• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Diver: Sub Wars |OT| Deep Deep Down

About a half hour ago I seemed to be getting disconnects again (the update notes did say that they were lessened, not completely gone). Fortunately, they indeed no longer interrupt win streaks! Combine that with the trimmed minute off of the pre-match counter and it's an all around net gain.

That and the Miiverse said that they'll continue working at network connectivity.

Camjo-Z

Was hoping they altered the supply ships health a little so they weren't such a chore to shoot down. As is, they don't do a tremendous amount of healing and they have so much health themselves that in most matches in supply ship maps completely ignore them.

those free points tho

Regiruler

Is it just me or does turning with the right circle pad (CPP) seem a bit... off now?

EDIT: I'm seeing a lot of new patterns, did they update the selection?

I'm seeing a lot of new patterns, did they update the selection?

Checked the camouflage menu and I'm not seeing any new additions. If you refer to the killer whale-style camouflage, that's always been there, but it's a fairly late-game camo, unlocked at Level 30 or so. The stuff beyond that have dragon faces and the like.

Regiruler

Checked the camouflage menu and I'm not seeing any new additions. If you refer to the killer whale-style camouflage, that's always been there, but it's a fairly late-game camo, unlocked at Level 30 or so. The stuff beyond that have dragon faces and the like.

I could have sworn I saw some level 20-somethings use it, but my memory is probably shot.

mihon

Now that they have fixed the win streak problem, I managed to get a 15 win streak on my first try. And this is not higher because I gotta sleep, lol.

Also, there were a couple of instances where enemy subs would tak a long time die, even after being hit by several long range torpedoes... don't know if it was lag or something similar, but I hope they didn't introduce bugs in this new version.

Elija2

I just noticed that when you hover your cursor over the Sub Wars icon on the HOME Menu it tells you that there is an update up on the header. I've never seen that notice for any other 3DS software before.

I just noticed that when you hover your cursor over the Sub Wars icon on the HOME Menu it tells you that there is an update up on the header. I've never seen that notice for any other 3DS software before.

I noticed this with Pokemon Y, as well. I'm new to the 3DS scene, so I just figured this was a regular feature.

Now that they have fixed the win streak problem, I managed to get a 15 win streak on my first try. And this is not higher because I gotta sleep, lol.

Also, there were a couple of instances where enemy subs would tak a long time die, even after being hit by several long range torpedoes... don't know if it was lag or something similar, but I hope they didn't introduce bugs in this new version.

There's a few possible causes that immediately spring to mind:

• If there's more submarines on your team than on the enemy team, the enemy subs all get health boosts to compensate for it.
  • Be sure that you're not trying to down a Super Cod within merely a few torpedo hits
  • It might be Brute crew members doing their thing; there's four of them in the game.

Elija2

So the Garfish was buffed and the Sea Hound was nerfed? I guess I was right to have been using the Sea Hound then! It still seems like the better sub so I'll continue using it.

I noticed this with Pokemon Y, as well. I'm new to the 3DS scene, so I just figured this was a regular feature.

I also have Pokemon so I guess I must have missed the notice when it got an update. It makes me wonder why the 3DS doesn't just automatically download game updates. They're usually pretty small (this one was less than 10MB and Pokemon's was less than 30MB) so they could be quickly downloaded with SpotPass.

I also have Pokemon so I guess I must have missed the notice when it got an update. It makes me wonder why the 3DS doesn't just automatically download game updates. They're usually pretty small (this one was less than 10MB and Pokemon's was less than 30MB) so they could be quickly downloaded with SpotPass.

I completely agree. I found the update system on 3DS to be a bit strange, but I just chalked it up to the general Nintendo shenanigans. Hopefully as time passes they'll streamline the process through system updates.

JoeInky

So my last 4 games have been victories but it still says my win streak is 0, is there something about win streaks that I don't know?

Looks like the update includes new pre-battle tips: I got one recommending banding together with your teammates and using Morse code to communicate your position to them.

In a way, the above tip can be taken as a buff to the Spy crew member, as the Spy intercepts enemy Morse Code signals. The more people communicate their positions through Morse code, the more enemy intelligence the Spy can gather!

Elija2

Looks like the update includes new pre-battle tips: I got one recommending banding together with your teammates and using Morse code to communicate your position to them.

In a way, the above tip can be taken as a buff to the Spy crew member, as the Spy intercepts enemy Morse Code signals. The more people communicate their positions through Morse code, the more enemy intelligence the Spy can gather!

They should put up a tip saying not to attack team members if you're on team red.

mihon

There's a few possible causes that immediately spring to mind:

• If there's more submarines on your team than on the enemy team, the enemy subs all get health boosts to compensate for it.
  • Be sure that you're not trying to down a Super Cod within merely a few torpedo hits
  • It might be Brute crew members doing their thing; there's four of them in the game.

I thought about that, but these happened in 4 vs 4 matches against Garfish and Sea Hound subs. And I was using the strongest torpedoes (the long range ones).

I will be paying attention if this occurs again.

R&D

Banned
Has anyone else noticed how surprisingly completely the 3-second chat limit has stopped E-spamming?

Wow haven't updated the game myself yet but those changes seem wonderful. Basically all the complaints I had about the game are more or less gone.

- E-spamming? GONE
- Win streaks interruption? GONE
- Less time before a match in the lobby? CHECK

Does the game still waits for the counter to reach 0 even if 8 players are found?

Does the game still waits for the counter to reach 0 even if 8 players are found?

Yes, but with a maximum time of 1 minute before a match, half of what it used to be, with the countdown starting as soon as two players are found for a single match, you're going to notice that your wait time will be a whole lot shorter.

Slermy

That's not new, I distinctly remember that one.

Anyway, glad to see they're supporting the game. Hopefully we'll get a way to play with friends, and some more (paid?) content!

Here's the latest from the laboratory of the self-proclaimed mad scientist of Steel Diver: Sub Wars:

zlCfzRoW8fs8hyYDEs

This submarine's crew members leave her stats untouched from the base stats, which means that this submarine has a surface speed rating of 9. To take advantage of this, I also have this submarine where she can heal on the surface. That's not where this submarine shines, though.

I have arranged the crew of this girl to make her a master of reconnaissance. The plan is to remain still to avoid sonar (and surface quickly and run if needed), use the extended sonar range to tell when an enemy might be coming for me, and, perhaps most importantly, 1) Radio to my allies friendly positions to facilitate regrouping, 2) Use process of elimination or even the extended sonar range to radio enemy positions, 3) Use the Spy to also identify enemy submarine positions.

Unfortunately, I do not get experience rewards for performing recon, but it's still highly effective with a smart team, the long range torpedoes are a bonus, and this would be a dream machine for local battles or if this game ever got a competitive scene.

If there is a Steel Diver: Sub Wars OT2, I vote to have the subtitle be "Oil and Water have Officially Mixed!"

So many things about this game seem to pair the most unlikely combinations together in a successful way:

• Nintendo players and online FPS games
  • Nintendo and online gaming infastructure
  • FPS console gaming and a system with a single control stick
  • A large Japanese video game developer and the FPS genre
And on top of all of that, submarines leak oil when they're at low health and surrounded by water!

PS: Hale-XF11, have you considered writing the title of each section of the OT in Morse code, with translations in parentheses?

mihon

I just had an idea about the controls. They should add an options in the settings to map the D-Pad to current actions that are only possible via the touch screen, namely:

- Mask
- Morse Code chat
- Periscope

Up: Periscope
Down: Mask
Left / Right: Morse Code chat

Or something similar to this.

mihon

I recently hit level 50 and the experience required for leveling up is ridiculous. It doesn't matter much, since you unlock everything at lvl 42, but it's funny that they actually made custom uniforms for levels 60+.

Also, it seems that the playerbase is getting somewhat stable. I'm having more and more game with high-level, premium players.

I recently hit level 50 and the experience required for leveling up is ridiculous. It doesn't matter much, since you unlock everything at lvl 42, but it's funny that they actually made custom uniforms for levels 60+.

Also, it seems that the playerbase is getting somewhat stable. I'm having more and more game with high-level, premium players.

I was quite amazed when I saw a player at level 50+ or 60+ with a win streak on the side of his or her sub 43 battles long! I wonder if it's possible to break 100? Similarly, I wonder if level 100 can be reached?

mihon

I was quite amazed when I saw a player at level 50+ or 60+ with a win streak on the side of his or her sub 43 battles long! I wonder if it's possible to break 100? Similarly, I wonder if level 100 can be reached?

My hunch is that level 99 is the max. But it would be cool if the max was 100 and it had a exclusive uniform.

Slermy

Finally picked up a Circle Pad Pro for my XL and tried out some Steel Diver with it.

I was really disappointed the throttle isn't analog with it, and still jumps in increments. The separation of turning and diving was unexpected, but I could see that working out well.

In general I think I'll keep it off though. This game just works so well as a quick "Pick-up-and-play", even moreso after the latest patch.

Think I my favorite ships are the ones with long range. I am pretty good at hitting enemies far away. Two long range hits should take out any subs

Think I my favorite ships are the ones with long range. I am pretty good at hitting enemies far away. Two long range hits should take out any subs

Yeah, I beat Mission 7 Level 3 that way: I got a fast-firing long-range submarine and stayed back from the Super Battleship. The result was that the ship's mid-range torpedoes couldn't reach me, I had plenty of time to dodge the fast torpedoes, and my hits did plenty of damage.

For those might be wondering, beating that level is how you see the game's credits.

Yeah, I beat Mission 7 Level 3 that way: I got a fast-firing long-range submarine and stayed back from the Super Battleship. The result was that the ship's mid-range torpedoes couldn't reach me, I had plenty of time to dodge the fast torpedoes, and my hits did plenty of damage.

For those might be wondering, beating that level is how you see the game's credits.

I'm stuck on that level right now. It's very difficult. Thanks for the tip.

Do you need to get a gold medal to see credits or is silver OK?

I will have to start playing on the internet to unlock the ships.

I don't have much time to play, but I finally got the Super Cod and gave it a try. I like the heavy armour and the syrupy way it controls also has a certain charm. I'll probably stick with it for a while.

danielcw

Do you feel the game is still active?

This thread has slowed down,
and I kinda lost interest and am playing other games on my 3DS
( the original Steel Diver included)

Zarovitch

Do you feel the game is still active?

This thread has slowed down,
and I kinda lost interest and am playing other games on my 3DS
( the original Steel Diver included)

I need to go back to the game, i stop playing it cause i'm hook to Monster Hunter for the WiiU.

Slermy

It's been about a week or two since I've played it last, but I still think it's fun. Some new patch or DLC would be a good way to keep the community active.

It's my main 3DS game, but between Advance Wars on the WiiU Virtual Console and World of Tanks/Warplanes (both of which are soon getting highly anticipated updates for me) on PC, I haven't gotten back to my 3DS in a while. My main submarine is still the Super Cod because I enjoy its playstyle so much.

Hale-XF11

New update incoming...

Hello. I am Takaya Imamura, the Director of Steel Diver: Sub Wars.
Thank you very much for playing.
I’d like to talk a little bit about some updates to the game we’re working on that we’re calling “Version 2.0”.

In Version 2.0, you will earn bonuses for consecutive victories in Internet Mode, even during Matched-Skills Battles. Also, owners of the Premium Version will have access to a larger arsenal of subs as they level up, and more subs will be made available for
purchase in the Online Shop within the game.

We also received a lot of feedback via Miiverse about players attacking their allies. In Version 2.0, players who torpedo their allies will receive a warning message on their screen, and points will be deducted for every hit. We’re also planning to add a Multiplayer stage and to continue to fine-tune the submarine stats, among other things.

We are working hard to get Version 2.0 ready for release in May, so please be on the lookout for it.

Thank you for your continued support of Steel Diver: Sub Wars!

moolamb

Wow that new update looks amazing!

I jumped on last night for the first time in a while and first match I went up against a LV99...

They should also make it so that you don't get duplicate crew members in single-player mode.

Getting all of them took a lot longer than it should have.

Camjo-Z

So I picked this back up only to remember why I put it down in the first place... I'm too good! I played 10 matches and was only sunk once, and even then it took two subs to bring me down (but not before I landed a killing blow on one of them, of course).

Top Bottom