• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

save scuming is not really a problem of mine, i'm not the completionist or min maxer type so i don't really give a shit. i generally have a better time when i'm dealt a bad hand and gotta make do however i can

but i dunno, divinity's weird, i just don't find myself playing it. like with shadowrun or dead state or wasteland 2 (after i do my spidey investigation) i don't have such problems

i think it's in part thanks to me not being too familiar with divinity games and with larian, and with the universe seeming so straight high fantasy. like dead state is a fucking zombie game but mitsoda just reels me in so easily, it's crazy. same for eternity whenever that's out (and after i do my spidey investigation)

just a weird game overall, i bet i'll play it like a year from now and love it

How's Dead State now in its full-blown beta stage? Any better? EviLore gave me a key back in February and I still haven't tried it because I don't want Mitsoda to make me sad.

Oh man, I really didn't see that twist coming in Stranger's Wrath. This game continues to impress me, I'm just kinda stunned at how well it holds up. Folks, if you like youself a decent shooter with some solid platforming and a thin yet surprisingly engaging story, do yourself a favor and pick up stranger's wrath next time it goes on sale. It's so good.

Turfster

JFC, now it's done installing Blacklist, it wants to grab a 1 gig update.
... which downloads to a totally different directory than the one you specified for temporary files.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
... which downloads to a totally different directory than the one you specified for temporary files.

ubi gonna ubi ... and then they wonder why people hate uplay SO MUCH

Phinor

Did you guys buy a 970 yet?

Availability is an issue in most of Europe, as is pricing. Or should I say especially pricing. Over $500 for basic models of GTX970, if you can even find one. Premium models are over $600. Factory overclocked 970 costs more than a similar model of 980 in US. Some countries (Germany) have a much better situation than others. As usual, it will take few weeks to few months for the situation to normalize and price gouging to stop.

Short answer: no, since 970 isn't available yet.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
header_292x136.jpg

Well anyone who has the early version of Fault Milestone One you can get into the beta and have the first two Chapters to preview using this code by opting into the beta branch: Beta - English Beta

Looking forward to seeing impressions of the localized script. Hopefully it's good, fault milestone one is one of the releases on Steam that I'm looking forward to the most.

Uplay truly is the best alternative to Steam, isn't it?

L.O.R.D

I have GeForce GT 750m

It runs okay on low settings, but the cut scenes are slideshow, and the laptop gets pretty hot fairly quick. I know next to nothing about settings and cards and all that... I just play it in short bursts.

its run on GT 750m better then GTX 860m ?
what laptop do you have ?
how the frame ?
if you play it more then 20 minutes , what will happen to the game ?

BTW , the 860m is a Sager laptop

1) Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80
2) Sager (Laptop)
3) GeForce GTX 860M
4) Driver version: 344.11
5) 20GB Ram
6) Windows 7 64 bit

FloatOn

hey so what gives with this arkham oranges deathstroke boss fight? I heard that it was borked with the counter messages and it seems that this is still the case.

is there any kind of patch that I need to download to resolve this?

send help plz

Zeliard

I knew it !

You mods are getting paid by Evilore for moderation . :p

Well, it was a free key he'd gotten as part of his pledge tier. :p

Availability is an issue in most of Europe, as is pricing. Or should I say especially pricing. Over $500 for basic models of GTX970, if you can even find one. Premium models are over $600. Factory overclocked 970 costs more than a similar model of 980 in US. Some countries (Germany) have a much better situation than others. As usual, it will take few weeks to few months for the situation to normalize and price gouging to stop.

Short answer: no, since 970 isn't available yet.

Yikes, that's rough. I'd heard it was bad but not quite to that extent.

Availability is also an issue in the US atm, but pricing is certainly a disaster in a lot of other places. It's a shame because it's the aggressively low MSRP here that truly makes the 970 such a great card (and far superior to the 980 given price:performance).

Chariot

hey so what gives with this arkham oranges deathstroke boss fight? I heard that it was borked with the counter messages and it seems that this is still the case.

is there any kind of patch that I need to download to resolve this?

send help plz
Borked? You only have to use the combat system correctly. Spamming will kill you. I myself needed three tries until I got this.
Just counter when you're old to counter, not preventive.

Mokoi

Banned

I can feel the regret oozing through my phone.

As for steam related stuff Is it just me or did they add a new shade of blue? I haven't been paying attention to any updates so forgive me.

Sajjaja

Does anyone have problems posting screenshots of non-Steam games to the activity feed?
I'm playing Diablo 3 and it brings up a message something along the lines of "This application is not public yet," which doesn't let me upload screens to activity, but uploads it to some private cloud or some shit.

I used to be able to but now it's not working.

Turfster

I can feel the regret oozing through my phone.

As for steam related stuff Is it just me or did they add a new shade of blue? I haven't been paying attention to any updates so forgive me.

I like how Blacklist is apparently saving during the intro video.
Like, during all of it. With a nice animated SAVING icon thing.

Nabs

I thought the Deathstroke fight was a really good one. It can be confusing (and boring) if you're just waiting to counter all fight.

Does anyone have problems posting screenshots of non-Steam games to the activity feed?
I'm playing Diablo 3 and it brings up a message something along the lines of "This application is not public yet," which doesn't let me upload screens to activity, but uploads it to some private cloud or some shit.

Exclusive: Diablo 3 coming to Steam.

Miguel81

Of the few games I have on Uplay, this one has been, by far, the worst in terms of updates/patches.

Nabs

Of the few games I have on Uplay, this one has been, by far, the worst in terms of updates/patches.

You guys are lucky, I think they recently fixed the update bug that would require you to download the update over and over again.

FloatOn

It's just a fucking boring fight.
(It didn't really bork for me, I just had to wait for the exact moment the "prompts" appeared)

yeah but the prompts only appear for like one of his attacks. if he decides to use a different combo they don't at all.

I'm about to call it quits on this shit.

Turfster

... and now it's "saving" during gameplay too.
What the hell, Ubi.

Edit: there we go.
Edit²: And next cutscene, more "saving" icons.

zkylon

zkylewd
How's Dead State now in its full-blown beta stage? Any better? EviLore gave me a key back in February and I still haven't tried it because I don't want Mitsoda to make me sad.

well it's pretty predictably buggy and clunky but also very addictive in the good kind of way

the interface is kind of a mess in many respects, some of which are gonna be fixed but i get the impression it's gonna be the #1 issue with the full game. things like splitting item stacks or moving items from one character to another are painstakingly slow and awkward and i feel like over 30 hours or however this lasts it's gonna get pretty frustrating. this is the one thing i really hope they improve upon as looting shit and moving it in and out of your npcs' inventory is a big time sink

combat is basically classic fallout with all the good and the bad that comes with it. so far most of the "magic" (basically you can do a battle roar and have your party morale increase or something like that) is not implemented and some of the special attacks are pretty unbalanced, there's no overwatch, flanking penalties are weird, etc. combat is not a great thing, it's repetitive and not very interesting but i feel like combat is missing a lot of stuff. again over 30 hours or so this might get annoying

those are the main two crappy things i see with the game and two that are being improved upon so i think they'll be a bit better in the full release, but i wouldn't expect neither to be great. this game unfortunately doesn't have eternity's budget and it shows

the rest of the game for me is just fantastic tho. there's something really enjoyable of the process of waking up, giving people their daily tasks, then going out to the world with your team, explore in some random direction, find a new location, loot everything then come back and use it to build fences, boost npc morale by giving people gifts, maybe craft some molotov cocktails, etc.

in the time i played i recruited like 10 people (all optional since there's really no main quest) and there was a woman that was bitten so i had to keep a supply of antibiotics to keep her from turning, a woman that doesn't speak english so she can't be ordered in combat, a psycho guy with an axe that seems like he'll go insane any moment, a cop that seems to want to dethrone me and take over the school, etc.

the game it reminds me the most of is mount & blade, mostly because while npcs have stories it's really a gameplay first kind of game and storytelling is mostly done through gameplay stuff. you don't have quests, you have a list of preset goals (you get exp for doing some milestones like getting x stock of food, build y amount of base upgrades, etc. killing stuff doesn't net you exp which is pretty cool imo) and npc turn ons and turn offs and you just go get some loot and sometimes you run into bandits or zombies or someone holed up in a basement and stuff happens

i really like it but you know, caveats

edit: as far as upgrades from alpha stage, it's pretty much the same game, interface is a lot better than it was in alpha and there's a lot more content but you know this is a pretty real beta, with lots of missing content and bugs and crashes and such.

never had any trouble as recently as like three days ago or something

JustinBB7

Stuck on second night of 5 nights at freddy's. I run out of power way too fast. And I'm mostly just checking cameras. Am I missing a way to save power?

Usually have like 1/2 hours left and I'm already out. Guess I have to look at the cameras left and hope I don't die.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Stuck on second night of 5 nights at freddy's. I run out of power way too fast. And I'm mostly just checking cameras. Am I missing a way to save power?

Usually have like 1/2 hours left and I'm already out. Guess I have to look at the cameras left and hope I don't die.

Well when the cameras are down use the noises around you to see see when you should check.

Articalys

Well, Gunpoint was short but enjoyable enough for while it lasted. Anybody have good recommendations for some of the community levels?

Zeliard

well it's pretty predictably buggy and clunky but also very addictive in the good kind of way

the interface is kind of a mess in many respects, some of which are gonna be fixed but i get the impression it's gonna be the #1 issue with the full game. things like splitting item stacks or moving items from one character to another are painstakingly slow and awkward and i feel like over 30 hours or however this lasts it's gonna get pretty frustrating. this is the one thing i really hope they improve upon as looting shit and moving it in and out of your npcs' inventory is a big time sink

combat is basically classic fallout with all the good and the bad that comes with it. so far most of the "magic" (basically you can do a battle roar and have your party morale increase or something like that) is not implemented and some of the special attacks are pretty unbalanced, there's no overwatch, flanking penalties are weird, etc. combat is not a great thing, it's repetitive and not very interesting but i feel like combat is missing a lot of stuff. again over 30 hours or so this might get annoying

those are the main two crappy things i see with the game and two that are being improved upon so i think they'll be a bit better in the full release, but i wouldn't expect neither to be great. this game unfortunately doesn't have eternity's budget and it shows

the rest of the game for me is just fantastic tho. there's something really enjoyable of the process of waking up, giving people their daily tasks, then going out to the world with your team, explore in some random direction, find a new location, loot everything then come back and use it to build fences, boost npc morale by giving people gifts, maybe craft some molotov cocktails, etc.

in the time i played i recruited like 10 people (all optional since there's really no main quest) and there was a woman that was bitten so i had to keep a supply of antibiotics to keep her from turning, a woman that doesn't speak english so she can't be ordered in combat, a psycho guy with an axe that seems like he'll go insane any moment, a cop that seems to want to dethrone me and take over the school, etc.

the game it reminds me the most of is mount & blade, mostly because while npcs have stories it's really a gameplay first kind of game and storytelling is mostly done through gameplay stuff. you don't have quests, you have a list of preset goals (you get exp for doing some milestones like getting x stock of food, build y amount of base upgrades, etc.) and npc turn ons and turn offs and you just go get some loot and sometimes you run into bandits or zombies or someone holed up in a basement and stuff happens

i really like it but you know, caveats

edit: as far as upgrades from alpha stage, it's pretty much the same game, interface is a lot better than it was in alpha and there's a lot more content but you know this is a pretty real beta, with lots of missing content and bugs and crashes and such.

Thanks for the impressions, I'll probably check it out in the coming weeks or so once I've tabled some other games.

It's good to hear the intertwining systems can be interesting. I can perhaps sort of deal with less-than-interesting combat (and you are fighting zombies in an RPG, after all), but the most disappointing thing I've seen from videos and such is the dialogue.

Given that Dead State is helmed by Brian Mitsoda of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines fame, it comes across as shockingly stilted and artificial.

This for example, from Dead State's early release, is just bad writing:

p0cZ9ZG.jpg

That isn't how humans speak. You could replace those responses with percentage meters in character reputation UI screens for all the naturalism and engagement it evokes.

Again, just bizarre because Bloodlines was so good at precisely this sort of thing.

Ruruja

yeah but the prompts only appear for like one of his attacks. if he decides to use a different combo they don't at all.

I'm about to call it quits on this shit.

I think you can counter without the prompts, there's another way to do it - like he goes through a certain set of moves each time so you know when it's coming or something - I remember having an issue with the prompts and ended up beating him still, so it's definitely possible, it just takes a while.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks for the impressions, I'll probably check it out in the coming weeks or so once I've tabled some other games.

It's good to hear the intertwining systems can be interesting. I can perhaps sort of deal with less-than-interesting combat (and you are fighting zombies in an RPG, after all), but the most disappointing thing I've seen from videos and such is the dialogue.

Given that Dead State is helmed by Brian Mitsoda of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines fame, it comes across as shockingly stilted and artificial.

This for example, from Dead State's early release, is just bad writing:

p0cZ9ZG.jpg

That isn't how humans speak. You could replace those responses with percentage meters in character reputation UI screens for all the naturalism and engagement it evokes.

Again, just bizarre because Bloodlines was so good at precisely this sort of thing.
yeah, dialogue is pretty strange and again reminded me of mount & blade how every single npc you recruit has like the same 5 questions you can ask them and it'll be just a semi elaborate way of simply reading their stats to you

but there's also some other dialogue that's more like real rpg dialogue that happens at certain events with like proper conversation and dialogue options and shit. i think that the event dialogue is actually pretty well written even if it feels a little too "fast paced", maybe? like there's this woman that's in shock after surviving a plane crash and she goes from absolute shock stupor to normal in less than a week. but there's also a nerdy guy you recruit that's hilarious and some other characters that come off as genuine (there's a guy that drinks mate <3) so it's not all bad.

unfortunately after those event things (you get a couple every day) everyone just goes back to robot mode and just has those very generic questions that like you said, should probably just go into the shelter menu.

it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't just placeholder stuff, tho. i feel like to some degree we're seeing the game a lot earlier and a lot rougher than other early access rpgs (w2 beta seemed pretty final when i played it) so this may all go away and be replaced by proper conversations. like entire systems get added from one patch to another so who knows

kevin1025

Banned
That Resident Evil 6 opener was the wildest walk forward and push button at the right time simulator I've played in a while. Is this a hint of what's to come for 20 or so hours?

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm getting job interview flashbacks from that dead state pic

dialogue's pretty uneven, but i dunno, bloodlines being such a monster game and the dead state development blogs reassure me that mitsoda knows what he's doing.

(pls mods don't ban me for teh animu)

like there's some of this stuff which to me is really funny and there's also some other stuff that's more serious-like but dead state is not bloodlines and it's pretty clear that the focus is not in the dialogue.

i personally don't mind since like i said it's like turn based mount & blade which to me is just heaven. if it gets better i'll take it but if not i'll probably be ok, i like games in which i assign personality traits to characters according to their gameplay "personalities": doug for some reason is a freaking demon with a hammer, vic is prolly a reincarnation of fallout 2's vic uselessness in that he can't aim for shit and also gets hilariously random panic thingies, renee's is crazy vital as she's the team's healer but completely terrible with doug's hammer for some reason, etc.

like i honestly don't really give a shit anymore about zombie stories, i think that by now i've heard them all and can't imagine myself being even interested about any of them, so this is pretty refreshing for me.

but i'm crazy in love with mount & blade so it may just be me

kevin1025

Banned
I've not played it but make sure the QTE skip option is on.

That's right, I forgot about that! For those that have played it, is that "Attack Reaction" in the settings when you start a new game, or is it in the game setting labelled as QTE? Also, infinite ammo option or Objective Settings, ie. Playing for fun or Here for the story, etc.? What is going on here?!

Locust

That Resident Evil 6 opener was the wildest walk forward and push button at the right time simulator I've played in a while. Is this a hint of what's to come for 20 or so hours?

Leon's actual campaign starts in a similar way but I don't remember there being any parts like that afterwards.

tioslash

So, I´ve been dropping lots of trading cards lately, cortesy of Idlemaster, and I would like to ask, is there a kind of ''better moment'' to sell them on the market throughout the year so I can maximize profit? Or should I sell them right away and they don´t actually fluctuate much in price?

There is a long section at the start of Leon's campaign which is... baffling.

But other than that you are good to go.

So, I´ve been dropping lots of trading cards lately, cortesy of Idlemaster, and I would like to ask, is there a kind of ''better moment'' to sell them on the market throughout the year so I can maximize profit? Or should I sell them right away and they don´t actually fluctuate much in price?

If you don't want to get rid of them, you could save them for the next steam sale. There is a chance Valve will give you a card for a badge you craft during this period. This new card might be worth slightly more than the cards you used to craft it.... for about an hour or two.

So basically, just get your 0.08c now and be happy.

Miker

That's right, I forgot about that! For those that have played it, is that "Attack Reaction" in the settings when you start a new game, or is it in the game setting labelled as QTE? Also, infinite ammo option or Objective Settings, ie. Playing for fun or Here for the story, etc.? What is going on here?!

Auto-QTEs = "AUTO ACTION BUTTON" on in GAME SETTINGS

You'll also want these camera settings in CAMERA SETTINGS (well, speed is sensitivity, so that's up to you)

butts: case in point

i feel like most cutscenes start with this kind of shot

i mean the outfits on the gross looking junkies on the back is super tight too but for some reason i don't think the camera's interested in them

edit: ok most is kind of a lie but a good amount of them for sure
As far as video game sexualization goes, Remember Me is pretty tame. You want to see some ridiculous butt shots, Miranda from Mass Effect is that way.

If the game just got cards, thats the time when you can sell them for the highest amount.
I would sell them now though. During sale-time the card-prices are kinda low. And if there is a sale of a game right now, I would sell them later, when the sale of it is over.

You can always see it when a game is featured in a bundle, especially the HB. The price drops really quickly.

zkylon

zkylewd
What are your strengths and weakness?
Tell us when did you go above and beyond the call of duty?
i love how she's like "wtf r u talking about creep" when you say the "what do you think about me" question

it's super weird

As far as video game sexualization goes, Remember Me is pretty tame. You want to see some ridiculous butt shots, Miranda from Mass Effect is that way.
for sure, potato face is much much worse

i just thought it was amusing cos it's like every ladder and every climb the camera just gives you a peek, it's weird.

like i'm spending most of my game time looking at her ass from third person camera already so it's not like i need reminding how attractive she is

it's not even a complaint, more like an observation <3

MUnited83

For you.
If the game just got cards, thats the time when you can sell them for the highest amount.
I would sell them now though. During sale-time the card-prices are kinda low. And if there is a sale of a game right now, I would sell them later, when the sale of it is over.

You can always see it when a game is featured in a bundle, especially the HB. The price drops really quickly.

And if the prices are already low, wait for winter sale, when people will be buying lots of cards to craft badges and the prices will rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom