• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 - Make sure you take the time to thank Gabenbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

If you can stomach the low resolution for the older Geneforge and Avernum games, they are among the best RPGs (sorry for the hyperbole, but.. its true) that arent Infinity Engine games. Especially the Geneforge series is a favourite of mine with a huge map, lots of loot and hidden secrets, an engaging summoning system, oldschool challenging situations, focus on player decisions (fight? talk? sneak?), multiple endings and great lore.

Avadon is a bit dumbed down in comparison to these series, but looks prettier/is more accessible. As I said, technical issues aside (resolution), they are hundreds of hours of complex roleplaying fun for 3 bucks. Ridiculous price considering he sold those games individually for 20€ each a few years ago.

I agree. Make sure to play Avernum: Escape from the Pit, too.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hotline Miami -- MB-436CA55FD8EB39A2 - Taken by Dipper145

ieavei

Had a spare key...

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Anomaly: Warzone Earth -- MB-AD1CC87019482EEA - Taken by Fl1pp13

The code for Dear Esther doesn't work, or doesn't work with me, so I suppose it would be best to re-release it into the wild?

Oh damn I'm really sorry man. Bear with me for a bit and I'll try to sort you out.

If I manage to nab the L4D2 four-pack before it expires, I'd love to have you in on it. Steam isn't letting me give it my money at the moment. I may need to dash to the store to get me some Wallet Cards.

That would be amazing, i'd hugely appreciate it!

Arthea

I have Civ 4 on my list of games to play once my backlog is down to 0.

That means never (><)

I decided to remind once more, that one of the best indie games Recettear is -60%
it's funny and fun, I promise! And I don't remember it being on sale before. But may be I just missed it.
scared to post pic, after gaf group chat yesterday (><)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
That means never (><)

I decided to remind once more, that one of the best indie games Recettear is -60%
it's funny and fun, I promise! And I don't remember it being on sale before. But may be I just missed it.

Pretty sure it was down to 75% already. Might get a daily.

ZenaxPure

If you can stomach the low resolution for the older Geneforge and Avernum games

As for Avadon, I've been playing it myself for a while now (I've had it forever) and it has a fairly large focus on combat. It's pretty much just your run of the mill RPG, craft stuff, explore various towns/locations and chat with NPCs, pick up side quests (most of which can be finished in different ways (Kill dudes or talk them down)). But then when the combat starts it's something more like a SRPG.

The entire world is grid based so when combat starts you will seamlessly see a grid pop up around each character. You have AP which determines how many spaces you can move and attacks you can make. In addition it uses the trinity setup so one character can tank and another can heal and there are buffs, debuffs, potions, etc. Everything you'd expect from any RPG. Based on the achievements though if you get good enough at the combat you can do crazy stuff. There is an achievement for only using 1 character the entire game for example.

Personally I've put something like 15 hours into the game and I really enjoy it, but, I am not sure it's for everyone. I think it mostly comes down to how much enjoyment you get from that style of combat because my tl;dr summary of it is "Baldur's Gate with grid based combat."

Mr_Zombie

How's Scribblenauts? I know the first game on DS was somehow disappointing (especially since it had such hype here on GAF before it was released) but the game looks really interesting. Is it worth buying and playing?

Kaizen

I NEED NEW DAILY DEALS
LLShC.gif

Caerith

That means never (><)

I'm not a hardcore 4Xer, so there's only room for one Civ game in my lifetime. Besides Civ I and Civ II, but that was a long time ago.

I love Recettear, but it's been -75% as recently as June 10. Wait for the daily deal.

KiDdYoNe

Mirror's Edge everybody! Have my PS3 copy but wanna get one on PC :D

oh, voted for it and got FUCK ME I WAS WRIGHTING "SOME CARD" BUT OPENED UP STEAM AND ITS SKYRIM FOIL LOL

caps, i love it

well, vote Mirror's Edge, get Skyrim Foil card

SparkTR

How's Scribblenauts? I know the first game on DS was somehow disappointing (especially since it had such hype here on GAF before it was released) but the game looks really interesting. Is it worth buying and playing?

It's really simple but I liked it a lot. It's charming and relaxing.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How's Scribblenauts? I know the first game on DS was somehow disappointing (especially since it had such hype here on GAF before it was released) but I'm really interested in the idea. Is it worth buying and playing?

Depends on what you expect from it. Is it worth 5&#8364;? Yes. Will some people still be disappointed? Yes.

I'd say that giving at least one Scribblenauts game a go is still a solid idea since it does something unique that you cant find in any other game (series). That gameplay experience alone is worth $5 in my opinion.

I made Cowthulhu riding on a flying Ankylosaurus to complete a quest in which a dude found his park too boring.

Atruvius

You only have sit at Skyrim's launcher to receive cards, right?
Also, I want Mirrors Egde for cheap, everyone vote for Mirrors Edge!

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Just to verify, even if I idle in the main menu of a game, Alt-Tab and do something else, I should still get their cards, am I right?

All that matters is that Steam says you're playing the game. You can even just have a launcher open if the game has one, did that with Skyrim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom