• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

I'm a teacher, so I thought I would design a contest that mixes gaming and teaching in a fun way.

Free $25 game to the best entry to this contest. Contest ends in two hours.

Here's the scenario. You are a teacher and your students love video games. You want to teach them something that incorporates their interests into your instruction.

To make this appropriately challenging, let's stick with K-12. That's all the grades before college. If you're from a country aside from the US, just translate these grades into however your school system is structured.

This project must

1. -Have several elements of choice on the part of the student
  2. -Give students the chance to interact socially in some way, either through groups or as a whole.
  3. -Have at least three steps so it takes students more than one day to complete
  4. -Integrate video games in some way, while still teaching the required content.
  5. -Teach some concept in one or more of the following areas: English-Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, Physical Education, Art, and/or Music. Classes such as Biology, Algebra, Economics, etc. fall into these categories.
  6. -Have a way to test to see if the students learned what you taught them This does not have to be a written exam. Just describe what they'll do.

***I don't want a lesson plan.*** You are most likely not a teacher. I want you to tell me how you would make video games relevant to what the students are learning.

Bear in mind that I have successfully taught game-related lessons in Math and Social Studies so I know such a project can be done.

Your entries will be judged on the basis of thoughtful response and creativity. If you are unfamiliar with state or Common Core standards, just consult a website. However, I'm more interested in how you design the project. I just want a description of what you'll do.

post-43287-Good-Burger-I-know-some-of-the-4u5w.gif

Turfster

So a friend of mine has added Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight and Shovel Knight to his wishlist.
Huh. First time I'm seeing that.

SugarDave

Has TWD Season 2 been any good? There seems to be significantly less buzz for it than S1. Not sure if I should buy it, by the time I get close to playing it the winter sale will probably have already passed, but part of me is like "just do it".

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So a friend of mine has added Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight and Shovel Knight to his wishlist.

like cock pushups, one is all you need

rtcn63

Maybe he needs help burying the bodies.

Of the people he's killed.

Ventara

I'm a teacher, so I thought I would design a contest that mixes gaming and teaching in a fun way.

Here's the scenario. You are a teacher and your students love video games. You want to teach them something that incorporates their interests into your instruction.

To make this appropriately challenging, let's stick with K-12. That's all the grades before college. If you're from a country aside from the US, just translate these grades into however your school system is structured.

This project must

2. -Give students the chance to interact socially in some way, either through groups or as a whole.
  3. -Have at least three steps so it takes students more than one day to complete
  4. -Integrate video games in some way, while still teaching the required content.
  5. -Teach some concept in one or more of the following areas: English-Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, Physical Education, Art, and/or Music. Classes such as Biology, Algebra, Economics, etc. fall into these categories.
  6. -Have a way to test to see if the students learned what you taught them This does not have to be a written exam. Just describe what they'll do.

***I don't want a lesson plan.*** You are most likely not a teacher. I want you to tell me how you would make video games relevant to what the students are learning.

Bear in mind that I have successfully taught game-related lessons in Math and Social Studies so I know such a project can be done.

Your entries will be judged on the basis of thoughtful response and creativity. If you are unfamiliar with state or Common Core standards, just consult a website. However, I'm more interested in how you design the project. I just want a description of what you'll do.

Oh man, I had the greatest plan ever, but my stupid dog ate it. It's true!

Will try to enter, though I fear I'm too stupid to come up with anything.

LiK

This project must

too much work, i just bought $25 Steam money instead.

Parsnip

A combination of a friend playing Mass Effect lately and now this steam sale, and now I own Mass Effect 1 and 2 on Steam.

Damn it.

iosefe

Assign them all to groups with some arbitrary designator, say... colors.
Make them complete assignments for cards.
Give those who have the most cards free video games at the end of the 2-week period.

Pick this

*EDIT* Top of PAGE! Here's a recommendation

Kerbal Space Program! that or Knights of the Old Republic + TSLRCM

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I can only assume that some of you joking don't like free games.

peeps dont like jumping through hoops speev. I dont even understand what you want with this contest honestly, i feel like the dude in Salsa´s gif :)

Wtf...I always thought I owned Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, but it turns out I only own Two Brothers......that's some confusing shit.

You're untainted and pure! Good news!

Stay that way!

guys

shovel knight

shovel knight

save $15 for tomorrow

I'm already playing it, ser.

I can wait until the last day of the sale. I own the damn game twice already.

But, but, but... that's not going to convince Treasure we need more ports to PC... :(

I bet it was Salsa... but she's probably getting the game for her 3DS.

The worst part about not having Shovel Knight now is if even I do buy it at the eShop once it updates, I'll only play it for 15 minutes tops since I'll be heading to work in that following hour. =[

Shadownet

Banned
BROTHERS IS ACTUALLY BROTHERS: A TALE OF TWO SONS. Modbot is confused, too.

Sure its easy to give games away when they are cheap, but I believe in only giving away games I think are awesome - and these are awesome. You better freaking play them - ESPECIALLY Jedi Knight.

AHH i want that Jedi Knight so bad but Im not eligible!!

nexen

But, but, but... that's not going to convince Treasure we need more ports to PC... :(
Meh. I'm more of a Raiden guy. Ikaruga was too much for my tiny central nervous system.
edit: I'm going to buy it regardless but I'm waiting to see if it goes on sale...more.
Also probably going to pick up Enemy Mind. Looks good.

Speevy

Banned
Guys, I'm really not asking you to write me an academic journal article. This is supposed to be fun. I'm not picky at all.

Have none of you ever designed a project or experiment before?

I assume some of you are in college.

Red

This project must

You might be interested in this.

Picked up SC Blacklist Deluxe for 3.5 keys (about $7.50) on TF2Outpost. I'm beginning to love key trading - can't believe how many deals they have on there.

Games I've bought so far in this sale not just for cards:

Battleblock Theater
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Syberia 1 and 2

Would have bought more if some of the community choices I wanted won.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This is a bit of a random question but I'll appreciate if someone can clarify:

A while ago I accidentally read what may configure a spoiler about Gone Home.
That the main character is a lesbian.
I don't even know if this is accurate, but what I want to know if this is supposed to be some sort of big reveal in the game and/or if something is ruined if the player already knows this information from the start.

Since it's one of those "experience" games my purchase depends on knowing if being aware of this detail will somewhat spoil the experience.

Dambrosi

Banned

I would make them play Bad Rats, Eternity's Child and I Want To Be The Boshy to 100% completion. They would not be allowed to go home until the games were fully completed.

This would teach them that the world is not fair, and thusly would prepare them for the world of adulthood.

mrgone

Something that bugs me about the buy order page compared to the old market page:

Fb4OgMX.jpg

1. is the prices the items are listed at, after Valve tax
2. is the price of items you're listing, before Valve tax

This makes it hard to see where you are in comparison to other sellers without remembering/calculating the post Valve tax price. With the old page you could just look for your listing.

Rhaknar

Guys, I'm really not asking you to write me an academic journal article. This is supposed to be fun. I'm not picky at all.

well that one cut deep, im done here, time for some work :)

This project must

My first thought was to make a lesson plan about Minecraft, but I realized that there are already teachers doing such a program with kids, so it would be highly redundant.

Hell of a giveaway, though.

rtcn63

I took business classes and wrote a thesis on the inherently tragic nature of skinny blondes, but that was ages ago. I'm sure someone will step up, we've probably got teachers or people who are familiar with helping tiny humans in general.

UncleBiz

I don't even know if this is accurate, but what I want to know if this is supposed to be some sort of big reveal in the game and/or if something is ruined if the player already knows this information from the start.

Since it's one of those "experience" games my purchase depends on knowing if being aware of this detail will somewhat spoil the experience.

Unless you read the entire story, it's still worth your time. Even if you had the whole story spoiled, I still think it's worth playing through once

Red

That is a small part of a much larger story.

It is not revealed immediately, but it is one of the earliest things you'll be able to figure out on your own.

It is what that means for other characters that makes up the story. The fact is meaningless on its own.

Shadownet

Banned
My wife majored in Elementary Education. I hear the phrase 'lesson plan' I start to twitch and foam at the mouth a little.
Pavlovian response.

"Hey honey, how was your day?"

"Oh it was fine, I cant seem to come up with an appropriate lesson plan for these kids...babe, should I...?"

*you hauling ass out of there* :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom