• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamfall

I think it's time to finally pick up Rayman- a long time coming!

Cheapest I've seen on Steamprices too. Neat!

Now please give us more Ubi deals concerning Far Cry 3!

They cant set prices. But they do encourage publishers to sell at lower prices. They provided thorough data that lowering prices could actually lead to more revenue. That's how this whole thing got rolling. Some publishers like Activision and Bethesda just dopnt seem to be able to grasp how it works.

Skyrim is #1 on the sales charts right now, and thats great. But at a $25 price point they would be making so much more money. They would have my money. This is for a game that still lists on Steam for $60 more than a year after it came out. It's ridiculous when you think about how much more money they could be making with a smarter price point.

No they don't. They cant set prices for someone elses product. They can only suggest prices which they've done in the past.

They can. They have a 30% margin they could mess with if they chose to be competitive. Not to mention the fact that the publishers must set prices on other sites as well and have set them lower there.

Derrick01

Banned
So how are Spec Ops and Rayman?

Spec Ops is amazing. I got it last night and I'm already on chapter 10 and it's a really interesting shooter. People have been raving about the story since it came out.

I actually think the game part is underrated too. I'm on normal and it can be pretty tough, you don't take a million shots to die, and enemies flank while using cover. You can get pinned down quickly. Thankfully you can assign targets for your squad to focus on and sometimes use sand traps on enemies.

Game looks great maxed out too.

Oh hell yes, Spec ops for $10 is too good to pass up. Also snagging KOTOR 1&2 for $2.50 each. And got Oblivion and Morrowind for $5 a few mins ago. Being a new PC gamer this is my first real Steam sale. Not used to prices like this! It's blowing my mind.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Oh hell yes, Spec ops for $10 is too good to pass up. Also snagging KOTOR 1&2 for $2.50 each. And got Oblivion and Morrowind for $5 a few mins ago. Being a new PC gamer this is my first real Steam sale. Not used to prices like this! It's blowing my mind.

Buy the Desert to Sea bundle from Amazon instead for Spec Ops.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091T6FQO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's few cents cheaper and you get Bioshock 1 + 2 with it

neoism

Shame that the Amazon version uses Tages/SolidShield while the Steam version has no 3rd-party DRM (and can even be run from the game folder without Steam running). Worth paying a little more for the Steam version IMO.

lol finally got a game on steam :O. lol

got it as a gift :p Dark souls is fuck awesome... not sure if I'll get to play it soon or not. :p

Reven

Spec Ops is amazing. I got it last night and I'm already on chapter 10 and it's a really interesting shooter. People have been raving about the story since it came out.

I actually think the game part is underrated too. I'm on normal and it can be pretty tough, you don't take a million shots to die, and enemies flank while using cover. You can get pinned down quickly. Thankfully you can assign targets for your squad to focus on and sometimes use sand traps on enemies.

Game looks great maxed out too.

Sounds like I'm gonna pick it up, thanks for you're input. I don't see you like stuff too often, lol.

Also, did anyone pickup extra copies of Mirrors Edge?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
They can. They have a 30% margin they could mess with if they chose to be competitive. Not to mention the fact that the publishers must set prices on other sites as well and have set them lower there.

I don't know if you know how the free market works, but usually the market leader doesn't have to lower it's profit margins.

They're already the leader.

Nimajneb

Got KOTOR 2, this is the first game I've actually bought through Steam during this sale. The Spec Ops deal is a joke compared to Amazon.

They could take a lower cut. Sure. But those other companies arent the ones paying for a lifetimes worth of bandwidth on the product.

Also Valve are a privately owned company. They dont have other outlets of capital to subsidize their prices. They don't have stock to sell to get money. Publicly owned companies do.

Speevy

Banned
Scribblenauts Unlimited for the best entry to the following contest. Contest ends in two hours.

Scribblenauts-Unlimited-Logo.jpg

I want you to make/draw a picture using any program with the following conditions. I want you to choose some character or enemy/NPC.

1) The character/enemy is from a video game
2) The character/enemy is exhibiting some trait people don't normally associate with them.

In other words, I want you to use the Scribblenauts format of adjective/noun in describing your video game character. Be sure to include the adjective and character name in your response.

So for example, you might make compassionate Kratos hugging someone instead of killing them.

This is in the spirit of Scribblenauts Unlimited, a game in which you use words to enact your imagination.

Go!

chixdiggit

Will the 75% on Rayman ever happen? Current price is good but I've waited so long on it might as well keep waiting until it really hits below $10.

You should really just get it. Game is superb at that price and far too good to wait until the next sale.

Hmmm. Do I purchase Spec Ops for the supposedly awesome story, or do I purchase Rayman Origins for the supposedly awesome gameplay? Help me GAF! I can't do both!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Dammit.

Literally like 16 cents short of being able to buy both KOTOR II and Rayman. FUCK.

Hmmm...

I'll be getting KOTOR2 so that means I won't get Mass Effect.

What's the opinion on Morrowind vs Oblivion? I'll be adding in the mods that were suggest earlier.

Derrick01

Banned
Has KOTOR 2 aged well? I'm sure I finished it on the Xbox but might pick it up again if it's still good today.

That's the thing about high quality writing and character development, it never ages poorly. Especially in video games where writing quality hasn't gotten any better on the whole as it was 10 years ago.

But the gameplay in either kotor hasn't aged well at all. Very janky and not a ton of fun to go through. You can use cheats if it bothers you too much though.

atomic moth said:
What's the opinion on Morrowind vs Oblivion?

Everyone will tell you Morrowind is better and they're right. No level or loot scaling and a lot more RPG elements than Oblivion had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom