• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any kind souls out there feel like gifting either Reus or Dust to masterkajo?

I was going to gift him as he's run out of funds for this sale, but due to the marketplace lock put on my account by Valve on Saturday, I cannot buy anything for gifting until this weekend. Meh.

Freezard

OMG I won! I actually won!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much Freezard, I never played a Minecraft game and really wanted to play Terraria since it seems more like my style than the FPS view of Minecraft

Really appreciate it, thank you!

lol glad you liked it and to see that it's working :)

McNum

It upgrades your copy. It'll still just be listed as New Vegas but you'll have the DLC.
This is exactly what happened. Thanks!

So, if you're like me wanting to get the DLC for New Vegas, just buy the Ultimate Edition. It's cheaper and it'll just upgrade itself. I had hoped I'd get a gift copy of the base game, but that was probably a little naive to think. Would have been great fodder for ModBot, though.

The_Monk

The existing database has no authentication (you don't need a username/password with Enhanced Steam to save the info) but there is security there to prevent most people from just changing your profile background.

Without this authentication, it's possible for someone (who really knows what they're doing - there are a lot of hoops to jump through) to change your profile background without your consent.

To date I've had one user exploit this, and he only did so because he was upset I told him I wasn't going to add a feature to disable custom backgrounds. He's being a little bitch about it, and I don't have the time/energy/effort to build a more robust system at the moment so the best option for the safety and security of all users is to disable this feature completely going forward.

I'm just going to Quote this fine fellow GAFfer because I just wanted to say that is a shame that people go ahead and decide to lose their own time just to do something bad to another person.

It's just not right.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm just going to Quote this fine fellow GAFfer because I just wanted to say that is a shame that people go ahead and decide to lose their own time just to do something bad to another person.

It's just not right.

Thanks Monk - I really have appreciated your fine words these last few days. You guys all know that I've worked hard on this feature. It may come back some day when it can be better secured but for now I really do apologize to the users who use this feature and enjoy it.

GUYS GUYS. GET REUS. I've just started playing it and soundtrack is amazingly relaxing and the gameplay seems like a lot of fun! Don't let it lay in your backlogs, worth your money and time!

Crayons

Banned

OH MY GOD I SERIOUSLY LOVE YOU

lmc6PM0.png

Thank you so much!

Tellaerin

I'm sorry, but why are you putting someone on blast for?

In a nutshell:

There is a user that requested a feature that I didn't want to add. When I responded and told him that he was free to add the feature himself (because the software is open-source) he became quite rude and left a negative review on Google.

So this morning I caught him tampering with the database and have disabled access until it's sorted out. I've contacted his university. Sorry for the trouble everyone.

He wanted a way to opt out of custom profile backgrounds. Not his, but everyone's. He said it confused him that someone could have a different background in the client and on the web.

I don't get it either. I'm stuck in a hard place. Either I give in to this user's demands (which is no guarantee he'll leave things alone) or I remove the feature all together. (No more custom backgrounds)

If anyone wants to leave a message on his wall (it's public) or possibly get his side of things, here is his Steam ID.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/zr40

Lissar

Reluctant Member
GUYS GUYS. GET REUS. I've just started playing it and soundtrack is amazingly relaxing and the gameplay seems like a lot of fun! Don't let it lay in your backlogs, worth your money and time!

As I have told people multiple times! People really ought to play it.

Salsa

So I thought about this a little bit, as Robin Hood is my favourite Disney movie and I'm a big Disney fan anyway, but in general not a huge anthropomorphic animal art fan. In Robin Hood almost no one other than Sir Hiss, Nutsy, and Trigger actually acts like an animal (and in all those cases they are sort of constrained by their physical forms to act more like an animal). In contrast to, say, The Fox and the Hound which also has a fox main character but who clearly acts like a fox. There's a fluidity to Dust that makes it feel, to me at least least, a little bit more like animals and a bit less like humans--in part I think this reflects the fact that Robin Hood was made on an extreme budget, and the fact that Noogy is an animator and clearly prioritized fluidity of animation and movement in making Dust, but it's also a stylistic choice. The characters in Robin Hood have a sort of lethargic, human quality to their movement. Even in the scenes where Robin Hood is very agile and the motions very frenetic (and when the movie goes for slapstick notes), there's still a constraint to the way movement occurs that is missing here.

Not just in the movement, but also in the expressions. I think the side-kick (Fidget, right? It's been a while since I played the demo) is probably the factor that people most readily identify as "furry". High pitched voice, very cutesy look... I think there's a, uh, cloying over-eagerness about that character, an emotiveness which feels more like the kind of zany stuff produced by the anthropomorphic community. Here I'm thinking of webcomics primarily, which I feel really overdo the energy and excitement level. You see a little bit of this in Dust as a character--his expressions in particular are quite cartoonish and big. That's a style thing and I'm absolutely not knocking Noogy's work, because I think the fact that Dust was a labour of love is evident in every facet of the game and to that end it's a real triumph, but I think it's there.

Something about the colours too. Dust has what seems to mostly be a pastel palette to me (although there are some neons and some dark scenes). I don't know how I would describe Robin Hood's palette. It's not the kind of "gothic" colours I associate with something like Snow White, it's considerably brighter in parts than The Fox and the Hound... I dunno.

I wish I knew more about animation so I could articulate what I see. I do think Dust is definitely a lot closer to the mental image I have of something being "furry" than Robin Hood is. Something like Blade Kitten is something that pops out as VERY furry to me, to give another point of comparison. I hope I don't sound like a lunatic.

I honestly think it's mostly the sidekick, both in what makes you feel that way and what makes the community in general associate the game easily to the whole furry thing. Attitude + voice acting + cutsey design, as you say.

The whole Disney thing was apparent for me mainly cause it's not like you see guys that are RIPPED or the usual stuff you see in furry art, but it's not like they look the same, no. I talked to Noogy about it and he basically said that yeah it was kind of a bummer that the game got some hate on because of that and pretty confirmed that most of his inspirations came from early Disney stuff.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hey guys. I miss anything?

ReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReusReus!

screen1.jpg

It seems to be a mixture between a god game,a puzzle game and some 4X elements thrown in (research, expansion, war). Not directly a puzzle game, but how you need to make sure that your village prospers with limited amount of space and within the scope of that, there seem to be tons of possibilities for different plants, animals, minerals, which all have a different symbiosis to something to enhance the effect, giving it a bit of a 4X touch as well. Example: Blueberries give you 4 food, but if you upgrade them to strawberries you get 8 food and if the strawberries are next to another patch of blueberries, they get an additional 2 food on top. All this helps developing your villages, which in turn is needed to advance the powers of your giants. Its really slick and charming and considering the surprising amount of variation and possibilities (100 plants), I can see myself playing this for a while. Its also suuuper cool to just watch people doing their thing. They really managed to give this game a special touch.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558684

50% off!

Reus Daily Deal!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Oh really? Its good, huh?

Shadowplay1979

Gold Member
I honestly think it's mostly the sidekick, both in what makes you feel that way and what makes the community in general associate the game easily to the whole furry thing. Attitude + voice acting + cutsey design, as you say.

The whole Disney thing was apparent for me mainly cause it's not like you see guys that are RIPPED or the usual stuff you see in furry art, but it's not like they look the same, no. I talked to Noogy about it and he basically said that yeah it was kind of a bummer that the game got some hate on because of that and pretty confirmed that most of his inspirations came from early Disney stuff.

Its sad but true, furries have pretty much ruined anything ever for me that stars an anthrapamorphic character. I can't look at star fox without cringing.

MikeDown

Banned
Man, I really wish Remember Me got better reviews than it did. It looks amazing, but it probably isn't $30 worth of amazing :(

The soundtrack alone is worth 30 dollars IMO. That said, you could love the lore, story, characters, simplistic platforming, linear level design, setting and all that but if you don't like the combat you probably won't enjoy the game. In my case I really enjoyed the combat. If you have more questions bout it I will be happy to explain sum more about it. :)

So this morning I caught him tampering with the database and have disabled access until it's sorted out. I've contacted his university. Sorry for the trouble everyone.

Is that why web-based Steam keeps telling me I have DLC for stuff like Trine 2, Fallout New Vegas Etc? Is that an enhanced Steam thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom