• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

I can get through all except the rocket one without getting demolished. I always pray that’s the first one. The rest aren’t bad. Escape, just fly against the ceiling when being chased. Much faster than running.

I realized that's what I was doing wrong with Escape. I kept tapping the B button so the meter didn't overheat, forgetting that it speeds up when you hold it. Just finished Escape and Rocket with all but one heart left on my second life. Hopefully I don't screw the last one or two up completely.

Whew. Just finished the post-game stuff. Ended up with just under 13 hours to 100% the game. If Golf Story and Picross S weren't coming out tomorrow, I'd consider replaying it. Definitely one of my favorites of this year which has been an absolutely packed year for my tastes in games.

Plum

Almost worth a thread of its own... According to a press release from Image & Form, Steamworld Dig 2 has “already earned back most of the game’s total development budget.”

http://imageform.se/steamworld-dig-2-tops-the-charts-heres-why-youll-love-it-too/

I guess the prospect of getting a Steamworld Heist (Deluxe?) port for Switch looks good now.

Damn, that's great for I&F. They've really hit it out of the park with this one, I'd consider them one of my favorite indie developers around.

Whew. Just finished the post-game stuff. Ended up with just under 13 hours to 100% the game. If Golf Story and Picross S weren't coming out tomorrow, I'd consider replaying it. Definitely one of my favorites of this year which has been an absolutely packed year for my tastes in games.

Thanks for reminding me about Picross, I knew it was coming but not so soon :)

dLMN8R

So I just completed the
Vectron
part and now have the
3 things to destroy spread across the map
. It took me 5-6 hours to get to this point. How much longer do you think I have? I still have a bunch of secrets to find too.

My character is also at level 11, and a bunch of stuff doesn't unlock until level 14. But I'm worried I don't have that much left to dig or kill! Hopefully there's a lot more left to do?

Jb

Fireblend

Banned
Almost worth a thread of its own... According to a press release from Image & Form, Steamworld Dig 2 has “already earned back most of the game’s total development budget.”

http://imageform.se/steamworld-dig-2-tops-the-charts-heres-why-youll-love-it-too/

I guess the prospect of getting a Steamworld Heist (Deluxe?) port for Switch looks good now.

Awesome news. I&F is already one of my favorite developers, but this game easily earned them a day-1 purchase for whatever they release for a pretty good while.

I just did that part. Wow, this is a game.

That's an amusing way to put it, because while I was also wowed by "that part",
it's the most linear and "cinematic" patch of the whole experience, a break from the decision-making and skill set of the rest of the game that is all about surviving the set piece as it happens around you.
A real thrill, and still quite interactive, but arguably less of a game than the rest of the game.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...has_had_the_biggest_launch_in_the_ips_history

Well deserved, and I can't wait to see what they work on next. Heist might still be my favourite of the lot, but I'd rather see a Heist 2 than a port that makes the same kind of jump in designed-ness as Dig, especially as the fundamental framework of that sub-series is even stronger. It wouldn't be as simple as replacing procedural generation with Rabbids-like hand-crafted stages, though, as in the current Heist format, stage layout is the main source of risk and uncertainty precluding canned optimal solutions to challenges (every turn-based strategy game has this uncertainty in some fashion, just in different places).

Maybe they could go back to their pre-Dig roots in tower defense and bring it up to their current capabilities, ingenuity, experience, and resources. They have a wide opening in front of them to make the definitive TD experience on the Switch. Right now, that's an open goal, and the genre itself has a wide opening for a $20-bracket, core/console product beyond the scope or ambition of what finds on mobile.

And maybe they'll do something completely different. They've earned my trust; they're a day-one studio in my books.

tm24

Ending spoilers

I'm just glad i finally got answers connecting Dig to Heist. I never thought i would get an answer and just assumed the name was an aesthetic thing and not the same world

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
That moment when you exit a cave, expect a checkmark but still nothing :( I've encountered one challenge so far that I may skip: floor is lava relic reward. Doing that entire section in one go... eeh maybe not. I thought I could cheat by pushing the block first and then restarting, but you have to re-enter the area.

I've just collected the
fire axe
. Loving the game, the optional challenges are tougher than I expected.

That moment when you exit a cave, expect a checkmark but still nothing :( I've encountered one challenge so far that I may skip: floor is lava relic reward. Doing that entire section in one go... eeh maybe not. I thought I could cheat by pushing the block first and then restarting, but you have to re-enter the area.

I've just collected the
fire axe
. Loving the game, the optional challenges are tougher than I expected.

I'd say feel free to skip and come back to it.

kizmah

Just finished the game. This was my first Steamworld and I bought it on pure Gaf-hype and latest Nindies direct. And man what a pleasant surprise this was! Seriously the most fun I’ve had on Switch so far except for Breath of the wild. Now onto Thimbleweed park while we wait for Stardew Valley. I will let Gaf-hype or lack thereof decide if Golf story might squeeze in. Switch is on fire!

imageform

Hi all, great to be here again!

I took today off due to exhaustion - my inbox refuses to dwindle, for every SWD2 code request I approve (or, rarely, reject) there's three new ones as soon as I hit Send. I now sit on many hundreds of unread emails from people who wonder why we're not getting back to them. On one hand it's quite marvellous. I want to reach as many as possible and not mass-mail them. But it's quite stressful to lag behind like this, so... one day off.

So what do I do when I've decided to take a breather and not work on getting the game out there for a day? Why, I go to NeoGAF to see if anyone's talking about SWD2, of course! I have to admit that I'm a bit nervous every time I come here, I get it in my head that some kind of negative force will have gripped you all and that the tide has turned. But nope, people are still saying very, very kind things about our game. <3

And I'm amazed that you find so many aspects to talk about. I haven't read all comments, but I don't think I'll be of much help - you seem to help each other just fine. I noticed that many of you are looking for things that you can't find. OK, so if someone wants to cheat to find stuff,
there is a remarkable map that a guy called Demajen drew and posted in the Steam community forum: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1144149252
Other than that... well, it's a game and it's meant to be played.

Things are going good for us now, and for once we're not teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. That's how we tend to do it: if there's still money in the bank, let's polish some more. Shigeru Miyamoto apparently has said something along the lines of "A delayed game will be good eventually. A rushed game is bad forever." We fit that bill almost TOO well... but we want to continue doing it just like that. And I firmly believe we can NOT afford to make bad games.

But we pour all our cash into development. With every game, the risks we take are insane. Apart from salaries for me, Julius and Paulina, we can spend very close to $0 on PR and marketing. So if you like SWD2 and can sympathize with a guy who's pretty worn down today, I and my magnificent colleagues at I&F would really appreciate if you could take to social media and do a bit of shouting for us today. Don't lie for us, but if you like SWD2, please tell the world. Every little thumbs-up counts. Thanks for reading, and thanks for your kind words. <3 If there's any question you think I could answer, don't hesitate to post it here.

Brjann, I&F (going to the office tomorrow)

plufim

Finished it two nights ago, good stuff. Had my son on my lap for the final boss, it was so tense the poor kid got nervous.

I will say I was expecting a few more bosses, but that aside it was dead on what I'd hoped for.

And I imagine "that part" will be circled back to in future Steamworld games.

Oh and without hyperbole, this is the best grappling hook/rocket pack combo I have ever experienced. Goddam magical.

Plum

I took today off due to exhaustion - my inbox refuses to dwindle, for every SWD2 code request I approve (or, rarely, reject) there's three new ones as soon as I hit Send. I now sit on many hundreds of unread emails from people who wonder why we're not getting back to them. On one hand it's quite marvellous. I want to reach as many as possible and not mass-mail them. But it's quite stressful to lag behind like this, so... one day off.

So what do I do when I've decided to take a breather and not work on getting the game out there for a day? Why, I go to NeoGAF to see if anyone's talking about SWD2, of course! I have to admit that I'm a bit nervous every time I come here, I get it in my head that some kind of negative force will have gripped you all and that the tide has turned. But nope, people are still saying very, very kind things about our game. <3

And I'm amazed that you find so many aspects to talk about. I haven't read all comments, but I don't think I'll be of much help - you seem to help each other just fine. I noticed that many of you are looking for things that you can't find. OK, so if someone wants to cheat to find stuff,
there is a remarkable map that a guy called Demajen drew and posted in the Steam community forum: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1144149252

Things are going good for us now, and for once we're not teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. That's how we tend to do it: if there's still money in the bank, let's polish some more. Shigeru Miyamoto apparently has said something along the lines of "A delayed game will be good eventually. A rushed game is bad forever." We fit that bill almost TOO well... but we want to continue doing it just like that. And I firmly believe we can NOT afford to make bad games.

But we pour all our cash into development. With every game, the risks we take are insane. Apart from salaries for me, Julius and Paulina, we can spend very close to $0 on PR and marketing. So if you like SWD2 and can sympathize with a guy who's pretty worn down today, I and my magnificent colleagues at I&F would really appreciate if you could take to social media and do a bit of shouting for us today. Don't lie for us, but if you like SWD2, please tell the world. Every little thumbs-up counts. Thanks for reading, and thanks for your kind words. <3 If there's any question you think I could answer, don't hesitate to post it here.

An Image & Form developer in my OT? It's more likely than you think.

Nah but seriously well done, you've done a great job with the game and deserve the success it's been getting. I've yet to finish it but even then the assertion from my first post that this is a potential Top 10 of the year is holding true!

bounchfx

you guys did a fantastic job. Really something to be proud of. Your next title is an insta-buy from me.

now please release Heist on switch so I can buy it again. I'm pretty sure it would do well in general now with all the positive press from dig2 behind it.

Nabs

I wanted to go back to see how much has changed between this and the first title, and I kinda got stuck playing a lot more than I was expecting. I almost forgot how much fun it is.

Congrats on the success, I&F.

Oh, and I went back to play more Heist and almost got stuck there as well. That's a game I stopped playing fairly early, so I'm excited to go back and give it another go.

vareon

Congrats on the game, you guys did amazing!

I'm playing further in this game and still loving it.

One thing I've really liked about the game is that it feels like the gameplay really changes about midway through, after you get the
hookshot
and the
jetpack
. The first half of the game is basically about digging down in a dig-dug sort of way, but the second half of the game
is more like a platformer focused on aerial mobility. It almost feels like an entirely different game, but I like that -- it keeps things fresh and interesting.

Dmax3901

You've made an incredible game and the world seems to be recognising that fact. Congratulations!

giphy.gif

Of course I will plug this on social! After all this is the least I can do for the wonderful pins that you handed to those at the SWD2 demo Line late in the evening at Nindies at Night in Seattle

So how do you cross the
area of thorns at the very bottom below the entrance of the vectron

But we pour all our cash into development. With every game, the risks we take are insane. Apart from salaries for me, Julius and Paulina, we can spend very close to $0 on PR and marketing.

It's a good thing Nintendo was willing to showcase you a few times.

Zzoram

I'll probably get this eventually, when I have time for it, because of the glowing reception. It's on my eShop wish list so I don't forget about it.

Yagharek

I was going to wait for a sale for this game because I don't like spending as much on digital only stuff. I'm old and grumpy.

But I love your games and this post is too sweet to ignore. If that's how you guys roll, I'll buy SWD2 in a few minutes.

And you're probably the only people ill make this exception for because of how damn good Heist and Dig were. And you deserve good sales. I didn't realise small development teams cut this close to the bone. I hope you have a big success with all your games.

TheExodu5

Banned

Congrats on a superb release. I have to admit, I didn't give Dig and Heist the chance I should have (though, to be honest, I give very few games more than a couple minutes before I move on since I'm swimming in games these days).

But wow, Dig 2 has just grabbed me from the start. You guys have knocked it out of the park. And seriously, I have to commend just how good the game is on a technical level. It's rare that a game is so flawless in terms of performance, control, and visual design.

You have me as a lifelong fan from now on. :)

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Does this game have multiple endings? If so, what needs to be done to get the "good" one? I know that I'll only play the game once, so it'd be nice to get the best ending possible if there is more than one.

PokéKong;250218644 said:
https://twitter.com/ImageForm/status/913067455932747778

Alright this is good to know, I guess we can look forward to the soundtrack showing up in more places some time soon.

That's great news!

bounchfx

kind of stunned some people were able to finish this in 4 hours. I don't even feel like I'm halfway done with the game, I keep finding more stuff! I think I'm level 9 or 10 now, can't remember.

Fireblend

Banned

You guys made a beautiful, beautiful thing. Thanks. And you can be sure I'm recommending this to everyone I can; it's an outstanding game and you guys deserve every bit of recognition and profit you're getting.

Can't wait for whatever you guys will be releasing next (crossing my fingers for Heist on Switch!), I'll be there day 1.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Completed at 6 hours. 30% secrets - so pathetic haha.

Definitely will dive back into this. I think I'll enjoy it even more later on. While I liked Heist more simply due to genre preferences (so much so that I'm inclined to double-dip *hint hint*), this is a solid game with amazing polish and presentation.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Excellent game. You folks know what you’re doing. I’ll buy Heist and most likely whatever you develop on the Switch, same as I did on the 3DS prior.

phant0m

No BS man, Dig 2 is the bees knees (I’m also a big fan of Heist). The core gameplay loop is a really well executed blend of metroidvania and roguelike. Visuals are gorgeous and you make nice use of the HD Rumble on the Switch too.

As for GAF, don’t worry about the cycle: for every “x game is overrated/shit” there are at least 2 “LttP: x game is AMAZING”

XaosWolf

Man the Trial of Rockets is straight up dogshit.

The others are fine so far (except the trial of buttons which just wastes your time more than anything else) and utilise things you've done throughout the game in a sensible manner. Then the rocket trial comes about and suddenly there rockets that now chase you through the scenery, explode with a visually misleading hitbox and they then dump in a metric fuck-ton of poison droppers.
To cap that off: the rocks you need to break regenerate and therefore become a crushing hazard.

I am maxed out on upgrades and survivability cogs and the rocket one can just waste the entire health bar or more and its never at the start so you can get it out of the way.

The rest of the game has been great but this is a sudden sour point which has killed my enjoyment for now.

Coxy100

Banned
Having so much fun with this. Any idea on when the new icon might launch anyone?

Each time I go to the Home screen my heart sinks a little bit when I spot it ;)

Fantastic game

Plum

Getting the artefact in 'The Floor is Lava' is just cruel game design. The timing needed in that final section is something I will never have. Feels like I need to become a professional Drummer to stand a chance.

inb4 people say it's easy for them :(

jariw

Getting the artefact in 'The Floor is Lava' is just cruel game design. The timing needed in that final section is something I will never have. Feels like I need to become a professional Drummer to stand a chance.

inb4 people say it's easy for them :(

Or you can wait until later, when you have abilities that makes it easier.

Top Bottom