• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAss2961

I first played Half-Life 2 really late to the party on an old typical POS PC that was bought from a store, and of course your average CRT monitor. Low-mid ass settings at a resolution I can't remember, and like 15 to 25 FPS... Still was immersed and loved the game. It convinced me to make the jump to modern PC gaming.

Tess3ract

Banned
Gonna have to jump on the boat. HL2 series was awesome at the time, but playing it in 2012 is kind of disappointing, there are better shooters.

If game is currently not on sale at all, is there any possibility it might still go up for a daily deal or a flash deal? Or is it basically hopeless.

Wondering specifically about Magic 2013

It's not 100% but from what I've seen in Steam sales usually the publishers who do / get the daily deals often have at least a small publisher discount running through the rest of the sale. So I'd say that while I'd still wait and see if it pops up a game without any discount currently is the least likely to get a daily sale. Though other Steam Sale experts might correct me on that.

So far:

Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
Warlock - Master of the Arcane (DLC: Power of Serpent, Pre-order Pack)
Crusader Kings II DLC: The Sword of Islam, Ruler Designer, Songs of the Holy Land, Songs of the Caliph, African Unit Pack

Not a bad haul!

So can I buy something and stick it in my inventory to cash in to my own account later?

I want the Binding of Isaac DLC but I want to keep my game vanilla for like, maybe two more achievements.

Gonna have to jump on the boat. HL2 series was awesome at the time, but playing it in 2012 is kind of disappointing, there are better shooters.

Exactly. Saying that it was amazing 10 years ago but is just mediocre by todays standards is not dissing the game, it's just the straight up truth. There are better adventure / rpg games now than the original Legend of Zelda too. That's not blasphemy, it's just common sense.

So far:

Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
Warlock - Master of the Arcane (DLC: Power of Serpent, Pre-order Pack)
Crusader Kings II DLC: The Sword of Islam, Ruler Designer, Songs of the Holy Land, Songs of the Caliph, African Unit Pack

Not a bad haul!

Any thoughts on The Sword of Islam DLC? It's not in the complete edition so don't know if I should buy it or not.

Thats... really small.

Not for Payday. It's generally about 2-300 at any time, pre-sale. Still, I never had problems finding games or getting people to join my hosted games.

Also, DLC is coming, whenever Sony decides to stop holding it up. I feel bad for the Payday devs because I'm certain they wanted it released for this sale.

Owensboro

I'm a little surprised to hear that. I've only played Bioshock and the new Deus Ex that match that description. What have I missed?

Metro 2033 is pretty wonderful in that reguard. That is, if you can get over a little of the Eastern European jank (which I think just makes it a little more endearing).

metalshade

After having NEVER had a PC decent enough to play games, I am about to build my first ever rig myself. In preparation, this is my first Steam sale, and GAF, to someone like me, NONE of this is disappointing.
So far I have:
Half-Life Complete.
Deus Ex Collection.
Portal 2.
Portal.

I have spent about £21, and I expect to have many more amazing things to add to my list.
I have never gamed on PC, I am so excited.
My wife thinks I am a bit nuts cos every few mins I go WOW LOOK AT THE PRICES!

So far I've sprung on:

* Syberia Collection
* Lara Croft: GoL and all DLC (I played this for XBLA a long time ago but gonna replay it for PC)
* Terraria
* Ys: Oath in Felghana
* Dungeons Gold

Still looking at getting

* Ys Origin
* Stacking
* Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
* Skyrim
* Witcher 2

if any of them hit a daily or flash deal.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
How's Guardian of Light? Thinkin' about getting it but I have no prior experience with any of the Tomb Raider games.

It's not really like the other games; the other games are third person platform/puzzle/action games, and Guardian of Light is overhead isometric.

The game is fucking fantastic, though. Buy immediately.

Alex

I always feel bad because I've spent more than most. I'm out about 75 bucks so far. This isn't my first Steam sale, but it is the first Steam sale after I've decided I really want to be done with consoles as much as possible and started throwing tons of random appealing things into the cart.

Helmholtz

HL2 still holds up for the most part, and is one of the best games ever made, along with its episodes. It is very deliberately paced, which seems to throw some people off, but it's really not a bad thing at all. The environments, characters, and sense of exploration are pretty fantastic. Anyone who hasn't played it or its episodes really needs to get on that.
It was Half-Life 2. Not one of the HL2 Episode [x].

Dunno if that makes a difference.
The thing is, the speed boat section is still near the beginning of the game. You missed out on some awesome environments and moments. But you're right in that Half Life 2 is much more slower paced than your typical shooter, but that's part of the reason I like it. The episodes are definitely more fast-paced though, and episode 2 is arguably the best thing in the series.

Gintoki

So can I buy something and stick it in my inventory to cash in to my own account later?

I want the Binding of Isaac DLC but I want to keep my game vanilla for like, maybe two more achievements.

Yup. Just choose "Purchase as a gift" then "Store the gift in my inventory"

Glad differing tastes results in me being told to "f off." Lovely.

Your serious...

Honestly you wouldn't even have these steam sales if people like me didn't buy and love Half Life all those years ago, there would be no Steam. I generally find it beyond reason for people to dislike HL1, the game elevated games to a much more interesting experience, the beginning of the new age, and I love it for that. HL2 did the same thing, though to a lesser degree.

Obviously I'm being lighthearted about it though.

BeesEight

It was Half-Life 2. Not one of the HL2 Episode [x].

Dunno if that makes a difference.

The problem is if you played HL well after it was released and all its direction and style was co-adopted by pretty much every other game on the market or not. I played HL2 last year and wasn't really enamoured with it either but I could see how it was revolutionary for its time. It's still a good game, especially if you remember to account for when it was released. But I agree I was a little bored with it too.

I always feel bad because I've spent more than most. I'm out about 75 bucks so far. This isn't my first Steam sale, but it is the first Steam sale after I've decided I really want to be done with consoles as much as possible and started throwing tons of random appealing things into the cart.

One of us, one of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom