• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

I know, I get the logic. But a huge majority of this sale thread is people asking other people if <game> is going to go lower before they buy.

The answer is pretty much always the same... some speculation maybe, but the core of it all is what I put in my last post. :p

ahh I see, yeah

maneil99

The point of that thread was not to encourage it to appear cheaper, I didn't want to have to wait for zero reason and I have seen community reps post on things like that before. So I tried.

Guess I am a total fucking dumbass maneil, I'm fine with that.

Pre much

Sajjaja

Wtf...I always thought I owned Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, but it turns out I only own Two Brothers......that's some confusing shit.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
A bunch of these I would have bought but then I remembered they had season passes with story content. Fuck that. Waiting for discounted GOTY editions.

Guys, don't wait for a bigger discount on Wolfenstein.

Buy it now pls

Got it for $23 day one. Best of both worlds.
Thanks, Best Buy.

Banner Saga looks really interesting. I really dig the Disney looks. Is it SRPG? How long is it? How deep is the gameplay compared to FFT / TO:LUCT? Are turns governed by an invisible turn speed ala FFT, or is it alternate between player and enemy team ala Jeanne D'Arc?

edit: How about How to Survive? The premise sounds REALLY interesting but it only got 60%?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I kind of wish I had ;) That's the actual name of someone selling multiple CS:GO Balkan cards for 11 cents

Wow, you can't view the profiles of the people listing now. You can only put in buy/sell orders now. :/ Kinda lame.

ModBot said:
Instructions for GenericBadGuy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mass Effect -- MB-80A91B644F12C0E6 - Taken by Ruze789. 32 entrants total.
Metal Slug 3 -- MB-6CFC9CEB2418F447 - Taken by PikaZeroX. 27 entrants total.
Hotline Miami -- MB-3839BA08D77A95B6 - Taken by Toshin. 6 entrants total.
Brothers -- MB-73A05D9A717A0734 - Taken by Chavelo. 25 entrants total.
Jedi Knight -- MB-E3103097282FD047 - Taken by bodyboarder. 44 entrants total.

t1403761398z1.png

BROTHERS IS ACTUALLY BROTHERS: A TALE OF TWO SONS. Modbot is confused, too.

Sure its easy to give games away when they are cheap, but I believe in only giving away games I think are awesome - and these are awesome. You better freaking play them - ESPECIALLY Jedi Knight.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
fuck this iphone, fuck its busted wifi and fuck iOS 7.0-forward

nexen

We're running out of days and haven't even seen it in the list of community votes or as a flash sale. Even if it does go lower, c'mon man... it's fucking IKARUGA. Is the possibility of saving another $1.50 or something really going to stop you from buying it?

Fuck this sale mentality. ^_^

I can wait until the last day of the sale. I own the damn game twice already.

nbthedude

Banner Saga looks really interesting. I really dig the Disney looks. Is it SRPG? How long is it? How deep is the gameplay compared to FFT / TO:LUCT? Are turns governed by an invisible turn speed ala FFT, or is it alternate between player and enemy team ala Jeanne D'Arc?
It is great. Think of it as a combination of Taletell's Walking Dead, Oregon Trail and Final Fantasy tactics (but without the heavy customization).

The combat on the surface is much simpler than something like FF Tactics but it has some cool systems that make you rethink the way you play these types of games. It is not even usually beneficial to eliminate a low HP enemy over attacking one with a lot of HP. That is how heavily and cooly the simple combat system upends the genre's conventions.

You'll love it.

Dambrosi

Banned
hmm the mechanics do sound pretty appealing from what you've posted, not that I know much about the other games! I might just pick this up over ikaruga if none are getting a flash.
Imagine the chaos of last week's Steam Summer Sale metagame distilled in pixelated form. That is the original doujin version of Crimzon Clover.

Now imagine the same thing, but after Valve changed the rules to prevent Reddit rigging the results. That's WORLD IGNITION.

The game is Chaos Incarnate, forged in the most stygian depths of R'lyeh, the City Of The Dead. Give up your sanity, and embrace the New Pixels.

waby

Sure its easy to give games away when they are cheap, but I believe in only giving away games I think are awesome - and these are awesome. You better freaking play them - ESPECIALLY Jedi Knight.

Me and my mates still do a LAN party of jedi knights because its awesome

Speevy

Banned
I'm a teacher, so I thought I would design a contest that mixes gaming and teaching in a fun way.

Free $25 game to the best entry to this contest. Contest ends in two hours.

Here's the scenario. You are a teacher and your students love video games. You want to teach them something that incorporates their interests into your instruction.

To make this appropriately challenging, let's stick with K-12. That's all the grades before college. If you're from a country aside from the US, just translate these grades into however your school system is structured.

This project must

1. -Have several elements of choice on the part of the student
  2. -Give students the chance to interact socially in some way, either through groups or as a whole.
  3. -Have at least three steps so it takes students more than one day to complete
  4. -Integrate video games in some way, while still teaching the required content.
  5. -Teach some concept in one or more of the following areas: English-Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, Physical Education, Art, and/or Music. Classes such as Biology, Algebra, Economics, etc. fall into these categories.
  6. -Have a way to test to see if the students learned what you taught them This does not have to be a written exam. Just describe what they'll do.

***I don't want a lesson plan.*** You are most likely not a teacher. I want you to tell me how you would make video games relevant to what the students are learning.

Bear in mind that I have successfully taught game-related lessons in Math and Social Studies so I know such a project can be done.

Your entries will be judged on the basis of thoughtful response and creativity. If you are unfamiliar with state or Common Core standards, just consult a website. However, I'm more interested in how you design the project. I just want a description of what you'll do.

Turfster

The Jedi Knight giveaway made me curious and I browsed some of the star wars games.
KOTOR II is discounted, but the first one isn't.
Disney, pls, lrn2sale

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Thanks for the giveaway! I entered a few.

Sajjaja

Hehehe, just as I brought up confused Brothers, Modbot did too. What timing :p Entered for bros. Thanks for the giveaway.

valeo

Don't even know how steam cards work and been on steam for over a year. Going to try and figure it out one day lol.

I'm a teacher, so I thought I would design a contest that mixes gaming and teaching in a fun way.

Here's the scenario. You are a teacher and your students love video games. You want to teach them something that incorporates their interests into your instruction.

To make this appropriately challenging, let's stick with K-12. That's all the grades before college. If you're from a country aside from the US, just translate into these grades however your school system is structured.

This project must

2. -Give students the chance to interact socially in some way, either through groups or as a whole.
  3. -Have at least three steps so it takes students more than one day to complete
  4. -Integrate video games in some way, while still teaching the required content.
  5. -Teach some concept in one or more of the following areas: English-Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, Physical Education, Art, and/or Music. Classes such as Biology, Algebra, Economics, etc. fall into these categories.
  6. -Have a way to test to see if the students learned what you taught them This does not have to be a written exam. Just describe what they'll do.

[B***]I don't want a lesson plan.***[/B] You are most likely not a teacher. I want you to tell me how you would make video games relevant to what the students are learning.

Bear in mind that I have successfully taught game-related lessons in Math and Social Studies so I know such a project can be done.

Your entries will be judged on the basis of thoughtful response and creativity. If you are unfamiliar with state or Common Core standards, just consult a website. However, I'm more interested in how you design the project. I just want a description of what you'll do.

Christ. Far too much effort.

To make this appropriately challenging, let's stick with K-12. That's all the grades before college. If you're from a country aside from the US, just translate into these grades however your school system is structured.

This project must

[B***]I don't want a lesson plan.***[/B] You are most likely not a teacher. I want you to tell me how you would make video games relevant to what the students are learning.

Haha, very creative giveaway.

maneil99

This project must

Does it have to work with all ages or can we pick an age group

Assign them all to groups with some arbitrary designator, say... colors.
Make them complete assignments for cards.
Give those who have the most cards free video games at the end of the 2-week period.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh speevs speevs speevs... what did modbot ever do to you

Wensih

To make this appropriately challenging, let's stick with K-12. That's all the grades before college. If you're from a country aside from the US, just translate these grades into however your school system is structured.

This project must

***I don't want a lesson plan.*** You are most likely not a teacher. I want you to tell me how you would make video games relevant to what the students are learning.

Give them each $10 during a steam sale and make them find a way to take that amount and double it in terms of games (20 games) teaches economics and simple multiplication. The smart ones will wait for dailies and flash sales which makes the lesson more than 3 days. Others will play the games get cards and sell cards for extra money to sneak around the system, or make it mandatory that each student must trade with other students (social aspect).The steam sale itself is the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom