• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

Is it just me or are the publisher packs extremely lackluster compared to previous sales?

I really like the UBISOFT one, quelle surprise. It has from dust/might and magic heroes VI/Rayman Origins/Beyond Good and Evil and Driver San Francisco. :D

benjipwns

Banned
Is it just me or are the publisher packs extremely lackluster compared to previous sales?
They appear to have figured out you can give people stuff that didn't sell along with older titles for the $50 and then sell them on all the big recent games separately instead of giving it all to you for the price of one game.

Sophia

I just created a Steam account for the previous Humble Indie Bundle and this sale is really drawing me in. I haven't spent any money yet but its so tempting.

Hmm... how to go about constructing a backlog? I have no idea which games to get (although I'm hovering over 'Buy' for Portal 2).

I'm just afraid that once I open my wallet I won't be able to close it!

Portal 2, Legend of Grimrock, Hard Reset, Total War, Terraria, MW3, all really good buys today. <3

benjipwns

Banned
I just created a Steam account for the previous Humble Indie Bundle and this sale is really drawing me in. I haven't spent any money yet but its so tempting.

Hmm... how to go about constructing a backlog? I have no idea which games to get (although I'm hovering over 'Buy' for Portal 2).

Use the wishlist. Set maximum prices.

marrec

Banned
Crusader's King 2 is excellent. I want to thank who convinced me to buy it yesterday, but it is now lost on the ocean of this thread.
My first game was so funny. I am minding my busisness as the king of what-one-day-will-be-Portugal and my only desire is to really have a son. So, obviously, I have 2 daughters and my dream of pacifism is not disrupt by direct war, but by my brother kidnapping my sister and asking for ransom; which I say to him fuck you and start a plot to kill him.
And the plot is going great, I got a real army of barons and dukes ready to help me kill the asshole when... I die of natural causes.
So my 4 year old daughter assumes the kingdom and all the intrigue with her uncle is gone, just doesn't make sense anymore; so now I just want to grow up and be a good little queen when someone kills my 4 year old queen.
Ok, I got another daughter... who was born with a mental illness and die at the age of 5.
And so is the end of my first game and of my lineage. It looks just a series of disasters - and it was - but also was so much fun and engaging. I was actually plotting to kill a rival king not because of gameplay advantages, but because he was an asshole (I mean, really, kidnapping our sister? What the fuck?) and the notion that the course of history was changed, then, by one natural death followed by one murder followed by another natural death is great.
Anyway, here is me recommending the game.

Okay, I'm buying this game.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
After hearing the praise for Divine Divinity, added it to my wishlist. Had no idea what it was really. Looks like a perfect candidate for a last day pickup.
There is a prequel coming out as well that looks great. The sequel is a third person game that is okay but no where near as great as DD. I also love isometric games. Its a big game that will absorb you like crazy since it is so fun and addictive (like Bethesda games are to me these days) so be warned. The video on the store page is brilliant and true. :)

suzu

Should definitely get Portal 2, especially at that price!

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
It's worth buying now but there is a pretty high chance it might go cheaper as a daily.

You could wait for a Goty, but there is a good chance you will be able to get the game + all DLC cheaper on separate sales by the time the Goty is out.

It's not worth buying right now.

Wait for it to be a daily, and buy it on the last day of the sale if it doesn't become a daily.

Ledsen

Purchased Shogun 2! Can't wait for it to finish it's install. Played it before (borrowed from a friend), didn't enjoy it. But for 10 bucks I just couldn't let it slide, hopefully it will be more enjoyable.

Hoping to pick up fallout:new vegas for 5 euros or something. Also hoping that the price of Amnesia, Dear Esther and AC Revelations will drop.

The logic in this post hurts my brain.

Crusader's King 2 is excellent. I want to thank who convinced me to buy it yesterday, but it is now lost on the ocean of this thread.
My first game was so funny. I am minding my busisness as the king of what-one-day-will-be-Portugal and my only desire is to really have a son. So, obviously, I have 2 daughters and my dream of pacifism is not disrupt by direct war, but by my brother kidnapping my sister and asking for ransom; which I say to him fuck you and start a plot to kill him.
And the plot is going great, I got a real army of barons and dukes ready to help me kill the asshole when... I die of natural causes.
So my 4 year old daughter assumes the kingdom and all the intrigue with her uncle is gone, just doesn't make sense anymore; so now I just want to grow up and be a good little queen when someone kills my 4 year old queen.
Ok, I got another daughter... who was born with a mental illness and die at the age of 5.
And so is the end of my first game and of my lineage. It looks just a series of disasters - and it was - but also was so much fun and engaging. I was actually plotting to kill a rival king not because of gameplay advantages, but because he was an asshole (I mean, really, kidnapping our sister? What the fuck?) and the notion that the course of history was changed, then, by one natural death followed by one murder followed by another natural death is great.

This...sounds...

tumblr_lcivrhZJ9e1qdubemo1_500.gif

hlhbk

One of my favorite games of ALL TIME. Its one of the best successors to the Ultima formula. Sure combat is more Diablo but it plays nothing like Diablo.

Only advice I can say is get past the first dungeon beneath the first town. It plays too much like Diablo. The rest of the game is nothing like that. Get past that dungeon and the game becomes amazingly awesome if you like CRPGs.

I am going to buy it on Steam but waiting to see if it drops any more. Still, $4 is a steal.

How is the story?

Oh steam! What a dilemma, $20 to spend:

Option 1 : Shogun 2 - Total War collection ($19.99).

VS

Option 2 : Portal 2, Trine 2, Terreria and Grimrock ($18.20).

Decisions, decisions....

Ledsen

It was me! So glad you're enjoying it, in fact I just started a game as a muslim ruler on the Iberian peninsula :) Spain for the muslims!

Trine 2 looks like a good deal but I've got a back log anyway so I might miss on that.
Would have got Might&Magic if it were a bit cheaper.

Atm nothing catching my eye - some of those bundles are fucking insane, but just too big.

Firebrand

So is CK2 difficult to learn? I downloaded the EU3 demo and I couldn't even find a button that did anything. Otherwise I've been interested in some higher-level strategy for a while.

Arksy

Oh steam! What a dilemma, $20 to spend:

Option 1 : Shogun 2 - Total War collection ($19.99).

VS

Option 2 : Portal 2, Trine 2, Terreria and Grimrock ($18.20).

Decisions, decisions....

I'd say Option 2. Remember that Rome 2 is being released sooner or later and to be honest Portal 2 will give you a great story and co-op and if you enjoy Minecraft in the least bit you'll also love terraria. Grimrock apparently is a new old-school style dungeon crawler that's been getting pretty good praise in this thread so far.

ShaneB

There is a prequel coming out as well that looks great. The sequel is a third person game that is okay but no where near as great as DD. I also love isometric games. Its a big game that will absorb you like crazy since it is so fun and addictive (like Bethesda games are to me these days) so be warned. The video on the store page is brilliant and true. :)

Terrific! I love isometric games as well, so I feel a little bad I never really heard of the game before. I'm sure I'll love it.

Did not expect the new Spellforce 2 to go on sale and for so much.

Picked up Spellforce 2, Broken Sword 3, Still Bundle and Syberia Bundle.
Adding in Legend of Grimrock, about $22 spent so far.

KingKong

for CK2, I noticed that the bundle doesn't have all the DLC. its missing the Sword of Islam (which sounds like a proper expansion), African Uint and one of the Songs

those (except Sword of Islam) look kind of pointless though, would I be good with just buying CK2 by itself and Sword of Islam? I guess I might as well spend $2.50 more + another dollar to get all the DLC

benjipwns

Banned
I'm waiting for The Witcher 2... really interested in that game.
I wonder if they'll keep putting up losers or if they're one shot attempts.

Is there a pool of community choices? Are we just deciding the time the deal shows up? Or if they show up at all?

daebo

I bought this last week during the amazon sale and i have tried playing this a couple times and I'm just too stupid to understand what's going on. I sit around... then some guy insults me in a play so war breaks out? Then I see dudes marching on the screen and I'm like what the hell do i do??? Then I spend the majority of my time sending gifts to people so they don't hate me? and I still end up in war. Too much for my simpleton mind.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright, so there's four more games I'm looking at, then I'll be done with the sale.

Morrowind GOTY
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
Star Wars: Battlefront II
Ys: The Oath in Felghana

I already asked about Morrowind earlier, and the consensus was that it's extremely likely to be a daily, so I'm going to wait on it. What are the chances of the others? Right now the three that aren't Morrowind are all around $5-6. Think they might go lower?

kaskade

Man, I keep thinking about buying some of these games like Force Unleashed and Darksiders. I have to tell myself that there is 10 more day of deals. I'll have to pace myself and save some for the winter.

volturnus

Banned
for CK2, I noticed that the bundle doesn't have all the DLC. its missing the Sword of Islam (which sounds like a proper expansion), African Uint and one of the Songs

those (except Sword of Islam) look kind of pointless though, would I be good with just buying CK2 by itself and Sword of Islam? I guess I might as well spend $2.50 more + another dollar to get all the DLC
Sword of Islam is a ''counter-Crusades'' expansions, where you play as muslim rulers taking your land back and then some, so it's up to whether this appeals to you or not.

KingKong

Sword of Islam is a ''counter-Crusades'' expansions, where you play as muslim rulers taking your land back and then some, so it's up to whether this appeals to you or not.

oh yeah I want to get that one for sure, just not sure about the other DLC because it seems to just be extra music and models

was it a part of the DLC? I bought the complete pack and it still says "BUY THE SWORD OF ISLAM" i'm thinking why don't I have it already?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ended up with Garshasp, Clash of Heroes, Ys Origin, and Pixeljunk Eden. 17 for everything. Tempted on Darksiders but this only day 1. I need to pace better. Day 2 is just starting.

Copenap

So I tried adding funds to my wallet but had to change payment method when I was already on the Paypal website, after canceling it the purchase is now still under transactions and it's currently pending. Will they cancel it eventually or what should I do?

Edit: Ok now it says failed.

Ledsen

1banner39uz1.jpg

To all newbies I recommend reading How the hell do we play Crusader Kings II? on Something Awful while playing a game yourself to try stuff out. Great introduction, and pretty funny as well.

2012-03-16_00001.jpg

DLC

Sword of Islam, which isn't included in the complete pack, makes it so you can play as muslim countries. It doesn't add anything else to the game. So buy it if you want to do that (smiting infidels that is).

The other DLC consists of extra music tracks, in-game portraits and heraldry shields and I think some 3D models for the map. All just cosmetic stuff. Then there's Ruler Designer, which is pretty pointless because there are hundreds (thousands?) of rulers to choose from already, and playing a historical person is part of the fun of the game. Buy it if you want, it's cheap and more varied music is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom