• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Diver: Sub Wars |OT| Deep Deep Down

This game is really good. I'm not sure what's hooking me about it when I normally don't go for online games that aren't tf2.....

I don't understand how I got decent at steering my sub either. I feel so freaking elegant sometimes, it doesn't even make sense.

I don't understand how I got decent at steering my sub either. I feel so freaking elegant sometimes, it doesn't even make sense.

I think the fact that pushing the control stick to one side will keep your submarine turning in that direction regardless of if you're going forwards, backwards, or stopped might have something to do with it. The fact that you keep turning in that direction even when going in reverse is the exact opposite of driving a car and even the opposite of how rudders work, but it makes turning in the game more fluent than if the realistic/standard approach were taken because you don't need to keep track of your speed at the same time as when you're turning and looking for enemies.

Neiteio

This game is so fun it inspired me to pick up the original steel diver.

Damnit :(
The original Steel Diver is excellent. The ideal Steel Diver sequel would combine the side-scrolling missions of the original with the first-person shooter of Sub Wars. The campaign could alternate between the level types, and of course the multiplayer would be classic Sub Wars.

mihon

I really wish Nintendo / Vitei would update this game... more stages, more subs, more everything!

But knowing Nintendo... I really doubt it :/

Neiteio

I really wish Nintendo / Vitei would update this game... more stages, more subs, more everything!

But knowing Nintendo... I really doubt it :/
More subs seems likely, since the ships available for sale in the DLC shop all have dates on them, suggesting more will be added in the future.

leroidys

Aww... The original is a favorite of mine. I've been waiting for NOA to put it up on the eShop forever.

The original Steel Diver is excellent. The ideal Steel Diver sequel would combine the side-scrolling missions of the original with the first-person shooter of Sub Wars. The campaign could alternate between the level types, and of course the multiplayer would be classic Sub Wars.

I'm more offended by the length. There are only 7 levels? Also really not enjoying the stylus only controls.

Neiteio

I'm more offended by the length. There are only 7 levels? Also really not enjoying the stylus only controls.
Seven missions you beat with all three ships. The missions get quite long, given the amount of multitasking you have to do. I really like manipulating the switches, toggles, etc. The original is more fickle with things like forward and reverse momentum, which makes it quite challenging during heated boss confrontations... Also note there are Time Trials, which have their own dedicated levels, and of course the Periscope and Battleship minigames. All that being said, it should've been priced at $10 (I got mine for free during Amazon's generous 3DS launch deal).

mihon

More subs seems likely, since the ships available for sale in the DLC shop all have dates on them, suggesting more will be added in the future.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I think they really can expand this game, they have a good basic foundation here.

I've been checking the submarine shop frequently to see if there are any new submarines. None yet. They'll have to add one or more new submarines at least once before we can begin getting an idea for the content addition schedule!

mihon

Don't know if anyone else noticed this, but the starting positions for each team are completely fixed. This is true for all maps. I think I would prefer if they were ramdomized.

I also don't know how I feel about the searcher crew member. Sometimes I think the game would be better without him.

Don't know if anyone else noticed this, but the starting positions for each team are completely fixed. This is true for all maps. I think I would prefer if they were ramdomized.

I noticed that they're fixed in the underwater base and hot springs. Interesting to know that this is the case in all of the stages.

I was having a tough time beating Level 2 of Mission 7 with the Super Cod (My HP would always end up matching the Super Battleship's all the way to the end, but she would often sink me juuuust before I could get the final hit in), so I took my one-second-reloading German U-boat for a spin against her:

zlCfzRlaT2QaUdgUNS

DPM and mobility, baby!

I was having a tough time beating Level 2 of Mission 7 with the Super Cod (My HP would always end up matching the Super Battleship's all the way to the end, but she would often sink me juuuust before I could get the final hit in), so I took my one-second-reloading German U-boat for a spin against her:

zlCfzRlaT2QaUdgUNS

DPM and mobility, baby!

Is that a Shop purchase?

Zarovitch

I also don't know how I feel about the searcher crew member. Sometimes I think the game would be better without him.

What was the problem with starting position? I see no difference yet.
But the stability is much better now, last night i got no disconnect.

and what's the searcher crew member?

Is that a Shop purchase?

Yeah, I purchased the Type VII U-Boat because it had a default loading speed of 4 seconds instead of the typical 5. I then filled all three crew member positions with Gunslingers to reduce the reload time from 4 seconds to (nominally, it seems) 1 second.

and what's the searcher crew member?

The Searcher crew member shows you the positions of your allies on the chart accessible with the L button. From there,you can use process of elimination on the highlighted sectors of the chart and/or cross-reference your chart with your sonar to figure out where your enemies are.

Zarovitch

Yeah, I purchased the Type VII U-Boat because it had a default loading speed of 4 seconds instead of the typical 5. I then filled all three crew member positions with Gunslingers to reduce the reload time from 4 seconds to (nominally, it seems) 1 second.

The Searcher crew member shows you the positions of your allies on the chart accessible with the L button. From there,you can use process of elimination on the highlighted sectors of the chart and/or cross-reference your chart with your sonar to figure out where your enemies are.

ok thanks!
Is it with the L button that we see in wich sector we are?
Sometime i want to tell my partner where the last enemy is but i don't know where i see the sector.

I should look in the option more :)

ok thanks!
Is it with the L button that we see in wich sector we are?
Sometime i want to tell my partner where the last enemy is but i don't know where i see the sector.

I should look in the option more :)

When you press the L button, you get a chart of the map. Without the Searcher crew member, only you will be on that map, but with the Searcher, you will see white dots for each of your human-controlled allies. The map iself is divided into a 6×6 grid if sectors. If a submarine is within a certain part of the map, friendly or otherwise, whether you have the Searcher or not, the 2×2 division of the map (There are 9 of these, in a 3×3 square over the entire map) containing that submarine will be highlighted in green. The Searcher crew member lets you see where your allies are on this map so you can narrow down if a sector might just be highlighted due to your friendly subs, or if there's certainly an enemy submarine in a highlighted region.

mihon

Preety much what RMS Gigantic said. With the searcher crew member, a veteran player can instantly know where all allies and enemies are.

In other news, I had the most hilarious match ever. It was on the islands map, which has some very deep hiding places. At the end, only one enemy was left and there was me and an ally. The last enemy hid, and we kept looking for him for like 6 minutes. I knew he was in one of the chasms, but the way your visibility is reduced, it was tough finding him. When the clock was at 9 minutes and 10 seconds, I finally saw him parked at the bottom of the map, literally touching the ocean floor. The depth marker was indicating something like 530. If time ran out, we would have won anyway, but it was good finding him after so much time.

moolamb

Wow, I'm on great win streak and counting. I think they finally fixed the network... Either that or fewer people playing...

Edit: *disconnect* noooooooo! My 8 win streak!

Slermy

I get disconnects all the time in Random Battle mode. Never been able to have more than five consecutive matches.

Matched Skills on the other hand is pretty rock solid.

*shrug*

I get disconnects all the time in Random Battle mode. Never been able to have more than five consecutive matches.

Matched Skills on the other hand is pretty rock solid.

*shrug*

Yeah, that's how it's been for as long as anyone can remember. I wonder if the win streak tallying might actually be responsible for the error codes?

Got back to using my single-second reloading U-boat. It's almost game-breaking! I can reload and turn so quickly that I can reveal an enemy's position while they are masked, and then hit them a second time by estimating their new position, and keep it up until their cloak wears off! The main flaw is that the U-boat can't take all that many hits.

And now I just noticed that the Deep Manitee has 3 Health. I'm going to go ahead and get a third Health -1 crew member to see if it's possible to have a submarine with 0 health.

Edit: Tried; just like how a stat can't go above 10, it also can't go below 1.

mihon

I have been playing less lately since I've unlocked everything, but the game is still fun. I've been getting less matchmaking errors, probably due to the reduced number of player.

I'm also finding more players with the premium version of the game, which is cool. Tired of seeing the first 2 subs over and over, lol.

Slermy

I'm still enjoying this, just unlocked the dragon pattern.

I seem to have trouble finding any matched-skill matches anymore though. Fortunately, Random Battle always matches me quickly.

Also, thanks to the loading screen tip, I now know you can zoom when firing torpedoes. -_-

mihon

I'm still enjoying this, just unlocked the dragon pattern.

I seem to have trouble finding any matched-skill matches anymore though. Fortunately, Random Battle always matches me quickly.

Also, thanks to the loading screen tip, I now know you can zoom when firing torpedoes. -_-

I think most people doesn't know about the zoom feature when firing. I think the game doesn't explain this in the tutorial. I also can't find skill matched mathces either, probably because I'm at a very high level (45).

One thing that is cool: if you look at your mii in battle records, it will gradually change uniforms when leveling up. They seem to change every 10 levels, and I think they actually made those up to level 99. I know of one player who is level 61, and he has a unique uniform for that level range.

Slermy

I noticed the uniform thing too. I think the frame changes as well.

Regarding the zooming with torpedoes, I find it's only useful in a handful of situations, so it doesn't make that large of a difference.

gerudoman

Has anyone been able to rescue the crew member number 23? +1 to submerged speed I believe, is the only online one I'm missing after near 150 online matches.

I think most people doesn't know about the zoom feature when firing. I think the game doesn't explain this in the tutorial..

The game does explain it in the tutorial. If memory serves, it tells you to hold down A before firing your first torpedo so you can see it.

In my one-second reloading submarine, I often encounter this because the game gives my reload time an artificial delay due to its speed, so I end up accidentally zooming in as I mash the A-button between rounds.

mihon

The game does explain it in the tutorial. If memory serves, it tells you to hold down A before firing your first torpedo so you can see it.

In my one-second reloading submarine, I often encounter this because the game gives my reload time an artificial delay due to its speed, so I end up accidentally zooming in as I mash the A-button between rounds.

Oh right, I just checked and the tutorial briefly mentions the zooming feature. Maybe the issue is that to progress in the tutorial you only need to press Y, instead of doing the actions requested.

Hale-XF11

Apparently there's a "Developers' Room" community on Miiverse for this game and an announcement was just recently posted by Tadashi Sugiyama, the producer of Sub Wars.

Hello. This is Tadashi Sugiyama, Producer of Steel Diver: Sub Wars.
Thank you very much for playing Steel Diver: Sub Wars. I wanted to give you all a heads-up that we are planning to release an update for this game soon.

After this update, we should see fewer errors with the following error codes: [018-0501], [018-0502], and [018-0506].
Beyond this, we plan to continue improving the quality of the game's network connectivity.

We are also planning to implement a number of requests we have received from players in this update. Details will follow in the near future.

Finally, we have decided to close the Morse code chat room, so that change is included in this update as well.

You will, however, still be able to use Morse code chat while waiting for online battles to begin, and during game play.

I am thinking about preparing something to replace the Morse code chat room, so please be on the lookout for future updates.

Thank you.

link

I just got a 3DS XL and I'm curious about this game. Are there a lot of people playing online? How about players from GAF specifically?

Apparently there's a "Developers' Room" community on Miiverse for this game and an announcement was just recently posted by Tadashi Sugiyama, the producer of Sub Wars.

link

1) I marked that community as a favorite just like I did with the Smash Bros. development one.

2) I read the remarks and am massively excited to see what the update will bring, especially the features requested by fans that they mentioned!

Edit: Glad it was pointed out here that the update is already available. Going through with the 1.1 download now.

Hale-XF11

Awesome news! I wonder what the new features will be. :-O
Get excite!

So version 1.1 is out. 76 blocks.
Oh wow, that was quicker than I thought. Didn't expect this today.

1) I marked that community as a favorite just like I did with the Smash Bros. development one.
I did this as well and added the link to the OP. Can't wait to see how this game progresses. I hope they continually update it.

2) I read the remarks and am massively excited to see what the update will bring, especially the features requested by fans that they mentioned!
It makes me hopeful to know that they're actually taking feedback into consideration with updates. That's pretty cool.

mihon

Posting from the other thread... credits goes to user StreetsAhead!

StreetsAhead said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/...ate/index.html

So, Morse Code chat room was shut due to inappropriate use by some users.

1 minute for Morse code before battles, not 2.
3 seconds between Morse code messages now.

Fixed disconnection errors during online play.

Fixed streaks breaking when disconnection errors occur.

Adjusted game balance by altering attributes of some subs.

Hooray for win streaks fix! I'm gonna check the balance changes and see if I can spot the differences.

I'm gonna check the balance changes and see if I can spot the differences.
The first noticeable difference I see is that the Garfish, the starting submarine, is no longer 4s all around: it now has 5s in surfaced speed and dive/surface. It also looks like it got bumped down from long-range to medium range.

... And I don't think the Neptune was always a 6-torpedo submarine with long-range torpedoes and a 5-second reload time, but with three gunslingers in the thing, I'll be sure to take this 2-second-reloading long-range sub out once the server maintenance finishes! Given that long-range torpedoes are stronger than short-range ones, this should have even better DPM than my U-boat!

mihon

List of sub balance changes incoming! (I'm not completely sure on the old values, my sources may be wrong :p)

01: Garfish

Reload time 5 -> 6 seconds
Surface speed 4 -> 5
Dive/Surface 4 -> 5

02: Sea Hound

Torpedoes 8 - > 6
Surface Speed 4 -> 5
Submerged Speed 7 -> 6

03: Neptune

Torpedoes 4 -> 6
Reload 6 -> 5 seconds
Surface Speed 6 - > 5
Dive/ Surface 4 -> 5

Other subs didn't receive any changes,

RMS Gigantic said:
The first noticeable difference I see is that the Garfish, the starting submarine, is no longer 4s all around: it now has 5s in surfaced speed and dive/surface. It also looks like it got bumped down from long-range to medium range.

... And I don't think the Neptune was always a 6-torpedo submarine with long-range torpedoes and a 5-second reload time, but with three gunslingers in the thing, I'll be sure to take this 2-second-reloading long-range sub out once the server maintenance finishes! Given that long-range torpedoes are stronger than short-range ones, this should have even better DPM than my U-boat!

AFAIK, Garfish was always a med range sub. I'm 99% sure on that.

Elija2

No more morse code chat rooms? Boo! Even though I didn't use them much, they were a fun novelty.

Either way, I'm glad they're supporting the game and taking requests into account.

Had there been much in the way of requests for rebalancing early subs though? I can see why they might want to do it now that more people are up at higher levels in the premium version, but I hadn't thought it was all that big an issue.

It should be noted that this update is coming one month to the day of Steel Diver: Sub Wars' release. It seems possible that monthly updates might become standard, particularly given how precise the timing is with this update's release.

Also, IGN published a review for this game today.

The three things I like most are how 1) the release of the game was so sudden that it took IGN a month to publish their review, 2) their review came on the exact date that an update for it came out, so there's a chance that some of the review's material might be out of date, and 3) one of the positive things they list is simply, "Morse code!" I swear that particular quirk occupies a sweet spot for a lot of people.

Regiruler

Was hoping they altered the supply ships health a little so they weren't such a chore to shoot down. As is, they don't do a tremendous amount of healing and they have so much health themselves that in most matches in supply ship maps completely ignore them.

Top Bottom