• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Diver: Sub Wars |OT| Deep Deep Down

I'm more than a week past with reporting this, but since everyone else here missed it as well, take a look here:

Hello. I am Takaya Imamura, the Director of Steel Diver: Sub Wars.
Thank you very much for playing.
I’d like to talk a little bit about some updates to the game we’re working on that we’re calling “Version 2.0”.

In Version 2.0, you will earn bonuses for consecutive victories in Internet Mode, even during Matched-Skills Battles. Also, owners of the Premium Version will have access to a larger arsenal of subs as they level up, and more subs will be made available for
purchase in the Online Shop within the game.

We also received a lot of feedback via Miiverse about players attacking their allies. In Version 2.0, players who torpedo their allies will receive a warning message on their screen, and points will be deducted for every hit. We’re also planning to add a Multiplayer stage and to continue to fine-tune the submarine stats, among other things.

We are working hard to get Version 2.0 ready for release in May, so please be on the lookout for it.

Thank you for your continued support of Steel Diver: Sub Wars!

My hull is ready!

Camjo-Z

Are you serious?

lol

Only a few days left in May. Any word on when the update is supposed to surface?

Literally right as you posted that, this update went on Miiverse:

Hello, this is Takaya Imamura, the Director of Steel Diver: Sub Wars. As always, thank you so much for playing. I would like to take a moment to update you on Version 2.0, which we announced recently.

We have been aiming to release Version 2.0 in May, however in order to polish it that much more and make the update even better, we'd like to ask you for a little more time. The plan now is to release the update in early June.

I apologize to those who have been looking forward to this release, and thank you for your patience.

As we await Version 2.0, let us look back on Update 1.0, courtesy this random Miiverse drawing....

zlCfzRg7b2Q11NqJql

But yeah, I'm looking forward to Version 2.0! It sounds like there's going to be a shipload of new things added!

.-.. . - / ..- ... / -. . ...- . .-. / ... - --- .--. / - .... . ... . / .--. ..- -. ...

Hale-XF11

Update is 227 blocks. The new multiplayer map is called Arctic Circle. Two Play Coins are now required to play in Internet Mode for people playing with the free version.

Relevant quotes of myself from the other thread made about the release of this update:

Alright, premium version users, here are the new shop submarines:

I-168 class (Japanese)
Type XXI U-boat (German)
Blue-Marine (STAR FOX)
Giant Z-Class ("The final boss from Steel Diver," as in the first game)
Soryu Class (Japanese; technically should be "Sōryū")
USS Nautilus (American)
British S-Class (British)
Daphné Class (French)
Kilo Class (Russian)
Victor III Class (Russian)

Also for premium users wondering, the new submarines are for players who went beyond Level 50. All three of them score 9/10 in exactly one area:

Garfish Adv. at level 59: 9 in Surfaced Spd
Sea Hound 2 at level 79: 9 in Submerged Spd
Neptune Mk II at level 99: 9 in Health

Even Nintendo's virtual submarines have sequels!

Notably, there are other vessels that score 9 in these areas as well, but these new, higher-level submarines rank higher in their other traits than the lower-level ones.

That's right, they straight up, directly, answered our thoughts by adding Blue Marine to the shop! Best part is, if you have the premium version of the game so that you can access the shop, it's free. It's not 0.99 USD like the other submarines!

Camjo-Z

I think my previous boasting in this thread may have been unwarranted, as I seem to now be getting my butt kicked left and right. But at least I can get decimated while using the Blue Marine!

I think my previous boasting in this thread may have been unwarranted, as I seem to now be getting my butt kicked left and right. But at least I can get decimated while using the Blue Marine!

The Blue Marine is definitely a fragile speedster.

I decided to also get the Sōryū Class submarine as well. I like how it entered service in 2009, making it the most recent submarine in the game!

Morgoth

Banned
I find it funny all the people on miiverse complaining about the 2 play coin, 5 battle limit for the free version.

Hale-XF11

That's right, they straight up, directly, answered our thoughts by adding Blue Marine to the shop! Best part is, if you have the premium version of the game so that you can access the shop, it's free. It's not 0.99 USD like the other submarines!

That's pretty awesome. Downloading now. Yay, free stuff.

Played some multiplayer just now, but haven't played on the new map yet.

A really nice small detail about the Blue Marine is that even if you re-camo it, it still keeps the Star Fox logo no matter what.

... so, shall we begin baselessly speculating as to whether this is a hint for E3?

Come on! It's a Star Fox reference with an un-removable Star Fox logo, with a remove money barrier for premium version users released very nearly precisely 1 week before E3, in the same update that brings giving Nintendo the option to receive player data! It's as if they wish to monitor fan interest!

Edit: Also, the inclusion of the Blue Marine and no other Nintendo characters lends more ground to this fan theory.

Camjo-Z

I find it funny all the people on miiverse complaining about the 2 play coin, 5 battle limit for the free version.

I can't really feel any sympathy for them, if you really like the game enough to be playing it 4 months after launch but still haven't considered supporting the dev by paying for it... maybe it's time to do so!

... so, shall we begin baselessly speculating as to whether this is a hint for E3?

Come on! It's a Star Fox reference with an un-removable Star Fox logo, with a remove money barrier for premium version users released very nearly precisely 1 week before E3, in the same update that brings giving Nintendo the option to receive player data! It's as if they wish to monitor fan interest!

I'm not sure if the ability to monitor fan interest would have much of an effect on anything at E3 a mere week before it, but it's been 8 years since the last Star Fox game so I'd say it's about time for a revival anyway.

I'm at it again, making much-maligned machines [into] metagame monsters!

zlCfzSAX460gBWgXKR

There are folks on Miiverse who have given up on this thing because of how quickly it gets destroyed in front-on attacks. I've gone and turned it into a fragile speedster and glass cannon via crew members:

zlCfzSAX5zwHEWwJD9

Of particular note here are the fast reload time, the fast speeds, and the fast turn rate. This thing has all the speed and turning ability it needs to dodge torpedoes by turning out of their way, and then get behind an enemy and start shooting away like a subma(r)ine gun from where the enemy can't shoot back!

Yes, its dive rate suffers due to my choice to improve the reload time by taking away its dive speed, but it excels at horizontal fighting, which is a pretty rare thing for a sub to be good at.

Just don't count on it for taking too many hits: use speed and maneuverability as armor. Also of great help would be to have a teammate nearby to distract the enemy with a face-to-face encounter or shoot the enemy from the side if he turns away from you.

Robin64

Seems that anyone who hadn't downloaded this has had it automatically downloaded via SpotPass over the past day, in Europe at least. That might get more people on board!

Seems that anyone who hadn't downloaded this has had it automatically downloaded via SpotPass over the past day, in Europe at least. That might get more people on board!

Is that a naval pun I sense at the end of your post?

I think we had those earlier in this thread. If so, sorry that you missed the boat, but that ship has sailed.
This is only the tip of the iceberg.

Robin64

Is that a naval pun I sense at the end of your post?

I think we had those earlier in this thread. If so, sorry that you missed the boat, but that ship has sailed.
This is only the tip of the iceberg.

...not intentionally. Gawdammit. And people who know me know how much puns hurt me, too. :(

daydream

Banned
Welp, just bought the Premium version because of that Blue Marine promotion that ends tomorow.

Guess I'll give it a shot later, hopefully the online is not too newcomer-hostile.

So I checked recently and discovered that I had built up $15 worth of WiiU Deluxe Digital Promotion points.

So naturally I did what any sane person would do and checked the Steel Diver: Sub Wars premium shop, counted up how many submarines I didn't own, and proceeded to clear out the entire Premium Shop.

Every $0.99 submarine in the game is now mine! All of them! I'm not even quite sure what I'm going to do with them all!

You may be the greatest fan of this game in the history of mankind :)

I still haven't played enough to be a contender for the higher-level submarines; I'm only in the 30's or early 40's at this point, and they now have submarines for as high as level 99 or 100.

Once I reach that point, then I would have every submarine in the game....

moolamb

Yeah, I think I'm stuck around level 30 because I keep getting on huge losing streaks against mostly 70+ players...

That is not the game but rather a link to the eShop page. So still no NNID, no buy applies.

It also spams you about it via spotpass. I despise the blue light as about once a week I now get 3 messages; Miiverse is out, Streetpass relay is a thing, Steel Diver sub wars is out.

That is not the game but rather a link to the eShop page. So still no NNID, no buy applies.

It also spams you about it via spotpass. I despise the blue light as about once a week I now get 3 messages; Miiverse is out, Streetpass relay is a thing, Steel Diver sub wars is out.

I believe you can disable all three of those messages via respective settings options.

Hale-XF11

Yeah, I gotta say, removing friendly fire is a step backwards. And while it's nice that friends can now play online together, I get the feeling it will be a half measure where it's always cumbersome to gather people together without any kind of messaging system on the 3DS. Also, two new stages for local multiplayer and friends only is just weird. I don't get it, but that's Nintendo for you I guess.

elyetis

3.0 inc: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKl3yNA1wg

They're removing friendly fire. Ugh, remove one of the more skillful elements of the game. Now you can fire wildly without fear.
On a better note: online friend matches are being added
I'm not a big player but disapointed about friendly fire being removed.

Online friend being added is huge, will definitly make me play again and convince my bvrother and a friend to pick it up.

Regiruler

Yeah, I gotta say, removing friendly fire is a step backwards. And while it's nice that friends can now play online together, I get the feeling it will be a half measure where it's always cumbersome to gather people together without any kind of messaging system on the 3DS. Also, two new stages for local multiplayer and friends only is just weird. I don't get it, but that's Nintendo for you I guess.

Kid Icarus Uprising had some too, all a completely flat battlefield with no objects, with the field itself varying sizes. Might be something like that.
Might be friend-only just to make sure a completely boring stage like that isn't in the randomizer.

Slermy

Excellent! Friend battles will be great, and I like that they reduced the Play Coin requirement down to 1.

A bit disappointed they removed friendly fire though. :-/

So, shall Sub Wars GAF do something with the online friends battle mode?

With school starting back up, I hope to get some local battles! I really like the idea of getting the Super Battleship's "pet" submarine for myself!

I've also just started to gather and experiment with the new crew members.

Slermy

Haven't found any of the new crew members yet.

Also, I think the requirement of Play-coins really hurt the community. There don't seem to be as many people playing.

Haven't found any of the new crew members yet.

Also, I think the requirement of Play-coins really hurt the community. There don't seem to be as many people playing.

World of Tanks' development studio notes that their player numbers drop during the summer (for the northern hemisphere, at least). This might be a part of that same cycle.

Top Bottom