• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale Returns Thursday June 27th

Sophist

Ugh, I really wish I could find a good JRPG to get on sale, but I have no idea what to get. I feel like I've play most of the really good ones already, so even when I look up lists of "best jrpgs on steam", it always gives me a list of things I've already finished. The only exception is maybe the Trails series, which is just...a huge commitment that I'm not sure I'm ready for.
Worth it at such a low price.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
A game that i had my eyes on for sometime has a new historic low price. This game is only available on Steam and not offered anywhere else; don't expect a better deal anytime soon.
To be honest i don't know much about the game itself except that it's like old RPGs , looks original, and has good reviews. The price is still too high for me.
Has anyone played this game?

Quit being a cheapskate and buy it. I went through and bought it.
It made my heart and soul happy. If you have gaming fatigue, this will fix it.

Holammer

I bought Chasm when it launched on PS4 and it was super disappointing.
Yes, that's the vibe I'm getting about the game. It was pretty cheap and I can support the dev with a few bux on their next game.
It's a 16-bit style metroidvania with nazis & zombies, y'know... The usual.

bender

What time is it?
Yes, that's the vibe I'm getting about the game. It was pretty cheap and I can support the dev with a few bux on their next game.

Hopefully not procedurally generated like Chasm which I think hampered the design.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I want to recommend this game to fans of old horror such as Resident Evil. I purchased it ages ago at full price and was not disappointed. Now it's dirt cheap!

No excuse, everyone buy it.

This game reminds me of classic survival horror games too and reviewed pretty good as well. But it is a new game so the discount isn’t huge

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I want to buy an old-school-Atari-type arcade space shooter game.

Something like the following picture, but obviously more with modern-day visuals, skills, progression, etc.

screen_14a.png

Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
I enjoyed ZeroRanger

Power Pro

How easy? I hate survival horrors but I might give it a try if it’s actually easy.
Easy enough where I didn't die the whole time, and I could avoid enemies pretty easily. The most challenging part of the game is probably just locatingall the items and upgrades, but even that is not super hard.

TheStam

this game is amazing. read the steam reviews.

Thinking of getting this as I am addicted to roguelite deckbuilders and this one is pretty much the best reviewed one I haven't played. But I am a little bit put off by the waifu-like theme and story it seems to have. Is the tactical gameplay itself great or are people liking better for the story and characters I wonder?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Thinking of getting this as I am addicted to roguelite deckbuilders and this one is pretty much the best reviewed one I haven't played. But I am a little bit put off by the waifu-like theme and story it seems to have. Is the tactical gameplay itself great or are people liking better for the story and characters I wonder?

It is by far the most mechanically deep one of these I have played and I have played all the big ones. The story is cool but tbh I skipped a lot of it. There is so much going on with the combat and builds that it’s kind of overwhelming at first, but once you wrap your head around it and unlock more characters it is so satisfying to play. I got like 80 hours of it and still play. My only complaint is the controller UI is kind of wonky but I still played a ton of it on steam deck.

Holammer

I bought these:

MUQAjKE.png

9zvlhwY.png

Plus Arx Fatalis and Return to Castle Wolfenstein from CDKEYS because they were a tiny bit cheaper there.
Cultured gamers should check out Pseudoregalia. It was made in a short period of time for a Metroidvania themed Game Jam last year where it turned some heads. It's been polished a little since they started selling it on Steam. Good music and suitably low poly N64'esque visuals, it's one of few games that made me swing the controller like some spaz while doing difficult jumps.

TheStam

It is by far the most mechanically deep one of these I have played and I have played all the big ones. The story is cool but tbh I skipped a lot of it. There is so much going on with the combat and builds that it’s kind of overwhelming at first, but once you wrap your head around it and unlock more characters it is so satisfying to play. I got like 80 hours of it and still play. My only complaint is the controller UI is kind of wonky but I still played a ton of it on steam deck.

Sounds very promising, thanks! Played a million hours of STS, but also played a lot of Roguebook, Monster Train, Balatro, Cobalt Core and others as well. They really are perfect Steam Deck games. I got Wildfrost yesterday, but will pickup Chrono Ark as well. That's (hopefully) me done for this sale.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Sounds very promising, thanks! Played a million hours of STS, but also played a lot of Roguebook, Monster Train, Balatro, Cobalt Core and others as well. They really are perfect Steam Deck games. I got Wildfrost yesterday, but will pickup Chrono Ark as well. That's (hopefully) me done for this sale.

If you liked Roguebook you will probably like this. It’s kind of similar conceptually where you pick characters and they have their own decks / synergies but Chrono Ark has like 20 characters and you have a party of 4 by the end of the run.

TheStam

If you liked Roguebook you will probably like this. It’s kind of similar conceptually where you pick characters and they have their own decks / synergies but Chrono Ark has like 20 characters and you have a party of 4 by the end of the run.

Nice! Roguebook has climbed to my second favorite game in the genre after STS. Wasn't a huge fan at first, but it really grew on me. And the synergy between characters is one of the best aspects of it.

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member

Honestly, Metal Slug 3's Stage 2 knocked that idea out of the park so hard that everything pales in comparison. I really liked the look of Chasm, but the demo with procedurally generated crap killed all my enthusiasm and I figure that this will do the same thing.

I got DUSK, it's supposed to be better than Doom Eternal, i have my doubts, though.
DUSK is fucking great. I think it's my favourite of the retro boomer shooters I've played. I'm not sure it's really fair to compare it to Doom Eternal though. They both achieve awesome things with very different budgets and have their own place to me. Loved both games equally.

amigastar

DUSK is fucking great. I think it's my favourite of the retro boomer shooters I've played. I'm not sure it's really fair to compare it to Doom Eternal though. They both achieve awesome things with very different budgets and have their own place to me. Loved both games equally.
I love Doom Eternal, but good to hear DUSK is great, also.

Last edited:

Holammer

Honestly, Metal Slug 3's Stage 2 knocked that idea out of the park so hard that everything pales in comparison. I really liked the look of Chasm, but the demo with procedurally generated crap killed all my enthusiasm and I figure that this will do the same thing.

Wolfhound will not have procedurally generated levels, they're going with a "single, intricately-designed world".
With Pixel art by Rafael Ventura, the guy that made the pixel art for Shantae and Pirate's Curse (the best shantae!) and music by RushJet1. I think it'll do fine.

Btw, Akio, the guy that made the iconic sprite art in Metal Slug is working on a new game.
Shame about the 3D backgrounds

John Bilbo

I bought these:

MUQAjKE.png

9zvlhwY.png

Plus Arx Fatalis and Return to Castle Wolfenstein from CDKEYS because they were a tiny bit cheaper there.
I cannot recommend buying the Shock Troopers dotemu port on Steam. It has severe stutter issues. The Hamster port on Switch and Windows shop seems to be the way to go.

Edit: Actually I cannot recommend the Metal Slug ports on Steam either. I think I'll pass on the Dotemu ports in the future.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

I got DUSK, it's supposed to be better than Doom Eternal, i have my doubts, though.
I like Dusk, and felt that I had played it a long time, but I had only played 7 hours according to Steam..
It's one of those games I'll play for a while, then put away when something new comes along. Definitly prefer Doom Eternal, although two quite different games in most ways.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
surprise surprise.. falcom has a sale on everything except daybreak :messenger_weary: A game that technically launch last year.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Bought megaman zero collection at last for $10.

Bought streets of rage 4 for steam deck access. Usually I play on ps5 or off game pass so I never bought the game. Happy to support it and the dlc.

Hope we get a sor5 soon.

Jaybe

Bought a Steam Deck this morning. Will grab Balatro, Slay the Spire, and Hades before the sale ends. Played the last two on other systems but nice to now it it for my permanent platform. Maybe Stray as well. I also have a 2024 MacBook Air and apparently these games all work on that too.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Bought a Steam Deck this morning. Will grab Balatro, Slay the Spire, and Hades before the sale ends. Played the last two on other systems but nice to now it it for my permanent platform. Maybe Stray as well. I also have a 2024 MacBook Air and apparently these games all work on that too.
Don’t forget hades 2.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Cultured gamers should check out Pseudoregalia. It was made in a short period of time for a Metroidvania themed Game Jam last year where it turned some heads. It's been polished a little since they started selling it on Steam. Good music and suitably low poly N64'esque visuals, it's one of few games that made me swing the controller like some spaz while doing difficult jumps.

Furry game no thanks

Top Bottom