• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xdrive05

So guess what. I'm going to miss Trine 2 because Valve's SHITTY mobile cc auth keeps asking for my State or Province even though I'm fucking giving it. Way to go, gaben. I was going to add $50 to my account, but fuck you.

Too stupid to make EP3. Too stupid to take my money.

Crusader's King 2 is excellent. I want to thank who convinced me to buy it yesterday, but it is now lost on the ocean of this thread.
My first game was so funny. I am minding my busisness as the king of what-one-day-will-be-Portugal and my only desire is to really have a son. So, obviously, I have 2 daughters and my dream of pacifism is not disrupt by direct war, but by my brother kidnapping my sister and asking for ransom; which I say to him fuck you and start a plot to kill him.
And the plot is going great, I got a real army of barons and dukes ready to help me kill the asshole when... I die of natural causes.
So my 4 year old daughter assumes the kingdom and all the intrigue with her uncle is gone, just doesn't make sense anymore; so now I just want to grow up and be a good little queen when someone kills my 4 year old queen.
Ok, I got another daughter... who was born with a mental illness and die at the age of 5.
And so is the end of my first game and of my lineage. It looks just a series of disasters - and it was - but also was so much fun and engaging. I was actually plotting to kill a rival king not because of gameplay advantages, but because he was an asshole (I mean, really, kidnapping our sister? What the fuck?) and the notion that the course of history was changed, then, by one natural death followed by one murder followed by another natural death is great.
Anyway, here is me recommending the game.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
But is 9 euros :(
It sounds so good but I have the fear that the game gets boring for me in little time, although the text you wrtoe is there up my alley, its what I wanted from Total War games, the little stories that can change your history. Are this random totally random with a very high number of this types of events, or its still very Total War?

MRORANGE

If people voted for Ghost Recon and it won, it's only because everyone thought it was Future Soldier>_>

Vote for Brink, we need to bring back the community, if the bugs are fixed.

deim0s

Bah. Can't resist. Picked up: Crusader Kings II and Divine Divinity.

Thinking about getting the original Total War: Shogun (or 2) and/or Skyrim.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So guess what. I'm going to miss Trine 2 because Valve's SHITTY mobile cc auth keeps asking for my State or Province even though I'm fucking giving it. Way to go, gaben. I was going to add $50 to my account, but fuck you.

Too stupid to make EP3. Too stupid to take my money.

No other form of internet access like a PC? Come on son!

Sora_N

If people voted for Ghost Recon and it won, it's only because everyone thought it was Future Soldier>_>

Yeah I thought it was FS too, but I doubted it so I looked first.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

But how fun is it? I already voted GRAW2 since my friends rig can run it but I highly doubt he can run Brink. I would buy Brink for 3 or so dollars.

hlhbk

Day 1

Legend of Grimrock 5.99 USD

Saints Row: The Third 12.49 USD

Trine 2 Collector's Edition 6.24 USD

Wings of the Luftwaffe (Wings Of Prey DLC) 3.74 USD

Total: $28.46

I am scared for day 2 GAF!!!

1banner.jpg

To all newbies I recommend reading How the hell do we play Crusader Kings II? on Something Awful while playing a game yourself to try stuff out. Great introduction, and pretty funny as well.

2012-03-16_00001.jpg

DLC

Sword of Islam, which isn't included in the complete pack, makes it so you can play as muslim countries. It doesn't add anything else to the game. So buy it if you want to do that.

The other DLC consists of extra music tracks, in-game portraits and heraldry shields. All just cosmetic stuff. Then there's Ruler Designer, which is pretty pointless because there are hundreds (thousands?) of rulers to choose from already, and playing a historical person is part of the fun of the game. Buy it if you want, it's cheap and more varied music is fun.

It's kind of fun making yourself the first ruler though. I spent a lot of time customizing mine, even though it's just a portrait, it has different looks as you are younger or middle aged or older and you can change the ruler's attributes (don't know if you can do that sans ruler designer)

I'm gonna go ahead and get the sword of Islam, I can already tell I'm going to pour a lot of time into this game

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Ladies & Gentlemen: The World's Largest If. :p

marrec

Banned
About CKII:

To all newbies I recommend reading How the hell do we play Crusader Kings II? on Something Awful while playing a game yourself to try stuff out. Great introduction, and pretty funny as well.

2012-03-16_00001.jpg

DLC

Sword of Islam, which isn't included in the complete pack, makes it so you can play as muslim countries. It doesn't add anything else to the game. So buy it if you want to do that (smiting infidels that is).

The other DLC consists of extra music tracks, in-game portraits and heraldry shields and I think some 3D models for the map. All just cosmetic stuff. Then there's Ruler Designer, which is pretty pointless because there are hundreds (thousands?) of rulers to choose from already, and playing a historical person is part of the fun of the game. Buy it if you want, it's cheap and more varied music is fun.

Thanks for the words on the DLC. I don't think I'll need to play as the Muslim countries before it goes on sale again, so I'll just get the vanilla game.

MRORANGE

But how fun is it? I already voted GRAW2 since my friends rig can run it but I highly doubt he can run Brink. I would buy Brink for 3 or so dollars.

at best I can describe is a mixture of run and gun objective based fps trying to implement a team-orientated play style that falls between TF2 & Battlefield games.

VandalD

There's some serious IP devaluing going on here.
lulz

Just got Trine 2 so far. Good games on sale, but already own the ones I care about. Hoping for a Ys Origin daily/flash deal. I'm also looking to get Batman: AC, since I'm one of the two people in the world that doesn't own it yet. Almost jumped on Saints Row 3, but I'd rather hold out for when all the DLC is out if I can and get everything at once, and I'm not in a rush to play it. Backlog and all that.

Man, I keep thinking about buying some of these games like Force Unleashed and Darksiders. I have to tell myself that there is 10 more day of deals. I'll have to pace myself and save some for the winter.
Darksiders is a good bit of game for $5. The other 10 days of deals might suck!
But they probably won't suck.

It is sad but the only thing I'm really hoping for is not very likely: a combo of Hawaii and Alaska packs for Microsoft Flight.

Also to be fair I'd love to try out my new system (built last month) on Skryrim or maybe Crysis 2 if they are cheap (was going to put Battlefield 3 in that example.. but EA and all..)

/already beat most games I care about on console (including both examples), so need some darn good prices to double dip

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
How is the story?
What I can remember its pretty good. Its standard fantasy stuff where you have amnesia and are thought to be a reborn something something but it eventually gets more serious, something about having a demon come into this realm by a cult I think. Obviously I forget a lot as I played it 10 years ago.

It also doesn't take itself too seriously all the time as it can be silly as well. Gameplay is pure fun to me though. Big world and lots of hidden stuff and neat skills to choose.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think Wolf 2009 is a case of ambiguous rights; Bethesda bought iD (who originally did Wolfenstein and maybe own the IP maybe?), but Activision published Wolf 2009 and Raven developed it. I suspect whenever Activision's rights lapse or Bethesda buys out Activision, the game will re-appear.

Anyone else on the fence for Crusaders Kings II?

$10 is more than I pay for games, I suck at Paradox games, and I'm just getting into EUIII, but CK2 conceptually sounds VERY cool. So yeah, I'm conflicted.

I'm totally with you on this too. Reading his post and I was like "COOL!", but then I watched this video and now I'm on the fence again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5zXnDtdsy0

It looks very complicated, but I think I might be up for that challenge. Maybe...

It is extremely complicated but I think it will be super rewarding once I have a grasp on how the systems work

Scythian

I'm totally with you on this too. Reading his post and I was like "COOL!", but then I watched this video and now I'm on the fence again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5zXnDtdsy0

It looks very complicated, but I think I might be up for that challenge. Maybe...

Yep, I'm on the fence too, the game looks pretty dense but with very cool ideas, though I don't know when it will get cheaper than $9.99 and if I will be able to play some of it by then.
I can wait if the deals overlap to see if I'm interested in today's deals, but it isn't confirmed yet.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Garshasp is a lot like God of War 3, but with better image quality and a main character that isn't embarrassing.

Jimrpg

I'm overseas at the moment and steam won't let me buy any games... Anyone know another way round besides gifting?

Not that I have a problem gifting just busy to jump through a lot of hoops at the moment

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Wasn't there a bundle in the registry that showed Sacred 2 in it? I want that game back on Steam. I had it for 360 but the camera was terrible for me. Like, right overhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom