• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #4 - Thread 4!?!? for questions read OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
HtZOxh5.png

Finally! Can't believe how much I ended up delaying playing Year of the Snake, but there you have it. I liked that it was a meatier DLC, the new missions and mechanics (taser, handcuffs), but I wish they had gone full ridiculous with the story here like they did with Zodiac Tournament and Nightmare in North Point. Best quote:
"What would the communists have to gain? They already have the city back."

Crafted the badge too but I wish the backgrounds weren't so shit because the cards look really cool. :(

HtZOxh5.png

Finally! Can't believe how much I ended up delaying playing Year of the Snake, but there you have it. I liked that it was a meatier DLC, the new missions and mechanics (taser, handcuffs), but I wish they had gone full ridiculous with the story here like they did with Zodiac Tournament and Nightmare in North Point. Best quote:
"What would the communists have to gain? They already have the city back."

Crafted the badge too but I wish the backgrounds weren't so shit because the cards look really cool. :(

Ah, I was going to ask if any Sleepy Dogs DLC was worth buying.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ah, I was going to ask if any Sleepy Dogs DLC was worth buying. I love the base game.
I'll be lazy and quote EatChildren's posts concerning the DLC from another thread because he summed it up pretty well:
Story:
Year of the Snake <- Longest, canon
Nightmare at Northpoint <- Non-canon, references the main plot (play it after completion), satire of Chinese horror films
Zodiac Tournament <- Irrelevant if canon, satire of Chinese kung fu movies

Little-to-no story, more arcade:
Wheels of Fury <- Wei Shen builds a batmobile. Lots of arcade missions.
SWAT pack <- Handful of generic police missions
Street Racer pack <- Handful of racing missions

Most everything else is a costume or aesthetic pack. Costumes often come with some goofy bonus weapon or move, or a bonus vehicle (eg: Monkey King pack comes with a costume, staff, and cloud bike). Some packs come with one arcade mission, like a generic fist fight tournament.

A vast majority of the DLC is costume packs, and most of the mission DLC is satirical and non-canon (or so absurd it couldn't be). Nightmare at Northpoint is a satirical take on C-grade Chinese horror films. Zodiac Tournament does the same of C-grade Chinese kung fu movies from the 60s/70s. Both are awesome in their satire, but also pretty short lived and one note, focusing on the former for enjoyment. Wheels of Fury is all kinds of dumb fun because it's based around Wei Shen building his own batmobile. The construction missions are very short and few, but there's a bunch of arcade missions after. It's far less story driven and more based around vehicle arcade-like missions.

Year of the Snake is probably the meatiest of them all, and is also the one distinctly canon, as it takes place after the main game. Doesn't really advance the plot, but it's grounded in the Sleeping Dogs universe and Wei Shen's character arc. It doesn't introduce much new, but uses more or less every base mechanic from Sleeping Dogs to make up a variety of missions. Of all the DLC it's the one that feels the most focused, complete, and like it would be part of the main game rather than a side diversion.

Grief.exe

Really on the fence about Chivalry, it looks pretty slick but my brother in law said he's got both Chivalry and War of Roses and said he prefers WoR by a mile.

Your sister made a bad decision.

war of the roses is a good game, Chivalry's combat is just significantly deeper

Did anything happen with the Fallen Enchantress pricing error? It was listed at a negative price when I originally checked it, I wonder if anyone got it for free...

didn't enjoy the combat at all, maybe because I just played it this year instead of when it came out but I just didn't like it.

world/story I liked, just not enough to carry the game for me

Hmmm, combat isn't a usual complaint I hear about the first game. It does have more depth this time around though. There are also some very interesting magical weapons that add a bit of variety.

I need to go back to school and start an engineering degree before I can play Kerbal Space Program. No wonder it's the most popular game at NASA. It's not super accessible that's for sure. I may have to give it more time or chalk it up as not being smart enough to figure it out. I is a dumb doodoo head.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Guess I'll go Left 4 Dead 2. People seem to still play the shit out of that. I'm sure it will drop down again, I'll just wait for it.
You can't go wrong with L4D2. In fact, I'm currently playing it with a couple of friends as we speak (I'm dead, that's why I'm posting here instead of killing zombies.)

Grief.exe

Is Prison Architect worth its ridiculous price?

Yeah, Seems a bit steep for a shitty looking indie game, I don't care how cool it is.

In Prison Architect is there riots randomly? Do guards get shanked? Do prisoners try to escape? In now or planned features? Price is steep.

info:

I've said this before, but the developers of Prison Architect decided to release the Alpha for a base price.

This was to allow only the truly dedicated players in to alpha test their game and help them towards release.
Rather than joe schmo, who see bugs, request a refund, and then go on forums and bitch because of his ignorance.

I believe the base price will actually go down as the game moves towards release.

I need to go back to school and start an engineering degree before I can play Kerbal Space Program. No wonder it's the most popular game at NASA. It's not super accessible that's for sure. I may have to give it more time or chalk it up as not being smart enough to figure it out. I is a dumb doodoo head.

The more I hear about this game, the more I need it. Just don't want to spend $13 on it right now :\

I'd totally bite at $7.50-ish.

Volotaire

Guess I'll go Left 4 Dead 2. People seem to still play the shit out of that. I'm sure it will drop down again, I'll just wait for it.

You can't go wrong with L4D2. In fact, I'm currently playing it with a couple of friends as we speak (I'm dead, that's why I'm posting here instead of killing zombies.)

DISCLAIMER:!!!

Originally Posted by Munin

I wanna buy either Left 4 Dead 2 or Killing Floor. I tried Killing Floor, as it's free right now, and it seems fun enough, but also maybe something that would become boring pretty soon unless played in a LAN environment with lots of beer.

It feels like a really polished mod from circa 2004, which it is, I guess, just not sure about the staying power.

How's L4D2? Any better?

Originally Posted by Volotaire

No point in l4D1, All l4d1 content has been brought into l4d2 now.

Moreover the community for L4D1 now is pitifully low compared to l4d2

And I will warn this to anyone planning on l4d2 online (the main component of L4d series):

The community sucks : very hostile , full of rage quitters and hostile to noobs. Best to play with friends to get experience and have fun.
Originally Posted by PetriP-TNT

I agree. Surprisingly shitty experience, I bought the bundle when it was on sale couple of months ago. Most of the times I would wait 15 minutes to find a game, just to be team killed by someone on purpose. I played it for like 10 hours and could finish only one or two games. The game itself was good but useless if not played with friends.

Originally Posted by Volotaire

here should be a disclaimer in all steam threads just for this. I'm serious.

Because it's bad when you're new, really bad. It sucks.

And you're right about finding lobbies, if a team loses the first round, when one or two rage quit, everyone does, rinse and repeat for about 4 or 5 games, you've waited an hour for a proper game.

Best to join quick games, and even then, there will still be pubs, rages and all sorts.

The thing is, if you can get good or play with friends, it's an extremely satisfying game. One of my favourite multiplayer games.

I have 550 hours in the game

The barriers to entry are high, the end result is fantastic if you can get there.

I've said this before, but the developers of Prison Architect decided to release the Alpha for a base price.

This was to allow only the truly dedicated players in to alpha test their game and help them towards release.
Rather than joe schmo, who see bugs, request a refund, and then go on forums and bitch because of his ignorance.

I believe the base price will actually go down as the game moves towards release.

I'll never understand this. Yes, it keeps out "Joe Schmo", but it also punishes the most dedicated players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom