• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 - Make sure you take the time to thank Gabenbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I am looking for SIM or rts with depth and looks pretty too!

Civ5 is pretty, but as far as 4X (not RTS, but turn based civilization management games) games go, I think Endless Space is even prettier with a slicker presentation. Both are great 4X games with tons of depth and in the end you cant go wrong either way, just decide on the one that has the setting that you are more interested in.

(Endless Space is a daily deal atm)

Dude I did too and I wasn't expecting to. Just relish in the fact you will enjoy one of the greatest games ever made with an amazing story. I would say worth the price.
I only have 1.5Mbps though. I still remember spending like 2-3 DLing Max Payne 3.

I'm just downloading it at work.

Caerith

Civ5 is pretty, but as far as 4X (not RTS, but turn based civilization management games) games go, I think Endless Space is even prettier with a slicker presentation. Both are great 4X games with tons of depth and in the end you cant go wrong either way, just decide on the one that has the setting that you are more interested in.

How does Endless Space (which I haven't played) compare to GalCiv 2 (which I have played)?

Also, no explanation of Civ V is complete without linking this video, which seems to help a lot of people stop being golden retrievers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I do hope that games coming out from now on include them though. It's interesting when I like the games, and it gets me free money when I don't.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that Steamworks-supporting pubs will begin to offer cards from the off.

maverick40

Is endless space just in space or can you manage planets and the population?

Well, I've gotten about 50+ card drops total now, with 12 games where I can't get any more cards. Still I haven't gotten a single foil or booster pack. Shit sucks.

KPJZKC

Is endless space just in space or can you manage planets and the population?

You can build one focus improvement per planet (research/food/etc), but mostly you're building system wide improvements. Population control is really simple, goes up when there's food, goes down when there isn't or when you build a colony ship.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How does Endless Space (which I haven't played) compare to GalCiv 2 (which I have played)?

Also, no explanation of Civ V is complete without linking this video, which seems to help a lot of people stop being golden retrievers.

GalCiv2 is the overall deeper game with better AI, but the combat in Endless Space is rather interesting and more varied, plus even though GalCiv2 is still my favourite 4X game, I find myself starting up ES from time to time because its such a joy to play due to the awesome, awesome UI and presentation (seriously, cant be mentioned enough). ES is a fantastic 4X game and one of the best around, no game has been measuring up to GC2 in the AI department, and the only other thing I am sorely missing is the planet overview to place buildings on (since buildings are just build in a list in ES), but other than that its just really.. fun to play.

Managed to pick up dark souls for 4.99. Great deal.

Hoping for a 75% off tomb raider and then maybe dishonoured and Witcher 2 as well. All those are on 50% off till 22 anyway so I will wait and see,

Fistwell

Here's an overview:
Summer Sale cards can be earned by:

- Spending $10 on the store (one drop per $10 spent)
- Voting on Community's Choice polls (one drop per three votes)
- Crafting the Summer Sale badge (one drop per level up)
- Trading with other users/purchasing directly via the Steam Market

1238512492_the-happening-wahlberg.gif

(I didnt actually understand any of this.... what are badges for?? forget it, dont wanna know).

Edit: but thx for the details JC.

Slavik81

You liked vanilla, really? I thought it was seriously lacking, culture was useless more or less and it just felt, how I say it, bare? I stopped playing vanilla I bought gold just I could enjoy it more.
Yeah, but religion felt like complexity for the sake of complexity, and some of the changes to worker AI resulted in worse auto-build behaviour. The inability to have a faithless empire was also a little thematically disappointing. I prefer vanilla over Gods and Kings.

I bought Brave New World tonight, though. I always wanted deeper trade route mechanics, and I'm crossing my fingers the other changes help improve things too.

mclem

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

I just woke up to three coupons for Toki Tori 2+ expiring... yesterday. What the hell?

You got one for each Two Tribes game you already owned when you bought Toki Tori 2+.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants a 10% off coupon for it, let me know... if I can handle the trade only using my phone.

Toma

Oh God...

Steam is going to turn into EVE Online. That's what's happening, isn't it? We're all living in an MMO.

I really hate that direction. It was all downhill since that one awesome summer sale 3 years ago.

Ok so these are all gone to the lucky recipients.

HybYG0T.png

A few left. Thanks for the update on l4d2, looks like im going to miss out on getting it sadly. My steam id is 'samrambles' so feel free to add me if you'd like!

Remaining games up for grabs are as follows:

Capsized

Intrusion 2

Munin

Bought Endless Space plus expansion 2 weeks ago and thought it was a waste of money. It looks pretty but it's so depressingly shallow. After 5 turns it feels like you've seen everything. And the combat sucks.

Wunder

Ok so these are all gone to the lucky recipients.

A few left. Thanks for the update on l4d2, looks like im going to miss out on getting it sadly. My steam id is 'samrambles' so feel free to add me if you'd like!

Remaining games up for grabs are as follows:

Can I get Intrusion 2?

Arthea

GalCiv2 is the overall deeper game with better AI, but the combat in Endless Space is rather interesting and more varied, plus even though GalCiv2 is still my favourite 4X game, I find myself starting up ES from time to time because its such a joy to play due to the awesome, awesome UI and presentation (seriously, cant be mentioned enough). ES is a fantastic 4X game and one of the best around, no game has been measuring up to GC2 in the AI department, and the only other thing I am sorely missing is the planet overview to place buildings on (since buildings are just build in a list in ES), but other than that its just really.. fun to play.

you almost sold me on ES. But I kinda thought that GC2 strong point is complexity, and ES is kinda lacking in this department, at least I was told so.

It is rts. It is just that everybody who plays it is really polite.

I laughed

Toma

Bought Endless Space plus expansion 2 weeks ago and thought it was a waste of money. It looks pretty but it's so depressingly shallow. After 5 turns it feels like you've seen everything. And the combat sucks.

Considering there are plenty of things you havent seen after 5 turns, you havent seen much yet.

you almost sold me on ES. But I kinda thought that GC2 strong point is complexity, and ES is kinda lacking in this department, at least I was told so.

Yeah, its lacking a bit in the complexity department compared to GC2 for example. I cant deny that, but "depressingly shallow" is exaggerating it a bit. I dont play these games in the same mood. ES is a relaxing gameplay experience, while GC2 is a more taxing one, but ES is by no means a bad game.

do you have any other cards? link me your steam profile

http://steamcommunity.com/id/refusedchaos/

Unfortunately, I started laaaate on this card collecting so I dont have much really.

I do have an extra Steam Trading Card Beta gift which I think nets you 100xp and the beta badge. (I am not 100% sure though)

There's a good chance Miami card will become (slightly) more expensive when the daily deal is gone. But it runs another day so they could go lower today.
See that's what I was thinking

Smash88

Banned
I only have 1.5Mbps though. I still remember spending like 2-3 DLing Max Payne 3.

I'm just downloading it at work.

Yeah Max Payne 3 is a whole different breed. It's like 30GB.

What can I say, games are going to grow larger and larger. It's a shame Canada and Australia get shafted by internet prices and speeds so badly.

EDIT: Anyways off to bed. See you guys at 1pm EST. Good luck. And stay frosty out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom