my small views from Aliens Vs Predator. As always, You can also rate up or down by going to the review in the Steam page (click it) if you want.

In Aliens VS Predator you are able to play three different Stories as three different species, the Humans, the Aliens and the Predator. It took me not much more than 3 hours to finish each of their own stories on the Normal difficulty without looking for every collectible the game has to offer. Considering it’s a game from 2010 I was really satisfied with the visuals. The forests look dense and the water looks crystal clear. Light and shadow look good considering it’s been awhile since the game was released. If you are an Alien movie fan from the very first movie when it was released in 1979 by Ridley Scott then you may find more enjoyment in Aliens VS Predator then, say, in Aliens: Colonial Marines.

The Marine Story was the first one I experienced and among your typical FPS shooting action and objectives, I managed to find some tense moments where light could be as useful as bullets. Setting a proper mood when playing can improve your experience quite a bit so a darker room with some sort of surround headphones can be a big changer. Some of the weapons were accurate when portraying the sound from the original movies, yet, there were many times I felt overpowered against such terrifying enemy.

The predator Story was my favorite from the three. Right from the start, as predator, you will have to proof you are worth to join the most elite soldiers. Hunting and stealth tactics will be your best weapon. Divide to conquer is the best strategy one can find while trying to get your precious human trophies. Some may find an extreme satisfaction by taking their time to caught the enemies by surprise while finishing them off with a decapitation while others may prefer a more direct, ruthless approach. It’s up to you how you play, just remember that it’s a good idea to adapt as you play different species.

Playing the Alien story was the most hard for me. While it took me some time to get used to the controls by climbing the ceiling, walls and so on these missions gave me some harsh motion sickness, turning the experience really different and less enjoyable from the other two. After (if) you get used to the fast walking and crawling between walls, floors and ceilings you will feel the horror is about to arrive to those poor Marines. Waiting and stalking the prey when they less expect feels amazing and I found myself to avoid killing all the soldiers if it was not required. The notion of panic from the Marine soldiers is well noted and if you are spotted they will try to find you and terminate you, hence why it makes such a difference to wait in order to deal the final blow to the enemy.

In the end I had great fun with the game and I still believe it holds up in this time and day. If you are an Alien or Predator fan I’m sure you already played this game, if not, I think it deserves a good chance, for the right price. The Online portion of the game may be absent considering nobody still plays by now but either way the three different campaigns remains a solid experience that may be worth your attention and also your time.

Thanks a lot for your impressions, I always like reading your write-ups :)

Thanks a lot Yakkue! :) Decided to write another one.

Annubis

Yes, that's also why. Can I load my save into DA2 and keep the decisions I made?

No, you can choose what happened prior to DA:I with a giant 'questionnaire' that they are making online that will work with DA:I.

There is no need to have a save game or anything. You CAN import saves to that online tool to have it take the choice from your save game, but you can also manually do it.

Turfster

Holy shit if you pause a uplay download for too long, it fails.
Edit: Oh, found the bandwidth throttle... which throttles per MB/S apparently. Oh well, I'll take it.

TronLight

No, you can choose what happened prior to DA:I with a giant 'questionnaire' that they are making online that will work with DA:I.

There is no need to have a save game or anything. You CAN import saves to that online tool to have it take the choice from your save game, but you can also manually do it.
I meant Origin's savegame to DA2. Good to know anyway. Got a link for the online tool?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't know. It's the same place where you free Sten, right? I freed him, done the side quests on the board and then I left. Then I couldn't go back.

Yeah. Same town. You go into the town and the chantry is in front of you, then when you cross the little bridge the tavern's on the right, where an NPC tells you there are some of Loghain's douchebags looking for you. You go in and they start a fight, Leliana helps you out at which point she can join your party.

There's a bunch of people standing in front of it, which is part of why it's hard to miss.

Teeth

Does anyone know how to uninstall the DualShock 3 wrapper (from PCSX2) in here? After a windows update, my DS3 stopped working and I'm thinking I should reinstall the wrapper, but I can't find any documentation on how to uninstall the old one.

Any ideas?

Never mind, problem solved.

You guys are da bess.

Vazduh

Although DA2 is a lesser game in nearly every regard (even the visuals, believe it or not), I enjoyed its story and characters more. What I didn't appreciate was the same damn dungeon layout, which got extremely annoying towards the end.

Give it a go and you might actually enjoy it. It's definitely a shorter game than DA:O (howlongtobeat.com says it takes ~25 hrs for DA2, while DA:O takes over 40 hrs) so even if you hate it in the end, it won't have taken too much of your time.

Completed Skyrim.
Didn't even realise that I was at the end of the main quest when I finished it, probably has something to do with me being so overpowered because I spent about 54hrs on side quests before even going to talk to the greybeards up at High Hrothgar(not kidding)

It was a really fun game though, had a lot of adventures, got married, adopted two children, built my own house, hired a bard, got a steward, rode a dragon, restored the thieves guild to max reputation, assassinated some people for the dark brotherhood and did WAY too many misc. quests.

Joe Molotov

Completed Skyrim.
Didn't even realise that I was at the end of the main quest when I finished it, probably has something to do with me being so overpowered because I spent about 54hrs on side quests before even going to talk to the greybeards up at High Hrothgar(not kidding)

You can beat this main quest in like 2 hours. Side quests are where it's at.

Lomax

PriceWHAT?

Why do I always miss those

It was a few weeks ago. They had the collector's bundle for 40 cents. It lasted an hour and in that time made it to #2 on the top seller's list before dropping back down after the sale ended.

Yeah, it still seems odd that it lasted exactly an hour. As such, there's still tons of copies around you can pick up for a key or probably less.

Don't feel bad, I had it IN MY CART when suddenly I got a message saying the pricing had changed. I had my share of Darth Vader Noooooooo'ing that day.

That happened to me with the Dishonored price glitch and I was bitter for months. And of course this summer I finally give in and spend $10 of credit for it only for it to drop to $7.50 like a month later. Just don't ask if I've played it yet.
It hasn't even been installed x.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom