• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 - Make sure you take the time to thank Gabenbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperHans

Yahoooo! Steam is finally taking my credit card again.
I got the following.

Hotline Miami -2.12 EUR
Scribblenauts Unlimited -4.74 EUR
Don't Starve - 8.39 EUR
Bioshock Infinite (WW) -24.99 EUR

Total:
40.24 EUR

Missed out on Skyrim and Dark Souls on the flash deals but hopefully they'll be Daily Deals at some stage.

Bought Bioshock Infinite for $25. 17GB?
C26ZS.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam... erh, cards? What are they for?

Here's an overview:

You primarily earn cards via "drops", which occur on the odd occasion while you're in-game (you don't actually have to be playing; you can just idle in the main menu and alt-tab to do something else). You'll have no drops remaining for F2P games if you didn't spend $9 in the in-game store prior to the trading cards being implemented (or, in the case of TF2, didn't own a copy prior to it going F2P), whereas for paid games, you'll either have an amount of drops equal to half or half+1, depending on the total amount of cards available (e.g. if a game has 8 cards, you'll get 4 drops; if it has 9 cards, you'll get 5 drops).

As for the cards themselves, there are regular cards and rarer foil cards, the latter of which you can flog off for a pretty penny if you beat the market crash; additionally, you can also earn booster packs, which are a set of three cards, with a chance of a foil, that "drop" infrequently as long as you've signed into Steam once in the past week. Obviously you cannot complete a set with the limited amount of drops, so you're encouraged to either trade for or purchase from the Steam Market the missing cards. You can gain drops in F2P games by spending money in the in-game store, but given that you only earn a single drop per $9 spent, it's far cheaper to just buy what you need from the market. While cards disappear from your inventory when you craft a badge, once you've "maxed out" a certain badge, they will remain in the badge section of your profile, so you can view them at your leisure. (Valve will soon be implementing a virtual binder wherein your cards, whether present in your inventory or having been used to max out a badge, will reside.)

Badges can be "crafted" either by completing certain tasks (such as the Steam Community badge) or "spending" a complete set of cards. The ability to "level up" promotional badges (i.e. those not based on cards) varies, but regular card-based badges can be taken to level 5, while the special foil badges can be crafted just the once. When crafting a badge, you earn an emoticon, profile background (both related to the game in question), a Mysterious Card and 100 XP. XP in particular is used to "level up" your Steam Community profile, and with each level you gain an additional five friend slots as well as a showcase slot to show off something of your liking on your profile (rare/favourite games, games/DLC owned, achievements earned, etc.)

Edit: If a badge is not showing up in your list, either because you don't own the game in question or haven't spent enough money in the in-game store, it will appear after you receive a card pertaining to it. For instance, I didn't spend money in Dota 2 prior to the trading cards going live, so the badge didn't appear in my list until I began buying Dota 2 cards.

Edit edit: Sorry, I can't type tonight. :(

Summer Sale cards can be earned by:

- Spending $10 on the store (one drop per $10 spent)
- Voting on Community's Choice polls (one drop per three votes)
- Crafting the Summer Sale badge (one drop per level up)
- Trading with other users/purchasing directly via the Steam Market

Arthea

Vanilla is great, it's easily the best flavor of ice cream in the universe. But when it comes to Civ V, the more expansions you have the more complete your game is; whether this matters to you, whether you're going to play or you just want to have it for the sake of having it, is for you to know and me to stop caring about in approximately five seconds.

You liked vanilla, really? I thought it was seriously lacking, culture was useless more or less and it just felt, how I say it, bare? I stopped playing vanilla I bought gold just I could enjoy it more.

Yeah so I'm a complete and utter beginner at steam sales, something about cards?

Anyway I have a few keys remaining from previous humble bundles for Mac. These include:

Dear Esther
Capsized
Little Inferno
Intrusion 2
Steam Rush
Proteus
Thomas was alone
Hotline Miami

Please let me know if I can help any of you guys out.

Looking to finally get around to playing Left4Dead2 at some point if/when I get out of work. Just out of curiosity do any of you know if it's still on sale? I can't access steam at work.
Is Little Inferno still available?
L4D2 is the daily deal. It's still good until 10 AM PST today.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
for the 2-3 years ive done the sales threads so far i've always made a thread on the last day with cheap recommendations or stuff that didnt get featured thus went overlooked, wich mostly involve indies. If you want we can merge those 2 together

Yeah, but I figured people wouldnt mind having a space to discuss Indies in general. I dont think people would use the monthly Indie thread, so we could just make a new thread altogether. It would probably be the same layout as the normal monthly Indie threads. I'd grab a few games I immediately see from lists and then put up the thread and then add more recommendations from people in the threads so we could have the thread up later today instead of only the last day of the sales.

Since you are doing that last day thread usually, are you okay with me taking over that thread and posting it today and having it a community WIP? I know you've been doing the older threads and dont want to take away that responsibility if you want to make it, because in the end, its probably going to be similar to the threads you usually make.

Here's an overview:

Summer Sale cards can be earned by:

- Spending $10 on the store (one drop per $10 spent)
- Voting on Community's Choice polls (one drop per three votes)
- Crafting the Summer Sale badge (one drop per level up)
- Trading with other users/purchasing directly via the Steam Market

Everybody has the cards thing or only the people who got access in the beta? because I can't find any tab or option about cards on my steam :p

Arthea

Yeah so I'm a complete and utter beginner at steam sales, something about cards?

Anyway I have a few keys remaining from previous humble bundles for Mac. These include:

Dear Esther
Capsized
Little Inferno
Intrusion 2
Steam Rush
Proteus
Thomas was alone
Hotline Miami

Please let me know if I can help any of you guys out.

Looking to finally get around to playing Left4Dead2 at some point if/when I get out of work. Just out of curiosity do any of you know if it's still on sale? I can't access steam at work.
I would like to try Hotline Miami.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
The foil market crashed terribly when Valve removed the level 10 restriction. If you're not quick, it's essentially a race to the bottom.

Yeah hehe, there's only 3 for sale right now, i'm hoping someone with money and little time buys it, one can dream!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Everybody has the cards thing or only the people who got access in the beta? because I can't find any tab or option about cards on my steam :p

The beta ended a few weeks ago. You can see which card drops you're eligible for by viewing the badges section of your profile, and you can see a list of the available card-supporting games by clicking here.

Caerith

You liked vanilla, really? I thought it was seriously lacking, culture was useless more or less and it just felt, how I say it, bare? I stopped playing vanilla I bought gold just I could enjoy it more.
Yeah, I love vanilla. For baking and ice cream. For Civ V, ugh, no thanks, BNW or bust.

Well, I tried getting Dark Souls for 7 bucks, but Steams site is so awful, I swear. It wouldn't load past my card information, it just kept crashing. And after I finally got through, the sale was over. I'm pretty pissed.

Salsa

Since you are doing that last day thread usually, are you okay with me taking over that thread and posting it today and having it a community WIP? I know you've been doing the older threads and dont want to take away that responsibility if you want to make it, because in the end, its probably going to be similar to the threads you usually make.

of course brosef

might make the last day thread anyway with just good cheap stuff but do whatevs, plenty of indie stuff worth getting and your writeups are always good

Toothpick

Crafted a Left 4 Dead 2 badge a while ago and I just got a L4D2 booster pack while browsing the market. what sorcery is this?? i kinda want to open, or should i sell?

Duo014

Anybody got the new metro last light game for a penny? (Bestbuy)
As a euro buyer i would love to trade some of me steam codes for a copy :X

Ow and as far as steam sales go; we didn't bought a single thing yet!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
That's not possible simply due to the fact that the developers need to create the high-res card art, profile backgrounds, and emoticons.

I do hope that games coming out from now on include them though. It's interesting when I like the games, and it gets me free money when I don't.

Hilti92

Bought Civ5 and it says I bought Football Manager 2013? Wtf. I am installing Civ5 but when I purchased it, it brought my to my newly acquired items which had that there instead.

I didn't get mine either, are they supposed to show up in your inventory, or HB page, or just show up when going to buy it?

I rebooted Steam and they appeared on the restart. :)

Bought Civ5 and it says I bought Football Manager 2013? Wtf. I am installing Civ5 but when I purchased it, it brought my to my newly acquired items which had that there instead.

That not a Summer Sale Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom