• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerf

I'm only with Purple team in spirit now as my market lockout is perfectly timed to last the rest of the sale. Can't believe I'm going to miss my 1 in a million chance at free games!
:p

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Rogue Legacy looks fun, but I'm not sure if I like roguelikes. Any thoughts on it?

Well let's just get this out of the way because it has been an issue of contention to some in the past. Rogue Legacy is actually closer to a randomised world platformer or a "rogue lite" than a Roguelike, as that later description to some only applies to turn based permanent death dungeon crawlers like the game Rogue.
I say that just to get it over with.

To answer your question, I ask what you don't like about these titles? Is it the idea that you can lose all progress? The loss of figuring out and memorising a layout of the game world? The chance you could lose all your items or abilties you want from the very start each time?

If so I have some good news, Rogue Legacy is really rather forgiving on those fronts, as it's a title that unlike Spelunky or or those titles actually like Rogue, for until the very end when one has unlocked most everything, there is a sense of progression and accomplishment with most every attempt through the cursed castle.
While you will die and that particular Lord or Lady is gone for good, all the chests they found and gold they collected is kept for the next character you roll (select) and you can purchase new skills and magic or weapons. For some this means they can grind to high levels, though this isn't required to get through the game, it just makes it easier and a sense of becoming incredibly powered and varied. Also there are items in game such as runes that can give +1 strength or what have you that are never taken away if you die.
Weapons or specific spells/abilities you have found blueprints for and have purchased remained open to select with each new character.

If you are worried about the world changing too much, I assure you it's not that bad as the layouts of different sections can and will repeat, all while following the same basic idea each time. You will always know the forest is to the far right of the map for example.
There is also the option to pay to keep the castle layout exactly the same as your last attempt. Less money to be gained, but you can get chests you missed out on at least.

If you really like playing as a Miner for example, but that is not an option, there is even an ability to unlock that allows you to attempt to re-roll and possibly get it if you see fit, though the play styles of each character trait are never that drastic minus one or two abilities and more "nice extras".

Personally I believe you should choose whether or not you want this game based on how much you like action platformers. Can you enjoy a game where you have to swing a sword and dodge enemy attacks, memorise patterns of bosses like that of Castlevania, are you okay with learning and mastering basic skills, do you want a game where you may not be able to get a chest because you lack the double jump or flying or pogo stick attack?
I personally found it great fun and while it wasn't my game of the year (Super House of Dead Ninjas was, a game akin to this) like it was for SteamGAF voting, it was one of my most played and I got huge amount of enjoyment from it both "grinding" to get everything and playing through with only select early abilities and beating it through skill and rune unlocks only.

trolho

Neo Member
I dunno how others do it but I moved to the glorious motherland to get em. Might be an easier way though??

I think the only way is through trading since Valve might ban people using proxies or VPN. I'm not sure if trading is completely safe either.

Zafir

I think the only way is through trading since Valve might ban people using proxies or VPN. I'm not sure if trading is completely safe either.

Trading is safe if you're doing it through steams trade window. Support will get what you traded for the gift back, if the gift copy you got gets revoked.

Speevy

Banned
I think the indie community's obsessions with self-aware rogue-lite Metroidvania procedurally generated stuff is a little overdone, and I love Rogue Legacy.

It's just a good game.

Lomax

Depends -- Torchlight 1 is still a very solid uh... Diablo type RPG? (is this a CRPG? what the ferk is a CRPG anyway?) -- Except the final boss. He's a giant hole.

The generally held acronym for the genre is aRPG (which is action RPG, equally meaningless, but has held now since the Diablo era).

iosefe

So i did the math...and if everything goes as planned for this sale...

i will have $0.01 left in my wallet when it's all over

zonezeus

I'm only with Purple team in spirit now as my market lockout is perfectly timed to last the rest of the sale. Can't believe I'm going to miss my 1 in a million chance at free games!
:p

The only thing I can currently do is cheer for the Greens, I can't even give those useless cards to somebody else because of the stupid 15-day lockout for trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom