• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFIB

Holy shit, TWD 50%...

Never played it, saw a friend play it and it looked sick...

Consider me VERY tempted... I'll probably pull the trigger tonight. Damn you Steam! I didn't want to spend more but I have no choice. >_<

If you miss it, its OK, it'll be on sale at least 5 more times.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Holy shit, TWD 50%...

Never played it, saw a friend play it and it looked sick...

Consider me VERY tempted... I'll probably pull the trigger tonight. Damn you Steam! I didn't want to spend more but I have no choice. >_<

Oh shit, somebody that missed the 8 million times the game was apparently on sale and that's the worst thing Valve has ever done and who have the game is, apparently, happy that it happened?

I can't believe it!

You're not supposed to enjoy it, this is the worst sale ever.

</sarcasm>

Grief.exe

I just miss the whole metagame. Buy games, earn achievements for other cool stuff.

Now, it's just so clinical and predictable. I used to enjoy opening steam at 12 to see the new sales, but now, I completely forget about it almost every day. I don't really care for the concept of the flash sales and the community sales either. But that's just the grinch in me talking.

Yea, I have a ton of games, but I've haven't bought much of anything in the last year and a half, so there should be a ton of stuff that I should be itching to buy. But not really...

Call it entitlement if you want

Everyone misses the metagame, you aren't entitled at all.

That was an interesting idea to promote impulse buys and gave incentives to trying out new games.

Just wanted to give big ups for the JC2 code for my "drawing." That was a welcome surprise, especially since I voted for it as the next deal and was probably going to make it a purchase.

I haven't bought anything from this year's Steam sale yet. I've been tempted by the Spider Man one, but I once asked how it was (if it's Arkham-y or not so much) and got no reply so I could only take that as bad news.

We'll see if Sleeping Dogs makes an appearance and if that gets me to crack.

Wthermans

Banned
Personally I prefer the Community Choice & Flash Sales to the Coal game they did previously. Really made me feel like you were missing out unless you had enough disposable income to buy everything in the metagame. I much prefer the current method.

I do think people have become spoiled in a sense. Here we are now with the expectation that all PC games will be heavily discounted at the end of the year. I never sit there with console games and go "man everything will be on sale for 75%-50% off after christmas"

Steam started this and now people expect it. Not only that but others have finally showed up and try to chip away at Steam's stranglehold. How do they do it? By offering steam versions for same or less price(through coupons, etc). Its the only way they can compete. Do people constantly bitch at Amazon's sales? nope but its not like all of them are stellar. Some are, some aren't. Same with GMG, Gamefly, etc.

Then you also combine the fact that they padded out the duration, thus it has more of a slow burn to it all. I'd love for flash deals to be every couple hours just to get my new refresh kick.

But in general the sales by Steam are still good, but its diluted through competition and Steam having more sales throughout the year. I don't care if i get my steam games from other site, to me that's only a good thing as a consumer.

Edit: I do miss the meta game and the daily art with the Valve mascots

ZenaxPure

Personally I prefer the Community Choice & Flash Sales to the Coal game they did previously. Really made me feel like you were missing out unless you had enough disposable income to buy everything in the metagame. I much prefer the current method.

I can understand this point of view but personally I had like half of the coal games by default just from various indie bundles. I didn't have to buy very many of them and the ones I did were insanely cheap.

justjim89

Yeah, I prefer flash sales and vote sales to the dumb coal nonsense from last year. That just pissed me off and constantly made me feel like I was missing something unless I wasted time playing awful F2P games. The sales format they have now is great, it's just what's actually going on sale that underwhelm me.

didamangi

So Indie Gala store have some interesting to mediocre steam titles on sale for $0,99 (if you have gala points.)
Some of those $0.99 steam titles are:

- Patricians and Merchants bundle (Darkstar One, Patrician III, The Great Art Race) probably the best of the bunch.
- Who's That Flying
- Waveform
- Alpha Prime
- RIP Trilogy
- Commandos series

SilentSilas

Neo Member
Welp, I've decided I'll get Sims 3 later today. But I'll have to wait until another sale to get any of the expansion packs. I'm really only interested in Late Night and Supernatural, but even just those two costs more than $30.

Ugh, I hate the expansion pack prices. =/

Yes there is actually a 9.2 GB update for New Vegas that is going at 80 kb/second : /

GMG had sleeping for about $6 the other day.

What? Pricing mistake again?

Edit: I like the coupons, but they needed to make them smaller but usable on games that were in the christmas sale. An extra 5% to 10% off of a game that was already discounted or a flash/daily deal would have been fantastic. And what happened with the game giveaways?

Really I think Valve was just too busy this year. The International 2, Dota 2, TF2, CS Global Offensive, Big Picture Mode, Steam, Steam Market, Steamworks integration for Portal 2, updates to the way the community works. Not to mention Source engine 2 and Ricochet 2. Am I forgetting anything? Been a very busy year for Valve.

I think there's only one more game I'm looking to get, Far Cry 3, but it'll have to be a really good sale price. I'm really looking forward to playing it but I have a mountain of games to play now so if it doesn't get low enough this time around, I'll get it next time or the next or whenever.

atomico

question about sims. If I have sims 3 on origin, could i run the steam expansions somehow? Don't I get a code or something I can put in origin?

FWIW, I bought the Steam versions (Edit: Base game + Showtime) the other day and it had me login with my EA/Sims/Origin account and register both CD keys there.

I wonder if they'll show up on my game list if I open up Origin :p

50% off plus 30% coupon plus 6 dollars credit on the store (or 4 dollar cashback but why would you that).

I cant believe I missed that. Damn! Damn! Damn!

damn_damnjhu87.gif

Anyone have a $5 credit for 2k publisher they're not using?
Really want that Desert to Sea bundle for $4.99, I'll paypal in advance (verified and have feedback).

Suairyu

Banned
Tempted tempted tempted by Arma II. Been wanting to play it every since DayZ hit it big - moreso for the military campaign than DayZ itself, though obviously I'll want to dabble with that at some point.

Has it been cheaper elsewhere?

Bricky

Thinking about buying the Sims 3 with maybe an expansion or two. Late Night seems to be the most liked expansion (and seasons but that one is still to expensive for my taste) and I like the idea of cities, so I'm almost sure I'll buy that one.

Are there any others I should absolutely consider? I don't care too much about random stuff and clothing (only if it's really awesome and/or adds much to the game), so in terms of gameplay should I buy any of the other packs?

Noaloha

Can anyone sum up what I'm looking at with Civ IV Complete? After installing, I now have four different versions of the game, or so it appears -- are they actually entirely separate titles then? I was expecting to buy a copy of Civ IV that had expansion pack content included. Like, one complete game. Any advice/tips about this complete pack?

Can anyone sum up what I'm looking at with Civ IV Complete? After installing, I now have four different versions of the game, or so it appears -- are they actually entirely separate titles then? I was expecting to buy a copy of Civ IV that had expansion pack content included. Like, one complete game. Any advice/tips about this complete pack?

Run Beyond the Sword, ignore the rest. That would be the trick for that collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom