• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale Returns Thursday June 27th

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
For what it's worth, "key sellers" is a broad umbrella term that covers places like Green Man Gaming, Fanatical, or Humble Store which all source their keys directly from the developers. If you buy a key from one of these shops, the developers get paid. In fact, depending on the store and the sales volume, they usually get a bigger percentage cut than selling on Steam. This is how they can discount games more heavily on these sites while still making approximately the same amount in most cases.

Yes, I think of keysellers as the G2A's, Kinguin's, Eneba's, Gamivo's, etc... of the world. Those are keysellers that harm developers. Then there's digital resellers that get their keys from the developer/publisher or from an authorized distributor, like Green Man Gaming, Humble, Fanatical, IndieGala, etc.. where the developers get their cut. Those of course are fine.

Both gg.deals and IsThereAnyDeal are able to make that distinction for you automatically with their price tracking, so you can choose to only buy through legit sellers, which is nice.

The keys come from the developers and steam doesn't take a cut of that money. Probably the biggest source of keys being dumped on the market and driving down prices is them being an unwanted item in a humble bundle.

Keysellers regularly acquire their keys illegally through fraudulent credit card transactions:

Indie dev says gray market key seller cost them $450K in sales

Developers call for players to pirate their games rather than buy from G2A

Last edited:
I've pretty much retired from PC gaming. Anything that is available on consoles I just buy it there. I'd rather buy an old Xbox 360 disc than the digital PC version. I think I have four items on my wishlist now.

I recently had some fun with Civilization Revolution and it made me crave Civ 4 again. I just missed it being on sale for $3 last month. I'm hoping it's on sale again.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
My wallet is not ready
giphy.gif

Planning on getting and starting Baldur's Gate 3 this weekend.
I wish I could sell you my copy. It's my biggest gaming purchase regret, ever.

No Man's Sky and Dragon's Dogma 2 are in the top 3, but at least I was able to sell those retail discs. BG3 is forever a reminder that I wasted $100 on a digital game with four hours played.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Eh... the sales have been fairly lackluster over the last few years.

Like 20-30% off isn't really anything to go wild over anymore.

Just wait a year and it'll be almost 60-70% cheaper anyway, especially if it was game that didn't sell to well to begin with

Zimmy68

Another disappointing sale coming.
I swear Steam must pay people to post the wallet being afraid meme.
The sales are always the same.

Let me go out on a limb and guess Sekiro will be part of this huge sale for the pearl clutching amount of $29.99!!!
There, I said it. I don't like putting myself out there but I am going to predict it!

I wish I could sell you my copy. It's my biggest gaming purchase regret, ever.

No Man's Sky and Dragon's Dogma 2 are in the top 3, but at least I was able to sell those retail discs. BG3 is forever a reminder that I wasted $100 on a digital game with four hours played.
I played Divinity: Original Sin II recently and loved it, so I'm not really worried.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Let me go out on a limb and guess Sekiro will be part of this huge sale for the pearl clutching amount of $29.99!!!
There, I said it. I don't like putting myself out there but I am going to predict it!
It's almost a meme at this point. The game has had a total of 14 seasonal sales on Steam since it released, and it's been $29.99 every time.

pS7bOZL.png

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
This is my first steam sale having a PC. Do they release the list of games before the date it drops?
Nope. I'd advise having the games you are interested in wishlisted on Steam, so when the sale drops, you can sort your wishlist by discount.

I have 186 games on mine, and tomorrow's payday so... let's see how this goes. :goog_relieved:

Last edited:
Sekiro on PS5 is 60fps, can be bought physically, and is already available to buy for the steam sale price.

I say this as someone who wanted to buy it on PC last year, saw that it was still full MSRP, so bought a used disc copy instead.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I reached a point sometime last year where I had bought most titles I had on my Wishlist and all of them for discounted prices over the years. The vast majority being older titles, but now it seems the only games left on my list are ones that never go on sale.

Essentially reached a "caught up" point on titles.
I always think that I am caught up also, but then I find $200 dollars worth of games in my cart. I only plan to pick up Star Ocean this time around and maybe Radical Dreamers.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder if it's too soon to expect a significant discount on Dragon's Dogma II

Sorcerer

This is my first steam sale having a PC. Do they release the list of games before the date it drops?
Nope. Not officially anyway. That would be suicidal for the publishers. Their seems to be databases that measure every aspect of Steam. I'm surprised their is not one that leaks the sales in terms of games and prices.

Last edited:

Holammer

Not a ton in my list, but if the discounts are large enough I'll be keeping my eyes on:

• Penny's Big Breakaway
  • Death Stranding
  • Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden
  • INDIKA
  • Crow Country
  • Viewfinder
  • Half-Life: Alyx
  • A Hat in Time
  • Alone in the Dark 2024
A Hat in Time is regularly 50%, never lower. Great game, that's why they seldom give it a deep discount which leads me too...

Another disappointing sale coming.
I swear Steam must pay people to post the wallet being afraid meme.
The sales are always the same.

There's no reason to sell it for cheap when it's still selling well. It's well received with a 94% user score and when someone is bitten by the souls bug they'll eventually arrive at Sekiro and that's another easy sale. When a game underperforms it'll be slapped in a bundle, free on EGS or sold at a deep discount.

Zimmy68

A Hat in Time is regularly 50%, never lower. Great game, that's why they seldom give it a deep discount which leads me too...

There's no reason to sell it for cheap when it's still selling well. It's well received with a 94% user score and when someone is bitten by the souls bug they'll eventually arrive at Sekiro and that's another easy sale. When a game underperforms it'll be slapped in a bundle, free on EGS or sold at a deep discount.
The reality is, the MSRP is $29 and anyone who buys it higher is a huge sucker.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Create a wish list on GG.deals, not on Steam. When the Steam sale starts, there will probably be better deals from other (legal) key stores. GG.deals also allows you to see the price history, it has a price tracker, etc.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This means gg deals is legal right?

GG.deals shows you both deals on legal online game stores and shady keyshops. It's up to you to where you want to spend your money. There's an option at the top of the screen to hide all references to keyshops.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Today's the day... although I think I've already bought everything I wanted at the moment.
Maybe some cosmetic DLC will be on sale for super cheap or something.

Nope. As somebody else said wishlist everything you want and just check that.

I wouldn't expect too awfully much though, Steam sales have gotten worse and worse over the years. We haven't seen the glory days of 90% off semi-new releases, and huge flash sales in a very long time.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Well...my Steam Deck got left stick drift. Did a dead zone calibration but still has issues. I don't even play it a ton, and certainly not any fast paced action games requiring a lot of stick movement. Guess I'm screwed. Well I wanted a bunch of new Steam games from the sale....but I guess not now.

SunnySideGuy

Neo Member
I would love to see Suicide Squad drop to like $15. Brother has been asking me to play it but I don't want to spend much on it at this point lol

Well...my Steam Deck got left stick drift. Did a dead zone calibration but still has issues. I don't even play it a ton, and certainly not any fast paced action games requiring a lot of stick movement. Guess I'm screwed. Well I wanted a bunch of new Steam games from the sale....but I guess not now.

If it's in warranty, their repairs are pretty good - I had a power issue with the OG and then a fuzzy headphone socket with the OLED and they switched both out within a week or two.

Top Bottom